How many trips

marley

Very Active Member
I saw this thread on another forum and thought it was interesting. Most people were saying at least two trips and talking about 100+ lbs of cut and wrapped meat.

First of all, I call bull crap on a 100+ lbs of meat. I have packed out 100+ deer in my pack and I’ve never made two trips. The average deboned weight has never been more than 60 lbs. This is deboned 4 quarters, two backstraps, and 2 tenders. Plus head and cape.

I HATE going back for a second trip and have packed out every deer I’ve ever shot solo in one trip. And I don’t shoot small deer. This one trip is usually with rifle, tripod, BTX spotter, down jacket, game bags, knife, headlamp, extra ammo, water, a few snack bars etc. It’s sure nice to have a buddy with you but definitely not necessary. Im not saying this to brag about how strong I am. I’m 46 years old and in what I would consider decent shape so I just can’t understand how this is taking two trips? I can understand two trips if you have camp to pack out too but not a day hunt.

This is an entire deboned deer, head and cape plus all gear mentioned above.

237B1B85-72F2-4D9D-8369-C535BCFB9D34.jpeg

Never done a backpack hunt... Used to hunt rifle deer in Utah one day at a time, hiking out in the dark if necessary. I don't know how far from camp or the truck I ever was really, but I only ever dragged my whole deer out. In truth, someone from my family would end up finding me and helping at some point along the drag though... so, for me, it was one trip. But I can't imagine I ever dragged a deer more than a mile or so for my part. I was in really good shape in my 20s though... :D and I usually hiked UP in the morning, so most drags had quite a bit of downhill...

I guess it depends on how far in you are, deer is definitely doable in 1 trip though. Elk maybe 3 trips. How are liking that EXO pack. I have the exact one, I like it a lot. Awesome buck btw
I’ve tried a ton of packs and burn through them like crazy. The fact that I’ve been using this one for 5 years now says something.

My longest packout was about 5 miles with 4000 ft of elevation loss. Boned out the whole thing, took every scrap of meat but not the cape. Big body buck. I was able to get it out in 1 trip. Sucked, but I did it. I wish I had a better pack than I had, and more knowledge about loading and sizing my pack, but I got the job done.
BDA7A8EC-F556-43B3-87AE-C06F97D0D291.jpeg

CF7972E8-06CD-48AA-9FF6-F7F9C4236546.jpeg

My longest packout was about 5 miles with 4000 ft of elevation loss. Boned out the whole thing, took every scrap of meat but not the cape. Big body buck. I was able to get it out in 1 trip. Sucked, but I did it. I wish I had a better pack than I had, and more knowledge about loading and sizing my pack, but I got the job done.View attachment 103002

View attachment 103003
Nice!! I see what you're saying about loading the pack right. That pack would've felt a lot better if it was sitting about 6-9" higher on your back.

I always hunt with my son so it's definitely one trip with a deer. If I were still 46, and solo I'm sure I would try to make one trip. Not so much at my current age. I agree that going back for a second trip is a bite but it's not the end of the world.
Going back for a second trip after my son's elk was kinda relaxing and fun. While sawing the leg off one quarter, a big bull suddenly screamed in the trees 80 yds away. The sawing noise must have sounded to him like another bull raking. He was mad and kept screaming as he came in. That encounter was definitely worth the second trip!

I've packed out actually quite a few deer and almost all the elk I've ever killed and I'm telling you that a boned out deer, cape, head, rifle and all me gear weight right at 1287 Lbs.... by the end of the trail!!! haha

Zeke
Truth spoken. My daughter tells all her friends about how the best part of the hunt is when dad puts the tailgate down and the pack gets thrown in. And the sound of the cold white monster getting cracked open.

I always hunt with my son so it's definitely one trip with a deer. If I were still 46, and solo I'm sure I would try to make one trip. Not so much at my current age. I agree that going back for a second trip is a bite but it's not the end of the world.
Going back for a second trip after my son's elk was kinda relaxing and fun. While sawing the leg off one quarter, a big bull suddenly screamed in the trees 80 yds away. The sawing noise must have sounded to him like another bull raking. He was mad and kept screaming as he came in. That encounter was definitely worth the second trip!
Elk is definitely two trips and that's why I hate them!

Nice!! I see what you're saying about loading the pack right. That pack would've felt a lot better if it was sitting about 6-9" higher on your back.
Yeah, since that hunt, I've purchased a better pack that fits me, and learned how to adjust it appropriately when carrying heavy loads. Live and you learn!

I want to know what LBH is doing with a damn saw!!!
Don't you know where the joint is? haha

On a different note: Bro's nose still looks pretty bad after your encounter with him on Saturday.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So much for him trying to be helpful, right?

Zeke

I saw this thread on another forum and thought it was interesting. Most people were saying at least two trips and talking about 100+ lbs of cut and wrapped meat.

First of all, I call bull crap on a 100+ lbs of meat. I have packed out 100+ deer in my pack and I’ve never made two trips. The average deboned weight has never been more than 60 lbs. This is deboned 4 quarters, two backstraps, and 2 tenders. Plus head and cape.

I HATE going back for a second trip and have packed out every deer I’ve ever shot solo in one trip. And I don’t shoot small deer. This one trip is usually with rifle, tripod, BTX spotter, down jacket, game bags, knife, headlamp, extra ammo, water, a few snack bars etc. It’s sure nice to have a buddy with you but definitely not necessary. Im not saying this to brag about how strong I am. I’m 46 years old and in what I would consider decent shape so I just can’t understand how this is taking two trips? I can understand two trips if you have camp to pack out too but not a day hunt.

This is an entire deboned deer, head and cape plus all gear mentioned above.

View attachment 103000
I’ve always only made one trip with a full deboned deer including day pack, rifle, spotter, head and cape also! I can say that I’ve had a couple that boned out over 90lbs and last years buck I had 96lbs of boned out meat! I don’t like to waste any meat so this includes the rib meat, brisket and neck meat. Doesn’t matter if I’m 1 mile or more than 6. I’m 58 now and it’s getting harder and harder to do the heavy loads every year.

Sorry coyotes and scavengers! Lol

341A2917-0487-46F9-A6A7-E1E3000A010E.jpeg

I want to know what LBH is doing with a damn saw!!!
Don't you know where the joint is? haha

On a different note: Bro's nose still looks pretty bad after your encounter with him on Saturday.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So much for him trying to be helpful, right?

Zeke
For sure!
Tell him if he messes with my cartridges again I'll bust his chops!!!??:ROFLMAO:

I’ve always only made one trip with a full deboned deer including day pack, rifle, spotter, head and cape also! I can say that I’ve had a couple that boned out over 90lbs and last years buck I had 96lbs of boned out meat! I don’t like to waste any meat so this includes the rib meat, brisket and neck meat. Doesn’t matter if I’m 1 mile or more than 6. I’m 58 now and it’s getting harder and harder to do the heavy loads every year.

Sorry coyotes and scavengers! Lol

View attachment 103008
The coyotes and crows like me more than you.

deboned mule deer, horns/skull, no cape, plus backpack gear (3-5 day) is going to be 120lbs give or take a few. You will have bruises and be absolutely gassed after 6-7 miles but can do it no problem.

My longest packout was about 5 miles with 4000 ft of elevation loss. Boned out the whole thing, took every scrap of meat but not the cape. Big body buck. I was able to get it out in 1 trip. Sucked, but I did it. I wish I had a better pack than I had, and more knowledge about loading and sizing my pack, but I got the job done.View attachment 103002

View attachment 103003
Mighty white of the dude taking pics to help you pack-out Huh??

It certainly helps having a pack that is capable of 100+ lbs and knowing how to load meat and gear correctly. I weigh 145 lbs soaking wet and at 61 years of age need all the help I can get.

If you can pack a full 8 to 10 year old bull elk in 2 loads you are a lot more of a man than me!

I find one of the toughest chores packing alone is getting the load from the ground to standing upright. My biggest word of advice with 100+ lb loads on steep rocky terrain is trekking poles!

Mighty white of the dude taking pics to help you pack-out Huh??
He had my entire camp, and his entire camp on his back. We were packed in for a 7 day trip, and he carried out my tent, sleeping bag, food, spotter, water filter, etc. his pack weight a little less than mine, but not much.

I've packed multiple deer in a single trip solo but sometimes split it up into two trips if solo. I'll often default to two trips if it is a long walk back in the dark and I haven't hiked that route before. I've never regretted splitting it into two trips but I have regretted single trips on more than one occasion.

While hunting, I'm often packing at least 30lbs (sometimes 40lbs) of gear so my pack will often end up over 100lbs if adding cape, skull/antlers and boned out meat of a mature buck. I've had my pack loaded with a deer weigh over 120lbs occasionally but never more than 130lbs.

I've weighed the meat without bones multiple times and 70-80lbs is common for a mature buck. Some 5+ year old bucks will only net about 60lbs of meat but 80+lbs of meat isn't uncommon.
I've packed mature mule deer in multiple states and if you are only getting 60lbs of meat on average, I would say you have one of two problems.

#1 You are not shooting mature bucks (5+ year old bucks).
#2 You are leaving 10lbs or more of meat on the mountain on a regular basis.

Last year I killed one buck solo and packed it one trip and my pack was only about 100lbs (image below). Two other deer that I helped pack last year were with friends. One of those bucks had over 90lbs of "bone in" meat.

I've been leaving the bones in more often, especially when the pack is only a mile or so to a road. I process my own deer and feel I can keep the meat cleaner if I leave the bones in and have a lot less waste when I cut and wrap the meat later.

tempImagecktJ8E.png

I've packed multiple deer in a single trip solo but sometimes split it up into two trips if solo. I'll often default to two trips if it is a long walk back in the dark and I haven't hiked that route before. I've never regretted splitting it into two trips but I have regretted single trips on more than one occasion.

While hunting, I'm often packing at least 30lbs (sometimes 40lbs) of gear so my pack will often end up over 100lbs if adding cape, skull/antlers and boned out meat of a mature buck. I've had my pack loaded with a deer weigh over 120lbs occasionally but never more than 130lbs.

I've weighed the meat without bones multiple times and 70-80lbs is common for a mature buck. Some 5+ year old bucks will only net about 60lbs of meat but 80+lbs of meat isn't uncommon.
I've packed mature mule deer in multiple states and if you are only getting 60lbs of meat on average, I would say you have one of two problems.

#1 You are not shooting mature bucks (5+ year old bucks).
#2 You are leaving 10lbs or more of meat on the mountain on a regular basis.

Last year I killed one buck solo and packed it one trip and my pack was only about 100lbs (image below). Two other deer that I helped pack last year were with friends. One of those bucks had over 90lbs of "bone in" meat.

I've been leaving the bones in more often, especially when the pack is only a mile or so to a road. I process my own deer and feel I can keep the meat cleaner if I leave the bones in and have a lot less waste when I cut and wrap the meat later.

View attachment 103129
I don’t have a problem with either of those. I do shoot every one of my animals in the shoulder not behind it because I don’t like blood trails. The only blood trail I want is the one that’s laying underneath them when I roll them over. I do not pack out neck meat because I like my TMJ where it is

I don’t have a problem with either of those. I do shoot every one of my animals in the shoulder not behind it because I don’t like blood trails. The only blood trail I want is the one that’s laying underneath them when I roll them over. I do not pack out neck meat because I like my TMJ where it is
Soooooo I take it you don't care to eat venison, and packing the meat out is not as big of priority as the rack? I would rather brag I took two trips to recover all the meat I could. To each their own.

Damn shame leaving the meat behind. You’re missing out for sure. And would be breaking the law in some states so pay attention…

Shooting in the shoulder so you don’t want a blood trail is one of the stupidest things I’ve read in over 20 years of being on forums. And I’ve read my own posts ?

Respect for you being honest and knowing you’re going to get blow back on it. ?

I pack out all four quarters, backstraps and tenderloins. I take care to keep it as clean as possible. In Alaska I packed out EVERYTHING right down to the cheek meat. I process and eat all the meat or donate to those in need. I don’t see where I’m in any wrong.

My experience is that when I shoot IN the shoulder it’s all over. When I’ve shot things behind the shoulder there’s USUALLY a blood trail to follow. I don’t like blood trails. How is that stupid? To each their own. If your experience is different than mine then by all means shoot ‘em wherever you want. I really don’t care where you prefer to shoot things. You can shoot them straight in the ass and my birthday will still come and my wife is still hot.

Last edited:
I pack out all four quarters, backstraps and tenderloins. I take care to keep it as clean as possible. In Alaska I packed out EVERYTHING right down to the cheek meat. I process and eat all the meat or donate to those in need. I don’t see where I’m in any wrong.

My experience is that when I shoot IN the shoulder it’s all over. When I’ve shot things behind the shoulder there’s USUALLY a blood trail to follow. I don’t like blood trails. How is that stupid? To each their own. If your experience is different than mine then by all means shoot ‘em wherever you want. I really don’t care where you prefer to shoot things.
I think it's stupid because you are ruining the front shoulders/shank meat because you may have to follow a blood trail. To me that's stupid to try to ruin meat. I like to eat it too much. I don't think you're technically doing anything wrong, but I do think your logic is stupid.

I think it's stupid because you are ruining the front shoulders/shank meat because you may have to follow a blood trail. To me that's stupid to try to ruin meat. I like to eat it too much. I don't think you're technically doing anything wrong, but I do think your logic is stupid.
You can think it’s stupid. I think it’s stupid to shoot them behind the shoulder. But that’s MY opinion and you shouldn’t base what you do off that or anyone else’s.

I like to watch them drop. Too much risk (even though it’s small) IN MY OPINION, of losing an animal because they don’t bleed enough, or rain washes out the trail, or it’s too dark, or you don’t know where you hit them, should I wait an hour, two hours, 30 minutes? I don’t have to wonder any of that if I see them hit the dirt immediately. FOR ME, that little bit of wasted shoulder meat is worth the risk. I’ve lost one animal in my lifetime and I don’t ever want that to happen again. So FOR ME AND MY KIDS we will always shoot for the shoulder. You do whatever you want and I won’t care.

You can think it’s stupid. I think it’s stupid to shoot them behind the shoulder. But that’s MY opinion and you shouldn’t base what you do off that or anyone else’s.

I like to watch them drop. Too much risk (even though it’s small) IN MY OPINION, of losing an animal because they don’t bleed enough, or rain washes out the trail, or it’s too dark, or you don’t know where you hit them, should I wait an hour, two hours, 30 minutes? I don’t have to wonder any of that if I see them hit the dirt immediately. FOR ME, that little bit of wasted shoulder meat is worth the risk. I’ve lost one animal in my lifetime and I don’t ever want that to happen again. So FOR ME AND MY KIDS we will always shoot for the shoulder. You do whatever you want and I won’t care.
I usually aim under them. Because if I hit it, then I gotta pack it out.

That’s child abuse teaching your kids to shoot them in the shoulder.

Nothing wrong with shooting animals in the shoulder. Sometimes that is the best shot to take. It is more satisfying to see an animal drop from a shoulder shot than run off from a heart shot. Part of the reason I switched to using copper bullets more often was to loose less meat to blood shot. I'm not even going to feed my dogs meat with lead chunks in it.

Neck meat is highly variable. I have left it on occasion, especially when it is blood shot. Early season bucks don't have much and rutting bucks have a bunch of meat on their necks. I'll trim fat and tendons best I can off neck meat and then grind it down and turn it into pepperoni sticks.

As long as you are not breaking any laws, then I think it is up to the individual to decide if the the neck meat is worth it for them or not. I trim off some of the excess blood shot meat and don't keep any deer fat. Some might judge me for wasting deer fat and liver.

Where did I say I waste 1/3? I don’t take the neck meat. I’d love to see pics of the deer you shoot that 1/3 of its weight is the neck.

Where did I say I waste 1/3? I don’t take the neck meat. I’d love to see pics of the deer you shoot that 1/3 of its weight is the neck.
Well you don’t take the shoulder meat either….

What about the heart? Since you sure as hell don’t shoot them there….

Inside tenderloins?

Well you don’t take the shoulder meat either….

What about the heart? Since you sure as hell don’t shoot them there….

Inside tenderloins?
I take the shoulder meat. Very little is ruined with a high shoulder shot. I don’t eat guts and always take the tenderloins.

I didn’t realize how many head shooters there are. Do you find stopping the heart instantly effects the flavor at all?

If you're only packing out a max of 60lbs of untrimmed meat you're leaving a lot on the hill from a mature muedeer. I've taken a lot of animals and deer as well. Used to fly home cut and wrapped meat all the time. Every whitetails and muley I shot had between 50 and 80lb of cut and wrapped meat. Not boned out in a backpack, cut and wrapped. I know that because I was limited to 50lb per bag, and I always had more than would fit in a bag. I don't waste meat and trim off a bunch of edible stuff that most people are afraid of, que the neck meat tossers. I'd put money you waste the shanks and rib meat as well.

What ever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night.

Your post are so funny. You're always looking for some sort of recognition and ata boys for being a hero for one thing or another. It's either total scores of x number of deer, how many this or that or in this case how much meat you can waste off a deer. Hell if I left 5/6 of a moose in the field I'd get it all back in one trip too!

You're my hero Marley.

I'd bet @SS! packs out the nuts. That guy doesn't leave anything for the birds.

marley i have a neck meat recipe you should try.
it uses a table spoon or two of your choice of fat. then get those caned chipotle peppers and mash them up( or better make a molé of dried peppers). add salt to taste and throw in a crock pot. add water to almost cover the ingredients. 8 hours on low and when you get home from work it’s ready.
otherwise it’s great burger meat and completely worth the time. i’d guess i got an easy 10#s off my elk and that was with some was from the neck shot. thats a lot of $$ with these meat prices.

I always get my elk out in one trip. I may have to shoot it in two or three quarters, but always one trip.;)
That’s where I was going next Blue!

The more lead contamination, the lighter the packout until you’re left with just the head and back straps….a poachers preference…if they’re hungry at the time of kill.

How about a brain shot to the head? No wastage of meat and the critter will fall in its tracks.

If you can pack 8 to 10 year old bulls In 2 loads and mature muley bucks in 1 load you certainly can make a brain shot kill at 200 to 500+ yards?

That’s where I was going next Blue!

The more lead contamination, the lighter the packout until you’re left with just the head and back straps….a poachers preference…if they’re hungry at the time of kill.
Bloodtracker maybe you can spend a few days with no meat Marley and teach him how to track?

How about a brain shot to the head? No wastage of meat and the critter will fall in its tracks.

If you can pack 8 to 10 year old bulls In 2 loads and mature muley bucks in 1 load you certainly can make a brain shot kill at 200 to 500+ yards?
I misspoke with the elk. I've never killed an elk solo so when I said 2 trips, I meant 2 trips with 2 people.

If you're only packing out a max of 60lbs of untrimmed meat you're leaving a lot on the hill from a mature muedeer. I've taken a lot of animals and deer as well. Used to fly home cut and wrapped meat all the time. Every whitetails and muley I shot had between 50 and 80lb of cut and wrapped meat. Not boned out in a backpack, cut and wrapped. I know that because I was limited to 50lb per bag, and I always had more than would fit in a bag. I don't waste meat and trim off a bunch of edible stuff that most people are afraid of, que the neck meat tossers. I'd put money you waste the shanks and rib meat as well.

What ever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night.

Your post are so funny. You're always looking for some sort of recognition and ata boys for being a hero for one thing or another. It's either total scores of x number of deer, how many this or that or in this case how much meat you can waste off a deer. Hell if I left 5/6 of a moose in the field I'd get it all back in one trip too!

You're my hero Marley.

I'd bet @SS! packs out the nuts. That guy doesn't leave anything for the birds.
Shanks are part of the quarters which I've already stated that I pack out. I've already stated several times that I don't pack neck, rib meat, or guts (heart, liver, kidneys, balls). You can keep shaming but I've never left more than what I should've packed. If you want all that extra stuff and you eat it, great for you. You're MY hero Bambi.

You think my posts are stupid yet you read them, comment on them (most the time great stuff and good feedback, other times as a troll), and remember them ?. I try to start posts that provoke some thought and entertainment. Let's be honest, no one here besides Founder is reading these forums for work. The great thing about them is you can scroll right past the ones you think are stupid. Better yet Founder has made a way for you to block or ignore people you don't like. I'm bored today with all the snow so maybe I'll do a search of all your posts you've made looking for an "atta boy" and make that comment on every one of them to show you how hypocritical your post is.

6 trips for a moose!!!! You're the man! Atta boy!!! Mine took 7. You must have left something behind.

Marley, you made a post calling people out and got what often happens which is people calling you out. I would guess you are reasonable at packing out as much or more than the average person but what you were really looking for was people to say Ya that is really bullcrap no one is packing out that much meat they are full of crap. But what inspires most people to post is not agreeing with you rather it is what they dont agree with. And within your post whether you realize it fully or it is subconscious you have a need to brag. I dont shoot small deer.(Brag) I have only missed one in my life. (Brag) I have shot hundreds. (Brag) Which is fine, but if you didnt care what people thought you wouldnt be posting much of this. Or the post would not have included dropping those statements in like you did. If you would have said you shoot deer in the shoulder when the situation dictates( right at dark)(snowing or raining hard) etc people would have not thought a thing about it but the way you say it you are giving the picture of purposely ruining some meat. I picture a deer at 200 yards standing there on a sunny morning and you blast both shoulders when you could bust him in the lungs and he does a short burst and some backwards tiptoes and falls over dead with nothing wasted. And is dead when you get to him which is not always the case with a high shoulder shot. They go down impressively but are not always dead. At the end of the day we all live by slightly different or very different personal rules and we all have a different value system. And unlike other sports where it is pretty easy to distinguish who is good, great, professional etc hunting is much more difficult to judge.

It's ok No Meat Marley. This thread didn't go as planned. I call people like to donaters. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I'm flattered you stalked me.

Nothing wrong with shooting animals in the shoulder. Sometimes that is the best shot to take. It is more satisfying to see an animal drop from a shoulder shot than run off from a heart shot. Part of the reason I switched to using copper bullets more often was to loose less meat to blood shot. I'm not even going to feed my dogs meat with lead chunks in it.

Neck meat is highly variable. I have left it on occasion, especially when it is blood shot. Early season bucks don't have much and rutting bucks have a bunch of meat on their necks. I'll trim fat and tendons best I can off neck meat and then grind it down and turn it into pepperoni sticks.

As long as you are not breaking any laws, then I think it is up to the individual to decide if the the neck meat is worth it for them or not. I trim off some of the excess blood shot meat and don't keep any deer fat. Some might judge me for wasting deer fat and liver.
Run off from a heart shot….?

Bloodtracker maybe you can spend a few days with no meat Marley and teach him how to track?
Buddies elk blood trail on left….7mm mag
My elk blood trail on right…300 RUM

Btw, no meat was harmed with the jugular shot. Elk did not go anywhere outside of 25 ft from shot. Even the neck roast was fine

87E53284-4997-4AEE-AB47-0788FA452E72.jpeg

Last edited:
"I don't shoot small deer.(Brag)"

When talking about poundage of meat carried do you not think it important to let your audience know that I'm not talking about spikes and two points? This would obviously change the amount of meat.

"I have only missed one in my life. (Brag)"

I didn't say "MISSED one in my life", I said "LOST one in my life". Also important to note when trying to explain why I don't shoot behind the shoulder. I don't want to lose another.

"I have shot hundreds. (Brag)"

I didn't say "I have shot hundreds." I said, "PACKED out 100+". This would include mine, my kids, my grandpa's, my dad's etc. Also an important mention to establish an average. (Disclaimer: I have not weighed every pack in 20+ years)

Last edited:
@Bambistew im sitting here looking back at past trips. Which was worse? Leaving the boone and Crockett bou or the late night pack out with two sheep? Or the first time I took you shed hunting ?

Hahahhaa

University of Wyoming conducted a great study on meat yield.
Here is a table showing some of the study results.
1676483307990.png

These results were from deer that had hung for 14 days so there is some lost weight from the aging process.

I have found my weights to be about 10% less than the study weights for actual meat going in the freezer but they are pretty comparable for pack weight.

An interesting thing from the study is that there are significant differences in deer weights by region. Where a guy hunts can really have an impact on how much meat he is packing off the mountain.

View attachment 103196

These results were from deer that had hung for 14 days so there is some lost weight from the aging process.

I have found my weights to be about 10% less than the study weights for actual meat going in the freezer but they are pretty comparable for pack weight.

An interesting thing from the study is that there are significant differences in deer weights by region. Where a guy hunts can really have an impact on how much meat he is packing off the mountain.

Very interesting. I'm sure if these were hung for 14 days that it includes everything right down to the cheek meat. I don't think I've packed out a deer whole since I was a teenager, before I even knew how to quarter an animal. Those drags nowadays would kill me.

View attachment 103196

Can you post link to study

Run off from a heart shot….?
You know what I meant. They can and do run off from heart shots. They won't make it too far though and the blood trail can be impressive.

Top pictures are the blood trail and heart from a buck I killed in 2022. That buck made it about 100 yards and sprayed a thick blood trail the entire way. I actually shot him twice in the heart and 3rd shot in the lungs. Hight shoulder would have been a one shot kill. I keep shooting if they are on their feet.
tempImageGml5bU.png

tempImagetskkbN.png

Last picture is the blood trail from a buck my nephew shot in the heart with my gun last year. That buck made it almost 100 yards. Deer ran off into the trees and we didn't know 100% he was dead until we walked over to him.
tempImageymZFCN.png

In 2021 a different nephew of mine used my gun and did a heart shot on a buck. That deer made it about 150 yards and took us 15 minutes to find due to thick brush and fog. I also shot a buck in 2021 that hit the top of the heart. That buck made a death run of about 75 yards.

I've seen deer and elk stay on their feet for more than a minute after a nice double lung shot behind the shoulder. Hitting them in the shoulder with a quality bullet/adequate cartridge will put them down right were they stand. In ideal situations, I try not to shoot them in the shoulder to save meat but don't pass on quartering shots. I also try to shoot all coyotes in the shoulder. I've seen multiple coyotes run 50 to 100 yards with behind the shoulder shots with their lungs completely blown out.

You know what I meant. They can and do run off from heart shots. They won't make it too far though and the blood trail can be impressive.

Top pictures are the blood trail and heart from a buck I killed in 2022. That buck made it about 100 yards and sprayed a thick blood trail the entire way. I actually shot him twice in the heart and 3rd shot in the lungs. Hight shoulder would have been a one shot kill. I keep shooting if they are on their feet.
View attachment 103200
View attachment 103201

Last picture is the blood trail from a buck my nephew shot in the heart with my gun last year. That buck made it almost 100 yards. Deer ran off into the trees and we didn't know 100% he was dead until we walked over to him.
View attachment 103202

In 2021 a different nephew of mine used my gun and did a heart shot on a buck. That deer made it about 150 yards and took us 15 minutes to find due to thick brush and fog. I also shot a buck in 2021 that hit the top of the heart. That buck made a death run of about 75 yards.

I've seen deer and elk stay on their feet for more than a minute after a nice double lung shot behind the shoulder. Hitting them in the shoulder with a quality bullet/adequate cartridge will put them down right were they stand. In ideal situations, I try not to shoot them in the shoulder to save meat but don't pass on quartering shots. I also try to shoot all coyotes in the shoulder. I've seen multiple coyotes run 50 to 100 yards with behind the shoulder shots with their lungs completely blown out.
That’s A bunch of biased BS. Lots of animals shot in the shoulder get away. If you think a shoulder shot is more ethical than taking out the lungs/heart the discussion can end. I would agree with you but then we both would be wrong.

View attachment 103196

Nice solid proof. I haven't weighed all the meat I've packed from most of the deer I've killed but I wouldn't be surprised if I've had 100lbs of meat from more than one buck. Some the Colorado deer can be absolute hogs. The buck I helped my nephew with in Idaho last year was also one of the bigger deer I've helped pack.

That’s A bunch of biased BS. Lots of animals shot in the shoulder get away. If you think a shoulder shot is more ethical than taking out the lungs/heart the discussion can end. I would agree with you but then we both would be wrong.
Doesn’t a shoulder shot take out the lungs too? ?

I didn't say it was more ethical for deer. I even said in ideal situations I don't aim for the shoulder. I just said the shoulder shot was more likely to drop the animal where they stand. Unless a shoulder hit is too high, it will take out both lungs. Shoulder shots are absolutely deadly on a deer. You could make a different argument with other animals but this thread is is the deer forum and discussing deer.

My daughter shot a cow last year at 437 yards, right in the crease of the shoulder, perfectly broadside, went through both lungs and the bullet was just under the hide on the far side. My son videoed the whole thing from behind us from shot to fall and it’s 3 minutes long and she went 200 yards. She traveled through fresh snow and walking her path there wasn’t a single drop of blood until I was 5 yards from her. Luckily it was in a burn so I was able to watch her fall. Otherwise it would’ve been a long night looking for her. 4 or 5 inches to the right and I would bet she would’ve dropped where she stood. She didn’t make a bad shot by any means but we talked about the placement and why the shoulder is preferred FOR US.

This thread has been an interesting read. I grew up primarily hunting deer and we shot them in the shoulder and dragged them out whole. When we killed elk, we would quarter them up with a saw. For the last 10 years, I have used the gutless method on all of the animals I have killed, including two mature bull elk with my bow. We always take the quarters, backstraps and tenderloins. Depending on the animal, we may take neck meat. We never take the heart or liver.

As far as I am concerned, we are complying with the law and respecting the animal. If other guys want to pack out rib meat and the heart and liver, more power to them. If I were hunting in Alaska or another state that required me to do more, I would know the rules and comply.

I don't know why guys get so bent out of shape if others do things differently them them. I am not offended by anything that Marley or anyone else posted in this thread. Live and let live!

Hawkeye

My daughter shot a cow last year at 437 yards, right in the crease of the shoulder, perfectly broadside, went through both lungs and the bullet was just under the hide on the far side. My son videoed the whole thing from behind us from shot to fall and it’s 3 minutes long and she went 200 yards. She traveled through fresh snow and walking her path there wasn’t a single drop of blood until I was 5 yards from her. Luckily it was in a burn so I was able to watch her fall. Otherwise it would’ve been a long night looking for her. 4 or 5 inches to the right and I would bet she would’ve dropped where she stood. She didn’t make a bad shot by any means but we talked about the placement and why the shoulder is preferred FOR US.
Shouldn't have used a Creedmoor

I'm just joking with you. It helps prove my point that a double lung shot doesn't always result in a quick death.

Not that my opinion or method matters. But I try to shoot behind the shoulder facing me and into the opposite shoulder. This requires a slightly quartering away angle and hits the best of both worlds. Like my Mtn Goat year before last. I wanted him to drop dead and not go 40 to 50 yards up and over to end up rolling into no man’s land.

Man, lots of science and geometry that goes into killing an animal!

What does a firing squad do for an execution? They seem to not leave a blood trail. Maybe that is the answer to all the whining and accusations on here lol!

What does a firing squad do for an execution? They seem to not leave a blood trail. Maybe that is the answer to all the whining and accusations on here lol!
I always look for the ones tied to a tree. Especially those huge trophies.

They tie them to a pole

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom