Gun storage problem

alsatian

I will be returning from a Wyoming pronghorn hunt through Durango, CO. I will stop to backpack/scout for elk near the Missionary Ridge area NE of Durango. I have no elk tag and cannot carry my rifles with me (two of us: my son and I). I plan to park my vehicle at the terminus of a 4 wheel drive road and strike out on foot onto the trails.

My problem: what do I do with my rifles? I'm concerned that if I leave my rifles in my truck they will be stolen. I will be coming out of the woods Saturday afternoon, October 23.

Any suggestions? I have thought about finding a gun smith or a gun range and asking them to store the guns for me. I have thought about trying to find a trustworthy individual to store the guns for me. The thought only occured to me last night, and I'm leaving Friday afternoon to drive to Gillette, so I don't have much time to resolve this problem. The worst case solution, I suppose, is to rent a hotel room for my rifles with instructions to the keeper of the Inn that this is what I'm doing and to keep hands off. I'm not sure this is a good plan, either.

Just a wierd thought here....if you are on public land, I don't believe there is anything that prohibits you from taking the rifles with you. I know it's more weight, but it would eliminate any concerns.....
You also might see if the local police dept would be willing to store them for safekeeping. The only downside to that is you probably would not be able to get to them except during business hours.

Pred

Take them with you. There is nothing wrong with carrying a rifle during a season that you don't have tags for. Shoot a coyote if you see one. You do need a hunting license with you though.

Apparently you guys have never delt with the Colorado Game & Fish Dept.
Let me know if you need help with your guns!

Horn

If you still need help with storing your guns send me a PM. I live just outside of Durango and would be glad to help out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom