Hunter orange question

BillyBoB

I've never hunted Wyoming before and I've been doing homework into the regs,laws that are required. After watching many high country rifle hunts in Wyoming on You Tube, I began to notice many...if not all of them were only wearing a orange hat while in the field. Everything else was camo.
So I pulled up the regulations and from my understanding, a single orange hat would be legally enough orange to wear while in the field. Am I understanding this correctly? What has been your experiences while in the high country of Wyoming?
Here's the regs:

Fluorescent Orange

Big and Trophy Game
No person, other than archers and crossbow hunters hunting during a special archery season or limited quota archery only Type 9 season, shall hunt any big or trophy game animal without wearing in a visible manner one (1) or more exterior garments that shall include a hat, shirt, jacket, coat, vest or sweater of a fluorescent orange color. Fluorescent orange camouflage is legal. Muzzle‐loader hunters participating in limited quota muzzle‐loading seasons are required to meet the fluorescent orange requirements.

Obviously the more hunter orange you wear, the safer you would probably be. But most hunters I see...Tend to wear as little orange as legally possible.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-16 AT 03:54PM (MST)[p]Yes an orange hat is all I wear!!!! Other hunters should be making sure of there target and orange hat should stick out enough.

If you go to Wyo G&F website and look for Store they have Camo Orange Hats with Deer, Elk and Lopes images on them and that is all you need to wear to be legal.
22546selfie.jpg

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

If ya archery hunt during a rifle season then you must have orange.

I choose to wear a vest. Since I use horses and once in a while you get a hunter that thinks a moose is a elk. I would rather play it safe and not have
Me on a horse and someone thinking im a big game animal

All we ever wear is an orange hat while hunting, but as soon as an animal is down and we start packing, that's a different story. The light orange mesh vests come out anytime we have a head and rack loaded up, and generally put several pieces of flagging tape on the antlers too.

For many years I wore a blaze orange bandanna around my neck. The local warden jumped me about it one day and I told him it was a vest. He said it wasn't a vest and I asked him about where the regulation defined what a vest was. He couldn't find a definition and just shook his head. Now I wear a blaze orange camo ball cap that is faded badly. I used to know a guy who just pop riveted a blaze orange hat on his pack. The point I am trying to make is simple. The regulations are full of definitional problems with the blaze orange requirement.

just sayin...mh

What do you think about making it optional, like they do in Idaho?

I have wondered how critical it is to require it. I don't know that it changes a lot simply by allowing the hunter to decide whether or not they want to where it. Seems more reasonable and doesn't appear as though a lot of hunters are getting shot in Idaho.

When I lived in Idaho, it seemed that hunter orange or a lack there of was not responsible for people being shot. The bulk of the hunter fatalities involving tripping with a loaded rifle, climbing over fences with a loaded rifle, taking shots at sounds not objects and consuming alcohol while hunting. I remember some fatalities in Idaho during hunting season that turned out to be murders. I remember at least two of them. Both involved a friend of a hunter shooting that hunter "accidently" because they had something going on with the deceased hunter's wife.

just sayin...mh

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom