Fair warning-get them picked up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bux n Dux

For those of you that struggle with keeping things within the regs, this weekend is your last weekend to get your trail cams on public land picked up (should have been done 9 days ago, but some feel like rules don’t apply to them). starting next weekend, any cams I come across on public land (Nebo, manti, west desert…), will be removed and taken to the nearest division office to the unit they were picked up on. You can pick them up there if you want them back! Last year I found a PILE of cams well after July 31, some of which had bait placed in front of them with fresh treestands near by. One camera line belonged to a local outfitter, but it was being checked by a “non-hunter” on a weekly basis and current information was being passed on to the right people.

And I don’t want to hear any “I’m not hunting, I’m just watching wildlife” excuses. No you’re not. You’re trying to play the gray area and dont want to follow the rules. Get them picked up! If I can’t run cams, neither can you! Several DWR officers have told me they don’t have the time or resources to enforce the law so they have to pick and choose which leads to pursue. Most went ignored last year…. Not this year!

Hope everyone has a great season! ? I can’t believe it’s here already.

So, what happens if it is someone just trying to watch and not hunts camera? Ik I first hand have put cameras in spots that I never was going to, never did, and never wanted to hunt, but I simply put a camera to see what was in the area. Granted I'm in CO not Utah, but still....what if. You're going to just take theirs in? Every camera is treated the same? Not saying thats wrong either just curious.

For those of you that struggle with keeping things within the regs, this weekend is your last weekend to get your trail cams on public land picked up (should have been done 9 days ago, but some feel like rules don’t apply to them). starting next weekend, any cams I come across on public land (Nebo, manti, west desert…), will be removed and taken to the nearest division office to the unit they were picked up on. You can pick them up there if you want them back! Last year I found a PILE of cams well after July 31, some of which had bait placed in front of them with fresh treestands near by. One camera line belonged to a local outfitter, but it was being checked by a “non-hunter” on a weekly basis and current information was being passed on to the right people.

And I don’t want to hear any “I’m not hunting, I’m just watching wildlife” excuses. No you’re not. You’re trying to play the gray area and dont want to follow the rules. Get them picked up! If I can’t run cams, neither can you! Several DWR officers have told me they don’t have the time or resources to enforce the law so they have to pick and choose which leads to pursue. Most went ignored last year…. Not this year!

What is a rifle hunter doing out in the woods on the archery hunt? Go home and go back to bed.

So, what happens if it is someone just trying to watch and not hunts camera? Ik I first hand have put cameras in spots that I never was going to, never did, and never wanted to hunt, but I simply put a camera to see what was in the area. Granted I'm in CO not Utah, but still....what if. You're going to just take theirs in? Every camera is treated the same? Not saying thats wrong either just curious.
You have from January 1 to July 31 to “watch” your wildlife. If that’s truly the case, you can go pick it up at the nearest DWR office and you can explain to them your intent.

You have from January 1 to July 31 to “watch” your wildlife. If that’s truly the case, you can go pick it up at the nearest DWR office and you can explain to them your intent.
Ok, but then if I tell them and I take it back out and post it back up...are you just gonna keep taking it down?

Ok, but then if I tell them and I take it back out and post it back up...are you just gonna keep taking it down?
IMG_3911.png

Yes.

I went from a poacher to Barney fifes in 5 posts…. You’re definitely not on your A game today. Maybe tomorrow
I'm on my A game. You just don't like hearing it. No comedy involved, your personality is what I try to avoid. Hope you find a pile of trail cameras out there you can turn in. Good luck in your pursuit!

Seems a little righteous, I don’t hate the idea of not having trail cams but this is probably asking for some problems.

Lot of guys on this post that seem to have a problem with the way bux n dux is going about this and I question why? Is that saying you all are worried he's going to be turning your cameras in to the dwr? He's not touching anyone's cams during the season that they can be up. This shouldn't be a problem if you follow the rules, the rules are for EVERYBODY end of story.

Lot of guys on this post that seem to have a problem with the way bux n dux is going about this and I question why? Is that saying you all are worried he's going to be turning your cameras in to the dwr? He's not touching anyone's cams during the season that they can be up. This shouldn't be a problem if you follow the rules, the rules are for EVERYBODY end of story.
I won’t touch any cam during the open season. But starting august 1, it’s a different kind of open season. If guys would rather, i guess I could give them the backcountry tune up to the point where they aren’t in working order anymore? I thought turning them in to the lost and found was the best option?

I know of several guys playing the “I’m just watching wildlife” card. But are passing along the information to those who will benefit from it.

Not this year.

Maybe you need to read the regs too there champ. Call someone who is tougher than you.

IMG_4912.jpeg

I won’t touch any cam during the open season. But starting august 1, it’s a different kind of open season. If guys would rather, i guess I could give them the backcountry tune up to the point where they aren’t in working order anymore? I thought turning them in to the lost and found was the best option?

I know of several guys playing the “I’m just watching wildlife” card. But are passing along the information to those who will benefit from it.

Not this year.
When I see your truck or wheeler "abandoned" off the side of the road I'll "help out" as well....stupid logic you guys have, but not surprised.

When I see your truck or wheeler "abandoned" off the side of the road I'll "help out" as well....stupid logic you guys have, but not surprised.
Is there a law I’m not aware of prohibiting me from parking off the side of a road (when space allows of course) when accessing a hunting area? There is a time limit. If I exceed that, you’re more than welcome to have my truck towed to a place I can go pick it up.

Is the season for cams closed?

Your inability to understand the difference is astounding.

Is there a law I’m not aware of prohibiting me from parking off the side of a road (when space allows of course) when accessing a hunting area? There is a time limit. If I exceed that, you’re more than welcome to have my truck towed to a place I can go pick it up.

Is the season for cams closed?

Your inability to understand the difference is astounding.
Oh dont kid yourself abandoned junk, trash, litter, illegally parked off the road will not be towed. I'll pound my chest and get rid of it in pieces if I have to, or at least make sure it's not in working order by the time I'm done. Good luck out there though.

Oh dont kid yourself abandoned junk, trash, litter, illegally parked off the road will not be towed. I'll pound my chest and get rid of it in pieces if I have to, or at least make sure it's not in working order by the time I'm done. Good luck out there though.
I can’t wait ?

Yep did that last year and was told “we don’t have the resources to enforce every violation…” so I’ll help them out ??
So you’ll be breaking a bigger law trying to enforce an infraction. Smart. ?? I’m pretty sure they don’t want any help from you.

Last edited:
So Question?

Are You Gonna Knock Drones Out Of The Sky As Well Bux?

I Seen A Guy On The Blues a few Years ago Flying His Drone!

Ya!

I Coulda Shot It Down!

But We Got Talking With Him & He Didn't Have Clue He Was Breaking The Law!

And He Was Quick To Say:

Some SOB Shoots My Drone Down There Will Be Hell To Pay!

You Knockin Em Down Or Not Bux?

So Question?

Ya!

I Coulda Shot It Down!

And He Was Quick To Say:

I haven’t encountered many granola crunchers out and about using trails cams over water and bait. In secluded areas. With treestands next to them. Just for the fun of it. If you’re running a trail cam in these remote areas, you’re using it for hunting purposes, one way or another. The season now applies to all cams in the public lands of the the wild. Not just hunters. If they are out during the closure, we all know it’s illegal and you are gambling with many things leaving them out during the time they are not legal.

I also haven’t had the fortune of encountering a drone in the wild. With that possibly entering the classification of shooting down an aircraft, I’d probably have to say no. Unless it’s to the point where I’d consider it intentionally harassing me. Then it might take a dive. Drones can still be used year round by people who don’t intend to locate wildlife with them, in many areas. If I determine it’s being used to locate wildlife, I will certainly do all I can to get the violators caught by law enforcement.

You're not law enforcement. You cannot enforce anything legally. Get a badge, come talk to me then about taking someone's personal property.
You sound like you’re worried about losing cameras…

I’m not enforcing anything. I’m removing abandoned garbage and turning it into the lost and found. I have no desire to keep them as I don’t have a use for them. If you are missing a cam and want it back, go check with the DWR and see if they have it. I’m sure they’d love to chat with you about it.

Yes

Just call me Gomer: “citizens arrest, citizens arrest”
Except it will be cameras that are arrested.

I don't use cameras, nor do I hunt in Utah. But people posting up cameras isn't abandoning garbage, just like you leaving your truck and backpacking into an area for a couple days isn't abandoned. Even if its illegal to leave the cameras up, it's not up to you to take someone else's property down and take it. Whether you turn it in or not you're still taking someone else's property.
You sound like you’re worried about losing cameras…

I’m not enforcing anything. I’m removing abandoned garbage and turning it into the lost and found. I have no desire to keep them as I don’t have a use for them. If you are missing a cam and want it back, go check with the DWR and see if they have it. I’m sure they’d love to chat with you about it.

I'm simply advocating for the old saying " keep your hands off other people's ****". Regardless of if it's breaking the law or not. You have no authority to take someone's property and do anything with it. You can absolutely call it in and ping where it is, but that's bout it.

So?

You'll TUNE Trail-CAMS!

But You Won't TUNE A Drone & Haul It In To The Authorities?

I haven’t encountered many granola crunchers out and about using trails cams over water and bait. In secluded areas. With treestands next to them. Just for the fun of it. If you’re running a trail cam in these remote areas, you’re using it for hunting purposes, one way or another. The season now applies to all cams in the public lands of the the wild. Not just hunters. If they are out during the closure, we all know it’s illegal and you are gambling with many things leaving them out during the time they are not legal.

I also haven’t had the fortune of encountering a drone in the wild. With that possibly entering the classification of shooting down an aircraft, I’d probably have to say no. Unless it’s to the point where I’d consider it intentionally harassing me. Then it might take a dive. Drones can still be used year round by people who don’t intend to locate wildlife with them, in many areas. If I determine it’s being used to locate wildlife, I will certainly do all I can to get the violators caught by law enforcement.

I don't use cameras, nor do I hunt in Utah. But people posting up cameras isn't abandoning garbage, just like you leaving your truck and backpacking into an area for a couple days isn't abandoned. Even if its illegal to leave the cameras up, it's not up to you to take someone else's property down and take it. Whether you turn it in or not you're still taking someone else's property.
Ah. Another irrelevant poster on topics they have no experience with. That’s about par for the course.

You’re probably one of them big deal hunters that hunts private land but tells everyone how easy public land hunting is.

Leaving my truck parked in a legal parking area for a couple days is not illegal. BUT! If I left it longer than the allowed stay period determined by the managing agency, guess what happens. It gets scooped up and I get to go pick it up at the lost and found. 5 months of the year, trails cams on public land is illegal. And given how many I personally encountered last year, there a lot of guys who believe that law doesn’t apply to them. If they want their cameras back, then they can go get them back. I’m not keeping them for myself. I’m not destroying them. There’s no reason for a cam to be on the landscape right now that is owned by a private citizen. None.

Last edited:
So?

You'll TUNE Trail-CAMS!

But You Won't TUNE A Drone & Haul It In To The Authorities?
Killing a trail cam (which I’m not doing, the cams will be in fine working order when I drop them off) is a much different issue than shooting down an aircraft.

I know you’re smart enough to see the difference between the two.

Just Askin!

Killing a trail cam (which I’m not doing, the cams will be in fine working order when I drop them off) is a much different issue than shooting down an aircraft.

I know you’re smart enough to see the difference between the two.

Ah. Another irrelevant poster on topics they have no experience with. That’s about par for the course.

You’re probably one of them big deal hunters that hunts private land but tells everyone how easy public land hunting is.

Leaving my truck parked in a legal parking area for a couple days is not illegal. BUT! If I left it longer than the allowed stay period determined by the managing agency, guess what happens. It gets scooped up and I get to go pick it up at the lost and found. 5 months of the year, trails cams on public land is illegal. And given how many I personally encountered last year, there a lot of guys who believe that law doesn’t apply to them. If they want their cameras back, then they can go get them back. I’m not keeping them for myself. I’m not destroying them. There’s no reason for a cam to be on the landscape right now that is owned by a private citizen. None.
Hunted nothing but public land until this coming year, but good try cupcake. I've hunted otc archery and rifle and been successful because I worked my butt off, and never used trail cameras except once when I wanted to try em. Sold them 4 months after using them once.

You saying what you have has just shown me the level of brain capacity you have. Just because someone isn't you, doesn't mean they don't have experience with the same thing. I've run across hundreds of cameras before. I've also come across traps before too, some that were illegal andddddd guess what I didn't do....touch it. I called it in and reported it, because it's not my property. You seem really level headed so ill give you the benefit of the doubt of being a superhero for basically stealing other people's property and bringing it somewhere else.

Ya!

It's The Tuning When It's Legal!

Remember When I Invented The HIGH COUNTRY TUNE-UP Several Decades Ago?

Alot Of People Hate Me/Hated For Me To Even Mention It!

SPLAIN To Me What the Difference Is Between an ILLEGAL BASTARD BLAZINFG TRAILS IN FLAT ASS CLOSED AREAS & Others Breaking Trail Cam Laws!

Maybe I Should Haul The Wounded Wheeler Back To Law Officials So The Owners Can Pick Them Up?

This Isn't Directed At You Deerlove!

If I had cameras out past the deadline and I got tuned up I'd understand.

I’m sure no one on here will be breaking the law with their trail cams. So it shouldn’t be an issue

Hunted nothing but public land until this coming year, but good try cupcake. I've hunted otc archery and rifle and been successful because I worked my butt off, and never used trail cameras except once when I wanted to try em. Sold them 4 months after using them once.

You saying what you have has just shown me the level of brain capacity you have. Just because someone isn't you, doesn't mean they don't have experience with the same thing. I've run across hundreds of cameras before. I've also come across traps before too, some that were illegal andddddd guess what I didn't do....touch it. I called it in and reported it, because it's not my property. You seem really level headed so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt of being a superhero for basically stealing other people's property and bringing it somewhere else.
It appears cupcake is a more appropriate name for yourself.

I’m not stealing anything. I’m turning in illegal contraband to local law enforcement.

Ya!

It's The Tuning When It's Legal!

Remember When I Invented The HIGH COUNTRY TUNE-UP Several Decades Ago?

Alot Of People Hate Me/Hated For Me To Even Mention It!

SPLAIN To Me What the Difference Is Between an ILLEGAL BASTARD BLAZINFG TRAILS IN FLAT ASS CLOSED AREAS & Others Breaking Trail Cam Laws!

Maybe I Should Haul The Wounded Wheeler Back To Law Officials So The Owners Can Pick Them Up?

This Isn't Directed At You Deerlove!
If you tuned one up while it was legal to have one out, I can’t condone that behavior. If you tuned one up when it was illegal to have one out, I’d shake your hand and offer to buy you a beer or root beer. Whichever you prefer.

Same goes with rogue wheelers and SxS’s. If you find one off the trail because someone didn’t feel like they have to walk like everyone has to, again, another handshake and a beer is in order! But I wouldn’t haul it out for them. You’d be doing them a favor at that point.

It appears cupcake is a more appropriate name for yourself.

I’m not stealing anything. I’m turning in illegal contraband to local law enforcement.
Haha adorable. But still, you've no authority to say whether it's illegal contraband or not, for you have no idea on if its there for a purpose (by the fish and game) or there illegally. But, enjoy stealing other people's stuff wether you turn it in later or not!

So Question?

Ya!

I Coulda Shot It Down!

And He Was Quick To Say:

Please please please come down to Powell to shoot down all the drones.
To fly a drone in GCNRA is 100% illegal.
I can’t believe how many retards fly them down there and then post footage on social media.

Sounds Like A Good Place For The Long Rangers To Start A New Sport!

They Could Pick Em Off With their 2,000-4,000 Yard Shots & The Owners Of The Drone Wouldn't Know Who Shot What!

So?

I Guess The Law Enforcement Isn't Doing anything About It?

Please please please come down to Powell to shoot down all the drones.
To fly a drone in GCNRA is 100% illegal.
I can’t believe how many retards fly them down there and then post footage on social media.

Haha adorable. But still, you've no authority to say whether it's illegal contraband or not, for you have no idea on if its there for a purpose (by the fish and game) or there illegally. But, enjoy stealing other people's stuff wether you turn it in later or not!
DWR, BYU, other legal user groups not bound to this law all mark and identify their equipment and cams very clearly. Anyone who finds one can very easily determine its owner. If it’s on the tree beyond august 1 and not marked, it’s contraband.

DWR, BYU, other legal user groups not bound to this law all mark and identify their equipment and cams very clearly. Anyone who finds one can very easily determine its owner. If it’s on the tree beyond august 1 and not marked, it’s contraband.
Gotcha, well yessir officer. Have fun

Sounds Like A Good Place For The Long Rangers To Start A New Sport!

They Could Pick Em Off With their 2,000-4,000 Yard Shots & The Owners Of The Drone Wouldn't Know Who Shot What!

So?

I Guess The Law Enforcement Isn't Doing anything About It?
Nothing that I know of.
It’s sad, you go down there to escape the world and then some moron flies an illegal drone around and there is nothing you can do because of the FAA bs protecting drones.

Bux, the gray area exploiting, we call it "the Utah way", or being a Utard.

Your chunk of plastic left in the forest is no different than a beer can, candy wrapper, or other litter. If you want it, keep it. If you leave it, especially during closed season, then you don't. We don't want our public lands looking like homeless camps.

Time for some dudes to see the crying Indian commercial.

Hey dumb *Ss it’s not illegal for me to keep a camera up to photograph mountain lions and turkeys. Don’t touch other people’s chit. Your daddy failed and never taught you how to leave other people’s stuff alone. Sorry, forgot you were raised by to mommas. Figures based on your temper tantrum.

Hey dumb *Ss it’s not illegal for me to keep a camera up to photograph mountain lions and turkeys. Don’t touch other people’s chit. Your daddy failed and never taught you how to leave other people’s stuff alone. Sorry, forgot you were raised by to mommas. Figures based on your temper tantrum.
Actually, on public land, all cams are illegal after July 31 unless you meet the criteria. That means ANY trail cams on public land are illegal. Even for mt lion and turkey or any other reason you can come up with. Trail cams on public land after July 31 are ILLEGAL

1691764596226.png

What a weird dilemma this thread is.

We have people that think they should be able to break the law and no one should be able to do anything about it.

And we have one guy who thinks if you break the law he should be able to do something about it.

I wonder how this conversation would have unfolded 50 years ago. At least then everyone would have to do it face to face, and not behind a computer screen.

Curious what the DWR says to you when you bring the trail cams in. What have they told you?

I’m also curious if you folks who are against Bux n Dux taking cameras would be ok with him letting Fish Cops come remove them ?

Hey fugtard, go refresh yourself with current regulations that were recently just passed. Trails cams on public land are illegal.

It’s *TWO* mommas, and they were both lovely ladies, thank you very much!

Curious what the DWR says to you when you bring the trail cams in. What have they told you?
I cut the lock off one last year turned it off. I told on myself when it was reported to an officer (I knew who it belonged to). He didn’t seem to have any issues with what I did.

I reported another one and was told they were surprised i didn’t just tune it up and move on with my day.

Pick up your chit.

I’m honestly shocked at how many guys are fine with cams still being used and that I’m the issue in the whole topic.

Bux, the gray area exploiting, we call it "the Utah way", or being a Utard.

Your chunk of plastic left in the forest is no different than a beer can, candy wrapper, or other litter. If you want it, keep it. If you leave it, especially during closed season, then you don't. We don't want our public lands looking like homeless camps.

Time for some dudes to see the crying Indian commercial.
the one the simpsons did a spin off of?

I cut the lock off one last year turned it off. I told on myself when it was reported to an officer (I knew who it belonged to). He didn’t seem to have any issues with what I did.

I reported another one and was told they were surprised i didn’t just tune it up and move on with my day.

Pick up your chit.

I’m honestly shocked at how many guys are fine with cams still being used and that I’m the issue in the whole topic.
I’m not shocked how many are ok with it. Read any other 10 threads on MM about laws and regulations, or even semi controversial subjects. You’ll see that there are a lot of folks running around that think they are above the law or even common courtesy to others. Hell, go read the threads on outfitters caught poaching for various reasons, and notice how many will actually defend them. It’s a weird world out there.

Same body that makes everything else illegal. I can share the video “How a bill becomes a law” if you’d like.
I am not in support of breaking any law.
The law was passed to help protect deer and elk from being harvested, (good idea or bad idea that is the idea).
The state has authority over the deer and elk of the State of Utah but do they have authority of the property of the National Forest. If the person has a deer permit and has a trail camera on the National Forest after August first the DWR can ticket the user for participating in a illegal activity. The same as if a hunter uses a ATV/SXS to retrieve the animal they harvested that was 200 yards off of a legal ATV trail. But can the DWR ticket a ATV/SXS user for being off of trail that is not participating in a DWR hunting related activity.
How can the DWR ticket someone that has a camera on a tree that is not holding a permit to hunt deer or elk on National Forest land. What authority does the DWR have over a none hunting citizen of Utah.
I get what Bux& Dux is saying, that odds our that camera has been placed there in order to get information for someone that is hunting, but does that give me the right to to be the law enforcement of the possible law being broken.
I have never saw anything that the US Forest Service has giving the DWR authority if you have a camera out past August 1st, I might have missed it.

The law was passed to help protect deer and elk from being harvested, (good idea or bad idea that is the idea).
The state has authority over the deer and elk of the State of Utah but do they have authority of the property of the National Forest. If the person has a deer permit and has a trail camera on the National Forest after August first the DWR can ticket the user for participating in a illegal activity. The same as if a hunter uses a ATV/SXS to retrieve the animal they harvested that was 200 yards off of a legal ATV trail. But can the DWR ticket a ATV/SXS user for being off of trail that is not participating in a DWR hunting related activity.
How can the DWR ticket someone that has a camera on a tree that is not holding a permit to hunt deer or elk on National Forest land. What authority does the DWR have over a none hunting citizen of Utah.
I get what Bux& Dux is saying, that odds our that camera has been placed there in order to get information for someone that is hunting, but does that give me the right to to be the law enforcement of the possible law being broken.
I have never saw anything that the US Forest Service has giving the DWR authority if you have a camera out past August 1st, I might have missed it.
DWR can give you a ticket for speeding on the interstate, jaywalking, littering, etc…. They are a cop!

I’m also curious if you folks who are against Bux n Dux taking cameras would be ok with him letting Fish Cops come remove them ?
Absolutely!! I'm 100% fine with the actual law enforcement coming and getting them. All I'm against is some Joe shmo with 0 authority taking other peopkes property.

Reactions: lif
Hey fugtard, go refresh yourself with current regulations that were recently just passed. Trails cams on public land are illegal.

It’s *TWO* mommas, and they were both lovely ladies, thank you very much!
Illegal or not, you have no authority to remove them. If you were law enforcement or anything I'd say otherwise, but you have no....zero....zip...zilch....negative authority. You're just a dude doing a technically illegal thing to other people's property that is illegally there. Ever hear the saying, two wrongs don't make a right? What you're doing may be "morally" right, but it's still technically illegal to take other people's property and move it regardless of laws In place. And you cannot even try and play the "Grey area" card by saying "they are abandoned" because you have no authority to claim them as abandoned.

I'm not for people having cameras up. If there's a law then they are breaking that law and should be handled appropriately by law enforcement. All I'm simply going for is, you are nobody, who has no authority to take down other people's property whether if its there illegally or not.

Absolutely!! I'm 100% fine with the actual law enforcement coming and getting them. All I'm against is some Joe shmo with 0 authority taking other peopkes property.
What would you do if you found illegal cameras posted in your yearly hunting area? Your home turf that you’ve been hunting for 20+ years.

Like I've Said A Few Times!

Just A Matter Of Time At The Tree!

Bux Is Gonna Be In The Process Of Removing Trail Cam & Joe Blow Owner Will Be Setting Back A Waiting!

Last edited:
DWR can give you a ticket for speeding on the interstate, jaywalking, littering, etc…. They are a cop!
You are breaking a law that the state of Utah has been giving authority over by the feds.

County sheriffs give tickets on FS
They give tickets that they have been giving authority by the feds.
I am asking if anyone has any evidence that the US Forest Service has given the DWR authority to give a ticket for someone who is not participating in a hunting activity.
But no matter what a law that says you can not have a trail camera on public land between August 1st and December 31st does not give the general public the right to take other people's possessions. What do you think would happen if you came upon a ATV that was parked on a trail that was completely illegal for ATV to be on and you decided to take that ATV off of the mountain and deliver it to the sheriff's office.
You might be charged with theft.
Private property is private property, not the same as a sod pop can left on the road side.
I am not arguing the right or wrong of the law but there needs to be clarification of what the individual is doing wrong and who has authority of enforcing the law. I personally do not like laws that are left for interpretation.
I personally do not like seeing people that are 75 years old and walk with a cane get killed by the FBI because supposedly the FBI is on the right side of the law.

Pick up your chit.

Easy there Cub Cadette… I promise you they weren’t “ok” with you cutting the lock and the higher ups wouldn’t be ok with you giving a “tune up”. I’d be glad to square off with you in court over that. You really need to know the law on “abandoned property” in Utah really is and what the definitions and differences are. You’re no better than “that” guy by breaking the law yourself. I’d venture to guess you’ve never sped? Crossed the lines while driving? Failed to signal? All examples of breaking the law, right? No matter how big or small it might be. So go ahead, keep being the social justice warrior you are and get those cams! You’re doing the world a favor! ??

You are breaking a law that the state of Utah has been giving authority over by the feds.

They give tickets that they have been giving authority by the feds.
I am asking if anyone has any evidence that the US Forest Service has given the DWR authority to give a ticket for someone who is not participating in a hunting activity.
But no matter what a law that says you can not have a trail camera on public land between August 1st and December 31st does not give the general public the right to take other people's possessions. What do you think would happen if you came upon a ATV that was parked on a trail that was completely illegal for ATV to be on and you decided to take that ATV off of the mountain and deliver it to the sheriff's office.
You might be charged with theft.
Private property is private property, not the same as a sod pop can left on the road side.
I am not arguing the right or wrong of the law but there needs to be clarification of what the individual is doing wrong and who has authority of enforcing the law. I personally do not like laws that are left for interpretation.
I personally do not like seeing people that are 75 years old and walk with a cane get killed by the FBI because supposedly the FBI is on the right side of the law.
It’s interesting the ATV/truck comparison is the go to defense on this kind of thing.

There’s several major differences between a registered, taxed multi-thousand dollar vehicle and a $80 Walmart tree camera. The attempt at making the violations committed between the two similar in nature, is drastic. I assume any rational person would be able to see those differences. But we are in utah, and it is utards we are talking about. So the possibility is there that people can’t see the difference.

1 other thing to note, rarely do you find an illegally used atv parked in the same spot for 14 days, satisfying the abandoned definition requirements. However, when I encounter the illegal cams next week, they will be at least 19 days over due from being picked up and in violation of the law for at least that long.

We as hunters promote (or at least should) picking up any and all trash in the mountains that we come across. Some of which can still have monetary value to it. It’s weird that we draw the line at a certain item and have decided to over look that abandoned garbage, but still want the other trash picked up and carried out.

Easy there Cub Cadette… I promise you they weren’t “ok” with you cutting the lock and the higher ups wouldn’t be ok with you giving a “tune up”. I’d be glad to square off with you in court over that. You really need to know the law on “abandoned property” in Utah really is and what the definitions and differences are. You’re no better than “that” guy by breaking the law yourself. I’d venture to guess you’ve never sped? Crossed the lines while driving? Failed to signal? All examples of breaking the law, right? No matter how big or small it might be. So go ahead, keep being the social justice warrior you are and get those cams! You’re doing the world a favor! ??
I can’t even begin to care about the opinions of the “higher ups” when they have openly expressed that the opinions of the peasant utards don’t mean anything to them when coming up with laws and their enforcement policies.

I can’t even begin to care about the opinions of the “higher ups” when they have openly expressed that the opinions of the peasant utards don’t mean anything to them when coming up with laws and their enforcement policies.
Hmmmm… That’s funny you say that. Then why are you seeking out someone “higher up” than you for affirmation that it’s ok to do what you say you’re going to do? Kinda hypocritical. Man I’d love to meet these CO’s who are telling you this because I promise you they won’t have a job much longer.

Hmmmm… That’s funny you say that. Then why are you seeking out someone “higher up” than you for affirmation that it’s ok to do what you say you’re going to do? Kinda hypocritical. Man I’d love to meet these CO’s who are telling you this because I promise you they won’t have a job much longer.
I’m not seeking anything from any higher ups. Zero affirmation. I’m not sure where you getting that from. I’m simply picking up abandoned trash I find while hunting, that is illegal, and turning it in. If the owners want it back, they can go explain to the DWR why it was still on the mountain when it shouldn’t have been.

They will have a job because their superiors have instructed them to only pursue the ones worth pursuing. Most reports will be ignored.

I’m not seeking anything from any higher ups. Zero affirmation. I’m not sure where you getting that from. I’m simply picking up abandoned trash I find while hunting, that is illegal, and turning it in. If the owners want it back, they can go explain to the DWR why it was still on the mountain when it shouldn’t have been.

They will have a job because their superiors have instructed them to only pursue the ones worth pursuing. Most reports will be ignored.
Not seeking affirmation? Go read your posts about how you’ve talked to this CO and that CO about it. If you weren’t seeking their affirmation you’d of kept your mouth shut.

Again, I strongly encourage you to go read up on the laws of what exactly abandoned property is in Utah, and how it’s treated. Law also requires that you go to your camp trailer or camp at least every 24 hours to check on it while parked on public land. Stay limit is 14 days in most places. How often is that enforced? How about you fire up the ol pick up and start towing trailers, cars and tents off the mountain and turning those into the FS? Same thing in the eyes of the law. Your threats of cutting locks to remove someone else’s property are l hold zero merit when you use it in the context of you “helping” enforce the law.

Not seeking affirmation? Go read your posts about how you’ve talked to this CO and that CO about it. If you weren’t seeking their affirmation you’d of kept your mouth shut.

Again, I strongly encourage you to go read up on the laws of what exactly abandoned property is in Utah, and how it’s treated. Law also requires that you go to your camp trailer or camp at least every 24 hours to check on it while parked on public land. Stay limit is 14 days in most places. How often is that enforced? How about you fire up the ol pick up and start towing trailers, cars and tents off the mountain and turning those into the FS? Same thing in the eyes of the law. Your threats of cutting locks to remove someone else’s property are l hold zero merit when you use it in the context of you “helping” enforce the law.
I was turning in violators. Not looking for a pat on the back. The response I got was disappointing to say the least. As I got further into the fall, I realized it wasn’t just 1 or 2 guys who were breaking the law in one area. It was all over the place.

Again, comparing a camp trailer to a trail cam is comical. I’m aware of the abandoned laws. I have reported over staying trailers to the FS. They don’t care. But I’m not going to hook up to an insured, licensed and registered, 40k trailer and drag it off the mountain. A $80 cam that is in direct violation of a hunting law? I’m will absolutely pick up that trash.

Surprising how in favor of violating this particular law you are. You must have some cams out that you are hoping go “un-found”. I’m hoping more people are in favor of cleaning up our forest. If we don’t police our own, it likely won’t happen.

Hope you have a great and successful fall and all your cams stay where you left them!

Geezus lord and gawd you are an absolute peach. Go refresh it for yourself ya f u c k t a r d. It is not illegal to take pictures. Your mommy know you’re on the internet again?
I don’t care one way or another about the cams as I am NR and don’t hunt Utah that often, but if the regs published above are true, you are the one that has it wrong. Pretty plain to see.

Notdon, here are my thoughts-

State laws are enforced every day on forest service lands by local, county, and state law enforcement. It happens in every state in the union, not just Utah. State law applies to all those areas. Just because the feds “own” the land does not mean the state law is void there anymore than me committing crimes on property I own. That’s why if you murder someone in the Dixie National Forest you will be prosecuted by the county attorney in that county and charged with violating the state statute on homicide, not the feds. National parks are a little different, but not 100% either/or.

DWR law enforcement officers are just that: law enforcement officers. When a law enforcement officer is sworn in they have statewide jurisdiction. That’s why a Provo PD officer can pull you over and issue you a ticket in Orem if they chose to. DWR law enforcement are no less law enforcement that any other sworn officer in this state. They all have the exact same certifications and enforcement powers.

So…yes, the state legislature can pass a law that says trail cameras are not allowed on public lands after July 31. The Wildlife Board could NOT pass that same law. Their power is restricted to hunting activities and why they passed the rule they did, with the legislature coming in and giving a much more broad restriction. And yes, the DWR law enforcement, local PD officer, deputy county sheriff, or any other sworn officer could enforce that trail cam ban if they chose to.

For everyone else, follow the law or don’t complain about what the results are. I don’t love the speed limit sometimes, but if I ignore it, I don’t get to complain I got a ticket. That’s just plain stupid and whiny entitled behavior. Don’t leave cams up after the legal date and then complain they were broken, taken, or you were ticketed. Follow the law. It’s simple.

So… rules don’t apply to you. You decide to leave your camera out after the date and are now in violation of the law. It’s mid archery season and you swing by to see if that buck you’ve been chasing is still in the area and you discover that it’s GONE! *gasp*…

What are you gonna do? Call the cops and rat yourself out? Hahaha it’s not a hard law to follow. And them not being on the landscape benefits EVERYONE including the wildlife we supposedly love so much (I really question that with some of you). I don’t get why people are so defensive about this particular violation, but have speed dial to the UTIP hotline all ready to use on anything else they come across.

This has been a fun thread and a real eye opener. I posted it in hopes of trolling one of you into taking the bait. The PMs and replies on here are shocking. It’s really too bad.

Good luck this fall, everyone. If you’re one of the many who feel like this law doesn’t apply to you, hopefully your cams stay where you left them! ?

I think this is slightly more complicated if you actually read the law and regs than most here realize.

State code:

Utah code 23A-5-307(1) says “As used in this section, "trail camera" means a device that is not held or manually operated by a person and is capable of capturing images, video, or location data of wildlife using heat or motion to trigger the device.”

So a camera that does not use heat or motion to trigger it (ie a time lapse camera) would not be a “trail camera” under this state law definition.
23A-5-307(b) “A trail camera may not be used to take wildlife on public land during the period beginning on July 31 and ending on December 31.”

So any camera not being used to take wildlife would not violate this state law.

Big Game/bear/cougar Rules:

R657-5-2(2)y “Trail camera" means a device that is not held or manually operated by a person and is used to capture images, video, or location data of wildlife using heat, or motion to trigger the device.
23-13-2 (48) "Take" means to: (a) hunt, pursue, harass, catch, capture, possess, angle, seine, trap, or kill any protected wildlife; or (b) attempt any action referred to in Subsection (48)(a).

R657-5-7(3)(b)(i) “A person shall not place, maintain, or use any trail camera or non-handheld device capable of capturing image, video, location, time, or date data in the field to take, attempt to take, or aid in the take or attempted take of big game between July 31 and December 31;”

So the rules prohibit any non-handheld device (including time lapse cameras) for the attempted take/take/aid take of big game during the closed period on public land without an exemption.

R657-33-9(5)(a) mirrors the big game rule and apples to bears.

R657-10-9(6)(a) mirrors the big game rule and applies to cougars.

Cameras not being used to take/attempt take/aid take of big game, bears or cougars would not violate these rules.

So looks to me like not all cameras on public land during the closed period are illegal.

That was another of my points. But, as shown above.....Box is above everyone else and knows when a cam is there legally or not....but because its there after july 31st....he knows they are all illegal....and so he's gonna cut someone's personal lock....break it, and take the camera and such and bring it in....so now someone's innocent lock has been damaged by him in the process of him stealing someone's private property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom