How to keep bears off my tree cam?

ThrowingLead

Question? Can bears smell my scent after handling and setting up tree cams? I recently set up half a dozen cameras last week and a few days ago I had a bear rip 3 out of the 6 cameras off the tree. I use a lock and cable and the sob broke that and drug my cameras around. I managed to find them (broken but still work) so what's the deal? I've been setting cams in this same spot for 3 years and have seen bears on my camera but they never bothered with them. I read online to try spraying the cams with scent lock spray? I was thinking I might hang a scent waffer on it but I'd like to see if any of you have had similar problems and how to keep the bears from massacring my cameras. Thanks

Plenty of plastics today have a soy base. Lotta wiring harnesses gettin chewed up by rabbits on cars.

#livelikezac

If you run black plastic pipe for water out in the hills and don't bury it, bears will come along and chew on it and put holes in it.

Burying your trail cam probably wouldn't be an option though. :)

Bears have the best nose. Its 100x better than a hound dog. so they will smell your hands on that camera. If you ate something hours ago and it may still be on your hands, they will smell it. They will smell your hands on the camera. that is what draws them to it. Wipe it off the best you can, spray it scent lock. BUT DO NOT PUT A WAFER by it. That will only draw them to it.

>If you run black plastic pipe
>for water out in the
>hills and don't bury it,
>bears will come along and
>chew on it and put
>holes in it.
>

Something only a pot farmer would know. ;)

A small squirt bottle of ammonia will deter bears from just about anything. Works good for trail cams, garbage cans and around the cabin, and a friend who does float trips in Alaska says it even works around camps for brown bears.

bears can smell the chinaman that assembled the camera.....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

One thing that has helped us is just getting them 7-8 feet off the ground and angle it down. We are also religious about setting cameras before handling bate. They will still play with them, but we haven't had one destroyed like when we had them lower. You put them at eye level it's like a challenge for them to see how bad they can inflict damage to cameras. Haven't used a camera box and haven't had one broken at all in years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom