Help me choose a Tikka

callsalot

I've been mostly a Bowhunter the last 30 years due to availability of tags and long seasons. However I've started rifle hunting again to give even more options and because I'm missing it. Therefore I'm itching for a new rifle and for the $1000 to $1500 range it seems like Tikka is a good bet. My question is which one? I think I've settled on stainless for rust control but what is the difference between the lite Veil and the roughtech ember for instance?? I can't seem to find info that adequately describes the difference? Any help is appreciated.

Tikka T3X Lite Black/Veil Wideland Bolt Action Rifle - 6.5 Creedmoor - Tikka's T3x Lite combines high performance with lightweight ease. The T3x receiver introduces a widened angular ejection port making it easier to feed one cartridge at a time, and extra screw placements on top of the receiver to robustly attach a Picatinny rail. The Lite models are equipped with the T3x synthetic stock with modular pistol grip and forend capabilities. It comes with the classic low-angled grip.

Tikka T3x Lite Roughtech Ember Stainless Steel Bolt Action Rifle - 6.5 PRC - 24.3in - All the benefits and performance of a T3x Lite model combined with a Roughtech stock. The rough surface texture provides a solid grip throughout the stock in all weather conditions. Muzzle brake is included for recoil reduction. T3x has a new modular synthetic stock that has interchangeable pistol grips, making it possible to modify the angle of the grip. This allows for multiple shooting positions. Additional grips are sold separately. The T3x synthetic stock also has an additional attachment point which allows you to change the width of the stocks fore-end. Optimal weight distribution thanks to fluted barrel.

I have a Ultralight in 7-08 I ended up putting into a B&C stock I absolutely love. Keep picking it up even with nicer and more expensive rifles next to it.

Hey Tikka & Z, I really appreciate the education on these two models. Sounds like they are extremely similar or practically the same outside of a few minor differences. I was originally thinking of the Lite Veil but then I read the Roughtech Ember had a more solid feel to the stock. So Outside of the finish "camo Vs. ember" I was leaning more toward the Roughtech. However the Lite Veil is a little more expensive so i'm always thinking I'm missing out if I'm not buying the slightly more expensive version. The 6.5 PRC was my thought since it would pretty much be a mule deer rifle.

Hey Tikka & Z, I really appreciate the education on these two models. Sounds like they are extremely similar or practically the same outside of a few minor differences. I was originally thinking of the Lite Veil but then I read the Roughtech Ember had a more solid feel to the stock. So Outside of the finish "camo Vs. ember" I was leaning more toward the Roughtech. However the Lite Veil is a little more expensive so i'm always thinking I'm missing out if I'm not buying the slightly more expensive version. The 6.5 PRC was my thought since it would pretty much be a mule deer rifle.
Personally I’d go with the roughtech… But you can’t go wrong with either one….

If you want to keep the gun light, Look at a Stocky carbon fiber. There has been a 30% off promo code lately. I have a few of their stocks on 700 clones. My VG carbon weighs 27 oz. I just picked up a Roughtech lite that was on sale for $879 plus an addition $75 rebate through Tikka. Wasnt planning on another rifle, but couldn’t pass up that deal. I’ll be ordering a Stockys to put the Roughtech in.

Another option would be a Sako which is a sister to Tikka. Euro optics has them on sale for $999 which is 600 off.

The regular tikka stock leaves something to be desired which I why I personally am looking at the wood stock option(and like wood stocks).
I would go for the upgrades roughtech stock if I wasn’t going with a wood one. I really can’t recommend the stocky stocks it’s taken some work to get a good fit with my rem 700. Ymmv

Here’s a 55 page thread on the Stockys carbon fiber for anyone interested

I know my two stocks for a rem 700 dropped in without any work and are shooters. My 700 stock for a Bergara needed some minor fitting, but since I was planning on bedding, no biggie.

More good advice guys. I'm not overly concerned about weight within reason. With all the archery crap I carry around most of the year when I rifle hunt I always feel I'm getting a little break and where I rifle hunt is less demanding than where bow hunt elk. I know the Sako's are great and that is a great deal but I'm going to stick with the Tikka. Just like everything there are just to many good options. A guy could research himself to death:)

Here’s a 55 page thread on the Stockys carbon fiber for anyone interested

I know my two stocks for a rem 700 dropped in without any work and are shooters. My 700 stock for a Bergara needed some minor fitting, but since I was planning on bedding, no biggie.
I like Mesa Precision stocks for the Tikkas, but they are a little pricey….

As opposed to buying a Tikka and replacing the stock, maybe consider just buying a Seekins Havak PH2. You can find them sub $1,700 if you start calling around to local distributors. They can hang with any $5k plus custom build.

Tikka is a darn nice mass produced factory rifle, probably the best, but it can’t run with the Seekins (better stock, better barrel, better warranty, better quality control, etc). The value you are getting with that Seekins is almost to good to be true. Buy once, cry once, you won’t regret.

Snagged a tikka t3x lite stainless a few weeks back on gun broker for sub 600 which was a steal of a deal, it is my 3rd tikka and if it’s like the other two they truly are the easy button, this one will be off for a barrel cut and thread and then I’m betting it will like 1 of the 3 factory ammo I prefer, then just have a boringly accurate rifle. Cheap upgrades for the tikka are the trigger spring, vertical grip, and recoil pad, and make it that much more functional. Good luck in your search

I looked up the Havak PH2 and looks like a hell of a rifle but I need to outfit this for 2k including optics. Midway always has great deal on Vortex. With the price of the Tikka's whether I do a Roughtech ember or just a TX3 light and put a new stock I could outfit it with the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25 30mm tube 50mil. for 2K or under. I'm looking for a very accurate tool in 6.5 prc to get excited about doing a bit more rifle hunting with. For what I have to spend this looks like it fits the bill. In reality my Ruger M77 270 or Remington 700 25-06 will do whatever I need it to but I've had them for long enough I'm itching to try something new.

A bit of a side note but you will find most guns shot the 6.5 PRC well with factory Hornady ammo. One of the primary attributes of the PRC line, they aren’t very picky. They shot!

If I was working with a 2k budget for gun and glass, I’d buy the T3x lite, add a vertical grip to the factory stock, maybe even an aftermarket cheek riser. Out of the box, the Tikka will shoot. Then use the rest of the money on a better optic than the vortex. I would even consider buying a used piece of glass off rokslide or snipershide. Lots of really good used optics for sale on Rokslide

If I was working with a 2k budget for gun and glass, I’d buy the T3x lite, add a vertical grip to the factory stock, maybe even an aftermarket cheek riser. Out of the box, the Tikka will shoot. Then use the rest of the money on a better optic than the vortex. I would even consider buying a used piece of glass off rokslide or snipershide. Lots of really good used optics for sale on Rokslide
I appreciate the recommendation. I'll take a look at those sites for glass. I have Vortex Vipers on two of my other rifles and feel they are pretty solid but of course there are always better and if you can get them within budget why not take a look.

This x2 that vertical grip and a 10$ trigger spring (mt. Tactical, mcarbo, or yodave) are awesome and inexpensive upgrades. I swear by those trigger springs, my tikkas have smoother crisper triggers than my 250$ trigger techs on a couple rifles

This x2 that vertical grip and a 10$ trigger spring (mt. Tactical, mcarbo, or yodave) are awesome and inexpensive upgrades. I swear by those trigger springs, my tikkas have smoother crisper triggers than my 250$ trigger techs on a couple rifles
Mountain Tactical has great aftermarket products for Tikka’s…

Vertical Grip and trigger spring. Got it!!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that chimed in. I feel like I learned quite a bit with some great tips. Good hunting this year fella's!!!!!

I own a Tikka what came with a 6.5 but if were to purchase another it would be the Tikka that comes with a pheasant run.

I own a Tikka what came with a 6.5 but if were to purchase another it would be the Tikka that comes with a pheasant run.
My wife might enjoy the getting rid of the pheasant run… Only after I finish the remodel of our master bedroom and bathroom….

Hate to admit it on a public forum ……… but……….. I’ve bought my son 3 Tikkas now and all 3 will out group most all of my fine Winchester collection ! 🤬🤬🤬 He’s got a 17 hmr, a 6.5, and a 7 mag. Thinks they are the next best thing since sliced bread !

Hate to admit it on a public forum ……… but……….. I’ve bought my son 3 Tikkas now and all 3 will out group most all of my fine Winchester collection ! 🤬🤬🤬 He’s got a 17 hmr, a 6.5, and a 7 mag. Thinks they are the next best thing since sliced bread !
Hey Stillwater. Thanks for the thumbs up for Tikka. From everything that has been said on this thread it looks like the Tikka is the ticket for the dollar. Crazy things is "and your not going to believe this" but I just moved and found an envelope in a small safe of mine that had 3k in it for a raining day. I thought I had already used it but here it is. Nevada sheep mentioned in this thread about a Seekins Havak PH2 for between $1,700 and $1,800 which I looked into and now temptation is raising it head but then that opens up several other options if I go that price range. Darn I thought I had it figured out.

As opposed to buying a Tikka and replacing the stock, maybe consider just buying a Seekins Havak PH2. You can find them sub $1,700 if you start calling around to local distributors. They can hang with any $5k plus custom build.

Tikka is a darn nice mass produced factory rifle, probably the best, but it can’t run with the Seekins (better stock, better barrel, better warranty, better quality control, etc). The value you are getting with that Seekins is almost to good to be true. Buy once, cry once, you won’t regret.
I came up with a little more cash. I'm tempted by the Seekins you mention. Darn you for opening up that can of temptation:) LOL

I came up with a little more cash. I'm tempted by the Seekins you mention. Darn you for opening up that can of temptation:) LOL
Whatever you do please don’t put a vortex on it 😂

A much better scope with similar specs would be the maven RS1.2. I own three of them now and they will hold zero through a 3ft drop, the reticle is actually usable at low power (FFP), and the glass is good. Trijicon is also making reliable scopes, or NF but I do not like their FFP reticles

Whatever you do please don’t put a vortex on it 😂

A much better scope with similar specs would be the maven RS1.2. I own three of them now and they will hold zero through a 3ft drop, the reticle is actually usable at low power (FFP), and the glass is good. Trijicon is also making reliable scopes, or NF but I do not like their FFP reticles
Appreciate your thoughts on the glass. I really haven't looked at the Maven. I'll look into it. That Seekins is hard to find except in the one finish I don't like.

Make sure to check out Camera Land for optics. If you call them you will be surprised the deal you can come up with.
I'll do that. I've purchased from Camera land before. However it was for camera gear for a bighorn sheep hunt my soon drew in Oregon. It was great, I'll check them out for optics to.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom