can you

patea

does game and fish leave a certain percentage of tags for the random draw? if so, you have a small chance of drawing a limited entry tag as first choice and a general region tag, besides g or h as second choice right. also, i was wondering if the special draw puts you in a different random draw pool than the standard price draw pool? or do they lump everything together? Is the random draw done after the preference point draw and the non successful people with points put in the random draw with everyone else? Its a little confusing for non res, thanks preston

The short answer to your question is yes. You can draw a limited entry or region tag without any points as long as you get lucky in the random draw. This is true even in regions G and H.

For the limited entry hunts, if the number of tags is really low, there will not be any NR tags available in the random draw.

The preference point system is designed to improve an applicant's odds of eventually drawing a license in a hard-to-draw
hunt area. Preference points are utilized in conducting the resident and nonresident moose, resident and nonresident full
price bighorn sheep, nonresident elk, nonresident deer and nonresident antelope drawings. Seventy-five percent (75%) of
available licenses in each hunt area and license type will be allocated to the preference point drawing. Applicants with the
highest preference point ranking will receive priority in the preference point drawing. The remaining twenty-five percent
(25%) of available licenses will be allocated in a random drawing regardless of preference points. The random drawing is
intended to provide everyone who applies a chance of drawing a license, regardless of their preference point total. All applicants will participate in the preference point drawing even if they have no preference points. After the preference point drawing is completed, all unsuccessful applicants will then participate in the random drawing.

LAST EDITED ON May-12-17 AT 01:35PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-12-17 AT 01:33?PM (MST)

thanks the percentage in the special draw verses the random draw after the regular preference point draw was what had me a little confused

The other percentage figure you need to remember is that once the PP Draws get 75% of the tags that figure is then split again with 60% of them going to the regular price draw and 40% to the higher priced special draw.

LAST EDITED ON May-12-17 AT 05:21PM (MST)[p]>The short answer to your question
>is yes. You can
>draw a limited entry or
>region tag without any points
>as long as you get
>lucky in the random draw.
> This is true even
>in regions G and H.
>

This is incorrect.
Points are used when you draw first choice full price tags in either the pp or random draws.

>LAST EDITED ON May-12-17
>AT 05:21?PM (MST)

>
>>The short answer to your question
>>is yes. You can
>>draw a limited entry or
>>region tag without any points
>>as long as you get
>>lucky in the random draw.
>> This is true even
>>in regions G and H.
>>
>
>This is incorrect.
>Points are used when you draw
>first choice full price tags
>in either the pp or
>random draws.

I hate to challenge the all knowing Bob, but please explain what is incorrect about that "short answer" and what it has to do with using up points.

LAST EDITED ON May-12-17 AT 08:26PM (MST)[p]>>>The short answer to your question
>>>is yes. You can
>>>draw a limited entry or
>>>region tag without any points
>>>as long as you get
>>>lucky in the random draw.
>>> This is true even
>>>in regions G and H.
>>>
>>
>>This is incorrect.
>>Points are used when you draw
>>first choice full price tags
>>in either the pp or
>>random draws.
>
>I hate to challenge the all
>knowing Bob, but please explain
>what is incorrect about that
>"short answer" and what it
>has to do with using
>up points.

What WB stated would be correct IF the OP has any PPs, but he didn't say whether he does or not. Many people don't know that you lose any PPs if you draw your first choice in the Random Draw just like you lose them in the PP Draw. The answer that WB stated was incorrect was actually not because Boomer was talking about a person drawing a tag with no PPs in the Random Draw, not that he wouldn't lose PPs if he drew.

>LAST EDITED ON May-12-17
>AT 08:26?PM (MST)

>
>>>>The short answer to your question
>>>>is yes. You can
>>>>draw a limited entry or
>>>>region tag without any points
>>>>as long as you get
>>>>lucky in the random draw.
>>>> This is true even
>>>>in regions G and H.
>>>>
>>>
>>>This is incorrect.
>>>Points are used when you draw
>>>first choice full price tags
>>>in either the pp or
>>>random draws.
>>
>>I hate to challenge the all
>>knowing Bob, but please explain
>>what is incorrect about that
>>"short answer" and what it
>>has to do with using
>>up points.
>
>
>What WB stated would be correct
>IF the OP has any
>PPs, but he didn't say
>whether he does or not.
> Many people don't know
>that you lose any PPs
>if you draw your first
>choice in the Random Draw
>just like you lose them
>in the PP Draw.
>The answer that WB stated
>was incorrect was actually not
>because Boomer was talking about
>a person drawing a tag
>with no PPs in the
>Random Draw, not that he
>wouldn't lose PPs if he
>drew.

The answer was you can draw without PP if you get lucky in random. That is correct.

>I was fishing, not paying attention,
>and assumed he was referring
>to "burning" his points.

You know what happens when you "assume" anything WB, LOL!

There will be tags for all the random draws. A set number are set aside for each unit or region for a random draw.

TG just so I am clear in the Random draw everyone has the same chance of drawing regardless of how many points you had going into the draw ? Basically everyone has one name in the draw ?

LAST EDITED ON May-13-17 AT 12:28PM (MST)[p]>TG just so I am clear
>in the Random draw everyone
>has the same chance of
>drawing regardless of how many
>points you had going into
>the draw ? Basically everyone
>has one name in the
>draw ?

That's correct. Everyone goes into the PP Draw first even if you don't have any PPs and then all those that don't draw a tag go into the Random Draw where no PPs are used and everyone has an equal chance of drawing those tags. However, if you draw your first choice in either one you lose whatever PPs you had. See the last couple sentences in my post #3 that was CP'd right out of the G&F Booklet.

Thanks I thought so but wasn't sure.
Usually I don't put in for a hunt unless I have a pretty good chance to draw much easier to plan my vacations that way. I'm going to put in for the same Antelope hunt I drew last year so with 0 points the random is the only chance I have. According to last years draw I would have about a 15% chance to draw.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom