deer in unit 35, 36, 45

ToddT

I hunted this area in 2005 and had a great hunt. I hunted the fourth season and took a great buck on opening day. Along the way I saw numerous bucks, but nothing great. Anyway, I drew that tag with two points but now the points are up to six and increasing every year.

After the winter of 07 - 08 I think it was common knowledge that the populations and the older class bucks took a hard hit. BUT, that has been five years now and I would think the problems would have slowly worked their way out. On the other hand, my dad is a taxidermist around Denver and has friends that say the herd is not what it was then, and most suggest waiting a few more years in hopes of regaining a better herd and age class structure. The downside is I am itching to get back to that area and hunt a true giant. On the bright side, I have enough going on with other opportunities that I wouldn't greatly miss it if I wait.

So what say ya'll? What would you guys that have regular experience with this unit think about what is to come, whether it is this year, next, or even a few years down the road?

If anyone would like to PM me that may be best.

On a side note, and it has been said before, but several of the publications are seemingly ruining some of what used to be great units, and they are doing this in more ways than one, IMO. Also they are really screwing some of their subscribers. A prime example, and my dad didn't draw the tag because of these publications advice, rather previous reputation and friends, but two years ago he drew unit 21 third season with 13 resident points and was terribly frustrated with what he saw. He did take a nice 180ish buck, but felt that class of buck could have been taken in almost any unit with enough preparation, scouting and hard work. That is a primary reason I rely greatly on reputable advice from sites such as monstermuleys.

Good luck to everyone in the drawings and thanks for any help.

Ive had one PM from an elk hunter who said that since the winter of 08, numbers seemed down. Any other thoughts? or observations?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom