HWH's '02 Antelope

• Thread starter High_Wide_n_Heavy
  • Start date
H

High_Wide_n_Heavy

I arrowed this guy on opening day at about 35 yards in Utah.
62824005RyucPr_ph.jpg

62824339LPzXQV_ph.jpg

62824829FXaRTg_ph.jpg

I used a Hoyt Deviator with the Carbonite limbs, Easton 2413's, and a 100gr. Thunderhead. Made a complete pass through, and he only went about 20yds. I got pretty lucky since I only had one day to hunt before I had to go back to work. Wish I would have had it scored before I had it mounted though, it would have met P&Y requirements. Oh, well...Live and learn!!!

I cant see any picture, is it just my computer???? Thanks, Allen Taylor......

I couldn't get the pics to open either. I'm still jealous since I struck out last fall with my bow.

You can try right clicking on the box, go to properties, and highlight the address where the pic is at. Then copy and paste it into your address bar and go to it. Some see them, others don't...Hope this helps. HW&H

Congrats on a great goat.What unit is he from?Give us a story to go along with the pics.I got my antelope on the Parker Mountain unit this last year.With rifle though.I wish I took my bow.I would have had shots at three different bucks that were in bow range.Those goats act goofy as hell when there ruttin.I know I will be putting in again for archery instead.I'm glad we only have to wait two years instead of five now.

Bear

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-03 AT 03:52PM (MST)[p]I took this goat on the Parker also. I spent the first half of the day trying a little spot and stalk, but after getting busted about a half a dozen times, I decided to let them come to me. So after about two hours in a blind on a water hole, about 20 Antelope, no kidding, all showed up at once. The herd was mostly does and small bucks, so I picked the best one and took him when he presented the shot. I still can't believe how lucky I was. I was only able to scout a total of about 4 hours, and only had opening day off. Being a firefighter and a bowhunter is not easy!!!
Bear, any pics of the goat you took last year?

Bear, I couldn't see the pics. It said that I wasn't the owner of the album and couldn't access it. Can you copy the address of the pics and paste them in your message? Maybe that would work. I'd like to see them.
HW&H

Well we went down on the mountain the weekend before to do some scouting and it was unbeleivable.This was when the archery hunt was still on for them goats.I'm guessing we looked at over 300 antelope in that one day.From a couple miles away to under 50 yards we glassed goats all day.The bucks seemed to be rutting pretty hard.Each descent buck had a group of does and there was always the little guys lurking close by.We arrived on top of Parker the night before the hunt,anticipating to spend a few days to camp and hunt.Really just to get away.I tried to be really patient looking over and trying to judge the best goats.After glassing and stalking over 20 bucks on opening morning it was getting difficult.Most hunters in are area had filled there tag at first light.Most right from the roads.After lunch we went out again and I found a nice buck probably a mile away.I put a good stalk on him and got to within 300 yards of him.I figured he was one of the best goats I have seen so I took a shot and missed.Don't know what went wrong on that one.So, disgusted I hiked my way back to the truck and went on.A half hour later not two or three miles from where I missed I found another group with three bucks in it. The herd was about 1000 yards out so I put a sneak on to get closer.I got in the edge of the timber and got on them.I looked at him for about 15 minutes before I took the shot.I decided he was good enough for me being my first goat.I set up the bipod on my Ruger #1 270 and touched one off.He didn't know what hit him.He gimped around for about 10 seconds and expired in is tracks.The herd stuck around for a while after I took him.Kind of weird I thought to myself.Took a few pics,got with my wife on the radio to pick me and the buck up and hightailed it back to camp.I loaded his cavity with five or six blocks of ice,hooked the trailer and was headed to Ferron to drop him off to the taxadermist.It was a great hunt and some beatiful country.I can't wait to apply again.But I guess I'm gonna have to.Next time it will be for archery though.I found three water holes down there with goats on them quite regular.Now that would fun.Did you dig a pit or sit in a blind? That would be a hot mama in a blind in August, I know that!Sorry for the long story but you asked and I got excited about it and will defenately never forget it.This was my first goat ever.Now I'm hooked like a junkie and I will be applying for tags in Wyoming and New Mexico.How about you?Have to take a breath now.

Bear

Actually, this was also my first goat. I sat in a blind, and yes it is hot in August, but that's the price you pay I guess! I forgot to mention another part of my lucky streak though. When I got my letter back from the DWR it read UNSUCCESSFUL. I was bummed, but a few months later I was on a fire near Vernal, and on one of the few occasions that I was actually sitting inside my engine, my cell phone rang. I answered and it was a woman calling from the DWR to tell me that someone who drew this permit surrendered it, and that I was next in line to draw. Then she asked me if I wanted it. Completely shocked I of course said yes, and proceeded to give her my credit card number from the middle of BFE! It still amazes me that she caught me. If she had called at any other time, it's not likely that I would have been anywhere near my phone. Needless to say I was, and still am, a happy man. I will be putting in for the same hunt again when my 2 years are up, but probably not in any other state, as I said earlier, it's not exactly the best time for me to try and get any time off of work. Thanks for sharing, Bear.
High_Wide_n_Heavy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom