Friday Night Special - Lost Roast has been Found

Blank

Long Time Member
The little lost roast that we found in the back of the freezer has been seasoned up, and resting for 3 days. Now for a good hot sear and long soak at low temperature. It's a MIL dinner tonight, since they won't go out to restaurants, and just to make her smile.
smile.gif

8923AC94-F237-4BCB-83E8-36542D49DB01_1_201_a.jpeg

I laughed when I saw this Blank. I remembered we have one in the top shelf in the back. Telling the wife and her knees almost buckled. I guess Prime Rib is more enticing than DM , ?

When you guys were cooking these prime rib roasts at Christmas time my Sam's Club had them. I was thinking about doing one and never got around to it. When I looked this week they didn't have any. Is this a seasonal thing or were they just out. They did have brisket

Pretty seasonal, by the Holiday. Thanksgiving for turkey, and X-Mas for prime rib, Ham seems to dominate at Easter time. As we get into Spring and Summer, our local Sam's, Costco, and Winco start having great sales on fish of all sorts.

Thanks Blank. But I will keep lookin for the roast. There is one small butcher shop and a small IGA grocery store that will take meat orders near me. But they will be expensive.

You can get ham around here year round, Southerners like their pork. Turkeys are Thanksgiving and Christmas but you could probably find one if you wanted it. Truly fresh seafood is rare here.

When I go to the coast I always try to bring back some fresh shrimp and cook it within a couple days. Last time I didn't have time to cook it and had to freeze it. It was still great, nothing like the grocery store frozen shrimp. I have also caught Mahi/Dorado off shore and brought that home and froze it. I think it was the best fish I've ever eaten.

One thing that I do in big stores like Sam's or Costco is check the difference in price between whole and cut meats. A whole prime grade top sirloin may only be $6-7/lb. or prime brisket less than that. If I can make 2-3-4 quality meals, then I'm money ahead. Also, take a look at dates on the meats. If they get down to a day or two left before the sale by date, a lot of times they will go ahead and mark it down for you, if you just ask. I always look for a manager, and not just the flunky behind the counter

When you guys were cooking these prime rib roasts at Christmas time my Sam's Club had them. I was thinking about doing one and never got around to it. When I looked this week they didn't have any. Is this a seasonal thing or were they just out. They did have brisket
No problem finding them around here even now, but the prices aren't too good. The sales, as with the ones I bought at Xmas, tend to be timed to the holidays. That's why it's a good idea to stock up for down the road.

Next month, it'll be time for us to stock up on corned beef, which is normally on sale for St. Pat's Day. That way we have lots of Reubens over the next few months.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom