High country archery units?

HUNTNNW

I really dont like to ask, but I am looking to apply for archery deer in CO this year and know nothing about CO..never been there and this is a daunting task to start and not put in for a unit I dont wanna hunt after I see it. I was given some advice on applying for a unit on the Utah border where the muleys summer and come down into the dolores triangle area. I am looking for a high, wilderness type hunt. I plan on a 9-10 day hunt and will be packing in solo. Any advice or steer me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Pm me if you want..I am even willing to help on info here in my homestate of WA on whitetails, bears or elk or set up a hunt in trade.

Just look at the units with 0 point draw success as a first choice that also have wilderness areas. That should get you into finding a unit that has high country possibilities.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

44 was hit hard by a hard winter a few years back, BUT there is some great bucks up high.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I am looking to 43. I looked at the PP list on CO site for what units require points. It doesnt make sense...there are alot I looked at they say 0, but when u look at apps U have almost no chance of drawing.

>I am looking to 43. I
>looked at the PP list
>on CO site for what
>units require points. It doesnt
>make sense...there are alot I
>looked at they say 0,
>but when u look at
>apps U have almost no
>chance of drawing.

I've had a wild hair this year to do a high-country mule deer hunt and Unit 43 is the unit I've been focusing on. If you look at the Draw Odds from this site, it says that there was 100% success for applicants with 2, 1, and 0 preference points. Also, you can see that there were a number of leftover tags as well. I take this to mean that you should have drawn if you put this unit down. I plan on applying for a unit I won't draw with my first choice, save my PPs, and put Unit 43 as my second choice. Assuming the quota isn't met, I believe I should get the tag.

>Has 43 recovered from the hard
>winters of '08 yet?
>
>Mike

Very slow to recover, IMO......I know a few bowhunters who turned their tags in after a scouting trip last summer.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I have been looking into some colorado hunts as well and here are some good high country units I have come up with:
There are quite a few high country areas but from what I have heard the better units right now are in the southern region of the state. I have heard a lot of good things about the Sangre De Cristo mountain range and La Plata range. I have never hunted colorado so I am no expert but I have received some guidance from a few people and thought i'd share some of my research.

I've heard similar comments about Unit 43 and 44 with regards to the winter kill and numbers being down. Looking a the DOW website, looks like 44 got it really bad. I'm hoping to make this hunt a yearly tradition and want to get to know an area really well. Hoping that with the mild winter this year and a few more, numbers will be up and I'll have a better feel for the unit. This'll be my first time on this type of hunt and am totally new to the unit and the experience. I expect full well to come home empty handed my first year and success will be measured by spotting and getting familiar with the deer and by being in incredible country. If I get to put a stalk on one it'll be more than I'm expecting right now!

I'm planing a 43 muzzy hunt this year. Colorado g&f has deer numbers around 6000. I'm thinking it will still be better than hunting central az. I just finished a 18mo paramedic class and really looking toward to getting in the high country.

Bigeasygator...yeah 43 is 100% but there was other units that say 0 points but you look unit up and apps and there isnt a chance in hell of drawing.

Archer11 I have looked into the same units plus the mid 60's units..most of the good ones need a few points tho

>Bigeasygator...yeah 43 is 100% but there
>was other units that say
>0 points but you look
>unit up and apps and
>there isnt a chance in
>hell of drawing.
>
>Archer11 I have looked into the
>same units plus the mid
>60's units..most of the good
>ones need a few points
>tho

If only be 5 out of 40 applicants with 0 points drew they still say "0 points needed" correct???

Mike

>>Bigeasygator...yeah 43 is 100% but there
>>was other units that say
>>0 points but you look
>>unit up and apps and
>>there isnt a chance in
>>hell of drawing.
>>
>>Archer11 I have looked into the
>>same units plus the mid
>>60's units..most of the good
>>ones need a few points
>>tho
>
>If only be 5 out of
>40 applicants with 0 points
>drew they still say "0
>points needed" correct???
>
>Mike

They may depending on where you're looking, but looking at the MM draw odds it would reflect what your probability is with zero points (ie, in your example you'd have a 12.5% chance with zero points).

"There are quite a few high country areas but from what I have heard the better units right now are in the southern region of the state."

+1.

My high country hunts hold my most memorable experiences, and I never came home dissatisfied with my time spent hunting, regardless of whether I filled a tag or not. Based on concentration of 170+ bucks, I would hunt these units in the following order:

Those mid-state units have a few more years before they produce trophy animals consistently.

I applied for 43 as a second choice also. I am confused, do I have any chance of drawing this tag?

Yes, you need to get familar with the odds offered by hunterstrailhead at the link on the top of this page.

And yes, that data will tell you that you have a shot as a second choice for unit 43. But to find out if you have a 1 in 100 shot or a 99% shot, you have to go here:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Pages/Statistics.aspx

Kind of hard to read at first, but gives you every bit of info you want: How many put in with how many points, how many leftover tags, and how many people put in for your choice as a second choice, etc. You will need to know the actual hunt code you applied for to figure out where to look.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Spent some time in 71 in early August scouting and then in September for my OTC archery elk hunt. I saw more deer in August than I did in September, but saw the bigger deer in September. I think it would be a tough hunt, steep and big country, but it would definitely be a fun one. Some of the most beautiful stuff I have hunted, in fact, I think I will probably apply next year as a non-res with 0 points. Should be able to draw archery or muzz in a year or two of playing.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

you can probably draw an archery tag in 2 years, but will take about 4-5 years to draw a muzzy tag (3-4 points)

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom