Fillmore Oak Creek - Deer

400bull

Very Active Member
I just chipped in my 11 LE deer points on the Fillmore Oak Creek Unit. I have been waiting for the Pauns tag but decided I would give the Fillmore unit a try as it is closer to home making it easier to scout during the summer. Does anyone have pictures of bucks they or a friend took off this unit in 2010 or 2011 that they would send to me. Just trying to get a feel for what caliber of bucks are being taken of the unit lately.

Thanks

400bull

Bad choice no bucks down there. No that was a joke, their is some great bucks on the oak creek. Do a lot of scouting over the summer. Did you put in for rifle or muzzleloader?

Watch your top knot

I put in for the rifle. I have been on the unit a couple times during the winter and helping a buddy on a turkey hunt. With the country being so rugged I did not think that it would be a muzzle loader unit that I wanted to burn 11 points on. I am not s shoe in with 11 points with the rifle tag but I should be able to draw the tag with in the next 2-3 years.

400bull.

Skull,

I agree completely. It's tough putting in for a unit that I don't know that well. Having said that I have been putting in for the Pauns over the past 3-4 year prior to that I was putting in for the Book Cliffs which is the unit I know best but I don't feel the quality of bucks is good enough to burn 11 point on. As for the Pauns I set me feet on the unit for the first time this past summer during a scouting trip. Lets just say that was not one of my best of experiences. Nothing to do with the deer we seen just a bad all the way around trip (flat tires, rolled ATV, Broken collar bone.... you get the idea). Any ways I decide to put in for the Oak Creek Unit simply because it is closer to home so if I do draw I will have better access to scout it out.

400bull

The Oak Creeks are a cool place, but after helping a buddy down there last year I'd say it's a tough hunt and not the kind of quality for the most part that's worth burning 11 points.

Here's one of the decent bucks we saw on the archery hunt.

http://youtu.be/e1EwLUw7CkA?hd=1

I'd love to hunt it on 1 - 4 points I could eventually aquired before I get back into the elk lottery, but there's no way I'd burn 11 years of waiting on it.

Cheers,
Pete

C3,

I've already applied for my hunts for the year so it does not really matter to me, but what unit would you consider worthy of 11 points?

Book Cliffs - I think not!
San Juan - There is a possibility here but I have never been on the unit and pre-season scouting is next to impossible do to the distance.
Vernon - From what I have heard this unit is not much better then the books.
Delores Triangle - Most people I talk to about this unit say the quality is there if the weather cooperates. not worth the gamble.
Pauns - Here is another possible unit but preseason scout is not possible because of distance.
Henry Mountain - That's a not brainier. Quality there but the odds. Well I have another 10-15 years before I could draw that unit.
Diamond Mountain - Could be a good hunt if you have private property to hunt.

Does not seem like there is a lot of other choices to chose from.

400bull

Dont rule out the cwmu units, there are some great cwmu's you could draw with 11 points.

Bucks over 180 are few and far between. I shed hunt the OC and in all the winter range I watch I've yet to see a buck I'd burn 11 points on. If you do find a big buck it will most likely be a 3x4 or 2x4 or something goofy like that. In my opinion oak creeks are some paperwork away from being a general unit.

+1^ I would withdraw that app. I would much rather have a book cliffs tag. I know 3 people that had a rifle tag there this year. one women and two elderly men. all 3 tagged out, one buck was 181, one was 187, and one broke 190. not saying your gonna shoot one like that. some luck there. but you will work hard for a buck on oc that would be average on the book cliffs.

just my 2 cents

I think the muzzy hunt is the best hunt on the OC. Most of the big bucks get killed on the Muzzleloader. Just sayin

Watch your top knot

400bull, if you draw. I'd be more than willing to go out scouting anytime. I'm sure there's a few great bucks to be had.
Just send me a PM.

There's always next year

THERE IS NO BIG BUCKS ON THE OAK CREEK!!! Unless you get off your ATV and put on some serious miles on foot and glass, glass, glass. Hunted it 3 years ago after my Fatherinlaw drew the tag. Spent endless hours on foot to find only a handful of respectful Bucks, that was enough for the tag holder to decide to keep the tag. He harvested a 201" buck with lots of character. One of the most grueling and physical hunts I have ever been on, but a blast. And to think my fatherinlaw almost turned his tag in. But! I know SEVERAL people that are totally disgusted with the unit that hunted hard? and after the hunt a couple said they would've rather hunted a General unit they have always hunted in the past. So, big decision when puting in for the unit. I will post a pic of the buck when I get to my computer, not phone.
And yes, I put in this year with ten points.

Oh well, long story short. Helped fatherinlaw 3 years ago...he harvested a 201" and change after lots of cussing and complaining that he had made a mistake by puting in for the unit...lots of hard miles but it was worth it.
I do know quit a few people that will never set foot on the oaks again. Man, I sure hope they don't. I put in this year for muzzy with ten points

My observations of the Oak Creek.

Low deer densities, but good buck to doe ratios. Not a road hunting unit.Good genetics but not great genetics like the paunsagunt. You better be in good shape, and know how to glass. If you have to see tons of deer every day, this is not your unit.Seems like there is always 2-3 BIG bucks taken out of the unit every year. Low tag numbers for the size of the unit, which translates into fewer hunters afield. Many places in the unit that look like they should hold deer, are completely void of deer. I wouldn't apply for this unit unless you know it, or have a lot of time to scout it.

I agree with Cabin fever. I grew up in Oak city, trust me great bucks to be had, but you gotta work for it. If anyone draws out and wants to go do some scouting this summer im more than willing to help ya out.

Watch your top knot

you really need to read up on things travis!

Take another look you cant use le points for general smart guy.

hornkiller.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-12 AT 01:21AM (MST)[p]Hornkiller,
You are a dumb*ss....I know you can't use LE points on a general unit. The OP obviously doens't know what he is talking about so I think he needs to read up on things.

I know you must have nothing else to do, but leave the house/computer/MM once in a while and learn social skills and how to identify sarcasm.... DA

Well I burned 10 limited entry points on Fillmore Oak Creek (21c) which is a limited entry unit, I'm sure he did the same.

"The OP obviously doens't know what he is talking about so I think he needs to read up on things"

travis again you idiot go back and read the OP.
Where the hell does he not know what he is talking about?

Sorry i didnt know you was trying to be a jacka$$!

Next time just say you are.

hornkiller.jpg

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-12
>AT 01:21?AM (MST)

>
>Hornkiller,
>You are a dumb*ss....I know you
>can't use LE points on
>a general unit. The OP
>obviously doens't know what he
>is talking about so I
>think he needs to read
>up on things.
>
>I know you must have nothing
>else to do, but leave
>the house/computer/MM once in a
>while and learn social skills
>and how to identify sarcasm....
>DA

WHO NEEDs TO READ UP ON THINGS OR DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT??????? I know enough to know that the Fillmore Pahvant and Fillmore - OAK CREEK are two different units and that the Fillmore - OAK CREEK (Unit 21c) is a limited entry deer unit. So before you go showing use how intelligent you really are maybe you had better double check your resources and get your facts straight.

Thanks to everyone else. I know that this hunt is going to be a very challenging hunt both physically and mentally. I knew that prior to applying for the hunt. With the unit being with in a 45 minutes drive of home I felt that I would be able to scout it out better then if I applied for any of the other units I was thinking about.

400bull

Is anyone willing to give me your thoughts on the 21A - Fillmore, Oak Creek unit? Specifically for Muzz. Appreciate any insight you may have. Thanks, TS

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom