Going to the...

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
...dogs again last night. Plain ol' hot dogs on buns with yellow mustard, pickled jalapenos, onions & sweet pickle relish with the usual side of fries.

dogs.JPG

dogs2.JPG

dogs3.JPG

I like them with mustard and lots of onions, my wife likes them just plain in a bun. I also like them with sour kraut and mustard.

I used to eat a lot of hot dogs when I was younger. One day I watched the Canadian documentary “How it’s Made” and it was about making hot dogs or wieners, I don’t know which is which. I quit after that because it looks like they build them with all of the leftover pieces, not even meat, but pieces of hog or cattle that just made the cut or they were on their way to becoming dog food. The pieces were some of the organs, eyes, testicles and other tissue. That was about 20 years ago. I will eat bratwurst and other sausage but not hot dogs or wieners. I’m not being critical of you Tony, I know the rest of the world likes them, it’s just a mental thing of mine.

Me thinks you misremember. The How It's Made video has no mention of eyes, testicles or any other organs.

Here's a refresher:

When I was at Texas Tech studying many years ago, we took a trip to a meat processing plant for one of our Business classes to view their infrastructure for a class project. They were making wieners. The guys running that department referred to them as Lips and A-holes because they said the dogs were made of everything including and in between. Never forgot that statement. lol

This is not directed to anyone here, but I sometimes chuckle at where some folks draw the line at what they eat by what it is rather than considering the nutritional value and/or taste, as in 'Yuck, do you know what that is?'

All through my growing up years & into adulthood, I would pretty much at least taste everything before lending a verdict. The final assessment was always based on how it tasted, not how it was was produced or what it is.

Thus, many of the foods I eat might be deemed 'weird' by others -- even those who have never tried them. A few include raw clams & oysters, menudo (tripe), chicken feet & gizzards and in my younger days, snails (Italian escargots) cooked by my grandma. I probably should also include hot dogs, brats & Italian sausages now. ;)

At the same time, I have also eliminated many foods simply because I don't like the taste. A few include any liver including goose pate, heart, beef tongue, cauliflower, brocolli, cucumbers, okra, brussel sprouts, grits & some others I can't even recall. Actually, I often retry some of them when they are prepped differently than I've had before. So far, I still avoid them. :rolleyes:

Intestines are good for that purpose I suppose. Guts? It just made me think of Menudo. I refuse to eat that. I have tried it though.

Tony,
Do you like Menudo?
Are you reading my replies?? :rolleyes:

From above:
"Thus, many of the foods I eat might be deemed 'weird' by others -- even those who have never tried them. A few include raw clams & oysters, menudo (tripe), chicken feet & gizzards and in my younger days, snails (Italian escargots) cooked by my grandma."

I not only like it but usually make my own on a wholesale level, like 18 qts. at a time. I do the same with all my homemade soups. Right now, I have 5 lbs. of tripe in the freezer but there's no room to store the already made menudo. I'm working on it, though.

I guess I wasn’t reading them. So embarrassing.
I forgot to mention that I was raised eating tripe cooked Italian style by my grandma. There's lots of protein in tripe, too, but I still haven't figured out why the Mexicans consider menudo as a hangover reliever. ?‍♂️

Like my grandma's...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom