First elk hunt/shot my first elk! unit 51

iccyman001

I could not be more happy! Opening day and I was able to take down my first elk ever! It was such an experience and I hope I am lucky enough to draw again next year!

It was unit 51.

I really like that place a lot now that I was steered in the right direction!
It will definitely go on my application list again next year.

Elk were already bugling a lot, so I was VERY happy.

Way to go! The best eating elk I ever took was a spike, and any legal taken elk with a bow is a trophy! Congrats!

>Very good.
>
>Congrats! How about a story?

I got into Carson National forest late Sunday afternoon.
I had scouted a different part of this unit over the summer, but after a bad incident with some locals out there, I was a little off put. Luckily someone from this site, who I owe so much to for helping, sent me to a different part of the unit. He didn't give me his spots, he just guided me to an area with less trouble makers.

Anyways, I get in Sunday, set up, and did a little scouting.
I found an ok spot with ok sign, but I had two weeks, so I wasn't worried. That night while I was laying in bed, tons of elk started bugling right near my camp. So I figured "I am just going to walk out of my trailer and go into the woods across the street."

Right over a tiny hill I found a really nice mud pit, with water still in it. I liked that from the get go because it had been hot and dry for awhile. In the same area I found a massive scrape and TONS of trees that were destroyed.

I decided that I would start there. I grabbed my climber, picked a good spot that overlooked the mud pit and the scrape, and waited. Around 5pm I heard the bulls out and about as they started bugling. I sent out a few soft cow calls and this guy came running in on a string. I had him broadside at 20 yards. Arrow took out his heart and the rest was history!

I had such an amazing time and experience. I am addicted to it now and my only complaint is that I couldn't spend more time in the woods :D

I hope to draw there again next year. It's a beautiful unit.

Very nice, That is the best eating bull right there.
You have found a pretty good area so hopefully you will draw another tag next year and put the new knowledge to work.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>Good job on your elk man.
>So how did your antelope
>hunt turn out?

That did not turn out so well....
I am very frustrated with myself for not getting one, but this definitely made up for it.

iccyman way to get it done!I envy you for sure ,haven't had a bow tag since 2008....I agree 51 is an awesome unit full of elk ...Got a big ol cow there last Nov and headed back with a land owner tag and happy to have it , but your bow tag gives new meaning to elk fun!Ive bow hunted 52 a few times and had a blast but never 51, looking forward to that day...
Thanks for sharing it man, hope you get some helpful info for 40...Id call the G&F and ask for the game warden over there , he or she can help some Im sure...

Way to go and congratulations! Looking proud with your bull as you should!

Sneekey

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom