CPW Commission updating 80/20

ColoradoOak

Very Active Member
The rule-making notice for the November Commission meeting says:

Open for final consideration of the following:
• Modifying the limited license application and drawing allocation processes for deer, elk, pronghorn and bear to include a rolling three-year average for licenses requiring ten or more preference points.

Currently the 80/20 units are those that took 6 or more resident preference points to draw way back when they calculated it for the years 2009-2011. They are proposing to change that to those that now take 10 or more resident preference points to draw over a three-year rolling average (previous three years). The three-year rolling average is good and will eventually result in more licenses.

However, by increasing the preference point level to those hunt codes that took 10 or more resident points to draw over the last 3 years, residents will only gain 53 additional deer licenses and will lose 200 elk licenses to non-residents. Below is the graph of data the commission used to make this decision. By their analysis, this will result in a "slight revenue gain," as there would be more elk licenses issued to NR. Meanwhile, the wildlife side of CPW had a $52 million revenue surplus the last FY.

Updating the hunt code list using the current 6+ PP criteria would result in 468 additional R deer licenses and 790 additional R elk licenses. Per the data below, this would result in a $75,000 loss of revenue.

80-20 allocation.jpg

You can provide comments to the commission about this proposal by emailing them to: [email protected]

I am a non-resident and feel it should be 80/20 across the board. Get rid of OTC tags while your at it and just manage the resource.
This right here, Colorado is favorite of lazy NR who procrastinate and do not spend the minimal amount of time to required to buy a point in WY, MT or try a random in NM or forget about Dec 1 ID every year. I know and hunt whitetail with more than a few of these people. Then they go to CO and OTC elk, spend a week out hunting with same minimal effort. Do not do any homework and never kill anything or get close, which takes a lot more time than an hour on the computer clicking a couple buttons. CO cut the tags, make your revenue back on a "general pt" like MT or something. Every other year or one tag every three, sit out next year whatever. Rotate it out everyone - go to MT one year, ID, CO the next, WY every fourth year on Gen tag etc.

This right here, Colorado is favorite of lazy NR who procrastinate and do not spend the minimal amount of time to required to buy a point in WY, MT or try a random in NM or forget about Dec 1 ID every year. I know and hunt whitetail with more than a few of these people. Then they go to CO and OTC elk, spend a week out hunting with same minimal effort. Do not do any homework and never kill anything or get close, which takes a lot more time than an hour on the computer clicking a couple buttons. CO cut the tags, make your revenue back on a "general pt" like MT or something. Every other year or one tag every three, sit out next year whatever. Rotate it out everyone - go to MT one year, ID, CO the next, WY every fourth year on Gen tag etc.

If that’s the case that they are lazy and rarely kill, why would you want to give up the revenue they bring in? I dont have a strong opinion either way, but that logic is flawed. If you’re concerned about over harvest thats one thing….

For what it’s worth, this will be my first year in Colorado. I have a deer tag, but will be in a otc elk unit. Maybe this hunt will change my perspective.

If that’s the case that they are lazy and rarely kill, why would you want to give up the revenue they bring in? I dont have a strong opinion either way, but that logic is flawed. If you’re concerned about over harvest thats one thing….

For what it’s worth, this will be my first year in Colorado. I have a deer tag, but will be in a otc elk unit. Maybe this hunt will change my perspective.
Which rifle season are you going?

I have a Gunnison 2nd season deer tag and specifically looked at what was OTC for elk and what was draw, just to have a few less people in the woods, which is a lot in second season anyway. I hope you have a great deer hunt. Looks like it is finally going to get colder next week not sure about snow yet.

Good luck, 2nd seems busier than 3rd with as weather usually isn’t as bad. Seems more residents hunt 3rd and Non res hunt second. You will get a first hand experience of the free for all.

I'd also like to see the 80/20 split apply for all choices. Currently the 65/35 split only applies to first choice applications. So if Residents don't have enough applicants to get 65% of the tags, they can go to NR's if they have more 1st choice applicants than their 35% quota. Perhaps this sounds greedy but it's just gotten to the point that CPW rules opt to not give Residents the "perceived" allotment of tags if not enough apply as their 1st choice. Its gotten to the point that I see NR's getting more than 35% of the tags because not enough R's applied perhaps because they know it's a marginal unit not worth burning points on (even 0 pts). So for the unit I've always drawn 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice, this no longer applies as there's just way too many NR's applying. The current 65/35 implies that Residents get 65% of the tags but this is not true nowdays because of the significant increase in applications. I'd just like to see the split apply for all choices and be a true allocation of the tags of R's vs NR's regardless of 1st 2nd etc. choice. End of rant!

Unfortunatly everything is revinue driven. No one at CPW has any incentive to give a damn about the resident DIY sportsmen! As public servents they should have term limits and have to be voted in. You can bet that the landowners and outfitters who profit from the current system spend plenty of money and time making sure that board members who make these policies keep it the way it is.
As long as these members stay the same it will be status quo.
If any knows of a Legislator that is Resident friendly please post who it is, that is the only way this will ever change.

I spoke with a state rep from sterling when the whole outlaw cat hunting came up from that crazy witch in Boulder. I will try to recall his name he sits on the ag committee he was hunter friendly and seemed level headed

I spoke with a state rep from sterling when the whole outlaw cat hunting came up from that crazy witch in Boulder. I will try to recall his name he sits on the ag committee he was hunter friendly and seemed level headed
I think that is the only chance for the resident DIY to be represented.

I think that is the only chance for the resident DIY to be represented.
I think you are right, I would love to speak with some of the commissioners, who are governor appointed political favors, it is quite the group, maybe 2/3 of the 11 have hunted/shot guns in their life. A lot of them from Boulder…. The fact they are largely in charge of rules/regs for CPW which is only making money from hunting and fishing, yet many have no clue and or could care less and are not voted in so we can’t vote them out. I really don’t like how it’s set up. Commissioners should be voted in/out in elections

Lets hope he wins his election next month. He's the one that tried to run the bill last time to guarantee tags for residents

That would be awesome! Shoot 10 years ago I would have said he was a lock in Larimer county but lots of change in that time…

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom