Colorado Bison

tailchasers

Long Time Member
Should bison become a game species in Colorado? If so what would be the pro/con? Recent CPW conversations are either you accept bison as a game animal or it will go to the ballot just like the wolves and be forced. Thoughts?

Wasn’t aware that Co had huntable populations of free range bison? If we did, myself as a non rancher suburban dweller would be all for it… but I suspect those that it would affect more would have a better opinion on it. Personally I think it’s it some silly chit that we are trying to make Co “Like it was at the turn of the 18th century” when it couldn’t be more damn different these days… plus why put bison in? With unchecked wolves there would be not much of a chance for them to ever do well in the state. Hell why no intro of grizz into the front range yet?

The bison would be a logical introduction to the plains:
1) there are no wolves
2). It will generate a ton of money for points people won’t live long enough to use
3). There is the starter flock of “pure” bison at the RMA. My guess is they have extra captive wild bison there. They were mowing the grass down to the nub when I was goofing around there 15 years ago.

Damn I’m cynical. (n)

Well you figure they start selling points now for a hunt that may take place in 10-15 years or issue 1 tag a year or something… lots of private on the plains often where the water is at… so not sure how they would keep them away/ off private. Hell just sell Tags for RMA haha,

Well you figure they start selling points now for a hunt that may take place in 10-15 years or issue 1 tag a year or something… lots of private on the plains often where the water is at… so not sure how they would keep them away/ off private. Hell just sell Tags for RMA haha,
Screw the buffs…..I want to go bass fishing at RMA. ;)

Haha all those sweet extras grow them big out there, you can blue, for like a 3 dollar pass a day. Just catch and release though not recommended to eat, I hear they have a mustard flavor though

You are correct ktg. CPW wants these animals to become managed as a big game species as opposed to the bisons present designation as livestock. They are suggesting the establishment of a herd. I have several concerns with the state pushing this and their "either this way or else" mind set. Bison are cool but what impacts would this have upon the region or greater as they move across the state?

Haha all those sweet extras grow them big out there, you can blue, for like a 3 dollar pass a day. Just catch and release though not recommended to eat, I hear they have a mustard flavor though
Yeah….when we were doing some of the cleanup there we had to have guys spot bomblets so we didn’t bust them open with equipment. That was before it was cleaned up and open to the public. Lots of spooky stuff there, but still not as spooky as Rocky Flats. :oops:

You are correct ktg. CPW wants these animals to become managed as a big game species as opposed to the bisons present designation as livestock. They are suggesting the establishment of a herd. I have several concerns with the state pushing this and their "either this way or else" mind set. Bison are cool but what impacts would this have upon the region or greater as they move across the state?
Explain how they would "move across the state"?
Not like they breed like rabbits.

Met with CPW this morning along with the several local stakeholders. Changing bison designation to "game animal" will be on the January CPW Commission agenda for discussion. That's their first step. Folks expressed their distrust with the State, impacts to range, taking food from local tables by decreasing incomes, AUMs, private property damages, socio-economics impacts, disease. A public meeting will be held in Rangely the 1st part of January ahead of the commission meeting.

It blows my mind when I see hunters not in favor of big game reintroductions where a native, non-predator species had been extirpated. Bison are cool and should be restored to the wild more aggressively than they have been. Plenty of certified brucellosis free bison available to source transplants from (hell, UT's Antelope Island just sold off 290 such bison and they'll do it again next year in similar numbers).

I say let em in! That sounds like an amazing idea on CPWs part! Love what they are doing with the state! We have the means to sustain our elk and deer herds already, so why not introduce another species and use resources on those too! Bravo CPW!

So if I see a Bison on the Colorado border I can kill it with no repercussions?
I find that hard to believe?
Yea as long as it is on the Colorado side. But good luck… They are not recognized game species and as such they are considered livestock. Classified the same as a wild hog.

But that means Colorado is not making bank.

So now they want to make bank off the bison since they are going to fall apart in about 10 years!!!

It blows my mind when I see hunters not in favor of big game reintroductions where a native, non-predator species had been extirpated. Bison are cool and should be restored to the wild more aggressively than they have been. Plenty of certified brucellosis free bison available to source transplants from (hell, UT's Antelope Island just sold off 290 such bison and they'll do it again next year in similar numbers).
Welcome to MM’s! What’s even funnier is they will support public land grazing too!

Found the petitioner. Seems Steve Rinella is part of this as well. Ya know not 1 person in this local stakeholders group is against bison nor designating them as big game. They are cautious of the impeding rules and regulations that follow and the impacts to customs and cultures that have been promoted for over a century. Now this...

Community meeting.

Screenshot_20231220-163733.png

Bingo, the proverbial elephant in the room.
The same brucellosis that was introduced to NA by cattle, and that there are multiple source herds of bison that are certified as free from brucellosis? That brucellosis?

Yeah, that's an elephant not worth worrying about.

The same brucellosis that was introduced to NA by cattle, and that there are multiple source herds of bison that are certified as free from brucellosis? That brucellosis?

Yeah, that's an elephant not worth worrying about.
True, it was brought here by cattle……. what’s your point?

You mix brucellosis free, free ranging bison with brucellosis infected cattle and you abort the calf’s from both your cows and your bison. Then let those bison move on to another herd……. of cattle or bison and do it again.

Makes perfect sense to me………. but SS! say’s you’re being rational, so……….. I’m good, go with that. Onward and upward.

True, it was brought here by cattle……. what’s your point?

You mix brucellosis free, free ranging bison with brucellosis infected cattle and you abort the calf’s from both your cows and your bison. Then let those bison move on to another herd……. of cattle or bison and do it again.

Makes perfect sense to me………. but SS! say’s you’re being rational, so……….. I’m good, go with that. Onward and upward.
And just where are these brucellosis infected cattle you are pivoting to? APHIS would like to know as all 50 states are considered brucellosis class free in domestic cattle (and domestic bison).

And just where are these brucellosis infected cattle you are pivoting to? APHIS would like to know as all 50 states are considered brucellosis class free in domestic cattle (and domestic bison).
Oh, so sorry.

I had just read your statement…… regarding cattle bring it here. Then I thought you inferred there uncertified brucellosis free bison by saying there were herds of certified bison. Combining the two statements……. dang….. never mind.

Oh, it’s just all so confusing….. for me……me,🤪.

As I said, onward and upward,

Man should just let the cabin fever bois run the state . They have it all figured out from AK… why do we even pay cpw? Wait now I’m gonna get another lecture how Ak is soooo similar to Co with the state that has 700ish thousand population and lord knows how many times the land mass. Not sure if they realize Denver has about the population of their entire state… our metro area alone has 3 times the population of AK and growing… we are full. No more room for people, bison, wolves, or development… but I guess they will push it through anyhow.

Man should just let the cabin fever bois run the state . They have it all figured out from AK… why do we even pay cpw? Wait now I’m gonna get another lecture how Ak is soooo similar to Co with the state that has 700ish thousand population and lord knows how many times the land mass. Not sure if they realize Denver has about the population of their entire state… our metro area alone has 3 times the population of AK and growing… we are full. No more room for people, bison, wolves, or development… but I guess they will push it through anyhow.
Why are you so upset? If this forum upsets you why do you post?

Thanks for sharing your opinion that CO doesn't have room. You're wrong, but thats ok. You don't have to get upset about it.

Johnnycake Maybe read this off of the USD/APHIS page.

What about wildlife, free-ranging bison and elk herds?

Brucellosis-affected wildlife can transmit the disease to domestic livestock. To demonstrate the disease-free status of the United States, we must lessen risks of brucellosis transmission from wildlife to livestock.
The presence of brucellosis in free-ranging bison and elk in the Greater Yellowstone Area (GYA), Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park and the area around those parks, threatens the brucellosis status of the surrounding States and the health of their cattle and domestic bison herds, which are free of the disease. Reintroduction of the disease into a brucellosis-free State could have a serious economic impact on domestic livestock markets and potentially affect export markets. The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) is working cooperatively with State and other Federal agencies toward containing the spread of brucellosis from free-ranging bison and elk to domestic bison and cattle and eliminating the disease from the GYA while maintaining viable free-ranging bison and elk herds in the GYA and in the Parks

Why are you so upset? If this forum upsets you why do you post?

Thanks for sharing your opinion that CO doesn't have room. You're wrong, but thats ok. You don't have to get upset about it.
I‘m not mad 😡 you’re mad 😡 haha just having a little fun, don’t get your taters twisted. All this time I thought you AK boys had thicker hide…

CPW held a meeting this past week and the resounding response was "heII no". CPW received a citizen petion which ended up being a non resident then to top a environmental organization starting this mess. The wildlife commission denied the petition but asked staff to investigate the probability. The wildlife commission will hear from staff about the community sentiment next week

Multiple concerns where brought forward including but not limited too: grazing allotments; range health and carrying capacity; present game herd health and objectives; industrial impacts; socio economic impacts; water availability and condition of sources; private land impacts; wild horse HMAs; soil erosion; diseases; continued attacks by outsiders onto local ways of life; wolves, sage grouse, ferret, yellow billed coco, endangered fishes, and more.... Never ending while taking food from peoples dinner tables without adequate and reasonable considerations.

FWIW, there are nearly 8-10 diseases of concern stemming from bison that do impact multiple species, domestic and wild. The herd they are referring to designing as big game are not pure blood but rather a hybridized with beef. So they are livestock as defined by the Colorado Department of Agriculture. If not livestock then invasion species.

This part of the world is not the Bookcliff roadless not the Henry's, hardly BC, nor Alaska, or Yellowstone. This part of the world is developed with 1000's of miles of roads, fences, industrial activities, no wilderness, and a developed OHV trail system and industry.

Johnnycake Maybe read this off of the USD/APHIS page.

What about wildlife, free-ranging bison and elk herds?

Brucellosis-affected wildlife can transmit the disease to domestic livestock. To demonstrate the disease-free status of the United States, we must lessen risks of brucellosis transmission from wildlife to livestock.
The presence of brucellosis in free-ranging bison and elk in the Greater Yellowstone Area (GYA), Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park and the area around those parks, threatens the brucellosis status of the surrounding States and the health of their cattle and domestic bison herds, which are free of the disease. Reintroduction of the disease into a brucellosis-free State could have a serious economic impact on domestic livestock markets and potentially affect export markets. The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) is working cooperatively with State and other Federal agencies toward containing the spread of brucellosis from free-ranging bison and elk to domestic bison and cattle and eliminating the disease from the GYA while maintaining viable free-ranging bison and elk herds in the GYA and in the Parks
I did. And you are welcome to go back in all my posts in this and see that I have consistently stated that there are source herds of bison that are certified brucellosis free. Guarantee that nobody is reintroducing any bison anywhere in the last couple of decades before rigorous testing is done to ensure the animals are clean. So yes, the 'diseases from the bison' argument is pure bullshit.

so cows can roam but buffalo can’t? 😂
Cattle and sheep do not have free roam but rather are managed via animal unit months with seasons, range health assessments, and in fenced areas. The aum is based upon the carrying capacity of the range and is not determined by the ranchers. 2022 is a great example where BLM closed several areas based upon range conditions forcing ranchers to develop an alternate place which I know several who sold off their entire herds. Now I know you won't give 2 chitz and will come back with your predictable response but for an agricultural community this is devastating hurting hospitals, schools, other services, youth programs (example: 4H and FFA), and down town business in rural America.

I did. And you are welcome to go back in all my posts in this and see that I have consistently stated that there are source herds of bison that are certified brucellosis free. Guarantee that nobody is reintroducing any bison anywhere in the last couple of decades before rigorous testing is done to ensure the animals are clean. So yes, the 'diseases from the bison' argument is pure bullshit.
I guess shooting the bison that come out of the park into Montana is only because Montana do not like bison.

False
Only samples are collect from some herds not all. Mostly at harvest when hunting is involved. Some free roaming herds/animals are never tested. They go unchecked.As explained by the state it is far to expensive to sample every herd. Tribal, state, or federally managed herds.

If It Was DRATville!

The DWR Would Start A Hunt Issuing 1 Permit The First Year Going To The Highest Bidder!

Then 5 Tags The Following Year!

20 Tags The Next Year!

You Want Me To Keep Going?

Cattle and sheep do not have free roam but rather are managed via animal unit months with seasons, range health assessments, and in fenced areas. The aum is based upon the carrying capacity of the range and is not determined by the ranchers. 2022 is a great example where BLM closed several areas based upon range conditions forcing ranchers to develop an alternate place which I know several who sold off their entire herds. Now I know you won't give 2 chitz and will come back with your predictable response but for an agricultural community this is devastating hurting hospitals, schools, other services, youth programs (example: 4H and FFA), and down town business in rural America.
how many cows do you run on public land? Or have?

Zero. This should offer you some satisfaction. 😉
Well I guess my 20 years having cows on public land leases should count for something? Likely I know more about it than you. Oh and my father had cows 50ish years on public land. And worked for some of the largest sheep ranchers in CO and WY till the day he died.

Could you please explain how cows from our leases ended up in other states? How do you educate a cow or sheep to stay on its lease? We had one cow that made it to northern CO. Rancher calls us up after looking up our brand. We drive down there and get it. Next year cow made it back there with his herd. Ended up trading and letting him keep the damn thing. That cow crossed 3 different highways and over 150 miles as the crow flies.

And if cows and sheep stayed on their allotments not sure what my dad’s job was for the last 25 years. Sure helped him a lot tons of calls of sheep and cattle where they were not suppose to be. I got to cross all over @mulecreek mine chasing cows sheep and even a buffalo. Not sure if I know anything about 4 H, as having done it and my dad being a huge part of it.

You can replace every cow with a buffalo and the world would be a better place 😂😁

Well I guess my 20 years having cows on public land leases should count for something?
Guess your right. If I don't have any cattle then IDK anything and not educated about the issue.
Could you please explain how cows from our leases ended up in other states?
Not keeping track of your herd, poor ranch and allotment maintenance and management.
How do you educate a cow or sheep to stay on its lease?
Cowboying & shepherding, good feed, solid fencing, water, and good gates.

Sounds like a neighborly way to work out a stubborn cow with that northern Colorado rancher. Good on you all

Have a nice evening. Cheers 🍻!!

Guess your right. If I don't have any cattle then IDK anything and not educated about the issue.

Not keeping track of your herd, poor ranch and allotment maintenance and management.

Cowboying & shepherding, good feed, solid fencing, water, and good gates.

Sounds like a neighborly way to work out a stubborn cow with that northern Colorado rancher. Good on you all

Have a nice evening. Cheers 🍻!!
🦬 🦬 🦬

False
Only samples are collect from some herds not all. Mostly at harvest when hunting is involved. Some free roaming herds/animals are never tested. They go unchecked.As explained by the state it is far to expensive to sample every herd. Tribal, state, or federally managed herds.
Keep at it buddy, not everybody is great at reading comprehension out the gate. But if you really work hard at it, I'm sure you can improve.

Hey…he didn’t drive it away. It was just a bad cow.

So he sent it to Colorada, jus like they did those bad woofs from Oregon.

Hey…he didn’t drive it away. It was just a bad cow.

So he sent it to Colorada, jus like they did those bad woofs from Oregon.
I think that cow just wanted to see the world. Can’t blame her. She didn’t let people on an Internet forum tell her CO was overcrowded, too many ORV? OHV? Trails. Highways etc.

I think that cow just wanted to see the world. Can’t blame her. She didn’t let people on an Internet forum tell her CO was overcrowded, too many ORV? OHV? Trails. Highways etc.
I’m trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but your pet welfare cow story is pretty wild.

I don’t know what happened, but that cow fled half way around the world THREE TIMES, dodging freeways, airports, indians, mexicans, cars, woofs, lions, and gap toothed rednecks uphill BOTH WAYS through the snow.

I’m wondering if you didn’t pop a little vitamin A and trip over to your kids bookshelf…….you sure that cow didn’t jump over the moon?

I’m trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but your pet welfare cow story is pretty wild.

I don’t know what happened, but that cow fled half way around the world THREE TIMES, dodging freeways, airports, indians, mexicans, cars, woofs, lions, and gap toothed rednecks uphill BOTH WAYS through the snow.

I’m wondering if you didn’t pop a little vitamin A and trip over to your kids bookshelf…….you sure that cow didn’t jump over the moon?
😂😂😂😂😂 in the ranching world it would be a made for tv movie. Another time we came across another ranchers cows stuck in a pond. Early spring so they broke through the ice. “We” as in me had to go out there under the direction of my father (vision holding the flashlight for your dad when you’re 5) and put those big yellow straps around them and then we winched them out. Of course after breaking out the ice for a couple hours. Two days later we are in the same area and there are those 3 cows **** up dead in the same pond.

Why you think I live in alaska? Very few cows or horses. Give me the big bad wolf and the scary grizzly bear any day over a focking cow.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom