Corner crossing case

How is the Webcam going to prove you trespassed? Just tell the judge that Bush on the other side of him in the video is my property?

Many of those desert areas in the Checkerboard lands in Carbon County have good WiFi coverage. Phillip Anschutz owns about 500,000 acres of that checkerboard land. I think he has enough money to monitor it adequately…….My God……….
WiFi coverage huh? WiFi transmitters a good for dozens of feet. But you keep making things up. Maybe you mean cellular service? You don't seem to have a very good grasp on anything electronic.

Many of those desert areas in the Checkerboard lands in Carbon County have good WiFi coverage. Phillip Anschutz owns about 500,000 acres of that checkerboard land. I think he has enough money to monitor it adequately…….My God……….

You make me wanna go jump a bunch of corners as we speak!

Listening to you is like listening to nancy!

What have you been smoking?

Do you own a bunch of land that gets corner hopped and you can't catch them?
I think many of these Billionaire landowners won’t be smoking much, but there likely will be a big rush on trail cams and video surveillance equipment. I’m sure they can afford it, especially when they have a full time ranch manager and numerous ranch hands out patrolling. Are you confident with your handheld GPS or smartphone?

You make me wanna go jump a bunch of corners as we speak!

Listening to you is like listening to nancy!
Reading your entitlement attitude is surely like reading Karen……
Hi Karen…….
EE3DA63C-D9A1-4CA4-BB1D-B0FEDC7D2982.jpeg

Last edited:
Perhaps video surveillance showing you trespassed might change your mind……..
Yeah run underground electricity to each of the 6.4 million corners in the west that need to be monitored under these conditions, because I'll see a solar panel and then I'll know exactly where to look for that corner marker.

Yeah run underground electricity to each of the 6.4 million corners in the west that need to be monitored under these conditions, because I'll see a solar panel and then I'll know exactly where to look for that corner marker.
All it takes is the one you just trespassed across by 15 feet.

I think trail cams are against the law during hunting season in wy? so how are these billionaires going to explain trail cam pics and video in September and October?

Dam...birds are flying over here boys!! Lol
I hate to be a downer, but with a motion to dismiss the land/ ranch owners win again! Same goes with 90/10.

If the hunter harassment charges stick this land owner might not be doing anything this fall except wishing he’d kept his mouth shut about the three hunters last year as now he may have 300 this year.

Why are you acting like one then?
I think you miss my point entirely. I am very happy if this case gets dismissed and will certainly be out there corner hopping like everyone else as many of us have in the past. I never did it during hunting season though, only while out hiking or Rock hounding during the summer. If the corner has a set corner marker then by all means go for it but I also respect private property rights and won’t do it with a non surveyed corner as I know the equipment for 99% of all hunters is not accurate enough to 100% stay on public lands. Even while out searching for them in the off season sometimes takes hours of aimlessly wandering around in a grid type pattern all the while likely trespassing and trying to find a survey marker which was set in the 1960s and has been fully overgrown by sagebrush and other growth. Go attempt it and you’ll see how difficult it can be. If you do try it I highly recommend you do it in the off season preseason scouting.

Or better yet, maybe the landowner hired Elon Musk to put satellites in synchronous earth orbit, with lasers marking the PLSS corners. ;)
Some of these landowners could certainly afford that though likely a video surveillance cam connected to a network would be more practical.

Some of these landowners could certainly afford that though likely a video surveillance cam connected to a network would be more practical.
Yes it's a highly likely scenario a landowner is going to get a corner surveyed but not mark it and set up a camera to watch a spot he won't be able to remeber because it's not marked. Yes I'm sure this will be a new trend in Wyoming

I’m in full agreement if you find the corner survey pin you are going to be fine if these charges are dismissed and if the Legislature doesn’t trump the whole procedure and pass a law stating it’s Illegal. Many of these rich landowners will pay to have their land surveyed and set up trail cam and surveillance videos with recording and some even with WiFi activation where possible. The Elk Mt. Ranch has a ranch manager and at least 4 ranch hands patrolling. If you are not 100% certain you know where you are at, you are hunting illegally.
Wrong. Sorry, but wrong. Only tresspassing if you are acutually tresspassing. If you are not on private, even if your GPS says you are, guess what? You are not tresspassing. Not even hunting illegally, just hunting. BTW, they use GPS in grading and farming opeations to get withing less than 1/10th of an inch in elevation, and about the same in latereal measurements. You are using some old data my buddy HHF.

Yes it's a highly likely scenario a landowner is going to get a corner surveyed but not mark it and set up a camera to watch a spot he won't be able to remeber because it's not marked. Yes I'm sure this will be a new trend in Wyoming
What is certainly a highly likely scenario are some hunters are going to wander around trespassing by 100 feet or more looking for a corner and then leave boot prints in the snow or sand where they trespassed and the landowner will have trail cams and video surveillance of their trespass. Yes I’m sure this may be a new trend in Wyoming if they attempt to cross where a survey marked doesn’t exist but the landowner knows where the corner really is.

The same guys that complain that $1.15/ AU / AC is too much or whatever the amount is, are going to be the same guys that pay for professional surveyors, multiple trail cams. ****, they wont even want to pay for the batteries. They are too used to having Sherrif and F and G do all their work for free, or at least a free deer or elk hunt per year (shhhhhhh).

Perhaps he is but doesn’t mark it but he records your boot prints being 15 feet off the corner and has webcam footage of it.
Those aren't my boot prints, someone elses. Guy on camera? Probably some other guy wearing camo. Does your webcam have geospatial records? When was the last time it was calibrated? what type of batteries do you use? same kind, everytime? You have the records to submit to the court. My lawyer will ask all these questions, and more. NOT GUILTY. Landowner spending time in court instead of running cows. Who wins?

Wrong. Sorry, but wrong. Only tresspassing if you are acutually tresspassing. If you are not on private, even if your GPS says you are, guess what? You are not tresspassing. Not even hunting illegally, just hunting. BTW, they use GPS in grading and farming opeations to get withing less than 1/10th of an inch in elevation, and about the same in latereal measurements. You are using some old data my buddy HHF.
Go carry around those huge GPS units around. Obviously your Ignorance of what constitutes trespassing is apparent in Wyoming. For now we’ll have to just wait and see how this Elk Mountain case turns out. In Wyoming you must know where you are at 100% of the time not just 95% and being 100 feet or more off is just blatant trespassing.

Title 23 (Game and Fish) Trespass**
(b) No person shall enter upon the private property of any person to hunt, fish, collect antlers or horns, or trap without the permission of the owner or person in charge of the property.

Wy Statute 6-3-303
Universal Citation: WY Stat § 6-3-303
(a) A person is guilty of criminal trespass if he enters or remains on or in the land or premises of another person, knowing he is not authorized to do so. https://law.justia.com/codes/wyoming/2011/title6/chapter3/section6-3-303/

You're not missing anything just low foolish flyer blowing hot air again
I agree he blows a lot of hot air and I am 100% for corner crossing, but he is correct here that you will be tresspassing 99.9% of the time with a handheld. Maybe that drops to 75% if you are an olympic long distance triple jumper. The bigger issue I see in all of this is that landowners won't let you retrieve your game after shooting it on public and it running onto private.

Go carry around those huge GPS units around. Obviously your Ignorance of what constitutes trespassing is apparent in Wyoming. For now we’ll have to just wait and see how this Elk Mountain case turns out. In Wyoming you must know where you are at 100% of the time not just 95% and being 100 feet or more off is just blatant trespassing.

Title 23 (Game and Fish) Trespass**
(b) No person shall enter upon the private property of any person to hunt, fish, collect antlers or horns, or trap without the permission of the owner or person in charge of the property.

Wy Statute 6-3-303
Universal Citation: WY Stat § 6-3-303
(a) A person is guilty of criminal trespass if he enters or remains on or in the land or premises of another person, knowing he is not authorized to do so. https://law.justia.com/codes/wyoming/2011/title6/chapter3/section6-3-303/
You need to quit referencing Game & Fish violations in regards to corner crossing.

According to the Wyoming Attorney General's office, corner crossing is not a G&F violation.

If you know it's 15 feet then I know where the corner is
I think it is pretty simple for a landowner to do this, especially if they have money. Maybe I shouldn't write this, but you have been giving people a hard time on this 10-30 foot accuracy which just isn't good enough, you really need a pin to be anywhere close to legal. What if the landowner did the following:

1. Survey in two points on his property, 50 yards from the corner in question on both sides, bury a monument on both points. When a line is drawn between these two points it crosses the corner at the midpoint of that 100 yard line.
2. You take photos of a person crossing at the midpoint of the line.
3. You set-up your video/camera surveillance system a long that line and take identical photos/videos of people crossing and when they are 10-30 feet away from the actual corner they can get a ticket because the landowner has the evidence.

This can also be combatted by the public, just get it surveyed in and place your "own monuments" 5 or 10 feet on either side on both pieces of public and cross in that line. Can you place a "monument" on public land? Probably not, but I would be okay if someone hammered one in 5 feet or heck even 1 foot away from the corner on both sides...

Almost all of these parcels are already pinned at the corner no need for any extra work. The landowners can’t move the existing pins either.

I think it is pretty simple for a landowner to do this, especially if they have money. Maybe I shouldn't write this, but you have been giving people a hard time on this 10-30 foot accuracy which just isn't good enough, you really need a pin to be anywhere close to legal. What if the landowner did the following:

1. Survey in two points on his property, 50 yards from the corner in question on both sides, bury a monument on both points. When a line is drawn between these two points it crosses the corner at the midpoint of that 100 yard line.
2. You take photos of a person crossing at the midpoint of the line.
3. You set-up your video/camera surveillance system a long that line and take identical photos/videos of people crossing and when they are 10-30 feet away from the actual corner they can get a ticket because the landowner has the evidence.

This can also be combatted by the public, just get it surveyed in and place your "own monuments" 5 or 10 feet on either side on both pieces of public and cross in that line. Can you place a "monument" on public land? Probably not, but I would be okay if someone hammered one in 5 feet or heck even 1 foot away from the corner on both sides...
If you(or the landowner) gets it surveyed by a licensed surveyor the monuments WILL NOT be hidden. If the landowner hides them later, THIS IS A CRIME. A licensed surveyor WILL NOT put his license on the line to do this. If the corner is surveyed everyone will be able to find the monument with GPS. If it is not surveyed no one has the ability to eyeball whether or not you were trespassing. The landowner walking into the courtroom and saying "I had that corner surveyed and marked then I moved it", is probably not a smart thing to do.

I agree he blows a lot of hot air and I am 100% for corner crossing, but he is correct here that you will be tresspassing 99.9% of the time with a handheld. Maybe that drops to 75% if you are an olympic long distance triple jumper. The bigger issue I see in all of this is that landowners won't let you retrieve your game after shooting it on public and it running onto private.
It's actually closer to 95% chance that you aren't trespassing. If you don't believe me get out a handheld and walk to some random corners and see how many times you show up within ten feet of the marker, if there is one.

It's actually closer to 95% chance that you aren't trespassing. If you don't believe me get out a handheld and walk to some random corners and see how many times you show up within ten feet of the marker, if there is one.
To not trespass over a corner walking normally (not an Olympian triple jumper), you would have to be within 1 foot of the corner, maybe even 6 inches away if you take normal steps. I stand by my less than 1%. significantly less. I bet it is way less than 1 in 1000 or worse will you walk over the corner with a handheld, maybe 1 in 10,000 if you are lucky or good or have a long stride or jump from point to point at the end.

I just walked in a straight line from one side of the room to another 10 times with a normal stride and each time I trespassed at the corner, none were even close to not touching the opposite corners and I could see the corner!

If you(or the landowner) gets it surveyed by a licensed surveyor the monuments WILL NOT be hidden. If the landowner hides them later, THIS IS A CRIME. A licensed surveyor WILL NOT put his license on the line to do this. If the corner is surveyed everyone will be able to find the monument with GPS. If it is not surveyed no one has the ability to eyeball whether or not you were trespassing. The landowner walking into the courtroom and saying "I had that corner surveyed and marked then I moved it", is probably not a smart thing to do.
If the monuments are 50 yards away from the corner in the ground, you won't be able to see the monuments without trespassing! He could put up 10 different monuments on his side and a camera and it will be like Russian roulette, did you choose the correct one? He will know which one is the correct one.

I think we are all sort of in agreement here. 10-30 feet accuracy is probably good enough for a remote area with no monument, but it is still trespassing. It would be hard for a landowner to prove trespassing, but if he really wanted to he probably could. Also, the public could probably get monuments placed on the corners if they raised the money to survey them in. I think it all going to come back to the air space issue and how that is resolved.

If the monuments are 50 yards away from the corner in the ground, you won't be able to see the monuments without trespassing! He could put up 10 different monuments on his side and a camera and it will be like Russian roulette, did you choose the correct one? He will know which one is the correct one.

I think we are all sort of in agreement here. 10-30 feet accuracy is probably good enough for a remote area with no monument, but it is still trespassing. It would be hard for a landowner to prove trespassing, but if he really wanted to he probably could. Also, the public could probably get monuments placed on the corners if they raised the money to survey them in. I think it all going to come back to the air space issue and how that is resolved.
I'd gladly go before a judge and let my lawyer question him as a witness after tampering with survey markers.

You nailed it. If there's a monument you can easily cross the corner above it. And if there's not it can't be proven that you trespassed. Someone has to know for a fact that you were on the private land. As stated multiple time before intent to trespass is not a crime.

You need to quit referencing Game & Fish violations in regards to corner crossing.

According to the Wyoming Attorney General's office, corner crossing is not a G&F violation.
Corner crossing is one issue. Trespassing and missing the corner due to negligence of a poor handheld GPS or even worse a smartphone with another built in error rate of running OnX maps and missing a corner by hundreds of feet or more is quite another. Game and Fish issues many trespassing citations for blatant trespassing. Merely trying to say you were just attempting to Corner Cross won’t cut it. In fact hunting on private property is one of the top 10 Game and Fish citations issued every year.
”7. Do not trespass. Hunters must have permission from the landowner to cross or hunt on private land. Game and Fish recommends licensees obtain the signature of the landowner, lesse, or agent of the landowner as evidence that permission to hunt or traverse the property has been granted.” https://oilcity.news/wyoming/outdoo...-tagging-shooting-from-a-vehicle-trespassing/

Almost all of these parcels are already pinned at the corner no need for any extra work. The landowners can’t move the existing pins either.
Many have been surveyed for sure not all. The bigger issue is finding them. Have you ever gone out trying to fine one? I have many times. Normally it takes awhile to find them as they are overgrown with sagebrush and hidden in some very nasty places. I find most of them but sometimes it takes hours trying to find them. All the while wandering around in a grid pattern and likely trespassing trying to find it. They are not easy At All.

Corner crossing is one issue. Trespassing and missing the corner due to negligence of a poor handheld GPS or even worse a smartphone with another built in error rate of running OnX maps and missing a corner by hundreds of feet or more is quite another. Game and Fish issues many trespassing citations for blatant trespassing. Merely trying to say you were just attempting to Corner Cross won’t cut it. In fact hunting on private property is one of the top 10 Game and Fish citations issued every year.
”7. Do not trespass. Hunters must have permission from the landowner to cross or hunt on private land. Game and Fish recommends licensees obtain the signature of the landowner, lesse, or agent of the landowner as evidence that permission to hunt or traverse the property has been granted.” https://oilcity.news/wyoming/outdoo...-tagging-shooting-from-a-vehicle-trespassing/
You "must hunt or intend to hunt on private property" for it to be a G&F violation. Even your repetitive hypothetical where you miss the corner marker by 20' as you head across to public land would not be sufficient to warrant a G&F trespassing violation as you didn't hunt, nor intend to hunt, on private property. As long as you made it back to public property, and that was your intent, it's not a G&F violation.

It may (or may not be) trespassing, but it's NOT a G&F violation.

Screenshot_20220202-152805_Drive.jpg

You nailed it. If there's a monument you can easily cross the corner above it. And if there's not it can't be proven that you trespassed. Someone has to know for a fact that you were on the private land. As stated multiple time before intent to trespass is not a crime.
FAIL. In Wyoming the Game and Fish law states you must know where you are at, at all times. If you cross a corner without a survey pin,…..In Wyoming the burden is on the hunter to know for 100% certain he isn't trespassing and a recreational GPS isn't accurate enough. It is up to the individual to know whether or not they are on private or public land. This is why a good defense is crossing a certified and surveyed corner pin…

You "must hunt or intend to hunt on private property" for it to be a G&F violation. Even your hypothetical where you miss the corner by 20' as you head across to public land would not be sufficient to warrant a G&F trespassing violation as you didn't hunt nor intend to hunt on private property. As long as you made it back to public property and that was your intent, it's not a G&F violation.
Wandering around with a rifle on your back and a handheld GPS or even worse a smartphone running OnX maps and missing a corner by hundreds of feet with boot prints in the snow hundreds of feet from a corner isn’t mere Corner hopping it’s blatant TRESPASSING. That defense won’t work. It like trying to tell the officer you were just a little bit drunk. Yeah I’ve been drinking and I’m at .10 blood alcohol it’s still DUI. Missing a corner by a few feet is one thing. Missing it by hundreds of feet is an entirely different subject and that dog won’t hunt as a PATHETIC defense. Sorry occifer, I is just a leetle beet drunk……….

Like I said before the G&f use onx just like everyone else so if it shows you crossed in the right spot it's gonna show the same on their's!!!!

Like I said before the G&f use onx just like everyone else so if it shows you crossed in the right spot it's gonna show the same on their's!!!!
Never met a Game Warden who corner crosses or advises to do it. In fact they advise just the opposite. They know full well the built in inaccuracies of it. Our district Game Warden advises to keep a 100 foot buffer while hunting along any private property line without a fence just go be in the safe side as OnX may or may not be very accurate.

Many have been surveyed for sure not all. The bigger issue is finding them. Have you ever gone out trying to fine one? I have many times. Normally it takes awhile to find them as they are overgrown with sagebrush and hidden in some very nasty places. I find most of them but sometimes it takes hours trying to find them. All the while wandering around in a grid pattern and likely trespassing trying to find it. They are not easy At All.
I do this for a living. Try taking a handheld GPS striking a heading for the corner and walking it out. You'll go right to it. Look up the Central Limit Theorem., you'll figure it out I'm sure.

Like I said before they use onx just like me if it shows I'm good on mine it will on their's! how can we beat this thought you thick skull? Your district warden can advise anything but they have to prove you was trespassing how they gonna do that off onx cause that's what they use! Wake up bud your not Johnny law like you wanna be!

I do this for a living. Try taking a handheld GPS striking a heading for the corner and walking it out. You'll go right to it. Look up the Central Limit Theorem., you'll figure it out I'm sure.
I’m sure your a legend in your own mind. I also don’t think you’re trespassing if you find that corner but your naiveness and Ignorance about finding these corners is apparent. If there is a corner marker and you find it great, go for it. The ones I have sought out and never found I wander around sometimes for hours and never find it all the while walking around in circles in a big grid pattern and all the while likely trespassing.

FAIL. In Wyoming the Game and Fish law states you must know where you are at, at all times. If you cross a corner without a survey pin,…..In Wyoming the burden is on the hunter to know for 100% certain he isn't trespassing and a recreational GPS isn't accurate enough. It is up to the individual to know whether or not they are on private or public land. This is why a good defense is crossing a certified and surveyed corner pin…
You're trying to apply associative logic that doesn't apply.

The responsibility of the hunter to know where he is does not equate to criminality for not knowing where he is.

Criminal trespass is binary, you did or you didn't. Your actual location still has to be known, factually.

Like I said before they use onx just like me if it shows I'm good on mine it will on their's! how can we beat this thought you thick skull? Your district warden can advise anything but they have to prove you was trespassing how they gonna do that off onx cause that's what they use! Wake up bud your not Johnny law like you wanna be!
The Defense attorney for the defendants was very careful NOT to use that pathetic defense as he knew it would not float with the Judge. The lawyer writes…..

”The hunters did not rely on the GPS device, which they “understood to only be accurate to 30 feet.” Rather they “sought out the corner marker at every corner of public land before crossing the corner using their fence ladder,” the motion states.

I’m sure your a legend in your own mind. I also don’t think you’re trespassing if you find that corner but your naiveness and Ignorance about finding these corners is apparent. If there is a corner marker and you find it great, go for it. The ones I have sought out and never found I wander around sometimes for hours and never find it all the while walking around in circles in a big grid pattern and all the while likely trespassing.
Thats why I'm trying to explain it to you. GPS works thru triangulation, the more you move the more accurate it is. At any one "ping" the accuracy is +/- 10 feet with 95% confidence. The more "pings" that happen the more reliable your location is. If you strike a heading any given "ping" may be off by 10 feet, but as you continue to walk the errors average over time and you can be certain youre on the true heading. And if you strike a heading towards a corner you'll walk right to the corner. Stop walking in circles and squares an pick a straight line.

You're trying to apply associative logic that doesn't apply.

The responsibility of the hunter to know where he is does not equate to criminality for not knowing where he is.

Criminal trespass is binary, you did or you didn't. Your actual location still has to be known, factually.
Nearly all Wyoming Game and Fish laws are strict liability. Trespass to hunt, fish or trap is an example of a Wyoming statute in which intent need not be shown.

Thats why I'm trying to explain it to you. GPS works thru triangulation, the more you move the more accurate it is. At any one "ping" the accuracy is +/- 10 feet with 95% confidence. The more "pings" that happen the more reliable your location is. If you strike a heading any given "ping" may be off by 10 feet, but as you continue to walk the errors average over time and you can be certain youre on the true heading. And if you strike a heading towards a corner you'll walk right to the corner. Stop walking in circles and squares an pick a straight line.
Do you even get outdoors much? Walking at 9000 feet with trees and brush, a 30 mph wind and a blowing snow storm. Tell me how easy it is. I’ve been there and done that many times, it ain’t easy. Your naiveness makes me question your experience. Don’t bring up your surveyor experience I’m less than impressed so far…..

Do you even get outdoors much? Walking at 9000 feet with trees and brush, a 30 mph wind and a blowing snow storm. Tell me how easy it is. I’ve been there and done that many times, it ain’t easy. Your naiveness makes me question your experience. Don’t bring up your surveyor experience I’m less than impressed so far…..
So now these ranch hands driving around in trucks are catching people in dense foliage? This doesn't sound like BLM grazing land to me.

So now these ranch hands driving around in trucks are catching people in dense foliage? This doesn't sound like BLM grazing land to me.
Have you ever even been in the mountains. Geez…. The entire west side of elk mountain is dense forest. Your naiveness and blatant Ignorance is alarming………Yes Elk Mountain ranch has many ranch hands and a ranch manager…….

That's why we carry metal detectors when working with section corners. We who know what goes into section corner breakdowns, don't go to the field without everything needed to find a corner. Many times they're right there, erosion makes them easy to find, sometimes they're buried under a road. Guess what? You dig the road up.

Have you ever even been in the mountains. Geez…. The entire west side of elk mountain is dense forest. Your naiveness and blatant Ignorance is alarming………Yes Elk Mountain ranch has many ranch hands and a ranch manager…….
I have not, sounds like where I live. I use GPS to find corners, never had a problem. All the timber guys I know use GPS to find corners. Works for them. Maybe you should take a course on Geocaching.

Who cares about that dam ranch and if it's snowy get real dude!
Ever find a survey marker under two feet of snow? The atmospheric conditions of thick clouds, blowing snow and high wind seriously impact the accuracy of GPS. Get serious as your IGNORANCE is apparent…….Learn what affects a GPS. Geez….

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom