Chevy half ton 3.0 diesel

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
Anyone have one? What have you pulled, how has it performed? Any regrets or surprises. I really am thinking about getting a 2023. I don't pull a ton, when I do it's usually around 3000 lbs. Most I would pull would be 5500. What do you think?

I have a '20 gmc with the 3.0. I have had it 2 years now and have about 35k miles on it. I am amazed with the motors performance. I pull the same boat as I did with my 2014 ram 2500 and gets 15 mpg when the ram would get 10 mpg. I tow my 2 horses with them no problem. The setting for off-road are awesome for downhill is awesome in mountain roads. Integrated trailer brakes work great, engine brake could be better. But after all, it is a 1/2 ton. The unreal thing is on the freeway it will average 28-30 mpg for the entire tank, around 700 miles. The only thing is the suspension is a little soft in the rear, doing airbags soon. It's the only time I have ever went back to the salesman and said they were right. If you don't need a 3/4 ton. Buy it.

If you don't mind them not starting for half an hour , or longer they do get pretty good fuel milage.

The belt deal is a total joke, even if you get rid of it before it needs replaced the resale is going to reflect it.

Considering GM's basically horrible track record on diesel engines I decided to stay with the 6.2 on my wifes new pickup.

A Gaser for Pulling a Trailer?

Get a Belcher!

Delete It!

Tune It!

Pipe It!

Enjoy!

Delete here on the front = prison sentence

Tow the trailer. 10500.

Father's day
4th
Labor day.

Come hunts we leave the sxs home, so it's under 10k.

The 5.9 sits in the garage most of the year

With a 8,800 pound horse trailer, then add 5 horses, tack and gear a gasser wouldn't handle it. I put a bigger turbo, injectors and some other goodies so my diesel can pass the 5mph campers going up the mountain.

You Must Be Almost The Only Guy That Leaves the SXS's Home During Season?
Delete here on the front = prison sentence

Tow the trailer. 10500.

Father's day
4th
Labor day.

Come hunts we leave the sxs home, so it's under 10k.

The 5.9 sits in the garage most of the year

With a 8,800 pound horse trailer, then add 5 horses, tack and gear a gasser wouldn't handle it. I put a bigger turbo, injectors and some other goodies so my diesel can pass the 5mph campers going up the mountain.
that is a heavy empty trailer......

Why would you even want one of those…
We run mostly Powerstrokes on our oilfield service trucks. We have 3 Duramaxs. All our trucks are 2019 and up and I think 19 in total now. The Fords are hands down the most reliable trucks out here on these crappy oilfield roads and pulling anywhere from 9000-18000+ daily. I would not even consider buying another Duramax. Ram is out of the question also.
We did recently have to replace a fuel system on one of our F350 duallies. $15k or so. Got water in the diesel somewhere and killed it.

We run mostly Powerstrokes on our oilfield service trucks. We have 3 Duramaxs. All our trucks are 2019 and up and I think 19 in total now. The Fords are hands down the most reliable trucks out here on these crappy oilfield roads and pulling anywhere from 9000-18000+ daily. I would not even consider buying another Duramax. Ram is out of the question also.
We did recently have to replace a fuel system on one of our F350 duallies. $15k or so. Got water in the diesel somewhere and killed it.
no....someone put def in the fuel

no....someone put def in the fuel
No sir. We were allowed to pull samples and send to 3rd party lab. Water in the diesel.
Our insurance company rep told us if we could get written complaints from the last place we bought diesel, they would cover it. The truckstop laughed.

one of your guys put def in the hole 2" to the right..........not the first by far
water is cheap fix....def is 15K

Must be warm.

Always fun watching Powerstrokes realize their glow plugs are chit on a cold day.

Cummins just start. Trannies are ****, but they run

Usually third day of elk hunt, 0-20 degrees we have a truck start contest. The Cummins has no issues. Duramax struggles.

2 7.3 sound like someone is beating them with a sledge hammer

Not Braggin on any one Brand!

But if That DURAMAX Isn't Starting in WARM Weather Like That Your Buddy better get something on it Fixed!

Usually third day of elk hunt, 0-20 degrees we have a truck start contest. The Cummins has no issues. Duramax struggles.

I ran into a guy at Rural King and unbeknownst to me but knownst to him he has one of those GMC small diesels and he said he loves it an it hauls whatever he wants to haul!
Now is he one of these guys that always gets 16 to 17 mpg city and 22 to 24 mpg on highway on any year GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 when I’ve owned several since 1985,1993, 2000,2001,2005,2006 and never got more then maybe 12 city and 16 tops highway! Now my 2016 gets 14 city and 20 highway but is the first sierra that ever got that LOL!

Friend of mine has the 1/2 ton Ram Eco Diesel. Hauls his pretty good sized Duckworth all over the Idaho and Utah lake systems. Seems to like it plenty. Might be something to look into.

First time I started my ‘02 Duramax in -35*F I thought it was going to explode!! 20 years and 320k miles later it still goes. Just wish I could get this 20mpg towing that I hear others brag about. ????

My F 350 Dually was in the shop for 5 weeks. Not what your thinking. Body work. So I was forced to do a little hauling of trailers with these new super half tons that can do everything. I was not impressed. Griz don't you live down south ? Did you see that Toyota Sequoia that rolled on Friday towing a 25 foot travel trailer on I 15. It still had paper plates on it. Sure the Toyota had a V8. But to small to tow well. You can have all the power in the world but thats not the problem. Even those half ton F 150 are rated for 11,300 pounds. But I don't think I would trust it trying to stop that load ! Just my two cents on towing. I once thought about buying a Taco for every day driving when I didn't need my Diesel truck. It didn't work out on paper.

So we went from the OP towing 3000 pounds once in awhile to needing a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel that starts in the cold to be able to do it. Griz, I think the truck you are looking at would be perfect. mtmuley

You can tow 3000 lbs with a Ford Focus. So the OP could save some money and just tow with what he currently owns. And he won’t have to buy new gay pride bumper stickers and Biden 2024 stickers!

Well I talked to a couple diesel mechanics today. And I was ready to place an order but I'm glad I talked to them. I told them my commute to work is about 5 miles. They told me that they would not buy a diesel. They said the number one issue they see is that these diesels get plugged up because they aren't driven enough to heat up to the proper temperature and burn everything out of the system. They told me the half ton chevy diesel is great, but repeated short trips will inevitably lead to engine problems. Guess I will look at the gassers.

3.5 ford eco boost gas engine is the ****.Sold my my pre emission 06 dura max and best decision I made.Did not need 3/4 . Have 1100 pound pop up camper and pull 4000 lb bass boat.Air bags and and ready to go.

I am no mechanic by any means far from it. Do you think a gas engine is just as likely to have the same issues as a diesel? They told me it's because of the Diesels takes so long to heat up.
well....that does make some sense......but they all need to get to operating temp for a while to steam out all the moisture from internal condensation that is created inside the engine block.....the old "only driven by a little old lady from Pasadena" is a used car to pass on. The salesman's car that drove 250 miles a day would be a way cleaner engine....inside.

First time I started my ‘02 Duramax in -35*F I thought it was going to explode!! 20 years and 320k miles later it still goes. Just wish I could get this 20mpg towing that I hear others brag about. ????
That’s only the guys with chips. They all whopperdick the math.

day in and day out I average 10.5 mpg......long bed crewcab duramax.....
I got my azz chewed once a quarter for about 20 years because I had responsibility for a big fleet that included over 100 light trucks.

I would say short trips just running around, gas all the way. Long hauls with a load, diesel all the way. There is no question that diesels cost more per mile to maintain. We ran mostly ferds.

My first good company truck was a brand new f250 with the 6.9 international. That thing was my all time favorite truck. Never turned it off. :cool:

I knew all you guys like big loads in your “truck”. Is that what you boomers call it these days?

Gas doesn’t do this well…..but…we are off track…
1A8F2C32-1959-48EB-8C93-91C80266F4C7.png

Thank GAWD They Have More Power Now Than a 6.9!

I got my azz chewed once a quarter for about 20 years because I had responsibility for a big fleet that included over 100 light trucks.

I would say short trips just running around, gas all the way. Long hauls with a load, diesel all the way. There is no question that diesels cost more per mile to maintain. We ran mostly ferds.

My first good company truck was a brand new f250 with the 6.9 international. That thing was my all time favorite truck. Never turned it off. :cool:

Also has living quarters in it. Double walled also. Being doubled wall the weight adds up quick
Nothin’ like feeling like your in the tractor pulls every time you hook up to that thing! Gonna need two of them 1/2 tons to pull your rig around! When they gonna make these trucks hook together like a train??? Problem solved!

Nothin’ like feeling like your in the tractor pulls every time you hook up to that thing! Gonna need two of them 1/2 tons to pull your rig around! When they gonna make these trucks hook together like a train??? Problem solved!

I got no issues towing. With a randys stage 3 transmission, s300 turbo, 100hp injectors and all the other goodies I got I can't complain. My only complaint is I wish I had a bigger back seat

Blue hair, I totally agree about the extra cost on fixing the twin turbo engines. That is the the reason I Got the 6 year bumper to bumper warranty and I will never be out of a warranty on these new driving computers

In places where people actually use their pickups it's either Ford or Dodge. the GM Duralax is a distant 3rd .

Other than the 6.4 Navistar Ford used a few years all the very worst diesel engines in the history of pickups have been GM abortions . so now the 3.0, do you feel lucky ? good luck.

A half ton pickup for towing is like using a weed eater to mow your lawn, just get the right tool for the job. they're for transportation and fun, I just jumped ship on my ZR2 order and ordered a new TRX . it's all about fuel economy you know.

In places where people actually use their pickups it's either Ford or Dodge. the GM Duralax is a distant 3rd .

Other than the 6.4 Navistar Ford used a few years all the very worst diesel engines in the history of pickups have been GM abortions . so now the 3.0, do you feel lucky ? good luck.

A half ton pickup for towing is like using a weed eater to mow your lawn, just get the right tool for the job. they're for transportation and fun, I just jumped ship on my ZR2 order and ordered a new TRX . it's all about fuel economy you know.
The worst diesel are GM abortions?
The 6.6 Isuzu engine is now going in the 23rd model year.
How many Diesel engines has Ford tried since 2001?

I love my 2014 Ram, cummins and a standard transmission. But I liked my 1994 Dodge with the 12 valve 5.9 cummins more. I had it 20 years only had 135K I sold it to my son for $5000.00.

Well, after more and more research I'm back to the 3.0 diesel. Seems like there's almost a problem with every engine ever made. The 3.0 sounds like a pretty dang good deal.

Look at the GM 5.7, 6.2, 6.4, just for starters . all colossal POS engines. go back farther and you have the Toroflow train wreck.

The Duralax has lots of fuel system failures, keep a set of injectors in the glove box. it's a known fact at any Deisel shop they're in last place of the current diesels.

The only chevy dealership in my area shop manager is a high school friend and he'll defend the duralax to the death even though it's hopeless. but he says stay away from the 3.0. whatever he doesn't have to convince me.

The little Dodge 1/2 diesel is even worse. the shop manager says run away screaming like your teeth are on fire. they're not a big dealership and they're replacing a half dozen a month.

If you want a 1/2 ton almost all the gas engines are proven to be great . I can't imagine why you'd roll the dice hoping a high dollar repair diesel can last half as long as a gas engine. spend a dime to save a nickel I guess.

Look at the GM 5.7, 6.2, 6.4, just for starters . all colossal POS engines. go back farther and you have the Toroflow train wreck.

The Duralax has lots of fuel system failures, keep a set of injectors in the glove box. it's a known fact at any Deisel shop they're in last place of the current diesels.

The only chevy dealership in my area shop manager is a high school friend and he'll defend the duralax to the death even though it's hopeless. but he says stay away from the 3.0. whatever he doesn't have to convince me.

The little Dodge 1/2 diesel is even worse. the shop manager says run away screaming like your teeth are on fire. they're not a big dealership and they're replacing a half dozen a month.

If you want a 1/2 ton almost all the gas engines are proven to be great . I can't imagine why you'd roll the dice hoping a high dollar repair diesel can last half as long as a gas engine. spend a dime to save a nickel I guess.
lol....are you right about anything?....ever?....

My F 350 Dually was in the shop for 5 weeks. Not what your thinking. Body work. So I was forced to do a little hauling of trailers with these new super half tons that can do everything. I was not impressed. Griz don't you live down south ? Did you see that Toyota Sequoia that rolled on Friday towing a 25 foot travel trailer on I 15. It still had paper plates on it. Sure the Toyota had a V8. But to small to tow well. You can have all the power in the world but thats not the problem. Even those half ton F 150 are rated for 11,300 pounds. But I don't think I would trust it trying to stop that load ! Just my two cents on towing. I once thought about buying a Taco for every day driving when I didn't need my Diesel truck. It didn't work out on paper.
I live up in Northern Utah.

Even though it says I can pull a heck of a lot more then the 4000 pounds I will be pulling,it does not mean this old farm boy will be doing it anytime soon with my new F 150.

A lot better than my Silverado that gets 8.5 mpg towing my trailer and ATVs and is gutless as I thought a 6.0 gasser would have more power. I'm laughing so join in - I don't care. ?

Even though I argue with Tog about whether or not two decades of the duramax is a dependable engine, I will say he’s probably right about these mini diesel trucks. If you’re only towing light and the half ton fits the weight capability, I’d probably stick with the gasser too. Just probably not the eco bust.

I haven't look at the baby diesels, but the big diesels are about a $10k upgrade. You've got to do a bunch of towing to justify $10k, plus $1 gal more more fuel.

But the reality is, as the owner of a 5.9 Cummins(the greatest diesel motor ever made), it doesn't matter how great the motor is if the trans is a POS(48re is the worst trans ever in a truck).

I have a hard time believing that in the glorified mini vans new 1/2 ton trucks are, they are putting in robust trans to be actual haulers.

They (ford) danced with Caterpillar for a while. That would have been cool…..although my Cat backhoe has a Perkins.:rolleyes:

Oh There's Lots To Mention about a CACKLING 6.0!

I Can't Think Of Anything Good on that List Though!

Somebody Will CHIME In & Say:

By GAWD I've Got a Good 6.0!

I Spent 30K & Bullet Proofed It!:D

All this talk about chit box diesel pickups, and not one mention of the 6.0 ford power stroke.

Oh There's Lots To Mention about a CACKLING 6.0!

I Can't Think Of Anything Good on that List Though!

Somebody Will CHIME In & Say:

By GAWD I've Got a Good 6.0!

I Spent 30K & Bullet Proofed It!:D

Bingo. 30 grand later and the 6.0 isn't bad

Ford failed with 6.0 and 6.4 Navistar engines.

Finally they wised up on the 6.7 scorpion or whatever in the hell they call it

Bingo. 30 grand later and the 6.0 isn't bad

Ford failed with 6.0 and 6.4 Navistar engines.

Finally they wised up on the 6.7 scorpion or whatever in the hell they call it
If only for the bosch fuel pump. And how about that DEF heating system. :(

I suppose I shouldn’t complain. I’m starting to like the check engine light.

If only for the bosch fuel pump. And how about that DEF heating system. :(

I suppose I shouldn’t complain. I’m starting to like the check engine light.

Well all new trucks will have issues. Talk to One guy and its the best thing ever had with no issues mean while the next blows the motor at 2000 miles.

I would love a new diesel just to have a bigger back seat. But def, low fuel mileage, now prices are super high, then money to modify the truck again I finally took an oath just to keep what I have

I once bought a 5.9 cummins.

21 years later it’s still the most reliable thing I own.

Never thrown a “check engine” light.

Never left me stranded.

Just keeps chugging along.

47re trans?….Yeah, it’s junk.

Never had an issue with trans, just isn’t geared right for the engines performance. One day I’ll upgrade to a six speed…

I certainly will never upgrade the truck. Don’t care for all the emissions/fuel choking junk they put on the new rigs. Plus, I know my truck well enough to work on it when maintenance is needed.

I once bought a 5.9 cummins.

21 years later it’s still the most reliable thing I own.

Never thrown a “check engine” light.

Never left me stranded.

Just keeps chugging along.

47re trans?….Yeah, it’s junk.

Never had an issue with trans, just isn’t geared right for the engines performance. One day I’ll upgrade to a six speed…

I certainly will never upgrade the truck. Don’t care for all the emissions/fuel choking junk they put on the new rigs. Plus, I know my truck well enough to work on it when maintenance is needed.
???? internet gold

I hear ya Hoss. I like cool new trucks as much as the next guy but I sure don’t have the 80+ grand laying around to do it. I’m sporting around an 03 duramax that I put a CM flat rack on. My wife says it looks like a pig hauler. Not the latest and greatest but the old girl only has 78k miles. I doubt I’ll ever replace that one.

I hear ya Hoss. I like cool new trucks as much as the next guy but I sure don’t have the 80+ grand laying around to do it. I’m sporting around an 03 duramax that I put a CM flat rack on. My wife says it looks like a pig hauler. Not the latest and greatest but the old girl only has 78k miles. I doubt I’ll ever replace that one.
Replace truck, or wife?

Ive had good and bad luck with the duramax motors. We’ve got 2 on the farm I work on and they do pretty good. We’ve got two Cummins on the farm that do pretty good too. The boss of the construction company I work on has had me driving his LLY duramax and it’s been having problems with overheating. Was pulling a flatbed gooseneck trailer and the motor and tranny got pretty hot coming up hills, the trailer was empty. Same thing when I was pulling a gooseneck horse trailer with some tools in it. Coming up the backside of Salina canyon I had to stop and let it cool. The heat outside had nothing to do with it either because it was 2 in the morning in a rainstorm with the horse trailer. Then over the weekend he took it up the mountain and it got pretty hot with no trailer at all. Monday he had us all working on it to see if we could get the problem worked out. Guess we’ll probably find out next week.
I’ve got a 96 ford half ton but the biggest thing I’ll hook it to is around a 3 horse trailer if I’m on the highway. Fuel economy goes way down, no need to risk frying it, and stopping power is a big thing. Leave the bigger loads to the bigger trucks. I’m hoping to find me a personal (not farm) decent older or deleted diesel for the bigger loads.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom