E-bikes

Wyo_Roadhunter

What's the big selling point with e-bikes? Looking now most places consider them in the same category as motorcycles so you can only take them on designated motorized trails or trails that motorcycles are ok to be on. I just want to know if I'm missing something with these because 6k for a good one seems pretty steep..

Nothing new there....were you thinking they were legal in Wilderness?
No not in wilderness I knew anything with a wheel wasn't allowed in there. I was more wondering about old logging roads and things like that where people can ride a plain bicycle up them.

What's the big selling point with e-bikes? Looking now most places consider them in the same category as motorcycles so you can only take them on designated motorized trails or trails that motorcycles are ok to be on. I just want to know if I'm missing something with these because 6k for a good one seems pretty steep..
Most places? Utah defines an ebike as a bicycle so anywhere a bicycle can go an ebike can go.

D510C92D-8A7D-417E-8EE0-9085C2595949.jpeg

Thats good to know. I just called the forest service and they told me they was considered the same thing as motorcycles when it came to where they could be used.
You called the Utah forest service? The Utah Forest Service should follow legislation not opinion based on who you spoke with on the phone.

Yeah thats kind of surprising. To me the advantage of them would be gated logging roads. If you can’t take them there I don’t really see a point. Then again I’m not a bike guy. When I see some of the trails mountain bikers ride I just think it looks like more work then walking

Most places? Utah defines an ebike as a bicycle so anywhere a bicycle can go an ebike can go.

View attachment 82288
Your statute is from 41-6-102. Further down the same statute it clarifies that it doesn't mean e-bikes are legal where otherwise prohibited. Utah can't legalize travel on Forest Service land.

Screenshot_20220727-161539_Samsung Internet.jpg

BLM generally allows e-bikes because they're governed by Department of Interior. USFS is under the purview of Department of Agriculture and they've made no such designation. It's up to the individual managing Forest Service (or for Idaho hunters, they're still illegal where outlawed by the Motor Vehicle Rule.)

Last edited:
My better half wanted to go to Amish country this past month so we drove over there. I saw several of them ride by me on the road in the opposite direction but pedaled very sparingly, and I said, man that don't look right going that fast without pedaling "how do they do that"?- simple I thought they are using electric bikes now. One of them parked one in front of a store that we were at and I walked over and sure enough it was an electric bike.

Next up will be electric buggies and the horses will be kicked to the curb.

They now like their cell phones too.

From all the research I‘ve done they are only legal where ATV‘s, motorcycles, etc. are legal thus no benefit to hunt from IMO except for maybe the noise reduction aspect or to save some gas in this day and age of high gas prices lol.

Like Grizzly stated in the post above, USFS rules on National Forest land and federal rules on BLM land. State Fish and Game agencies/regulations may place even more stringent restrictions on motor vehicle/e-bike use even on non-state owned land for hunting (i.e. Idaho Motorized Hunting Rule) but the state can’t trump the land agencies own rules/laws.

Horniac

My better half wanted to go to Amish country this past month so we drove over there. I saw several of them ride by me on the road in the opposite direction but pedaled very sparingly, and I said, man that don't look right going that fast without pedaling "how do they do that"?- simple I thought they are using electric bikes now. One of them parked one in front of a store that we were at and I walked over and sure enough it was an electric bike.

Next up will be electric buggies and the horses will be kicked to the curb.

They now like their cell phones too.
The amish looking plicks from Lancaster PA who poached a deer on my place last year had ebikes. WTF

In CA they're considered bicycles if.....the motor is 750 watts or less and has a top speed of 20mph.

I've decided that's what the Forest Service says too.

We just got back from a ride with our daughter to get snowcones. We ride our e-bikes and she's in the little trailer behind. On last Saturday we rode from our house to the canyon and then along a river trail and had a picnic at a lake. We wouldn't have done either with regular pedal bikes.

They're expensive but a ton of fun if you'll use them.

We just got back from a ride with our daughter to get snowcones. We ride our e-bikes and she's in the little trailer behind. On last Saturday we rode from our house to the canyon and then along a river trail and had a picnic at a lake. We wouldn't have done either with regular pedal bikes.

They're expensive but a ton of fun if you'll use them.
That's great! They're a good excuse to get outdoors. Here the city is expanding our walking/bicycle trails so there will be lots of places to ride in the future.

Big selling point is the tax credit. As long as it is 750 watts or less.

I bought 1 in 2018.

After 2 really bad different wrecks on the mountain trails (1-I actually cracked my helmet) and having dumbasses pass me as close as they could get to me on the paved roads, I sold mine!

The FS decision certainly convinced me to sell it.

Robb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom