Changes Needed to Secondary Draw and Re-Issue Process

…We are one and done.

An NR youth can sneak around the quota and do the same thing every single year in the dad draw. And accumulate points at the same time.

Colorado’s NR quota is already a joke. But it should strictly adhere to what it does purport to have as a quota.

I just wonder if Utah or Wyoming would allow a draw (that includes premium tags) that gives preference to out of state youth over residents of any age?

Well both of my boys did not get a tag last year in the second draw so playing the system will not always work. Also I agree that if they draw a tag then their points should be set back to whatever it would take in the regular draw.
Nevada probably has the best system for returned tags. With NR going to NR and R going to R. I think this would be the most fair system and still stay with youth getting 1st opportunity at these tags. Hopefully no changes are made and my kids will get a chance to hunt these tags that if not would never have a chance to.
I am sure resident youth will have more than enough opportunities to draw these tags in the future. I am also pretty that the majority of tags went to residents which gives their youths a great opportunity also.
Wish everybody a great season. Without a doubt every tag will get harder to draw.

Let’s say for hunt code deer 21 2nd. What if 10 NR turned in tags and 2 res turned in tags. In reality the 10 tags should go back to NR and the 2 should go back to Res as that is the way they were drawn from the primary and would keep the split as it was originally.
This is a fair point, if they make any changes at all then returned tags should go to what they came from.

Res to res, non to non res.

I bet it's a decent assumption that more of the higher quality tags probably come from non residents over residents.
I just wonder if Utah or Wyoming would allow a draw (that includes premium tags) that gives preference to out of state youth over residents of any age?
Utah gives all tags to the next in line. And have taken big steps to make it harder to return a tag.

I'm not certain but I don't believe Wyoming allows you to turn a tag back.

If you want to completely do away with an opportunity at a return tag, by all means go that route.

Personally I love Colorados return system and have taken advantage of it.

You turn in your tag you lose your points. That would change so much in these systems. No buying preference points. That would also change things for the best. Apply for a hunt or don’t. No buying points. If you draw you lose your points. No matter what. Point creep would shrink in ten years time.

Colorado is quick to give PPs. But the only way to cash them in is first choice?
If you hunt you use them or at least do not get a PP.

First of all I don't agree with a NR having the same chance at the secondary or re-issue tags as Residents.

One of the reasons such a high percentage of NR youth drew tags may be because a lot of the resident youth may of drawn their tag in the primary draw and didn't enter the secondary draw? Just a thought?

Disclaimer- I didn't research the data to see if more NR youth applied in the secondary draw than resident youth.

I'm just glad that youth get a preference.

No other state makes such a lions share of their budget from NRs. Lower our prices and raise yours and this goes away ?.

I know you are ok with raising prices (as I would be if I were a resident), but all surveys I have seen in the past have been pretty one sided: keep resident pricing low. And I really don’t mean to be a Pr$ck to keep bringing this up. But you have to know the “why” before you can come up with a plan to make real change.

No other state makes such a lions share of their budget from NRs. Lower our prices and raise yours and this goes away ?.
Turn into a resident and i can guarantee your rhetoric will turn 180. Nonresident already get more than any other state, and while not cheap, Nonresident tags are affordable. Price doesn't keep me from applying in Wyoming, yet. You're from Texas. I hunt all the time, all over. Ive never hunted texas. I sat in a tower blind once, over a corn pile, with a buddy one time, if that counts. Quit whining about nonresident allocation and price, please! If you cant afford to come here every year, thats ok, and normal, in the world i grew up in. That's what your own backyard is for. For 32 years my hunting consisted of opening the backdoor, and walking 400 yards, to the woods behind my chicken barns. Allocation is more than fair. If you arent drawing a tag, or multiple tags, every year, its by choice or ignorance. Life isnt fair, get over it. And when you say "you this, you that" it reveals a little bit. I love it here, but its a little intense sometimes. I hunt with fists full of tags, but they are opportunity hunts, not coveted hunts. I have no say at all in cpw policy. I cant say they have ever followed my suggestions. Probably never read them even. If i (or any other normal guy in colorado) have so much influence, why is this?

Colorado is in turmoil right now in the hunting world. Wolves, CWD, voters passing wildlife regulations, secondary draw, etc…. Hopefully there is some resistance to this **** or things could get real bad real fast. One thing I noticed on this thread is that half the folks posting have no idea how the current secondary draw works, yet are complaining. It’s real hard to get your voice heard if you’re talking out of your ass. I’d suggest that those in disagreement with current policies educate themselves on what they are in disagreement with before screaming at those in charge. It’s a lot easier to dismiss a voice that lacks knowledge of the issue at hand.

Good luck. I hope Colorado hunters can somehow stop this train that is currently steamrolling through hunting.

Colorado is in turmoil right now in the hunting world. Wolves, CWD, voters passing wildlife regulations, secondary draw, etc…. Hopefully there is some resistance to this **** or things could get real bad real fast. One thing I noticed on this thread is that half the folks posting have no idea how the current secondary draw works, yet are complaining. It’s real hard to get your voice heard if you’re talking out of your ass. I’d suggest that those in disagreement with current policies educate themselves on what they are in disagreement with before screaming at those in charge. It’s a lot easier to dismiss a voice that lacks knowledge of the issue at hand.

Good luck. I hope Colorado hunters can somehow stop this train that is currently steamrolling through hunting.
It may be all over but the crime. The ultra progressive elements of the metro areas are in the drivers seat with foot on the pedal and no chance of slowing down it appears. I think if some of those nuts had it their way hunting would disappear and we would be left with “animal utopia” where the wolves take care of excess animals and everything is in harmony without man’s hand

1689203421977.jpeg

According to what I was told by the draw coordinator on 07/12/23 residents and non residents are all in the same pool for the secondary draw. There are no % of res vs non res in the secondary draw. That goes for youth also.

I disagree. Go totally limited with elk, but stay very liberal with resident tags. Cut NR tags.
Otherwise you will continue to have people move around too much. Helps overcrowding when they can’t pick up and move 3 units away

And CPW won’t cut resident tag numbers short. It would cost them too much money. But what do I know. Just a NR.

Last edited:
I disagree. Go totally limited with elk, but stay very liberal with resident tags. Cut NR tags.
Otherwise you will continue to have people move around too much. Helps overcrowding when they can’t pick up and move 3 units away

And CPW won’t cut resident tag numbers short. It would cost them too much money. But what do I know. Just a NR.
I actually agree to a point, I think if you keep otc for residents you do it with DAU’s so 3–6 unit chunks. But need to make all limited for NR. That means 2&3rd rifle not just archery. And if you want to sell some otc to NR make it OTC w caps and do the same thing. Make people pick a DAU

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom