Chukars

ADM

Anyone willing to share some chukar info. Never been, would like to take the dog out and give it a try. I know they like rocky areas. Do they like sage brush? any info on do's and dont's or areas to try would gladly be excepted.

Chuckar are my favorite thing to hunt here in eastern OR.

The first rule to chuckar hunting is to be good at it you have to hunt them like you're mad at them. second is they always run uphill and fly downhill. seldom with they fly up and they won't run down much of a hill.

90% of the time when they're calling you're not going to get close to them.

They do like sage, even tall sage. and they like rocks when they're looking for protection after the flush but most of the time they're out feeding on top of the ridge or part way down it.

If it's dry look near water. if there is green up ( young grass ) they don't need water and that will be their main feed source. look higher on the hill.

If your dog will hold piont let him work long, I use a beeper or GPS to locate my GSP's so I cover far more ground. you need a good retreiver not only to find dead birds but to catch the runners. you won't find or catch a runner without a dog.

Pull the guts out of them ASAP if they're on green up or they'll taste like crap after soaking in that green slim all day in your vest.

There is no more sporting wingshooting in the world than chuckar. 6 shot is ideal, I shoot 3" mag 20 gauge shells in a lightweight auto. hope this helps and good luck.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I think TOGWOTEE covered a lot of it. Just looking for general info. The places here, around Salt Lake where I've been told to try have a lot of sage brush or Juniper type trees.All of the pics you see on the web look like the people are in fairly barren areas with lots of rocks. So wasn't sure if I would find any birds in these areas was all.

Maybe in your area things are different but here they don't like trees, not even a few trees. I think it's because they know hawks can sit in them and nab them before they can see them. hawks are a top killer of chuckar. I've found them in the junipers a few times bet they don't care for them.

As far as where to look you'll get a feel for it, but there are draws that hold birds all the time and there are draws you never find a bird that look about the same and have the same habitat. I still don't know why .

I agree with Flint, but if there's green up look on top first you can chase them on the hillsides after the first flush.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Have only ever hunted/killed chukars in sage brush areas. Hunting chukars is incredibly fun/difficult/frustrating. Nothing more frustrating than walking around in the sage for a good while, letting your guard down, and then having a covey flush right out from under you and you weren't ready. :)

That said, hillsides and such with sage brush are likely to hold chukars. They fly fast, very fast. It makes them that much more challenging to hunt. Also, if a covey does flush near you, get some shots in, but also hold tight. I have killed more chukars after the initial flush. Several will hold tight after the initial flush and try and run through the sage to get away. These are the ones you have a better chance at because you are now alert. Also, keep your head "on a swivel". If they aren't holding, you will see the covey flying away out in front of you. Wait for them to land and then be sneaky getting close to them.

Have a good time. I'd wager you will shoot more than you kill. But that may just be me. :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

ive been getting into the chuckars as of late. my English pointer loves them when we can find them. ive heard the first time you hunt them its for fun, every time after that, its for revenge. also finding them is one thing, hitting them is another.

"Shoot Straight"

I call them Bionic Rock Birds. I swear they run up hill faster then they fly down hill. LOL.I hear its a good year for them check the DWR web site for info. Good luck and have fun!

If you're a serious upland bird hunter I'd suggest you shoot as much sporting clays as you possibly can. I started out just to improve my chuckar shooting and ended up becoming a FITASC shooter.

it makes climbing those hills easier when you're confident to're going to be able to hit birds once you find them

Stay Thirsty My Friends

It's also a great way to stay in "sheep shape".
Few things are physically harder to hunt than chukars.
Zeke

Well we gave it shot on thursday. The dog did very well for it being his first bird hunt. Those little buggers are hard to hit. We only came across 2 little groups of them and I missed all four shots I took. But, we did come away with some sore feet and legs. Thank you all for the help and advice.

Shoot trap then Hunt.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom