coues deer hunt

appaloosa

Hey Arizona,
I'm looking at doing a coues deer hunt this fall in one of the border units. 36 A-C and 34 are pulling at me for some reason, but I have no idea if any of them would be better than the others. I am a seasoned sheep and mule deer hunter from western Wyoming, so looking for places I can escape other hunters and find some deer. I would be interested in chatting with someone that might give me some solid direction. I would be happy to return the favor and offer my services in Wyoming in exchange. Much appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-17 AT 02:53PM (MST)[p]Any of those units could be good. Depends on the season you draw. As a NR, a permit for the late hunt would be a tough draw for you.

P.S. - My son, who is 53, moved to Afton two weeks ago. He works at the Dodge dealership in town.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

It's been at least 20 years since I hunted the Chiricahuas, and I can't recall what season it was. What I do remember is we got eight inches of snow in camp on the second night and it turned really cold and windy. We hunted high for two days and saw little sign the deer were still around so we dropped down to the snowline. We both killed small bucks over the next three days.

That said, I think either of the Dec. hunts this fall should be good. Even the one with 225 permits is OK since there's so much huntable area in 29. Of course, the later hunt will put you into the rut when the bucks get really stupid.

I haven't heard of too many exceptional bucks being taken from 29 in recent years, but you know they have to be there.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-17 AT 04:19PM (MST)[p].264

After I wrote that first reply about Unit 29, I realized it was the unit where I killed my first Coues deer in 1964. My grandfather and I hunted in the higher foothills on the west side. Shot it with my Marlin 336T 30/30, the only centerfire I owned at the time.

The following year, I bought a Model 70 .264 mag. Far as I can recall, it has killed every Coues deer since that first, most of which came out of 36B. It became my killing machine over the years and has accounted for lots of dead critters. I have killed others with .300, .338, 7mm, 270 WM, 270 Win. 7X57 & 243, though.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Good times you had with Grandad,never shot a coues before.I have 8 and my friend has 3 points not sure if we can draw the late tag but will give it a go.

Not to high jack the thread but I
Just saw your book on your reply.Ive had it for years.Ive read it several times just for the day I get to hunt Coues Deer.A great read and must have!!!
I loved the comment on the Steven Savage 30.06 .
Most accurate gun right out of the box ever made.
I agree I have a whole house full of stuff that I took all with that gun....The day I read that I rushed to the gun safe to check my model from what you wrote.
And That was my gun.
I have not got to come down yet but my boy is building points and ready to go.
Thanks for the book!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-17 AT 06:08PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the great review. :)

I believe you're referring to the write-up Craig Boddington did on the Savage 110, which I mentioned in the book, right?

About ten years later, he and I were on hunt together somewhere either on the Hualapai Res. here in AZ for pronghorn or in Alabama for Jackie Bushman's annual celebrity whitetail hunt and we actually talked about the 110 a bit after we noticed one of the local guides sighting one on the range. In reality we kind of chuckled a bit because the gun looked like an old fence post with an action mounted on it. It was really beat up, yet it still was shooting a tight group. If I recall it was a .270 Win.

Anyway, to the point, Craig still hadn't changed his opinion about the 110 back then.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I thought we all had the book? Mine is on the kitchen table as I used it as a reference before putting in for my hunts this fall. Been on two hunts. I missed one in 31 with my bow that I still cry about today.

Funny
My gun has been called a fence post a time or too.My dad bought me that gun and I've used it exclusively for over 30 years....
I was hoping I had the only copy of your book.That way I wouldn't have any competition when I get down there.LOL
With everything to hunt in the world
I somehow haven't made the grey ghost a priority.But my boy has so we will get there pretty quick.
I'm sure I will realize what a mistake it was to wait.Thanks again...

Actually Coues deer was usually my second choice into the 1970s because we normally hunted the Kaibab every year. Back in the 1960s, tags were good for any deer, and my granddad (Pop) just wanted meat for the table. so while I hunted for a buck, he would shoot the first thing that came along.

That first hunt in 29 was the second deer hunt for me in AZ. The first was a mule deer hunt somewhere near Peeple's Valley. I tagged a small 3x3 that I also shot with that 30/30 Marlin.

Here's a couple old pix from that hunt. The Chevy woody in the first photo was our hunting vehicle for a couple years. In the second photo, you can see my buck hanging in the tree. Pop is the man all the way in the rear.

75073deerhunt1.jpg

19757deerhunt2.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Great hunting picture,I sure miss those days of hunting with my Father,I had to pick up that book again I bought from you in 2010 and looking at the pics and stories.I have met a few of those guides that wrote stories in your book.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom