Do pronghorn jump fences?

alsatian

I hunted pronghorn antelope near Gillette, Wyoming this last October for the first time. The owners of the ranch where I hunted told me that, contrary to what all the books tell you, pronghorn antelope do jump fences now. They have learned to jump fences. It seems I even witnessed this myself, but at this moment my recollection is dim on this point. On the other hand, I recall seeing two bucks separated from a small group of 8 does by a fence who nervously milled around the fence, moving back and forth, evidently trying to find a place where the fence was down to cross over. They were probably nervous because they knew I was attempting to stalk up on them, but they evidently found a way across because by the time I reappeared within rifle range they were gone.

Have you ever seen pronghorn jump over fences? Maybe just pronghorn in specific areas have learned this skill. I have been told or read that at least formerly pronghorn didn't know how to jump because their natural environment did not have obstacles -- blown over trees, for example -- which they needed to jump over.

I've heard the same thing that they don't jump fences. While I've never witnessed it personally, I did watch a show on the Outdoor Channel that showed lopes jumping fences. So, I guess they do.

I've seen them jump a fence on several occasions. Not a regular occurence though.

I saw an antelope go running full-bore and smack into a fence one time if that tells you anything. I felt horrible for the little guy. It was a young antelope and it got going as fast as it could, smacked into the fence, turned around, ran about 50 yards in the other direction, turned back around and ran into the fence again. It didn't even see me and was actually running toward me and hit the fence about 20 yards away from me. By this time momma antelope came to the rescue. The little guy must have been disoriented by this time but I must say, he was determined NOT to jump that fence.

I've seen them jump fences before, but it sure seems like they would rather go through or under them than over.

I've only seen a handfull of antelope jump fences before so on occasion they will do it. 99.99% of the time they will either go under a fence or somehow through them. Fences are one of antelopes worse obstacles and nightmares!

I don't know if you remember back quite a few years ago but there was a rancher on the Red Rim of Wyo that got po-ed at something and put up a long stretch of sheep-fence across the antelopes migratory path in the Red Desert. Since the antelope didn't jump the fence there were hundreds (if not thousands) of antelope that died. All they needed to do was jump the fence but they didn't!

Your rancher buddy must have them trained pretty good if he has them jumping fence!

Not trained well enough, or he would probably train them to keep off his property. I could tell that he would prefer to have fewer pronghorn on his property nibbling the vegetation.

It sounds like most often pronghorn don't like to jump. As I said, I saw two bucks that weren't willing to jump a fence and nearly provided me with a shooting opportunity thereby.

I have seen bucks and only bucks jump fences near Kemmerer, Wyoming. I do agree however that 99% of lopes I see will crawl under or run parallel with fencelines until they find an opening.

Well i don't know about other places but i have seen antelope jump fences 100's upon 100's of times here in NW Co. They will go to a crossing that is easier to get across if they are not in a hurry, but it is no big deal for them to jump fences. I have seen some that sure did not look like they new how to cross a fence though, but for the most part they just do what they need to do to servive. I know one thing if you corralled a bunch of lopes' around here in a regular four strand fence they would be out in no time.

We have seen it around here in Idaho, but I believe it is more of an inherited trait isolated to a locality/herd. Maybe 95/5% chance of them jumping? Each and every year the same small area has it happen (Island Park), but not out on the desert or the Birch Creek/Little lost areas.

I agree with the above posts. They are more inclined to go under rather than over a fence. That said though, I have seen a couple jump fences personally. Also tony Grimmett's antelope dvd show a real toad jump a fence with ease.

Josh Rector

Very interesting discussion. Being from California, I'm no pronghorn expert for sure. I have spent a fair amount of time in Northeastern California where most of our antelope live though, and have never seen one jump a fence. They do know where all the holes are though and will travel way out of their way to access a spot where they can go under or through. Until now I would have bet money that they would not or could not jump a fence.

I learn something new almost every day on this site!

Steve

i've never seen one jump the fence. I grew up with antelope in my backyard everyday. Although i have never seen one run full bore into a fence (twice) either. So i guess anything is possible.

I've seen them jump fences several times. But as the one post said, I don't ever remember a does jumping a fence. It could be I didn't pay as much attention and was probably watching a buck. I also agree that they would prefer to go under or around, but I have a couple bucks on video that galloped right up to the fence and jumped it without thinking twice just like a muley or whitey would do.

Lien2

I've seen does jump fences twice. They do prefere to go around or under though. Both times they were in a group of antelope which all crawled through the wire except for the lone jumper. I've even seen a buck go between strands of barbed wire without hardly breaking stride, just folded up and punched through. In the Maybell, Colorado area you can drive around and see antelope legs stuck in fences. It looks like they misjudged the jump and go under the top wire (with their front legs) but over the second wire which then twists over the top wire trapping the goat. Feeds the coyotes I'm sure.

BeanMan

I have seen three (3) antelope jump a decent height fece. I have seen probably 3000 go under. All that I saw jump were mature bucks.

I've never seen an antelope jump a fence. But driving down a gravel backroad had an antelope buck running along a fence even with my truck and dove under without missing a beat. I was doing about 25MPH. The bottom wire was less than 18" off the ground.

I think it is nice when the bucks lift up the bottom wire with their mouths so the does and fawns can go under!!!

"That there is funny. I dont care who you are." I have seen both bucks and does jump a barbedwire fence. They were all bunched in a corner and lots were going under and through and lots were jumping over pretty easily. Also seen a huge buck running full bore go over without even missing a step.
)))---->DEVIL_DOG<----(((

I guess some folk don't believe they go under. That was funny though. Have a look at this photo posted by hunterbob in Feb this year.

428ca50756ece5a5.jpg

just lilke anything else, if they have to they will. Ive seen it. If they don't have to they wont. Ive seen elk walk a fencline until they found an opening to go through rather than just jump it. If they don't have to or want to they wont do it. Otherwise they will.

Depends on the fence and the antelope. In areas that there are sheep fence, they have to jump over. In areas there are barbed wire they usually always go under. From this computer looking out the window I have seed antelope jump the fence in the same place nearly every day; Bucks, Does, Fawns. They are not scared antelope, they just walk up to it and jump over it to the next pasture to feed. In areas of eastern Wyoming an antelope would die if it couldn't jump fences, there are sheep fences everywhere. However if an antelope lives in a place where there is only barbed wire fences and never had to jump one, if frightend and had to cross a sheep fence I could see it strangling its self trying to go under or through...

So to me it depends on the antelope, in my experience a scared antelope will avoid crossing a fence till last resort or a known crossing is found.

Game animals do all kinds of strange things when scared or shot at. I've seen whole herds of elk run right through hunting camps when shhit hits the fan...

WB

Once i was hunting in SD and sneaked to the top of a rise and shot a 15.5 incher out of a group of 25 or so and they started runing back and forth on the inside corner of a fence. finally a couple went under a couple jumped and the rest followed but most went under. that definately seems like their first response.

also one time my dad shot at an 18incher as he was crawling under and missed with his bow at 25yds because he dropped that extra little bet to clear righ when my dad released.
the big one that got away......again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom