Cold weather and camping

idabigbuck

Heading up this week camping/hunting at about 6000 feet. The temp will be single digits some of the mornings. I have a 23 foot trailer with 2 slide outs. What precautions do you take for winter camping? I have never camped this late, this high.

Keep the Trailer Warm!

Some of the Heat Must Transfer in to Cooler Places to Keep your Water & Drains lines from Freezing!

If Your Holding Tanks are not Heated extended time in Cold Conditions can become an issue!

Take a Generator,Extention Cords,Jumper Cables & an Electric Heater for Back-Up/Extra Warmth!:D

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

If that water freezes in the hot water tank, which it can at the single digit temps, it will crack the stainless steel tank and you will be replacing it. I know, it happen to me years ago. I forgot to drain the water from the hot water tank after draining the water holding tank for cold weather.

RELH

Mr. Heater indoor propane heater. Probably 18k BTU model or bigger. Use a 20 lb tank and keep it on and keep a spare tank.

Keep some 5-6 gallon portable water containers inside in case of frozen lines.

I agree with others, careful with water lines freezing. Maybe winterize it. Even with a heater going, lines could still freeze under beds along the trailer floor cause those areas won't heat as well.
I didn't winterize my trailer one year thinking I'd be able to run the heater. Had problems with the heater and ended up with many cracked water lines.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

HELL SAKES!!!

If You're not gonna use water just take a Tent!

The Lightweight Tent I Used on 3rd Season Colorado Hunt was one of the Coldest Trips I've ever endured!:D

Fill the Trailer with Water & Use it!

I'll PM You BIGJOHNS Phone Number!:D

I have my trailer completely winterized when I go on late hunts. Even running your heaters isn't enough . You will run out of propane fast. I have a on board generator that is a 5500 watt model. I can run two 1500 watt electric heaters. As long as they are on two different breakers. We are usually gone all day. I fire the generator and run the electric heaters. Getting everything warm until we go to bed. Then run the propane heaters at night when sleeping turned down lower. When we wake up in the morning fire the big generator and use the electric heaters again. Everything is off when we are all gone during the day hunting. We are usually gone before sun up and back after dark. For water we use a two gallon jug at the sink for washing and water bottles for cooking. If its really cold put antifreeze in your p traps before leaving each time. But we haven't had problems during the day with P traps inside.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-18 AT 03:32PM (MST)[p]Like others have said, winterize the camper and use water jugs. For winterizing I prefer using an air chuck attached to a hose bib instead of using antifreeze in the system.

I also installed a 600 watt series of solar panels. This keeps the battery charged all the time and allows me to run the central heat without worry.

I stuff a 100lb propane cylinder in the back to make sure propane use is not an issue.

Also, dont poop inside.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

Thanks for the helpful replies!

I was planning on taking the trailer all full of water thinking that keeping the temp above 50 would be plenty to keep the lines from freezing. You've talked me out of that foolishness! Thanks!

Looks like it's sponge baths and honey buckets for the next 7 days! I hope to have a story and photos soon! But not of the sponge baths and honey buckets!

Idabigbuck

>Thanks for the helpful replies!
>
>I was planning on taking the
>trailer all full of water
>thinking that keeping the temp
>above 50 would be plenty
>to keep the lines from
>freezing. You've talked me
>out of that foolishness! Thanks!
>
>
>Looks like it's sponge baths and
> honey buckets for the
>next 7 days! I hope
>to have a story and
>photos soon! But not of
>the sponge baths and honey
>buckets!
>
>Idabigbuck

Bessy is referring to the Henry?s last year. We had a camp cook that stayed in camp all day. So we kept one trailer full of water and heated all day. The trailer still froze but we did no damage. You can pack a 50 gallon barrel or two and fill them with water. Keep them in the back of one of the trucks. If you have a warm day. You can fill your trailer with water and take a warm shower. But you will have to drain it and the water heater after your done. Then with a air compressors blow all of the water lines out. Good luck

>Thanks for the helpful replies!
>
>I was planning on taking the
>trailer all full of water
>thinking that keeping the temp
>above 50 would be plenty
>to keep the lines from
>freezing. You've talked me
>out of that foolishness! Thanks!
>
>
>Looks like it's sponge baths and
> honey buckets for the
>next 7 days! I hope
>to have a story and
>photos soon! But not of
>the sponge baths and honey
>buckets!
>
>Idabigbuck

Buy an electric (battery or 12 volt) portable shower, 25-30 bucks. I take 1 gallon showers whenever I want, even in freezing weather. Just heat water, put into bucket. On/off until done.

>>Thanks for the helpful replies!
>>
>>I was planning on taking the
>>trailer all full of water
>>thinking that keeping the temp
>>above 50 would be plenty
>>to keep the lines from
>>freezing. You've talked me
>>out of that foolishness! Thanks!
>>
>>
>>Looks like it's sponge baths and
>> honey buckets for the
>>next 7 days! I hope
>>to have a story and
>>photos soon! But not of
>>the sponge baths and honey
>>buckets!
>>
>>Idabigbuck
>
>
>Bessy is referring to the Henry?s
>last year. We had a
>camp cook that stayed in
>camp all day. So we
>kept one trailer full of
>water and heated all day.
>The trailer still froze but
>we did no damage. You
>can pack a 50 gallon
>barrel or two and fill
>them with water. Keep them
>in the back of one
>of the trucks. If you
>have a warm day. You
>can fill your trailer with
>water and take a warm
>shower. But you will have
>to drain it and the
>water heater after your done.
>Then with a air compressors
>blow all of the water
>lines out. Good luck

Ya!

That one morning it went down to 11 Degrees!

I Was Perty Cozy in My PISSCUTTIN Rig with the Heater on though!:D

Poor way to get any Rest though!

Make sure your trailer is winterized and the crapper tank and water tanks are insulated. My son and I found that out the hard way on a 12 degree morning. Everything was frozen and we had to put a heater under the trailer to get it moving again.

>
>HELL SAKES!!!
>
>If You're not gonna use water
>just take a Tent!
>

Cat,
That's just silly!!!

I've spent countless days in a tent and a trailer and the worst trailer in the world is way better than the best tent in the world at this time of year.

Winter tips: Water jugs on the counter and potty outside. Don't use the trailer's water or sewer system or you'll be sorry.

Zeke

#LiveLikeZac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom