Deer Tag Value

Muley_73

Very Active Member
I have been reading about how the DWR is monetarily reliant on the deer tag sells in Utah.

Question, what is the real value of a deer tag in Utah. I believe it is far north of current $40.00 charged for residents currently.

If the issue is dollars for the DWR why are we so severely undervaluing the resource that funds them???

As a resident, we contribute to State expenses, one of which is the cost to manage wildlife/big game animals. So, because we pay State taxes, we’ve already paid for some of the cost to keep and support big game. The cost of the tag is to help bridge the gap between what we pay in taxes and the cost to keep big game viable and grow a surplus for sport hunting.

In my opinion a poor job of growing a surplus for hunting has been done, if increasing the cost of the tag would solve the lack of good management, I would recommend it in a split second.

I’m willing to pay for what ever a surplus population would cost, however much per tag that comes to.

M73, I am not sure what you mean when you ask what is the "real value" of a mule deer tag in Utah. I think you may be asking the same question that Tristate regularly asks which is how much would sportsmen be willing to pay of we auctioned off all of our deer tags? If that is where you are headed, then I am not a fan of that line of thinking. That path leads us further down the road of commercializing hunting and further away from the North American Conservation Model.

As an aside, I would be willing to pay more of it would actually help improve our hunting and herds. However, do you think that would solve the problem? I have seen over and over again that despite what politicians will tell you, government rarely solves problems just by spending more money. I don't think the primary challenges facing our deer herds is a lack of funding for the DWR. In addition, we have allowed our conservation groups to raise millions and millions of dollars from our big game tags, and although they have funded some worthwhile projects, they have also been unable to turn the tide on mule deer numbers.

Finally, despite what many people argue on these forums, I don't believe that the DWR is issuing too many deer tags in an effort to preserve the funding for their agency. The reality is they have already eliminated over 150,000 annual deer tags over the last 40 years and they will cut more tags this year. I personally am glad that we manage the state for some Premium LE units, some LE units and some general units. As we saw in other posts, if we managed every unit like the Henries or the Paunsaugunt, deer hunting would be a once in a lifetime affair. No thanks!

Hawkeye

There is this but I guess you would need to know exactly how much is derived from deer tag fees.

And then there is this.
"While the Division budget may seem large, it is rather small compared to many western states. This is due, in part, to revenue limitations that Utah has placed on itself by restricting the quantities of licenses, by restricting the numbers of non-resident licenses, and through efforts to keep the cost of hunting and fishing licenses at nominal levels."

Elkster-

I generally don’t get wound up with the DWR cutting or increasing tags for biological reasons or to comply with the mule deer plan. However, I am not a fan of the DWR cutting tags because a few whiny sportsman want to see less competition and do not understand that hunters are not the limiting factor for our mule deer herds.

If you want to see less hunters in the field and significantly higher buck-to-doe ratios then wait in line and go hunt a LE or Premium LE unit like the Henries. Oh wait, you are not satisfied with the pisscutters on that unit either. ?‍♂️

Hawkeye

Last edited:
Hawk,
In one post you state that you don't believe government agencies are the answer based on government agencies past track record. Then you post that you don't have a problem with the DWR cutting or increasing....so which is it? Are they worth giving dollars to or is it a lost cause...or does is just depend on who they are siding with on certain issues?

I am still waiting for someone to say what they believe the actual value of a Utah Deer Tag is? It would seem to me to undervaluing the resource is actually more in line with old commercial or market hunting and further away from Teddys vision of good stewardship and conservation?

M73-

I have been very critical of the DWR over the years but I believe they are generally trying to balance many competing interests. As I said before, I don’t believe they are issuing tons of tags to generate $ nor do I believe they have been issuing doe tags to help buck-to-doe ratios. And if we are going to criticize DWR, let’s also criticize the WB and the conservation groups that have been setting the policies for the DWR over the last 30 years.

I want the DWR to make decisions based on science. That being said, I understand they also have to manage hunters and deal with social issues. I believe the current structure is a pretty fair balance between trophy and opportunity hunters. I would love to grow our deer herds so that we can increase quality and quantity but that has been difficult to accomplish for all western states.

Hawkeye

Hawk,
In one post you state that you don't believe government agencies are the answer based on government agencies past track record. Then you post that you don't have a problem with the DWR cutting or increasing....so which is it? Are they worth giving dollars to or is it a lost cause...or does is just depend on who they are siding with on certain issues?

I am still waiting for someone to say what they believe the actual value of a Utah Deer Tag is? It would seem to me to undervaluing the resource is actually more in line with old commercial or market hunting and further away from Teddys vision of good stewardship and conservation?
40$ is what they are worth-dollar wise
For me each year priceless
Unless money is used to buy ground for habitat mostly winter range, money is basically useless in helping our deer.
Money and social media has ruined hunting
So much money is made off of hunting and then you have the dick measuring contest on the internet
Now I am rambling
They are worth the price on the tag

Dangbig,
So you are saying you only think the tags would sell out if they are $40.00? I curious what the actual value of the tags are not just the cost. Would the Utah general tags sellout at $100.00...at $1,000.00. more ? Less? I am interested in the value of the resource not we get it sold to us in the government soup line.

Yes they would sellout I think at 1000, I can’t afford that but I would probably pawn something to get a tag just so I could go

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom