Falcon (Kestrel) Nest Box Help!!!!

tallbuck1

This email was sent by the Utah Falconers Association...If you would like to help let me know and I will put you in contact with the right people to make this happen.

Thanks

Tallbuck1

As a club, we will be heading further into conservation to help protect our sport and raptors we all love and enjoy. It's with excitement to announce the beginning of something bigger as we progress into the future.

We have seen a trend in the decline of kestrels and an over population of other raptors. This may have other driving forces for the decline, but as a club, we need to do our part to ensure we stabilize a healthy kestrel population. We need to be proactive in protecting this little bird before it is recognized as ?in trouble? by biologist and other supporting groups. We need your help! We need many volunteers to help build, install and maintain artificial nest boxes. Please spread the word to as many Scout Troops as possible. This would be a GREAT eagle project for any scout looking for a project. As a club, we would provide the material to build XX number of nest boxes to each scout for his Eagle Project. Once the nest boxes have been built, we will be working with Wildlife resources, falconers and other groups for installation. Please pass the word along to your local scout troop!

Building isn't limited to Scout troops, if you, your school or any other organization would like to volunteer we would be more than grateful for your consideration.

We are focusing on the kestrel boxes at this time, but other nest we are currently looking into are the nesting plat forms for Ferruginous. If you would like to assist with the legalities of installing Ferruginous platforms, we need your help in the following: NEPA, BLM, Forest Service and much more.

In summary, ask your local scout troop if they know anyone who may need an eagle project. The club will donate the materials needed for XX nest boxes. We need your assistance for building, installing and maintaining nest boxes. Overall as a club, we will be assisting young men earn an Eagles Scout Award, provide better nesting habitat for raptors alike, and promote conservation as a group and to the community.

Thank you everyone and happy hawking!

Utah Falconers Association

It doesn't really bother me that they are on the decline. Those birds are a major reason for loss of chukars and quail in my area. I can't see why we would want more of them.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-12 AT 04:24PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-12 AT 04:23?PM (MST)

They do hunt mice and voles, however they also kill quail and chukars. I've witnessed it on many occasions, and for that matter there is one playing hell with my pigeons as we speak! I'm pretty sure most of the guys that hunt with them aren't out there hunting for mice and voles.

I have done my part to increase the numbers of raptors in Utah. We have over 200 wood duck nesting boxes in Northern Utah. Every year we have several boxes get used by kestrels and owls.

Tallbuck1,
I know of a young man that would be interested in doing this for his eagle project.
Please put me in contact with the right people.

Thanks.....................Skippy

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom