Elk near Strawberry

Stonefly

Very Active Member
I didn't want to hijack another guys thread about Elk in this area. So I started this one. I began hunting this area in 1980, along with my dad and uncle,who both had hunted here long before then. I now hunt it with my family ( Wife, 2 Sons, and a Daughter).
Over the years we have had very good luck. By luck I mean, we harvest 1 or 2 Elk each year,out of the 5 of us. I understand how things can change in an area over time, and because we do ALOT of scouting we have, to a point been able to change our plans and adapt. This has been VERY hard to do for the last 2 years.
#1 the dead fall in our area has been unbeliveable, Area's we have hunted for years and years are so clogged up even the animals avoid them.
#2 I saw a Bear the 3rd year I hunted out there. My uncle saw it also and it was a huge story around our camp. In the last 3 years only my Daughter has not seen Bear. I hiked over to tell my wife about a huge boar that had wandered under my tree stand one day, and while at her ground blind with her a momma and cub came into her seep for a drink. I dont know how much a Bear in the area should effect the game but, there has to be some effect. Also there are Moose( 2 Big Bulls,1 small Bull, and 2 cows one with a calf) that are in this area, and dont seam to be affected by the Bear. I am also glad to say the Deer numbers are really rebounding well. This year I saw 10 to 18,on each all day hunt. A few small bucks and 2 really great bucks. All the animals that have moved into the area must impact the Elk in one way or another I am sure. But for 3 years the numbers for Elk have really gone down. And when you find them they are in area's where in the past were not "Good" Elk area's.
#3 This year was really Hot and in the begining dry. Most of the Elk we found were in the "Dark" Pines, on steep canyon edges. And were very jumpy. Everyone saw Elk and the really strange thing was that it seemed the Elk didnt group up. you would find 2-3 in a group, and then a short distance away find another group of 2-3 again.
Those of you who know me , know this area I talk about is Huge. My guess is about 10 square miles. There is little access unless you like to walk, and walk, and then walk some more. The hunter pressure is not to bad. We did have some trouble with a couple guys setting up next to my wifes ground blind, But we moved her and the other guys said they were after deer. I only seen them walking in one day and it was at 9am. We did fill half a 55 gallon trash bag with their empty pop and beer cans after they left. And they left a nice hunting Knife at there campsite, that my son said fit in his back pack just right. The Elk numbers in this area are going down. This year we didnt take any animals, My wife did connect with a cow near our home in fairveiw. We did have some Close call's and I drew my bow twice, but no shots.
The folks I know that hunt this area are telling me that their hunts are becoming even less productive that ours. Are any of you folks doing any better around the Strawberry area. or in the Waters in Diamond Fork ?

Elk numbers have dropped in several LE Units the last several years!

Their New 4-4.5 age objectives SUCK!

Yes,there's still a few BIG BULLS being taken!

But compared to 2006 through about 2010 it SUCKS!

5-6 Months worth of Continuous & overlapped Big Game Hunts doesn't Help a Herd!

Hope you had Fun even though No Kills Stonefly!

I'll be experiencing the same kinda stuff soon!

Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D

I've been hunting the "Strawberry" area for the last 10 years. I generally hunt a particular area that makes up about a 10 square mile area, so my observations are based on a small sampling of the unit.

Back in 2003 I drew a Wasatch Bull Tag and found the shear number of elk not to mention bulls, large and small was very impressive. Since then the elk numbers have really dropped off noticeably. With that said, this year the area seemed to hold a good numbers of elk. I saw elk in particular areas that I haven't seen them in for quite some time. Now I only hunted the 2nd weekend but I was into elk all morning long on Saturday. In 2 drainages alone I saw 4 herds of elk, one of which had around 60 cows. I also seen 6 other bulls and herd a couple others bugling, so all in all I'd say not bad.

Every year seems to be a little different, so I can't say next year the elk numbers will be as high in this area.

Of note the number of hunters this year seemed to be the highest I remember in quite some time.

IMO the F&G is issuing too many tags for both L.E. bulls and cow tags.

I've talked with other hunters in the Wasatch unit and all have stated the same thing, that the elk numbers over the past decade have seriously declined.

I've also seen a big decline on the Manti unit. My experience is it's getting more difficult to find elk on the Manti. This year drainages that typically hold elk seemed to hold none. We saw elk but we had to cover a lot more ground to do so. Again IMO too many tags.

I've been hunting the Manti since I was 16 years old, I just turned 41 this year, so my experience is based on a pretty good sampling of years.

Agree or not these statements are made based on my field observations.

I agree with most of your observations, I guess what my comments were overall, was to question why the Elk move out of some area's and into others. I do agree that the numbers are down, way down in fact, for the area I have hunted. I too have hunted this area for many years and see a steady decline. But, I know there are Elk in the drainage 3 canyons over from my area. And the strange thing is, that area gets allot of pressure, and has easy access for vehicals.
They get run out and go right back. Last year there were no cattle in our hunt area, this year there were allot of cattle and I didnt see that it made a bit of difference. The old "honey hole" still hold a few Elk, but nothing like 5 years ago. And as i said, the other game animals seem to be doing great. I looked at the range conditions, Preditors, and water. It all looked to me to be good, all the other animals seem to like it.it just has me wondering why Elk would prefer less habitable area's

In my experience, bears have little to do with spooking game completely out of an area. I have had elk, then bears, then elk water within minutes of one another. Ive also watched them hanging out in the same oversized meadows several times.

I would not be a bit surprised if part of your problem is the deadfall? The elk over a few drainages that get pushed out then go back maybe due to better feed/water? Maybe its easier to travel with less deadfall?

I know Im seeing far less elk than previous also. Im really concerned about next year after all the control tags nd cow tags this year. Could be bad news...

Pm sent to ya.

I have hunted the wasatch for a long time, and in my opionion the herds are as good today as they have been in a long time.

I have been scouting for moose the last few weeks and hunting this weekend and I have seen tons of elk and quite a few very good bulls. I would agree that the beetle killed pines have changed the patterns of the elk, places that used to always hold elk now have very few, but other areas away from the pines that typically never had many elk are loaded up.

I would also agree that the bear population in exploding on the wasatch, we have seen tons of them the last couple of years.

My family has hunted this unit religiously for elk/deer the past 20 years. Again we tend to focus on a particular area that we have gotten to know very well. We have had great success and have killed a lot of elk between all of us, (all bow kills.) With that being said I would share my opinion that things have been...well....consistent. We did see fewer elk this year but have had several years in the past that are like that. In all I have learned in hunting elk in thick timber, sometimes you see them, sometimes you don't. The animals are nomads and seem to roam all over. I too worry about the amount of tags they are issuing but my opinion is, most guys don't kill elk every year because they are not willing to put the miles on their legs to get it done. (Speaking for bow hunters anyway.)In all....love this unit and have so many memories there will dad, brother and other friends and family.

>Elk population on public ground......sucks.....nuff said
>
>
>
>
littlebeaver.jpg

>
>https://www.facebook.com/strawberrybayoutfitters

Uh BEAVIS?

How bout some 2013 Archery Bull Pics?

Best Watch Out!
My Arm is starting to Hurt!
I'm about to Itch it!

I've been running aroud Strawberry ridge, Waters, Tie fork,
Sheep creek area for 35 years ............

Have watched the rise and FALL of elk numbers ...

The last 3 to 4 years, Elk numbers in that area,
FALLING LIKE A ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!Bye, bye elk...SAD....

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I get a kick out of the Hunters/Observationists claiming there's as many Elk as there's ever Been!

I'm still waitin for Beav's Honest opinion?

It's OK Beav to Curse even if you're a return RMJ!:D:D:D

Best Watch Out!
My Arm is starting to Hurt!
I'm about to Itch it!

Bess,
It is much like you sharing your observations on all the wounded animals by bowhunters. You have to be the most connected dude this side of the Mississippi with all the BS reports you spew.

The next time I believe some hick plumber from the Basin with an axe to grind with bowhunters will be the first time.

Have a great hunt this fall 'ol bobcatbessy (that is assuming you have time to hunt after meeting your quota of posts on Monstermuleys) :)

Stonefly

Like you my Dad and I started hunting the Strawberry area for deer and elk in the early 1980s. The area we hunted deer in didn't hold many elk then. There were a bunch of hunters walking in the field with only a few road hunters. At that time 2 and 3 point bucks were everywhere. You had to get out and hunt for bigger bucks and we filled out every year with nice 24" to 30" 4 X 4. We were both lucky enough to each kill non typ old bucks (not the same year) but we earned every pound of meat and inch of antler doing so. The area we would go into you either walked or rode horses. No roads or ATV trails.

By the early/mid 1990s we never saw a deer even scouting during the summer, elk were everywhere so we changed over and only elk hunted. We killed rag horn bulls before the spike only converstion.

Fast forward to now. I hunt by myself in the same area the same way I have for 30+ years. The only difference is my life long hunting partner (Dad) can no longer hunt due to battling cancer. I agree the elk numbers have changed, patterns changed and I don't see the numbers of calves like I used too. I never saw a predator in the 80's. I see coyotes at least one bear each season and could not tell you if it was a boar a sow. I still see elk and fill my spike tag every year.

Haven't been lucky enough to draw a deer tag but look forward to the year I do because the big bucks are back!

What's nice is I do not see any hunters for an entire week until I get back by a road. He's how I see it in the area I hunt, the animals are there and with the lack of foot pressure and hunters in the field (I mean away from the roads) the animals do not need to leave the comforts and expose themselves. Stay after it and always look for new hidden pockets and look in areas that you wouldn't think hold game.

Good luck

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom