Draw order question

StickFlinger

I have alot of points built up for limited deer and sheep. According to the draw order, if I draw my deer tag then there is no way I can draw my sheep tag in the same year. Please enlighten me, if so this does not make any sense to me!

Flinger,
There is no good explanation for the Utah draw order! Utah draws the LE animals before the OIAL tags.
So a deer, elk or antelope draw eliminates a chance at moose, bison, sheep or goat. Go figure!
I would have drawn an elk years ago, but I have always been afraid that I would draw an elk on the year my sheep number comes up. So I keep buying elk points and hope for a sheep.

I'm thinking this needs to be changed!

OIAL permits should be drawn BEFORE the LE ..

Need to take this one to the RAC and board ..

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

>
>I'm thinking this needs to be
>changed!
>
>OIAL permits should be drawn BEFORE
>the LE ..
>
>Need to take this one to
>the RAC and board ..
>
>
>
4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I did take it to the Southern RAC a couple of years ago! It wasn't discussed or even mentioned afterwards, but maybe now it's time has come!

Out of the past 20 years of bonus points, I've only "applied" for an LE tag 4 times for that very reason. I want my OIL tags worse than I want my LE tags!
Either way a guy would need to decide what's most important to him.
The order matters not to me. I can work it either way.
Zeke

Years and years ago I had a friend draw a desert sheep, buffalo and an elk tag all the same year!!!!! Scouting them all killed him!
No really, he was killed in a plane crash returning from scouting the deserts in Utah! Poor sucker never got to hunt any of them! RIP
Zeke

That's a not so pleasant memory, Zeke!
Our friend Doug called to see if I wanted to go on that flight, but since we both had to work, we stayed home.
I still have nightmares about hitting power lines while flying in a small plane.

>I like it...it gives me better
>odds on the OILs!!!

Yes it does, but only as long as you don't also apply for a Limited Entry hunt!

I can't figure out why Utah won't let you draw both a LE and an OIL in the same year. I guess I have been just spinning my wheels putting in for both all these years.

>I can't figure out why Utah
>won't let you draw both
>a LE and an OIL
>in the same year. I
>guess I have been just
>spinning my wheels putting in
>for both all these years.
>

That doesn't make sense to me.^^^
If you apply for both and don't draw a LE tag you are then in the pot to draw a OIL tag. That's a good thing.
The only time you wouldn't want to apply for both is when you're afraid you'll draw the LE and think you could draw a OIL tag and want it more.
Good luck in the draws.
Zeke

>What is "OIL"?
>Thx!

It's the stuff you put in your car to make the engine run smooth!!!

Or it's a monstermuleys retard way of saying once in a lifetime tag.

Here's a question; If you put in for an LE tag and don't draw do you still have a chance at an oil tag?

Thanks to a dozen or so "fence jumpers" this year, I drew a Desert sheep tag. I had 8 points going into a North san rafael Pronghorn draw where I had about a 50/50 chance of snagging a Max points tag. Out of now where came my new Hero's and snagged all the max points antelope tags and kicked me into the Desert sheep draw.

So, I'll take the opportunity to say Thank You Guy's now.

Yak

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Well the thing with the draw order is imo to eliminate some of the applicants in the oil hunts. MOre than likely a vast majority of the LE tag drawers also put in for OILS so if several thousand LE holders are removed from the pool it raises the odds of OIL hunts.

I think everyone should still be in both draws and if a person draws both they should be allowed to choose the tag. The remaining rejected tag would go to the next guy/gal in line.

I agree with that. Let them choose between the 2.

Heck, most of the better LE tags are effectively OIL anyway.

Grizzly

I thought you could only draw one tag per year Sorry for the lost. I'll do all of my scouting on foot if I'm lucky enough to draw a tag.

I see posts all the time about point creep or oil tags. A lot of this could be solved by making hunters pay for the most expensive tags before the draw. This would eliminate the majority of the oil applicants and a big portion of the LE applicants. As it stands right now a guy with 4 hunters in the family can apply for every hunt and spend less than $200, excluding a combo tag. The same guy would have to front 2k for 3 months if they wanted to apply for a sheep tag. I know they could just buy points, but wouldn't this move them through the system faster?

^^ yes, but....
The F&G really doesn't want people moved through the system faster. They want the application money and regardless of the system they still get the same money from the tags!
What makes sense to us doesn't matter to them!
Zeke

The only thing that improves point creep is DEATH and more permits!
Unfortunately I am closer to the first than the second!
LOL

I agree it's probably about the app fees, but double the fee to buy a bonus point only. Double the fees for expo tags. The same 4 person family would still buy the bonus points, but still eliminate the bulk of the oil applicants and a good share of the LE entries. I don't really get into the draw point creep thing, but wouldn't this be a win/win? Seems like a fairly simple solution, but I'm sure there is something I don't know about the process. If I put in for a Montana non-res tag I have to front the money.

I do know this tho, a young hunter will never draw a oil tag and his LE chances are most likely an oil tag as well.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom