How times have changed.

Horsecorn

Very Active Member
This was taken right in front of the high school on the front steps on our lunch hour. (1979) They wanted a pic for the year book. A friend and I just got back from hunting pheasants on lunch break. So I took my shotgun to get in the pic for yearbook. Do you think that would fly today? They would have us in jail. We were the last free generation. Now it’s all gone.

IMG_5225.jpeg

This was taken right in front of the high school on the front steps on our lunch hour. (1979) They wanted a pic for the year book. A friend and I just got back from hunting pheasants on lunch break. So I took my shotgun to get in the pic for yearbook. Do you think that would fly today? They would have us in jail. We were the last free generation. Now it’s all gone.

View attachment 144762
You were pretty studious!! Quite often we would not come back to school from a lunch break shooting quail. 😎😎

I was in high school at that time as well. most of us had a rifle , shotgun and a lariat in our pickup gun rack because you might need any one at any time . and we were parked in the school parking lot on school grounds.

I wonder if you can even buy a pickup rifle rack anymore? I remember San Angelo was the one to have.

I was in high school at that time as well. most of us had a rifle , shotgun and a lariat in our pickup gun rack because you might need any one at any time . and we were parked in the school parking lot on school grounds.

I wonder if you can even buy a pickup rifle rack anymore? I remember San Angelo was the one to have.
Yes San Angelo for sure. Just make sure you make sheepskin covers for the gun racks.

Yup, same generation. Still have the truck with the gunrack in the back window.

Say, were you the one with the mullett?

I got kicked off the school bus for a month when I was in high school, so I had to walk, I took the long route down by the river, I would make it to school about 2:30 in the afternoon.😇 I also had the keys somehow to the towns swimming pool, had a lot of fun turning on that water slide when the bars closed. It’s hard to believe that picture is 47 years old.
IMG_0854.jpeg

Right On Horsecorn!

Wish We Could Go Back In Time!

This BS Our Kids & Grand-Kids Have Gotta Put Up With Is Something We Don't Wanna See!

It Was A Different World!

View attachment 144762
Yes this goes along with guns in your back window. bring them to work so you could hunt after work,
When I was ten my Dad said if you finish your chores and homework you can go hunt down at the Jordan River for Pheasants and ducks. So off I go with my shotgun on my handlebars riding down 59th South to the river. If that happened today the parents grandparents everyone would go to jail.
Sadly those days are long gone I believe that if I done half of what I done when I was a kid now I probably be in jail...LOL

Kind Of A THANKS MANNY Deal But I Like It!

Born in 1947, two years after WWII. I was raised with a .22 single shot as a constant companion.

After college, due to choices my wife and I made, we were fortunate enough to raise 5 children….. who pretty much lived the same life style. We sacrificed higher incomes, brighter lights, and sidewalks so our family could ride those bikes, carry those guns, learn independence, and how to problem solve. They have pretty much done the same with our 12 grandchildren. I have one great granddaughter and she’s fortunate enough to have a father and mother who are making sure she is raised that way as well.

We call it the “Help yourself” ideology. They weren’t at all impressed with it when they were young, but they understand now that they’re older.

I see others, where I live, still living by that ideology, with the exception of taking a gun to school, still living free to roam and play outdoors, skin their knees, burn their fingers, find their way home, and most importantly, learn to think for themselves. The life style is still available, to a great degree, for people who want it more than money and bright lights.

However, there certainly is great pressure, from many sides, to end this lifestyle in North America. Sad to watch it happen.

Born in 1947, two years after WWII. I was raised with a .22 single shot as a constant companion.

After college, due to choices my wife and I made, we were fortunate enough to raise 5 children….. who pretty much lived the same life style. We sacrificed higher incomes, brighter lights, and sidewalks so our family could ride those bikes, carry those guns, learn independence, and how to problem solve. They have pretty much done the same with our 12 grandchildren. I have one great granddaughter and she’s fortunate enough to have a father and mother who are making sure she is raised that way as well.

We call it the “Help yourself” ideology. They weren’t at all impressed with it when they were young, but they understand now that they’re older.

I see others, where I live, still living by that ideology, with the exception of taking a gun to school, still living free to roam and play outdoors, skin their knees, burn their fingers, find their way home, and most importantly, learn to think for themselves. The life style is still available, to a great degree, for people who want it more than money and bright lights.

However, there certainly is great pressure, from many sides, to end this lifestyle in North America. Sad to watch it happen.
Right Lumpy? I’m counting the days until I can leave the fruit loops of the Wasatch front to finish ruining this place and retire to Sevier County. Already have a place, just need to work up the nerve to say “I’m done” and leave this sh!t hole in the rear view!

Right Lumpy? I’m counting the days until I can leave the fruit loops of the Wasatch front to finish ruining this place and retire to Sevier County. Already have a place, just need to work up the nerve to say “I’m done” and leave this sh!t hole in the rear view!
You’re one I’d whole heartily welcome here. Where’s your place down this way. PM if you’d rather.

Glenwood is quiet and other than Koosharem, closest to Fish Lake😁😁. Course, they don’t sell fuel or burgers here but it’s still a good trade off. You can pee on your own grass here………🤪 I think eelgrass and wizard made me do a full disclosed post on that a couple years ago.

I know, it’s hard to give up that money and those bright lights Shadow…… but you’ll know when you’ve had enough of the slop pail sloshing out onto yours boots and get back to the good life. There were still a few mulies in the yard last night but the cheatgrass is greening up pretty quick. It’ll be purple soon enough I expect, so they’ll heading higher any day.

It will Be a good time when you do it brother.

Lumpy, we bought an acre 2 years ago, over in town. Debated hard on the piece across from the church in Glenwood the year before.
Still kicking myself for passing in that one. Good thing though, I’m close enough I can walk to Larsons for my biscuits and gravy lol!
2 Lumpy we got another one.
I have told my wife I have always wanted to live in a town that the road goes to it but doesn't go through it, if you come there you have a reason, no traveler's.

Back in the 1980's the FFA had the sweatheart ball and they would elect a queen sweetheart, part of getting elected the FFA would have a assembly and the sweethearts would have to do a talent.
The year I was a freshman the assembly was set up as if it was a tv show and each class would have to do a skit as if it was a commercial.
Well, some of you guys probably remember the Rainier Beer commercials, myself and two of my buddies decide we are going to do a Rainier Deer Beer commercial.
My one buddy reloaded some shotgun shells and dumbed down the powder and then packed toilet paper in place of the lead shot (he had found out if you packed the toilet paper that it packed tighter than paper towels and it had more velocity). We talked are one buddy into getting into a cardboard box that we made the box look like a Rainier Beer bottle and stuck some shed antlers into the box, and me and my other buddy sat on the front row of the Auditorium with are shotguns loaded with the toilet paper loaded bullets.
As our friend came out on stage, I yelled, "There's a Rainer Deer," and my other buddy yelled out "shoot him." We bolthed jumped up and shot the Rainer Deer Beer.
Now i don't know how many of you have ever heard a shotgun go off in a Auditorium it is really loud, and that toilet paper was packed tight enough that it went right through the box and left some nasty welts on my friend.
Needles to say the next 3 years of high school we was never allowed to be part of another assembly.

Back in the 1980's the FFA had the sweatheart ball and they would elect a queen sweetheart, part of getting elected the FFA would have a assembly and the sweethearts would have to do a talent.
The year I was a freshman the assembly was set up as if it was a tv show and each class would have to do a skit as if it was a commercial.
Well, some of you guys probably remember the Rainier Beer commercials, myself and two of my buddies decide we are going to do a Rainier Deer Beer commercial.
My one buddy reloaded some shotgun shells and dumbed down the powder and then packed toilet paper in place of the lead shot (he had found out if you packed the toilet paper that it packed tighter than paper towels and it had more velocity). We talked are one buddy into getting into a cardboard box that we made the box look like a Rainier Beer bottle and stuck some shed antlers into the box, and me and my other buddy sat on the front row of the Auditorium with are shotguns loaded with the toilet paper loaded bullets.
As our friend came out on stage, I yelled, "There's a Rainer Deer," and my other buddy yelled out "shoot him." We bolthed jumped up and shot the Rainer Deer Beer.
Now i don't know how many of you have ever heard a shotgun go off in a Auditorium it is really loud, and that toilet paper was packed tight enough that it went right through the box and left some nasty welts on my friend.
Needles to say the next 3 years of high school we was never allowed to be part of another assembly.
That’s a good one.☝️

Hey notdon?

You gonna Be The Rainier Deer Next time?

That’s a good one.☝️
Things you could get away with back in the 1980s when your FFA advisor slept through class and only had one good eye.
But he was a hell of an FFA advisor. In most the years that he was an advisor he had at least one team that took state in some form of judging, and he always had right at the top in Utah the most State Farmers.
A couple years after I graduated he was riding a four wheeler and hit a stump, he flew off and hit his head on a log, killed him instantly.

Things you could get away with back in the 1980s when your FFA advisor slept through class and only had one good eye.
But he was a hell of an FFA advisor. In most the years that he was an advisor he had at least one team that took state in some form of judging, and he always had right at the top in Utah the most State Farmers.
A couple years after I graduated he was riding a four wheeler and hit a stump, he flew off and hit his head on a log, killed him instantly.
wow....cool story......

Back in the day tge school district owned 20 acres that they planned on building a future junior high. Our FFA advisor git the school to allow the FFA to farm the 20 acres.
He bought a old pull behind swother and a old 80lb baler.
Each year he would go find a farmer with a old tractor that did not run good, some didn't run at all. He would bring in that tractor to Ag Mechanics and the class would rebuild the tractor, even repaint the tractor.
Part of the deal was the FFA would be able to use the tractor for the year to farm the 20 acres. Every kid would have to cone and help farm the crop. We would take turns swathing and balling. We would then load it on to a flat bed trailer and hall it to whoever bought the hay. It allowed kids that was not raised on a farm learn how to work a farm.
We would use some of the money and do a horse trail ride every summer, he would find a horse and tack fir every kid that wanted to go, and we would eat like kings, steaks every night.

Can you remember your FFA initiation? Mine involved a chickens butt, a rusty machete, some ice and some bull testicles (removed).

View attachment 144762
I used to do the same thing. A friend and I purposely had study hall first period. We would skip that class and shoot a pheasant or two then head to school with the guns still in the gun rack. At lunch we would clean the birds. We used to walk the Rail Road tracks which would get you in trouble today. I also remember kids shooting deer on the way to school and they had them loaded in the back of the truck in the school parking lot.

The youth of today are dressing up as cats and shi#&@ in litter boxes at school and think a man can get pregnant. We are screwed as a country.

One of our FFA fund raisers in the late 70's was a slave sale. you'd get auctioned off and do whatever work you were told to do for a Saturday.

A couple of the kids went up on the block in shorts and full black out face and all. everyone thought it was funny and they got bid up extra. somehow I see that playing out differently today.

No FFA at my school. We were bailing hay, milking cows, castrating calves, docking sheep, feeding hogs long before high school. Didn’t learn to weld though, you need electricity for that.

I used to do the same thing. A friend and I purposely had study hall first period. We would skip that class and shoot a pheasant or two then head to school with the guns still in the gun rack. At lunch we would clean the birds. We used to walk the Rail Road tracks which would get you in trouble today. I also remember kids shooting deer on the way to school and they had them loaded in the back of the truck in the school parking lot.

The youth of today are dressing up as cats and shi#&@ in litter boxes at school and think a man can get pregnant. We are screwed as a country.
How come a guy would get in trouble for walking railroad tracks today.? Is there a problem with that

Yes this goes along with guns in your back window. bring them to work so you could hunt after work,
When I was ten my Dad said if you finish your chores and homework you can go hunt down at the Jordan River for Pheasants and ducks. So off I go with my shotgun on my handlebars riding down 59th South to the river. If that happened today the parents grandparents everyone would go to jail.
Sadly those days are long gone I believe that if I done half of what I done when I was a kid now I probably be in jail...LOL
DH,
What school did you go to and what year did you graduate?’
I went to West Jordan High and graduated in ‘87.
If I had good grades my parents would let me hunt the Jordan River at the bottom of Winchester Hill in Taylorsville and hunt downstream until we had our birds.
In high school we also had an FFA and a VICA trap team.
I shot on both teams and we travelled around competing against other teams.
In ‘87 we could walk in to school with our shotguns in one hand and shells in the other to put in our lockers.
During Deer season we could leave our rifles and muzzys safely in our trucks.
I live in Riverton Utah now and our high school has a trap team but you definitely don’t carry your shotgun and shells in to school anymore.
The other day I bought my little grandsons a $1 tube of bb’s from WalMart to shoot paper at my duck club and Walmart age checked a 55 year old Dude for the bb’s!!
We are pathetic…..

DH,
What school did you go to and what year did you graduate?’
I went to West Jordan High and graduated in ‘87.
If I had good grades my parents would let me hunt the Jordan River at the bottom of Winchester Hill in Taylorsville and hunt downstream until we had our birds.
In high school we also had an FFA and a VICA trap team.
I shot on both teams and we travelled around competing against other teams.
In ‘87 we could walk in to school with our shotguns in one hand and shells in the other to put in our lockers.
During Deer season we could leave our rifles and muzzys safely in our trucks.
I live in Riverton Utah now and our high school has a trap team but you definitely don’t carry your shotgun and shells in to school anymore.
The other day I bought my little grandsons a $1 tube of bb’s from WalMart to shoot paper at my duck club and Walmart age checked a 55 year old Dude for the bb’s!!
We are pathetic…..
Walmart fun fact: they make a 60 something yo guy show ID to buy spray paint, but anyone can walk right up and buy a pound of powder. No red lights, associates - nothing.

God bless America :)

I had a '51 Willys station wagon in high school and during hunting season I always had my rifle in the back. My buddy and I would often hunt early in the morning before school. If we got a buck, we would skip school and take care of the deer. No big deal. Hunting was a big part of our lives back then as it is now. I still hunt with the same guy after all these years all though now it's more about talking about hunting and getting the kids out in the woods.

A successful hunt from '67 .

File0003a.jpg

Was The Boat Used On That Hunt?

I had a '51 Willys station wagon in high school and during hunting season I always had my rifle in the back. My buddy and I would often hunt early in the morning before school. If we got a buck, we would skip school and take care of the deer. No big deal. Hunting was a big part of our lives back then as it is now. I still hunt with the same guy after all these years all though now it's more about talking about hunting and getting the kids out in the woods.

A successful hunt from '67 .

View attachment 145660

Back in 1984 my wife and I were living in the Sacramento area. We wanted to get a little 5th wheel RV trailer. I was reading the newspaper and found the model we wanted, on sale. So we drove over to Cal Worthington (and his dog Spot) Chevy. The salesman came out and showed us the RV. He mentioned if we bought it he would throw in a Weatherby rifle or shotgun, whichever one I wanted. You couldn't beat that deal !

So the next day I get a call from the salesman telling me he could not give me the Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Mag. Some kind of law about giving it away. Could I come back and give him a dollar? No problem !

I bet they don't give any guns away in California anymore.

Back in 1984 my wife and I were living in the Sacramento area. We wanted to get a little 5th wheel RV trailer. I was reading the newspaper and found the model we wanted, on sale. So we drove over to Cal Worthington (and his dog Spot) Chevy. The salesman came out and showed us the RV. He mentioned if we bought it he would throw in a Weatherby rifle or shotgun, whichever one I wanted. You couldn't beat that deal !

So the next day I get a call from the salesman telling me he could not give me the Weatherby Vanguard 300 Win Mag. Some kind of law about giving it away. Could I come back and give him a dollar? No problem !

I bet they don't give any guns away in California anymore.
Cal Worthington Chevrolet man that is going back in time I bought my 1976 jeep from him

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom