Got a 6A early archery elk tag and my usual questions

3darcher2

Hi everyone,

After a few years of trying, drew a 6A early archery elk tag. I'm from PA and I've been on two western hunts in the past two years - CO OTC archery elk (disaster) and Kaibab rifle deer (awesome). Both were learning experiences as I'm trying to figure out the stuff you really need to know before stepping into the woods somewhere. That said, I have a couple questions.

Can anyone comment on the prevalence of unwelcomables? That list includes bears, mountain lions, snakes, scorpions, spiders, or assorted other critters local to the area that can cause an issue. Also on the list is 2-legged varmints, as I've anecdotally read reports of entire setups either vandalized or stolen in NM far more frequently than any other location. I realize the weather will likely be warm but will be prepared for anything. I also see that road conditions apparently go to crap when it rains in this area.

I'm also curious as to the amount of recreationists I might run into in 6A, especially with the Labor Day weekend. In CO I avoided the early season and wound up going later in September but overlapped with ML season, which was horrible. In AZ, the number of non-hunters around was surprising for late October, people out in random place just doing random stuff. Since the unit is relatively close to ALB and SF I figure there could be a decent amount of people out and about. I do see there is an archery muley tag for the unit, in relatively low numbers as well. I've always wanted to catch a cutthroat or three - struck out in CO, but this might be my chance while I'm in NM as well.

Anything else that you might want to suggest that would be not typical of other elk country would be appreciated. Fuel could seem to be an issue as it doesn't seem like there is any gas stations in the NF. Being from PA it's hard to get more than 10 miles or so from a station here even in the NF areas. The Kaibab really focused me on the whole fuel thing and I probably need to carry more extra fuel.

I have a few rough plans in my head already as to actual hunting strategy which might all fly out the window once I arrive. North facing slopes, water in the dry areas, get close to the border of the Caldera, etc., but I am always open to suggestion. I got some good advice on everything from campsites to hunting last year for the Kaibab here on MM, and it helped make for a great hunt. Right now everything is on the table from truck camping to backpacking in. I am currently in the market for an ATV as well which sounds like outside of the wilderness could be a good tool.

Hi everyone,

After a few years of trying, drew a 6A early archery elk tag. I'm from PA and I've been on two western hunts in the past two years - CO OTC archery elk (disaster) and Kaibab rifle deer (awesome). Both were learning experiences as I'm trying to figure out the stuff you really need to know before stepping into the woods somewhere. That said, I have a couple questions.

Can anyone comment on the prevalence of unwelcomables? That list includes bears, mountain lions, snakes, scorpions, spiders, or assorted other critters local to the area that can cause an issue. Also on the list is 2-legged varmints, as I've anecdotally read reports of entire setups either vandalized or stolen in NM far more frequently than any other location. I realize the weather will likely be warm but will be prepared for anything. I also see that road conditions apparently go to crap when it rains in this area.

I'm also curious as to the amount of recreationists I might run into in 6A, especially with the Labor Day weekend. In CO I avoided the early season and wound up going later in September but overlapped with ML season, which was horrible. In AZ, the number of non-hunters around was surprising for late October, people out in random place just doing random stuff. Since the unit is relatively close to ALB and SF I figure there could be a decent amount of people out and about. I do see there is an archery muley tag for the unit, in relatively low numbers as well. I've always wanted to catch a cutthroat or three - struck out in CO, but this might be my chance while I'm in NM as well.

Anything else that you might want to suggest that would be not typical of other elk country would be appreciated. Fuel could seem to be an issue as it doesn't seem like there is any gas stations in the NF. Being from PA it's hard to get more than 10 miles or so from a station here even in the NF areas. The Kaibab really focused me on the whole fuel thing and I probably need to carry more extra fuel.

I have a few rough plans in my head already as to actual hunting strategy which might all fly out the window once I arrive. North facing slopes, water in the dry areas, get close to the border of the Caldera, etc., but I am always open to suggestion. I got some good advice on everything from campsites to hunting last year for the Kaibab here on MM, and it helped make for a great hunt. Right now everything is on the table from truck camping to backpacking in. I am currently in the market for an ATV as well which sounds like outside of the wilderness could be a good tool.
Don’t camp right off the road, get off the main dirt road as far as you can. Gear you’re going to leave outside like gas cans, generator, tools and such, conceal those behind brush, trees, etc. and/or cover with a tarp. Leaving a portable radio on at camp when you’re gone can be a deterrent also. Setup a game cam, if you get ripped off the authorities will have a place to start by using those pictures. We were hunting elk in Northern NM in 1996, set up camp and went out to cut firewood. Upon our return we discovered somebody stole an ice chest containing our breakfast food and some beer. About 10 years later, on the way to same elk hunting country we stopped to get a hamburger, while inside somebody stole a case of beer out of my dads pickup. That’s the only two times in near 50 years we’ve had anything stolen. We are in a recession, dope has been legalized and people will become more desperate, especially our local scum bag criminals in NM. Plan accordingly.

As far as all that other stuff, I’ve never concerned myself with snakes, scorpions or lions and tigers and bears oh my! Concentrate on your hunt and have fun.

Don’t camp right off the road, get off the main dirt road as far as you can. Gear you’re going to leave outside like gas cans, generator, tools and such, conceal those behind brush, trees, etc. and/or cover with a tarp. Leaving a portable radio on at camp when you’re gone can be a deterrent also. Setup a game cam, if you get ripped off the authorities will have a place to start by using those pictures. We were hunting elk in Northern NM in 1996, set up camp and went out to cut firewood. Upon our return we discovered somebody stole an ice chest containing our breakfast food and some beer. About 10 years later, on the way to same elk hunting country we stopped to get a hamburger, while inside somebody stole a case of beer out of my dads pickup. That’s the only two times in near 50 years we’ve had anything stolen. We are in a recession, dope has been legalized and people will become more desperate, especially our local scum bag criminals in NM. Plan accordingly.

As far as all that other stuff, I’ve never concerned myself with snakes, scorpions or lions and tigers and bears oh my! Concentrate on your hunt and have fun.
Thanks Bigfoot. I always run a cam at camp for sure, hoping to never need it.

I'm not that concerned about the other stuff. We have several black bears killed in PA over 500# every year and 1 or 2 around 800# but occasionally an area is well know for bears in camps, etc. I try to make sure I don't have anything out to attract bears or other critters. I do hate snakes. I have a buddy who lived down in southern NM who seemed to take a rattler a week out of his barns or stables, front yard, etc. That's a hard pass for me, but I was figuring that far north and higher elevation snakes would be few and far between.

I'd consider meeting up with someone else too, even if not directly hunting together as a safety net or just for company if it worked out.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom