Geothermal Heat Pump

grizzly

Long Time Member
Does anybody have experience with geothermal heat pumps for homes? We're considering building a new home and have been looking at geothermal for HVAC but are having a hard time figuring out if people like it, if it's cost efficient (the new house would be geothermal or propane) and what to expect in upfront costs.

Thanks for your help.

If We Could Drill a Well & Tap In To Warm Water!

And If We Could Drill A Well & Tap In To Cool Water On The Same Property Things Would Be Way Easier & Better!:D

My brothers house and shops run on geothermal and a propane boiler for radiant heated floors and hot water! Very efficient his average monthly bill is only $35-50! I know it’s expensive to get started is all I know but what isn’t these days!

I've wired several high end homes that used geothermal. Verry cost effective and reliable. Some drilled and ran lines vertically and some dug massive holes and layered zones horizontally. Think the majority would maintain ~64° without any other means of heating or cooling. If I had the option to build I'd go geothermal without hesitation.

I've wired several high end homes that used geothermal. Verry cost effective and reliable. Some drilled and ran lines vertically and some dug massive holes and layered zones horizontally. Think the majority would maintain ~64° without any other means of heating or cooling. If I had the option to build I'd go geothermal without hesitation.
Do you have any recommendations on geothermal installers? I can't find many guys that know much about it.

Grizz, I have been in the HVAC industry for my entire life, mostly large commercial. Geothermal is extremly efficient and comfortable. The front end cost has made dissapear from everything except government projects. I would check drilling cost and permits for the wells. The install isn't much different from traditional and depending where you live ther may be rebates available. It is a long term payback.

I second what Cowboy says. 15-20 years ago geothermal was all the rage in the north bay area. I installed it on several new high schools, wineries, huge custom homes and large government facilities.
Due to the new push for everything to be electric, geo is now obsolete being replaced by VRF (Variable Refrigerant Flow) heat pumps and split systems. I haven't bid a new boiler/tower/heat pump job or geothermal project in years.
The newest system which seems to be the wave of the future here in Commiefornia is the Heat Pump water heater/HVAC system. This system incorporates the HVAC equipment into the domestic plumbing system to utilize the heat or cooling created during the refrigeration change of state to accomplish both HVAC heating/cooling/radiant and the heating of domestic hot water with the same equipment.
This of course of an all electric system, so if you are off grid or plan to use natural gas or propane like the good ol' days it probably isn't a great option. It also lacks redundency, so if one of the major components goes down, everything goes down. But, if your circ pump craps out on your geo loop, guess what, so does your entire system.
Lots of options out there to consider. Where do you live?

I second what Cowboy says. 15-20 years ago geothermal was all the rage in the north bay area. I installed it on several new high schools, wineries, huge custom homes and large government facilities.
Due to the new push for everything to be electric, geo is now obsolete being replaced by VRF (Variable Refrigerant Flow) heat pumps and split systems. I haven't bid a new boiler/tower/heat pump job or geothermal project in years.
The newest system which seems to be the wave of the future here in Commiefornia is the Heat Pump water heater/HVAC system. This system incorporates the HVAC equipment into the domestic plumbing system to utilize the heat or cooling created during the refrigeration change of state to accomplish both HVAC heating/cooling/radiant and the heating of domestic hot water with the same equipment.
This of course of an all electric system, so if you are off grid or plan to use natural gas or propane like the good ol' days it probably isn't a great option. It also lacks redundency, so if one of the major components goes down, everything goes down. But, if your circ pump craps out on your geo loop, guess what, so does your entire system.
Lots of options out there to consider. Where do you live?
I'm in Northern Utah, so we're a little cold for a traditional air-source heat pump system. Also, I've got three acres, so plenty of land to do a horizontal closed loop system. I'm on shore power that is relatively cheap at $0.09/kwh so the increased electric usage appears to be preferable over a propane forced air system by the numbers I've been running.

I've mainly got good feedback from people with GSHP in cold climates, I just need to figure out costs and find an installer in the Northern Utah area, or one that will travel here for a job.

Sounds like you are asking the right questions and are headed the right direction. Best of luck in your build and try to enjoy the process. I have been a part of building hundreds of things for other people over the last 25 years, hopefully one day soon I will gat to build what I want for myself!

One thing I would look at is not just the initial cost but how long before you have to replace a lot of the components. I built 6 years ago and decided against it. I had talked to a contractor that decided to do it and he said he wouldn’t do it again.High upfront costs and by the time he recouped those cost (10 to 12 years)
a lot of it needed to be replaced.

Does anybody have experience with geothermal heat pumps for homes? We're considering building a new home and have been looking at geothermal for HVAC but are having a hard time figuring out if people like it, if it's cost efficient (the new house would be geothermal or propane) and what to expect in upfront costs.

Thanks for your help.
I have two water furnace pumps with horizontal loops and live in north idaho. House is 5800sqft my biggest bill in the winter has been $400(usually closer to $300) and I average about $120 in the summer, that's all electricity used. And we have big windows. The tax credit was worth 30% of the install cost, I think that's still available. We've been in the house almost 8 years and I figure based on some local guys I know it paid for itself two years ago versus most other systems. We were -10 in December and a guy I know with radiant and a propane boiler had to get an emergency refill. I added $20 to the normal bill for the month. We use the AC all summer too, that's where the efficiency shines. If you don't use AC radiant might look better, but I couldn't see the point of ducts for AC and radiant loops.

Don't consider the ductless in a cold climate. There's a house similar in size to by close by, they used ductless, slab on grade. Not sure how the county even permitted that but it's up for sale after one year and I'll bet I know why.

Don't consider the ductless in a cold climate. There's a house similar in size to by close by, they used ductless, slab on grade. Not sure how the county even permitted that but it's up for sale after one year and I'll bet I know why.
Definitely, I wouldn't look at ductless. It sounds like they stepped over dollars to pick up dimes.

...do you know why??

...do you know why??
Yes. But don't ask me to do the math. Thermodynamics was 20 years ago. Ductless and geothermal loops work on the same principles. Transferring heat between and condenser or a ground loop(or water loop in some cases). The difference is in a geothermal unit you're transferring to/from the ground which remains constant temp once you hit a depth of about 4 feet. The efficiency of the transfer is proportional to the temperature differential between the coil(or loop) and the transfer medium(air or ground). Since the ground temp doesn't change and the desired temperature of your house is relatively consistent a geothermal loop remains efficient to the point where the transfer between the R value of your house and the exterior governs. If you're using a heat pump that transfers to the air, when air temp drops you begin losing efficiency on that transfer as well as on transfer based on the R value of the house. There are ways to decrease this loss, but it is a Law of Thermodynamics, it can be mitigated but not overcome.

Gothcha....I didn't realize you had the specs and capabilities of the actual system he installed and do know that the house is too COLD..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom