Comfortable light hiking shoes

kidoelk777

What brand of boot is a really light waterproof hiking boot for the early elk archery hunts? Something that is very comfortable but durable. Any suggestions?

Thank you! I really appreciate the responses. If anyone can think of some other comfortable, light and water proof hiking boots please post them.

A comfortable light hiking shoe with the durability to withstand hunting applications is a tough beast to find. I've gone through many a pair until I found one that I'm very happy with. Without a doubt, the most comfortable kicks I tried were the merrel moab and the vasque breeze, both fit like a tennis shoe. The problem though is they simply don't last. I blew out the outside of the toe on the moab on the 2nd day of my elk hunt.

Frankly, for the money, I dont't think you can beat the Scarpa Kailash GTX. It's light and bombproof while also extremely comfortable. Fits more like a shoe than a boot. It's made with quality components, vibram sole, and a last that's light but rigid enough to provide support for carrying a pack in the mtns whereas the moab and breeze lack the support for anything more than mild terrain and inclines. Hope this helps.

Another vote for the uninsulated Danner Pronghorn.

They are not "bombproof", but are light and comfortable and there is no need to break them in...perfect for early season elk hunting.

I have soft feet, and these are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever had.

I was turned on to them by the corporate manager of boot sales for Cabela's while shopping at their original Nebraska store in 2004. He suggested them based on the same criteria you gave, and in my opinion he was right on.

I'm on my 2nd pair, and will be due for my 3rd pair this or next season. I'm pretty hard on them and have worn them on elk hunts, deer, oryx, and even barbary hunts in Fabruary.

The other thing that I've learned really helps with my tender feet is to wear high quality hiking socks along with a sock liner. That equates to a lot of socks on a long elk hunt, but it really makes a difference comfort wise past the first couple of days of serious hoofing around in elk country.

Another vote for the Danner pronghorn. I like the classic model better than new model. The new model need breakin and don't fit me as well as the classic.

I used Danners for year but got heal spurs from using them. As soon as I stopped using them my heal spurs were gone. I had another friend that had the same thing happen to him.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom