Gila Bird

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
Well, this has been a painful shed hunting year for me so I decided to chase some turkey. Wish it was a romantic story about calling in a big tom but it wasn't. I did get in on a big bird early in the morning but after making some noise he decided he was done and split...so, walking back to my truck at 7 am I walked right into a group of young toms and jakes. I'll take lucky over good any day so I didn't hesitate to hasten this bird's trip into my fryer...
IMG_0851.jpg

5.5 inch beard but I could care less. Should be some great eating.
IMG_0859-1.jpg

Congrats to all of you guys pounding the monster toms,
Cody

I prefer luck over skill any day. Nice bird. I hunted the Gila last weekend and missed my chance. Saw lots of birds, elk, and deer. A very nice weekend in the woods.

Scott

NMELKTROUT- nice bird! My partner and i tried it up there a couple of weeks ago. No luck. looks like your down around my neck of the woods. congrats!

Cody,

Congrats! When you get in predator mode, it does not matter how you get it done!

Any chance that the bird you harvested be a bearded hen? They do occur out there more than we think. In fact, this last weekend we ran into 3 different ones. On the ranch that we hunted we not allowed to take one. Bearded hens are legal to take and are kind of rare trophy.

By no means, I am no turkey expert but the head color, fan configuration, and what it appears the lack of spurs leads me to this.

Regardless, harvesting any turkey in the spring is a good thing. They also taste good when they come out of the fryer.

Cody, I am jealous. If I see a hen with a beard its going down. I aint proud. Pretty sure that is a jake though. perfectly good.

These winds wont help the turkey hunting.

Just promise you will hold out on your oryx hunt.

Nice bird Cody! Glad to see you getting it done. I'm headed out tomorrow morning, hopefully I can find that elusive tom I have been searching for the last two weekends.

Much congrats, Cody. Wish I was so lucky. I don't know of a single good recipe for beard...and you can't convince me that displaying beard is on par with displaying bone... ;-)

That is definitely a 50/50 on a bearded hen dude. No wattle, snood is tiny and covered with feathers, and caruncle absent for the most part. Either way congrats! This year has been horrible for me those birds just arent speaking my language

Thanks guys. Not sure of what I shot but I always try to stay away from the bearded ladies no matter what I do! Regardless, as a young bird it should be pretty good eating. I think New Mexico's turkey hunts are always tough because the season takes place out of the turkey "rut" in most areas in the state. First couple of weeks in March I always seem to be around flocks of hens with gobblers sounding off and come season it seems as if I'm chasing silent birds...makes for some tough turkey hunting. And like Paul said, the weather sure isn't going to help this weekend either. I'm sure you guys will find your birds so post those pics up when you do.

-Cody

Yeah if I was you I would try to stay away from those bearded ladies also, but back to the turkey congrats on the bird. I would have to guess a jake, wild turkey is some good eating and don't drive if you drink it. my nephew was able to get one this morning. Me and my brother called it in and he made a great shot, I will get pics up soon.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom