Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie

Blank

Long Time Member
I missed my kitchen. Long road trips and two days of junk food is enough. True crust for bottom deep dish, lots of roasted rotisserie chicken, veggies and mushrooms, and puff pastry strips for added crunch. Yummy!!

D782A563-917A-4557-8526-789A0CD27D0A_1_201_a.jpeg

800DDC69-439C-46AA-A578-D52FF019F337_1_201_a.jpeg

77203A3D-9CED-457D-B607-0396B85B0765_1_201_a.jpeg

16F9C92C-F862-48DF-A589-B3E118C41834_1_201_a.jpeg

When I was a teen, my dad worked the 4-12 shift at a Ford assembly plant in NJ. So dinner was usually just my mom & I. Unfortunately, she had got into this thing for quick & easy Morton's frozen pot pies. I learned to hate them, especially for the peas within them. When I left home for college, I swore I would never eat another pot pie. That was 60+ years ago, & I've kept to that vow.

When I was a teen, my dad worked the 4-12 shift at a Ford assembly plant in NJ. So dinner was usually just my mom & I. Unfortunately, she had got into this thing for quick & easy Morton's frozen pot pies. I learned to hate them, especially for the peas within them. When I left home for college, I swore I would never eat another pot pie. That was 60+ years ago, & I've kept to that vow.
I get it. I swore I’d never eat another salad when I left home………. but I repented, I’d give a lot to have some my Mom’s salads again.

I get it. I swore I’d never eat another salad when I left home………. but I repented, I’d give a lot to have some my Mom’s salads again.
My mother wasn't a very good cook for the most part. My dad hated onions, garlic & a couple other spices, which meant the food she made was pretty bland. I couldn't wait to get to grandma's for the perfunctory Italian family dinners every Sunday. It usually included a wide array of appetizers & entrées for everyone's tastes. She even made special dishes for my dad without all the spices. A noisy poker game always followed.

Last edited:
My mother wasn't a very good cook for the most part. My dad hated onions, garlic & a couple other spices, which meant the food she made was pretty bland. I couldn't wait to get to grandma's for the perfunctory Italian family dinners every Sunday. It usually included a wide array of appetizers & entrées for everyone's tastes. She even made special dishes for my dad with all the spices. A noisy poker game always followed.
Being Mormons, ours was Cribbage, no less noisy, I guarantee ya!?

The poker games were not just noisy. With 6 to 8 Italians around the table it was also downright dangerous because they all talked with their hands, too. :rolleyes:

italianhands.gif

As a young buck and not well to do with 6 boys to feed, the Banquet pot pies at 5 for a dollar were common fare. I still cringe.

As a young buck and not well to do with 6 boys to feed, the Banquet pot pies at 5 for a dollar were common fare. I still cringe.
Now that all the kids are gone and Momma retired from being the chief cook and bottle waster, I am grateful for those little Banquet pies. Dumping one over a slice of Grandma Sycamore’s and I’m a pretty happy camper. Bets the daylights out of Ballpark tube steak…….

Make your own, and only put in what you like! If you look in the frozen section now, they have mixed veggies with asparagus and NO peas!!! If I identify my half, I even get peppers and onions. :)

Make your own, and only put in what you like! If you look in the frozen section now, they have mixed veggies with asparagus and NO peas!!! If I identify my half, I even get peppers and onions. :)
Peas, asparagus, broccoli, all good by me

Not sure why I would go out of way to make something I don't care to eat with or without peas. That's especially so since there are so many ways to cook chicken that I do like. I don't make quiche-style meals, for the same reason.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom