Frank Church

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
My next destination - my cousin did this trek. 3,000' gain in first two miles. Shoot, hard but not any harder than my main hike I do almost every summer. Beautiful !
FB_IMG_1688264315748.jpg
FB_IMG_1688264279863.jpg

So It Looks Way Cleaner Than The Lower Snake?

What kind of Fish Do They Catch Up There In The Cleaner Water?

I fought fire along the river in 1988 or 89--I don't remember which. Beautiful place with lots of sheep on the slopes and a few moose in the wet meadows above. Every afternoon the wind would pick up and the fire would spot over our lines, so we took a lot of Blackhawk rides in and out of the canyon with the National Guard. One chopper (civilian) went down without injury to the crew. I remember noticing an unusual color to the exhaust a day or two before on that same aircraft and wondered if I should say anything--but figured the crew knew a lot more than I did about it, and so never spoke up. Nearly got the punishment I deserved early one damp morning when I couldn't sleep and climbed out of my paper bag and hiked up the ridge to a vantage point that allowed me to watch an approaching thunderstorm. It was pretty wild, and I told myself I would head down as soon as the first strike hit the opposite side of the canyon. That first strike coincided exactly with the tingling sensation of static electricity on the hairs along the back of my neck, and before I could react, lightning struck a fir tree perhaps fifty feet behind me and sent a 200 pound strip of wood pinwheeling over my head and down into the canyon. I nearly beat it to the bottom. The best moment on that fire was the day spent on a sand bar on the river wondering where the OH would send us next. I heard a soft exclamation and turned to see my buddy disappear among the rocks at the rivers edge. When I went to investigate, there he was, pulling the top off a second can of Budweiser that had been floating in an eddy long enough to have lost most of the paint. And there were others! By the time it was over, we and one or two other Hotshots had consumed the best six pack I ever drank in my life. It turned out that it had been given by rafters to one of the pretty girls in fire camp, and she had stashed it in the water to stay cool.

Long story; couldn't be made short. But the upshot is, if I ever go back to the Frank Church, it will be in a raft full of beer, with a pretty girl (and by that, I mean "wife"!)

LOL bullskin!

I've Had A Few Close Calls With Lightning as Well!

It Ain't Nothin To Be Screwin With!

So?

You Guys Were Drinkin On The Job?:D:D:D

The Snake below Hells canyon dam has steelhead, rainbow trout, bull trout, King Salmon, cutbows, cutthroat, sturgeon, channel catfish, flathead catfish, and smallmouth every cast in the summer. Most lakes in the 7 devils have rainbows, and west slope cutthroat.

Thanks Moe!

King Salmon Huh?

The Snake below Hells canyon dam has steelhead, rainbow trout, bull trout, King Salmon, cutbows, cutthroat, sturgeon, channel catfish, flathead catfish, and smallmouth every cast in the summer. Most lakes in the 7 devils have rainbows, and west slope cutthroat.

The smallmouth fishing below Hells Canyon Dam on the Snake will absolutely spoil you. 6lb test and small poppers is the most fun in the summer. Those fish get almost no pressure as you have to float it or jetboat up some dangerous rapids. It is a blast and beautiful a spot the country has.

I’m confused? Threads titled frank church but pics are from the seven devils looking into hells canyon? Those are very different places

The same fish. Chinooks=King. Coho=Silver. Sockeye=Red. Chum=Dog. Pink=Humpback.
Some young guys from CA started calling sockeyes “socks”. Thought it was more appropriate. Up here chums are called chums and depending on where you’re at and who you’re talking to calling them dogs could be offensive. Pinks are humpies.

Rest are right ?

Some young guys from CA started calling sockeyes “socks”. Thought it was more appropriate. Up here chums are called chums and depending on where you’re at and who you’re talking to calling them dogs could be offensive. Pinks are humpies.

Rest are right ?
pink=humpback=humpies. The rest you got right. :ROFLMAO:

It might seem like overkill but if a nonresident ever applies for a fishing license in Alaska these are some of the questions on the test.

Sawtooth- my August trip unless the wife bows out. If She does there is closer hikes. The top pi s aren't Frank Church. I thought my cousin said it is.
1469586502884.jpeg
Saw19-061-El-Capitan-above-tarn-below-Alice-Lake-Sawtooth-Mountains-Idaho.jpg
1469588017807.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom