Colorado Moose Draw...How lucky are you?

elkmanchad

So I've been putting in for a moose tag for 6 years now. I have the minimum 3 preference points and 3 weighted points. I will no doubt submit my application again this year, even though I'm not sure what I would do if I actually drew. Obviously, I would be pumped up, but when you're not expecting to draw, you don't really plan for the hunt. So how long has everyone been putting in for their moose tag? What is the least amount of years someone has been putting in for and been lucky enough to draw? How about the longest? What do you think the average length is?

Well there are a bunch of us who have been putting in for over 20 years. I can never remember the year the first moose tags were issued. 1988? Last year there were 1187 residents with 3 and 8. Some had to have drawn but I am sure there are 1100+ that are now 3 and 9 for the 2010 draw.
You should check out how the weighted system really works?. Go to the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society page. At the bottom of the forums page In general Hunting ? of the way down you will find a post
Draw Process/weighted points. This explains this VERY complicated draw system.
I for one, am hopeful that in the next few years the fact that our random number that is then reversed that is then replaced, by individually drawn numbers?? is then divided by our weighted point number, 9 for 2010, makes it mathematically difficult for the late comers to draw.
Put in because every year folks with 3 and 1? 3and 2, 3 and 3, do draw, when those of us with ?MAX? do not. Hopefully the ?division? part of the equation will start to pay off for us old guys this year.

Sheesh. I may never draw, and Im young and in the same general boat as you. I put in, but wont expect to draw for many, many years. If I do, great, ask the boss for more time off.

Believe it or not, I drew a tag for unit 28, with the three preference points (only) in 2008. I had zero weighted points. I took a pretty nice bull with my bow on the opening day of the hunt... the memories will last a lifetime!

If you need somebody to call for you, when you draw, then drop me a line / private message!

Thanks,

Weatherby

Tomichi,

I'll have to check out that website. It sounds very interesting. I don't htink I'm lucky enough to draw and have no expectations, but you never know. Hopefully you draw soon. I think it's only fair that those with the most points draw most of the tags.

Weatherby,

You're one lucky guy. If I ever draw my tag, I may hit you up on your offer and have you do some calling for me. My parents have a place just south of Rand (unit 17), and moose are EVERYWHERE! We generally see more moose when elk hunting than we do elk. Maybe we're just bad elk hunters. :) We saw a HUGE bull last year; I would loved to have had a tag for him. Why don't you post up some picks of your moose?

Chad

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-10 AT 09:15PM (MST)[p]ElkManChad,

Do you subscribe to Eastman's Bowhunting Journal?

The pictures are posted in one of the issues/magazines from 2009.

Cheers,

Weatherby

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-10
>AT 09:15?PM (MST)

>
>ElkManChad,
>
>Do you subscribe to Eastman's Bowhunting
>Journal?
>
>The pictures are posted in one
>of the issues/magazines from 2009.
>
>
>Cheers,
>
>Weatherby

Unfortunatley, I do not subscribe to that magazine. I tried finding it on there website, but had no luck.

DAY ONE 1988 OR 1987 NEVER HAVE DRAWN A TAG BUT I DO KNOW GUYS THAT HAVE DRAWN 2 AND 3 TAGS THERES A HUNTER WHO HAS KILLED 4 MOOSE IN COLO 1 BULL 3 COWS

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom