Colorado archery elk?

I think I would hunt the last week, but this is a tough one to answer. It might depend how many muzzleloader tags they give in the unit and how much pressure they put on the herds wherever you are hunting.

Depends on year and season, unit etc. I almost always kill my bull before the 18th for some reason. I have 9 bulls before the 18th and only 2 after. I like hunting earlier, especially when I am hunting solo. Much more spot and stalk, types of situations with little to no calling. I know many prefer the later part, but I like finding a bull before he is herded up.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-13 AT 08:13PM (MST)[p]Well we voted 2 to 1 for the first week of the season.Wish me luck and if anyone has tips for the first week let me know.We will be hunting DIY on public land near Meeker Colorado.....Jim

Come out prior to the hunt and spend 3 days or so hiking the area that you scouted via the internet. Find all the wallows you can while scouting. I would concentrate my time that first week on wallows. Look for some that are near or in bedding areas in dark thick northerly facing slopes. They will most likely be the ones to be hit during the middle of the day and first in the evening.
I wouldn't worry about bugling, try cow calling but don't over do it.

If it is "high" country where you are at, you may find them above treeline too...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Thanks Mntman,we are planing on a three day scout.The elevation we are looking at is about 7900-8300 ft at the highest points.I hope that will be high enough that early?

It depends, there may not even be any high country available to the elk... Where I hunt elk they hang out around 9k all year long. Yes there is a couple of places they can get about + or - 1k in elevation but not a lot.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom