GPS, how the ____?

fullofbull

Couple of questions.

Been looking at the GPS with two radio options (Rhino 120's). My question is, for a pair of these in a package will run ~600.00. We are hooked on the feature of knowing where each other is. Now for my share of the cost (300.00), I could buy a much better GPS (~250.00) and my share of the two radios (probably better range 18 miles rated, I know they might be good for half of that).
1)IF I opt for the better GPS, can I get coordinates of buddies via the two way and manually log them into my GPS to know their location without actually being at that spot to make a way/log point?
2)If there a major difference in how many satellites the GPS tracks. Most GPS's on the market track 12, but Magellan says 14?

I know that I will be carrying more weight with two pieces of equipment, might I think it could be worth it.

I would appreciate any input that anyone has.

Thanks
FOB

First question: yes. Second question: It has been my understanding that there are 24 satellites and you need to aquire but three to get your position on the earth. I suppose if one tracks more then it would stand to reason that you could get quicker reception.

If you hunt with another person often enough, the the Rino is warrented IMO. Why carry two? I have used the Rino's, they are pretty slick.

Yes you can enter coordinates.

The rino GPS unit is very good. Get the mapsource and download topo maps on it.

Unless you go with the real high end GPS units - trimble units

then the Garmin units are great.

hunting - hiking - ect.

The Garmin is all you need. -

Thanks for the info guys. So it sounds like if I went with a Legend, vista, etc. it wouldn't be enough of a difference to justify the added weight or hassle of carrying two pieces.

Thanks again!!!
FOB

I would suggest you buy the two seperate. The locator on the Garmin only works if you are within radio distance from your buddy. This year my friend had a buck down and he gave me his GPS position over a cell phone. I punched it in set it as a way point and found him. Check out the Lowrance ifinder hunt color. I think it is the only handheld that uses a 16 channel receiver. I have one and like it.
Brian

well me and a buddy have the 120's and the gps is great but the radio is very dissapointing.It may work fine in the desert but in the timber its is about worthless.I actually carry another radio with me now that is way more powerful along with the garmin 120.

Thanks for the additional comments. We will be hunting some rough terrain in Idaho, so if the Peer to Peer only works within radio contact then it might not be the best option.

thanks!!

FOB

I have found the 2-way radios to work about the same in mountainous terrain. The reception is not good once you get a few hills in between you and the other radio user. I have found this to be the case with the 3-4 types/brands I have used. I have also found that the location feature on the 120's will work if I can't get radio reception. In other words, if I can get a little static from my partner, I can generally get a fix on his location. The bottom line is to realize the limitations of the radios in mountain country. For me, the radios work well enough, and the fact the GPS is in the same unit is great. I use the GPS feature more often, but the radio is handy.

Not sure if it is likely to happen, but it could; if there are other hunters nearby that are also using the Rhino's, they could get a fix on your position as well. I've heard some say its not a good thing, and others don't care. Personally, I'd rather have the two separate.

It's Bush's fault!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom