How much would you pay??

M

muleymaster

This year i went shed hunting to a favorite spot of mine and stumbled into a brown shed with a little blood on it. Right after i picked it up i started looking around for the match. I found it, still on the bucks head! I watched him disapear from sight knowing it wasnt going to be long before he dropped the other side. Well I worked all the next week, then had drill for the Idaho Air National Guard that weekend so i couldnt go up until two weekends later. I hiked a good 10 15 miles all over that area and never found it. Time went by and Actually a guy on here said he saw a pic of the other side to a pic i posted. It was on another website. I was able to track the guy down and turns out the guy that found it lives where i grew up about an hour from me. We talked for a long time about the sheds we both have and came to an agreement.

He wants $200 bucks for the shed. his side scores 92in gross and my side scores 87in gross. It has an inline fifth that has to be deducted but when i saw the buck he looked to have a 28in spread. that puts him at 200in plus or minus net! I want to have the set mounted but dont know if i can afford $200 bucks right now with work slow and trying to save for a new bow.

would you buy it and how much would you pay??? need some advice.

here are some pics, the first is my half, the second is his half.
photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

I would pay how ever much it took if I really wanted it. Is the shed worth 200? No! but it is when someone wants to match it up and have the set. I would do it in a heart beat

I think this guy is over priced for this shed. If I were you I would not by for 2 reasons. First this guy knows you need this shed so that is why it is over priced. I think he is asking too much. Second if it were me I would feel a whole lot better if I found both sides. IDK just my 2 cents.

Those are nice antlers...but...I think you need to do your math a little netter...he won't net over 200..

I found a big elk single after i seen 3 dudes walking up the mt. with one side. The other side was about 100 yards below them and they was going high. so i ran up and grabbed it! He got in touch with me and i told him i wanted 300 for it about a week later he said he had the money but then i really didnt want to sell it so i told him 400 and he didnt want it anymore.
I know i was way high but these kids put alot of pressure on the elk and if he really wanted it he would pay what i wanted!

So if he wants 200 give it to him befor it goes up.

hornkiller.jpg

That antler is worth maybe $75 or so tops. The ONLY person in the world that it's worth more to is you and maybe him? I wouldn't pay him a penny for it though. You found the first side so he should just hand it over at no charge. Tell him the next time it might be you that finds the 2nd side and you will return the favor. That or maybe you can just trade him for a similar sized antler maybe? Man greed and money just seems to screw everything up anymore...

Good luck,

NvrEnuf

>That antler is worth maybe $75
>or so tops. The
>ONLY person in the world
>that it's worth more to
>is you and maybe him?
> I wouldn't pay him
>a penny for it though.
> You found the first
>side so he should just
>hand it over at no
>charge. Tell him the
>next time it might be
>you that finds the 2nd
>side and you will return
>the favor. That or
>maybe you can just trade
>him for a similar sized
>antler maybe? Man greed
>and money just seems to
>screw everything up anymore...
>
>Good luck,
>
>NvrEnuf

+1 Thats how we do it as well. Whoever found it first gets them both. I guess you have to ask yourself if you would rather have a bow or an antler. But.....if it keeps you up at night knowing that the other side is so close, I would just buy it or trade him some money and a few other sheds for it.

we horn hunt alot & we have our normal group of guys that we go horn hunting with.. if one of us finds a horn & than someone else in the group finds the other side later the person that found the 1st side gets the set...I would not just GIVE someone else that I didnt know the other side to a set just because he says he found his side 1st!! if you want his side that bad pay him for it if not sell your side too him..or hang it on your wall

I would say just give your side to the other guy....he needs it more than you do anyway lol

For those saying antlers arent worth that much....you aparently dont find anything that big....or arent smart enough to try and get more out of a horn buyer (or arent dealing with the right horn buyer/collector) Horns like this arent just laying behind every bush (especially in Idaho)

A guy I work with had this delema same as muleymaster and myself.....he ended up selling his side (86" brown 4pt to the guy that had the other side 87" brown 4pt) for more than $200....it really isnt even about the money for either side....kinda hard for either of us to give up the biggest brown deer horn we have found....and muley forgot to mention I came down from the $350 I started at lol

And by the way I sold a CHALK 4pt deer horn a couple of years ago for $500 and it wasnt much bigger than either of these horns....like I said find the right buyer/collector

If I were you, I would make a hell of an effort to find next years sheds. If he survives he'll probably shed in the same area.

x2 to what OLDHORNHUNTER said... I'm having the same problem with a guy right now. I have an 83 inch shed with a 6 inch hook cheater on it and I've spoken to the guy who found the match and am trying to work out a deal with him for it. His horn is about 88 inches and has a 12 inch cheater on it. It would be my best set to date and I would love to do a european mount with it. It all really depends how much you want it. Sure by weight it's not worth 200$, but you have to ask yourself how much is the memory of seeing the buck packing that side still and knowing who has it worth to you.

If I didnt find it I wouldnt want it,wait till you have a set YOU found to mount,it will mean much more.

\"I actually agree with NONYA on this."
MTMuley

BTW thats one hell of a chunk of pedicle stuck on that shed,have a better pic of the base?

"I actually agree with NONYA on this."
MTMuley

Very nice set. I collect antlers because I admire the animal that dropped it and certain bucks and thier antlers become centimental. On one hand, I would buy it because of the time and effort that I put forth to find it. And you did actually find it! Sometimes a little detective work to find the other side with another person is just as rewarding as finding it up on the mountain. If I couldn't reach an agreement with the other person then I'd sell him my half. (Normally I'd give my half to the other person but if they are trying to sell thier side to me then "what comes around goes around.")
This year I found a nice 177" set and realized that a friend of mine had killed the buck this last hunting season. He had grown from a 177" buck to a 218" inch buck with double droppers. I was thrilled to to have found it and couldn't wait to mount the set on a Mountain Mike's skull kit. But when I realized that it came from the buck that my friend had killed I decided that it would be cool for him to have a previous set of shed antlers from his trophy. So I gave them to him and never looked back. That friend was very happy to have the set and I feel good for giving them to him because when you break it all down, they're just antlers.
So with that being said, I would gladly pay the $200.00. Not because they are worth that much but because of the centimental value that you have for it. If it does not work out then let it go and be happy somebody else has both sides to admire. fatrooster.

Whatever you guys work out don't break up the set. Don't know if it is true but every one says it's bad ju ju if you break up a set. Any one else hear about this rule?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-11 AT 02:53PM (MST)[p]Heres a very fair idea. Both of you write down on a piece of paper what you're willing to pay for the other side. Then togeter open the paper, and who ever write the highest bid buys the match. You'll get the match if you think the set is worth more than him.

Yelum

i fully agree with rooster when me and my buddies pick up sheds who ever finds the first side gets the match if it is found. what goes around comes around if you give a good one up eventually you will get to match up a good set in return. But deffinately keep the set together i personally have a set that i found one side and went to look again for it the next day and ran into a kid that had found the other side he didnt want to sell it but eventually i got it for fifty bucks. i still have it and enjoy it fully.

Thanks a lot everyone. To have the set would mean a ton and be a goal to beat. I would be willing to pay the 200 for it when i have the money. He is also willing to pay 200 for mine. He said he would only sell to me and he had 3 other offers already. That says a lot about the guy

I've got a friend that picked up a nice fresh brown 86" typical with no eye guard. We went out 3 or 4 more times, but couldn't find the other side. The next year another friend and I went back to see what we could find and he was lucky enough to find that other side. It scored 89". Our rule is, the smaller side goes to the finder of the larger side. Todd was really happy to find the big side, but he was even happier when Larry gave him that smaller side to match it up.

I would work out some way of paying the $200. Maybe you could work out some kind of payment plan. But don't let those matches stay apart for very long. You don't want the JUJU to get you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom