how many pts. to get in

jodog

Very Active Member
Can anyone tell me how many points it will take this year to draw a 27 early archery elk tag ? I have 10 points and was wondering if that would be enough. I have some other units in mind I'm pretty sure I can draw. Need to make an elk plan..I don't feel like waiting another 4 or 5 years. I could hunt this year and draw another elk tag in a not so famous unit in 4 or 5 years.......Might be a AZ resident by then. Thanks.

usually 10 B.P. for a n.r. is good and will get You in the game/draw for "ALL" archery bull elk units except units 9 or 10.Good Luck ... Bruce & SilverGrand

10 points should put you into the 20% pass pool, at least it did for 2012. Several of the draw odds sites you have to pay for now so it is harder to figure out. If you look on the AZ website at the 20% pass file for 2012 and hunt number 3145 (archery) you probably have a better than 50% chance of grabbing that tag this year. it listed 68% of those with 10 points drew. But remember they can at max only give 15 of those 30 tags in the pass pool to a non-resident. Depending on the unit there might be a lot of non-residents in that pool which will reduce your draw changes

If there are 150 TOTAL permits for the hunt, that means NRs can get up to 15 permits, regardless of the phase of the draw they are issued. All 15 could go in the 20% pass. There is no 10% on top of 10% limit in the BP pass. ;-)

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Outdoor writer was correct in his reiteration of what I mentioned in that all 15 tags could go in the 20% pass. Thats why in places like 9 which are loaded with non-residents with hight points, all available non-resident tags always go in the pass pool with no-chance of someone outside that range getting one. As an example I drew 6a muzzy for bull this past season. I hit the pass pool this year as well. If you compared non-resident and resident draw odds for that unit the stats are identical for that particular hunt which, in practical terms, means the draw is not top heavy with a lot of non-residents and the 10% NR quota is not affecting the draw at the bonus point pass level. There used to be a page here on MM that you could use to figure the resident/non-resident bias for each unit, but I believe that came from huntdata which went to a pay service this year. So unless you pay or have a friend who can look it up for you you are SOL. You do have access to the same data from maim and squish as they do, but it takes a bit of manipulation to figure out the resident vs non-resident odds. Easiest way is look at the pass statistics and look for high numbers of bonus points but no draw indicating those are probably non-residents and the quota has already been reached. Looks like this actually did happen in 27 this past year. Even so your numbers are still pretty good.

Nobody can correctly tell you the resident/non resident ratio on a per point basis for AZ. The best you can do is look for the break where the draw skips over a point pool and picks back up, which is what hunting odds and huntin fool do.
You'll be in the mix with 10. 27 archery didn't have a tag drop down to the 1-2 pass in 2010 or 2011. I didn't file for the 2012 data.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom