Horse trails around GJ?

born_2_hunt

We are taking the horses somewhere tomorrow not sure where. Thinking up on Grand Mesa or Uncumpaghre. Does anyone know of any nice trails to ride? We usually ride in the Rifle area so don't know where to go on the mesa or the Unc. and looking for something new.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

Get a hold the "Backcountry Horseman Group" in that area I'm sure they can give you some great places to start.
Have a great ride.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-14 AT 01:26PM (MST)[p]If you go to Sportsman's they have the National Geographic laminated map of both the GJ area and the Grand Mesa. They are both worth having.

Also, don't overlook the Glade Park area...(unit 40), south of the CO monument.

There should be some stuff in the Kingsview? area of Fruita. You take the Fruita exit, go south and it is the BLM land just north of the Monument....tis also mountain biker territory.
John 14:6

If you want to try the Grand Mesa head out to Flowing Park and ride from there. Great Scenery and fewer mosquitoes than the north end of the Grand Mesa.

I would avoid the Uncompahgre this weekend because of the large motorcycle race being held.

I've been in that area and can 2nd the lack of skeeters. That is the desert of the mesa....especially as you get to the end, out over-looking Delta and Indian Point (facing west). You might see mountain bikers...tis an easy single-track trail.

You can also drop off the south end. I don't remember the name of the trail, but there are lakes/ponds in there. Access is getting bad in that area. Also, when you drop off, the # of bugs will increase. Tis a steep trail going off the edge.

Not to far from there is Carson Lake (upper Kannah Creek drainage).

Also, there is a trail that drops off at Indian Point The Lands-End Hillclimb is this week-end.
John 14:6

Did you ride the whole loop? There's always been a lot of elk sign on the southernmost part and I always keep wondering about it.

Sounds like you rode 'Mesa Top' trail if you left from pavement. Did you leave from the big new parking lot just off the main road or did you turn west on Land Ends Road and the onto the Flowing Park road?

They "almost" tie in together. Mesa Top is unfinished at the moment although you could easily link up with Flowing Park, unofficially. I'm a member of COPMOBA which is responsible for building both Mesa Top and Flowing Park trails.

Colorado Plateau Mountain Bike Association

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom