Cow bison taste?

I got an average cow bison and it was AMAZING, how does an old cow bison taste? Tough?
Older dry cow from last year. Tastes pretty good to me. Same as the last one I shot. Tenderloins are like rubber if you try and cook them. Made the whole thing into hamburger.

B6D921CF-E24D-434A-B99D-9B255E3C3057.jpeg

I've had steaks and roasts from a couple yearling cows from Jackson that were really good, but one old cow that was tougher than a boot. We actually had to crockpot or Insta-Pot the hamburger!!! I think its the way they live, because some meat from an older ranch cow from Montana was great.

Older cow we cook roasts in the crock pot and it broke it up quite a bit! If not I found it a little bit more tough. Hamburger is hamburger though.... cant tell the difference between it and beef.

Good info I do not remember mine being tough at all. Good point about how old is old. Another question can you tell if meat is going to tough during butchering? I never pay attention - but have never thought tougher eating meat was tougher to cut/butcher.

Good info I do not remember mine being tough at all. Good point about how old is old. Another question can you tell if meat is going to tough during butchering? I never pay attention - but have never thought tougher eating meat was tougher to cut/butcher.
IDK if I am right about this... But just what I have found... Maybe its in my head... But the leaner the meat.... such as buffalo and moose.... the tougher it is. At least that is what I think.... which means nothing ha

I have killed 4 bison. First was a older bull that was damn tough meat. Last 3 were cows that was no older then 3 years. Meat was great for taste and tenderness.
RELH

My UT Henry Mountains cow was aged at 4.5yrs old. Tender, excellent flavor, just fantastic eating.

My AK Delta Junction bull was aged between 17-18 yrs by Matson's lab. Flavor was good, but without dry aging even the tenderloins required jaw replacement surgery if you tried to eat it. But dry aging the tenderloins and loins for 40-127 days made those cuts very good.

Killed an 8-10 year old bull. Dry aged the back straps on the bone for 21 days. Amazing. Did the same with the flanks. Made most of the rest into burger and sausage.

I shot an old cow on the Henries back in 2003 I think it was. Yeah the flavor is excellent but I have never had tougher meat in my life. You could almost bite through the outer pounded part of a cube steak but once you got to the middle layer that didn't get touched by the hammer you were done getting through it.

I've eaten Goodyear Wranglers that were more tender.

I shot an old cow on the Henries back in 2003 I think it was. Yeah the flavor is excellent but I have never had tougher meat in my life. You could almost bite through the outer pounded part of a cube steak but once you got to the middle layer that didn't get touched by the hammer you were done getting through it.

I've eaten Goodyear Wranglers that were more tender.
Did you cook the Goodyear wranglers the same way you cooked the bison? I bet not!

My UT Henry Mountains cow was aged at 4.5yrs old. Tender, excellent flavor, just fantastic eating.

My AK Delta Junction bull was aged between 17-18 yrs by Matson's lab. Flavor was good, but without dry aging even the tenderloins required jaw replacement surgery if you tried to eat it. But dry aging the tenderloins and loins for 40-127 days made those cuts very good.
How did you dry age the meat?
Thanks

Hawkbill, you have to make a decision if you want a older larger trophy bull or a fill the freezer cow or young bull. Keep it 3 years old or younger and you should get great tasting meat for the family.
If you go for the larger trophy bison, make it into hamburger or sausage. Also you can cook the roasts in a slow cooker with plenty of moisture and you will get meat tender enough for the table. Look for recipes using a sauce that you may like for the slow cooker.
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom