I am dumbfounded by this.

That's because you gents are running feed grounds on your golf courses!

Seriously though- heavy winters push those animals more- I gotta assume traffic collisions are up mostly because of that.

I do not. I was truly just taken aback by them saying there has not been an increase.

I also must not be familiar with all the crossings we have in the state.

I know I travel a lot for work. And I see the crossings other states put in. And I must say, I wish Utah would put that much effort in their crossings.

The new crossings near pequop pass in Nevada are remarkable. And they have that other new one near silver city I believe it is called that is equally as impressive.

Most of Utah's crossings are culvert style beneath the road, not over.

They both work although there has been some debate on which style is better used.

I assume that the dwr is basing the numbers off of what is reported in their new roadkill app.
Only a couple people must be using it because you'd have to have your head in the sand to not believe that there has been an increase in roadkill this year.

I went from Fruitland to Roosevelt last night at 8 PM,There must of been at least 300 400 deer I seen along the side of the highway feeding on what little they could find,SALT is what they are after.States that do not SALT there highways do not have as many road kill deer and elk.
So to keep them off the road, there has to be a corridor for them to travel safely.
Not a easy solution to the problem, were there are literally hundreds of thousands of miles of roadways.

Pay Attention Niller!

I Wasn't Replying To Anybody But Myself!

So I'll SPLAIN it To You!

When I said:This Ain't Gonna Help,I Meant All These Road Kills Taken Place On A Herd Already In Trouble!

I Never Said Crossings & Fences Wouldn't Help!

If You Still Don't Comprehend Re-Read Post # 2!

GEEZUS!

Wildlife crossings are not going to help deer?

I call BS. I think fencing and crossings are some of the most effective things the government can do to help wildlife.

You replied in a thread about highway crossings with simply our deer were already in trouble, this isn’t going to help. This is a “you” problem, bessy.

And thanks for letting us know getting hit and killed by a vehicle won’t help a deer. That is invaluable information previously unavailable to the rest of us mere mortals.

And yes, highway crossings DO help and it’s fantastic news Utah continues to work to install them. Just think if your friends at $FW would give some of the millions of buck$ they’ve collected by selling our bucks to this cause!

You Need To Pay Attention & Quit Misinterpreting Things That Ain't What I Said!

JUDAS!

I Never Ever Said Crossings & Fences Wouldn't Help!

The Biggest Problem With It Niller, Some Crossings & Fences Should'of Been Put In Many,Many Years Ago!

And Before You Mis-Read It I'll SPLAIN That One To You!

Yes,I Realize It All Can't Happen At Once,But It Could'of Damn Sure Started Before It Did!

You replied in a thread about highway crossings with simply our deer were already in trouble, this isn’t going to help. This is a “you” problem, bessy.

And thanks for letting us know getting hit and killed by a vehicle won’t help a deer. That is invaluable information previously unavailable to the rest of us mere mortals.

And yes, highway crossings DO help and it’s fantastic news Utah continues to work to install them. Just think if your friends at $FW would give some of the millions of buck$ they’ve collected by selling our bucks to this cause!

Our Deer Herd Was Already In PISS POOR Shape!

This Ain't Gonna Help!
Direct quote. This is what I was replying to. On a thread about wildlife crossings.

And Utah HAS been doing these bessy, for 50 years! There is absolutely no pleasing you even when they do exactly what you want.

It’s one of those many things that contribute, but don’t “solve” a problem that there is no solution to.

Once A F'N-gain You Pay No Attention!

I Was Replying To Myself On Post # 2 Meaning That: That Many Roadkill Counted Ain't Gonna Help!

Yes They've Been Working On Crossings & Fences.SHERLOCK!

I'm Sure Glad You're The Only One On Here Smart enough to know it!

Once A F'N-gain You Pay No Attention!

I Was Replying To Myself On Post # 2 Meaning That: That Many Roadkill Counted Ain't Gonna Help!

Yes They've Been Working On Crossings & Fences.SHERLOCK!

I'm Sure Glad You're The Only One On Here Smart enough to know it!

This post is hilarious. Carry on, Bess. Carry on.

Hey Niller!

Right Out Of HELL-F'N-RIGHT:

Each Year We will do More Deer Fencing along Highways,It'll take several years,We should have been doing this 50 years ago!

I Hate To Re-Post It But Your Memory Ain't WAFF!

You keep saying “we should have been doing it,” and my response is still “We were.”

If your buddies at SFW would pony up some cash we all supplied to them for “conservation” then maybe we could speed up the process.

Now go yell at me about how “We should have been doing this 50 years ago” doesn’t mean you are saying we didn’t do it. Go make sense again bessy. Come on…do it!

Hey Niller!

In Your Eyes:

I Have SINNED!

Because I Have Donated!

I'll Ask You The Same Question I Asked Hossy:

Do You Want Me To Quit Going To The EXPO?

Now?

How You Gonna Get The Other 49,000 To Quit?

Remember:

You're The KING!

And You Have All The Answers According To Yourself!:D

You keep saying “we should have been doing it,” and my response is still “We were.”

If your buddies at SFW would pony up some cash we all supplied to them for “conservation” then maybe we could speed up the process.

Now go yell at me about how “We should have been doing this 50 years ago” doesn’t mean you are saying we didn’t do it. Go make sense again bessy. Come on…do it!

I could not care less if you go to the expo or not. Have at it all you want! It’s your money, spend it how you want to.

I’m just suggesting that this “conservation” organization puts some of those tens of millions of dollars we’ve given them on a silver platter to use in a way that is very beneficial to our mule deer.

And you might recall what my #1 thing I’d want to see done in Utah if I was the one deciding would be. (Hint, this thread is very relevant to it!)

Nevada knows how to do it!

Screenshot_20230330_174743_Chrome.jpg

Ok I guess I missed it. What exactly sets Nevada apart?

I do remember my dad telling me about all the deer and antelope he would hit during the winter with the train while going through that area.

Ok I guess I missed it. What exactly sets Nevada apart?

I do remember my dad telling me about all the deer and antelope he would hit during the winter with the train while going through that area.
Have you read the article in the link?
Excellent insight on their program and funding entities.

Railroad collisions are an entirely different beast.
No doubt they happen, but they've got to be a fraction of what auto is.
Fencing and overpasses for RR lines when they usually run the same routes as highways seems like shooting for Pluto versus getting to the moon first.

I did read the article. What exactly is Nevada doing over and above what Utah has done and is doing?

My father recounted multiple instances of in his words "hundreds of deer and antelope being hurled off the side as a train would pass. The walls next to the tracks being too high for them to get out of the way.

I don't suppose it is much different than Evanston to Ogden. It is what it is.

Question? Is the problem in those areas not worth addressing along with the highways?

I did read the article. What exactly is Nevada doing over and above what Utah has done and is doing?

My father recounted multiple instances of in his words "hundreds of deer and antelope being hurled off the side as a train would pass. The walls next to the tracks being too high for them to get out of the way.

I don't suppose it is much different than Evanston to Ogden. It is what it is.

Question? Is the problem in those areas not worth addressing along with the highways?
Nevada is spending millions on fencing and over/under passes where utah is just starting to get on that train....no pun intended.

I'm not saying it's not a problem at all, yes it is but I would feel safe to assume it's not an annual issue due to unusual heavy snowfalls.

Trains aren't a "constant" on a line like vehicles are on highways.

Let's address the obvious first is all I'm implying.

Slam, you say Utah is just starting to get on this train. The article that started this thread said Utah was the first place to do this 50 years ago and has been viewed as a leader ever since.

Maybe this is where middlefork’s curiosity about what Nevada is doing that Utah is not comes from.

I agree we need more of this, but I don’t think we can say Utah is just getting on this train. But educate me where I’m wrong here. I acknowledge I’m not super well-versed on this topic.

Absolutely true, yes.

My point is Utah seems to have dropped the ball on this even though we pioneered it while Nevada is embracing it.

I shake my head as to why?

Utah has been doing a lot of highway fencing projects but it doesn't "feel" like it has priority when we all know highway mortality is a major factor in wiping our deer population out.

Slam, you say Utah is just starting to get on this train. The article that started this thread said Utah was the first place to do this 50 years ago and has been viewed as a leader ever since.

Maybe this is where middlefork’s curiosity about what Nevada is doing that Utah is not comes from.

I agree we need more of this, but I don’t think we can say Utah is just getting on this train. But educate me where I’m wrong here. I acknowledge I’m not super well-versed on this topic.

I honestly think not just fencing, but major highway crossings are the single most impactful thing the government could do to help mule deer in Utah. Before bessy goes all postal and says “50 EFFIN THINGS NILLER,” I’m not saying it’s the only thing we should do. Just the most impactful.

I realize those over and underpasses are really expensive, but the cost is worth it, IMO.

Could the money just from the expo auction tags fund one major over/under pass? How many millions came in just in February at that auction?

I honestly think not just fencing, but major highway crossings are the single most impactful thing the government could do to help mule deer in Utah. Before bessy goes all postal and says “50 EFFIN THINGS NILLER,” I’m not saying it’s the only thing we should do. Just the most impactful.

I realize those over and underpasses are really expensive, but the cost is worth it, IMO.

Could the money just from the expo auction tags fund one major over/under pass? How many millions came in just in February at that auction?
I couldn't agree more.

Fury Predators and motorized Predators need to be the focus while we are being blessed with moisture for habitat restoration.

Hey Niller!

THEM 50 EFFIN Things Huh?

More Fencing Is Part of HELL-F'N-RIGHT!

Now When You Grow More Common Sense You'll Admit It's More Than JUST Needing More Fencing & Over/Under Passes!

But Yes!

It'd Help A Bunch!

Yes We Need It!

Yes I'm All For It!

Now Think Niller!

49+ More Reasons Why/Issues & You Just Might Figure It Out!

I Hope I've SPLAINED The Above So You Comprehend It Without Telling Me I Said/Meant Something-else?

I gave you the chance to be king for a day and fix a single unit bessy and you chickened out. Time for you to shut that trap until you follow through!

Or are you just yella?

I told you There Ain't Nothing Getting Fixed In A Day!

I Ain't Never Chickened Out On A F'N Thing!

The Fix Involves Way More Than You Or Anybody-else is Willing To Sacrifice!

So That Basically Makes It UN-F'N-FIXABLE!

Got A Question For You Niller!

We All Know That You Want Your Opportunity/Opportunities!

You Ever Thought About The Future Of Hunting For Your Kids & Grand-Kids?

I've Mentioned It Many Times For Years!

Yes I Am Concerned For Future Generations Of Hunters/Sportsmen!

I Can Not Remember One Post Of You Ever Mentioning It As One Of Your Concerns?

Ya!

My Memory SUCKS Though!

I gave you the chance to be king for a day and fix a single unit bessy and you chickened out. Time for you to shut that trap until you follow through!

Or are you just yella?

My Memory SUCKS Though!

This might be the only true thing you’ve said in the last week on this forum! It was never about fixing it in a day, or doing things that would be popular. You got to do anything you wanted, and you pusssed out.

Just admit it and we can move on. Or go back to that thread and prove you got the stones to back up all this talk. Either way, put up or shut up Bess. The time is now. Your ALL CAPS constant whiney baby rants are old and tired.

How many would buy tickets to a ,MMUFC between Elk and Vanilla LIVE!!????????

Sounds like Hawkeye is getting a front row seat for only the cost of driving!

Bessy knows I love him, and usually I’m just busting his chops. But this time I’m really calling him out. Put up or shut up. He has all the answers, yet never gives them. Put it in writing or quit criticizing those who do. Be a man, or not. It’s his choice.

Fury Predators and motorized Predators need to be the focus while we are being blessed with moisture for habitat restoration.

Like increased opportunities to kill cougars! ?

Slam, do you know of any planned over/underpass projects? It has MDF identified places where they aren’t planned but could help? (You take a lot of beating for MDF, and I know you aren’t their public information officer, so just curious if you know.)

I could not care less if you go to the expo or not. Have at it all you want! It’s your money, spend it how you want to.

I’m just suggesting that this “conservation” organization puts some of those tens of millions of dollars we’ve given them on a silver platter to use in a way that is very beneficial to our mule deer.

And you might recall what my #1 thing I’d want to see done in Utah if I was the one deciding would be. (Hint, this thread is very relevant to it!)
Off topic, but so refreshing to see the term ‘I could not care less’ used properly.
Thank you!

I know in the past a lot were incorporated in other road projects that were going on at the time. More bang for the buck so to speak. That is why I think they are not more known.

As far as I know you have to go to the UDOT project web page and drill down.

Like increased opportunities to kill cougars! ?

Slam, do you know of any planned over/underpass projects? It has MDF identified places where they aren’t planned but could help? (You take a lot of beating for MDF, and I know you aren’t their public information officer, so just curious if you know.)
I believe the majority of scheduled, past present and future projects of all types are in the WRI site, but I will dig deeper into that particular type of project and report back what I learn.
I too want to see these all over not just Utah, but every state.

Nevada knows how to do it!

View attachment 106923
This!

This is exactly what I was referring to. This is what Utah should be doing in my opinion. Nevada has these in many places, especially along the I80 corridor.

I believe these help animals much more then the narrow underpasses, or the weird little overpass they put in parleys.

This!

This is exactly what I was referring to. This is what Utah should be doing in my opinion. Nevada has these in many places, especially along the I80 corridor.

I believe these help animals much more then the narrow underpasses, or the weird little overpass they put in parleys.
It's really neat driving through the Wales area north towards the Idaho/Utah borders and see all the fencing and crossings, they've done a phenomenal job in Nevada.

Hey Niller!

In Your Eyes:

I Have SINNED!

Because I Have Donated!

I'll Ask You The Same Question I Asked Hossy:

Do You Want Me To Quit Going To The EXPO?

Now?

How You Gonna Get The Other 49,000 To Quit?

Remember:

You're The KING!

And You Have All The Answers According To Yourself!:D

Yes. Quit going now

It's really neat driving through the Wales area north towards the Idaho/Utah borders and see all the fencing and crossings, they've done a phenomenal job in Nevada.

Think maybe if a sportsman's group in Utah has the premier lobbyist in Utah on their payroll, they might get him to lobby the state to get the insurance companies involved in these projects?

Who knows, maybe a fence will keep out those wolves he's "so concerned with"

Think maybe if a sportsman's group in Utah has the premier lobbyist in Utah on their payroll, they might get him to lobby the state to get the insurance companies involved in these projects?

Who knows, maybe a fence will keep out those wolves he's "so concerned with"
I couldn't agree more.....

This may be little to deep for some to plow through but it is a pretty good explanation of how to determine the best crossing structures for different animals. I would guess individual states have access to this type of information and try to implement best practices.

After having read that. I see it agreeing with my previous statements.

I know through the I80 corridor in Nevada. Specifically the 12 mile pequop corridor. Until a couple years ago when the completed the overpasses. I used to see a lot of deer (despite the 5 underpasses I know exist) dead in the road.

Since the completion of the larger and imho better over passes (2) I have noticed much feeder road killed deer.

DGB, I'll not argue with you. As I said earlier there is plenty of discussion.

With a lead time of up to 5 years for any project I'm not sure there is a "right now" solution to many peoples complaints.

Wildlife crossings are not going to help deer?

I call BS. I think fencing and crossings are some of the most effective things the government can do to help wildlife.
I am all for crossings, under or over the road but totally against all the fencing! It cuts off critical movement and migration corridors. Also, any animal that gets on the road side is trapped and unlikely to get out before getting hit.

I am all for crossings, under or over the road but totally against all the fencing! It cuts off critical movement and migration corridors. Also, any animal that gets on the road side is trapped and unlikely to get out before getting hit.
You may want to rethink that position.

Have you not seen the ramps though the fence that have been built to allow them to exit the right of way?

Is any of it perfect? No it is not. But the claim that states are not addressing it is false.

I have seen the ramps, I just think a spooked or unspooked animal is going to have a hard time finding it and using it. It’s better than nothing and the state is addressing it but again fences of any type are generally bad for game.

Might Wanna Read That Last Paragraph!

Since The Southern End Of The State Hasn't Been Effected As Bad as The Northern Part Of The State,Permit Numbers Are Staying About The Same!

WAFJ!

I have seen the ramps, I just think a spooked or unspooked animal is going to have a hard time finding it and using it. It’s better than nothing and the state is addressing it but again fences of any type are generally bad for game.
That does happen, I have witnessed it myself.
But they learn with time and the outcome is better than no fencing at all.
Collaring studies show this.

Like middlfork said, "it's not perfect", but it is 100% better than nothing.

Might Wanna Read That Last Paragraph!

Since The Southern End Of The State Hasn't Been Effected As Bad as The Northern Part Of The State,Permit Numbers Are Staying About The Same!

WAFJ!

Record survival rates and incredibly positive conditions for deer in the south and you STILL want tag cuts. Good hell, man.

I get it. Anything short of shutting down the state to hunting entirely will fall short of your hopes and dreams. I’ll add your sensitive little feelers to my prayers, my friend. I really hope you make it through these very positive times for mule deer in SW Utah. Good times for deer would be catastrophic to your takes on this forum for 20 years.

You may want to rethink that position.

Have you not seen the ramps though the fence that have been built to allow them to exit the right of way?

Is any of it perfect? No it is not. But the claim that states are not addressing it is false.
I think the State really blew it using wood to shore up those ramps.
They will rot in time and probably not be rebuilt in the proper timeframe, therefore funneling Deer in to the fenced off road in reverse.
Should have used concrete K-rails for shoring instead.

I think the State really blew it using wood to shore up those ramps.
They will rot in time and probably not be rebuilt in the proper timeframe, therefore funneling Deer in to the fenced off road in reverse.
Should have used concrete K-rails for shoring instead.
I've wondered that myself.
I'm not sure if they've used a marine type treated wood or not.

Anyone on this thread following the Wyoming Habitat thread on the Mule Deer Forum?

If you're blaming the UDNR for declining big game need to look beyond your personal agendas and realize this isn't just a Utah thing.

Arguments, blame and finger pointing on the internet isn't going to improve the numbers, GET INVOLVED!!

Ok so the hunt expo originated in 2007,With the famous $5 dollar tag price,3.5 goes to SFW and MDF,1.5 goes to conservation projects.That on a average from attendance numbers should be about ON AVERAGE 4-6 million per year.then add in the Bid tags,Another 5-7 Million per year.
16 Years of non profit money there should been enough to build a hotel Hilton on every unit in the state of Utah to house the deer and elk that are starving to death and getting ran over every day in the state!

You Were Quick To Reply On This!

Now Go Reply on the Niller/KING Thread!

Record survival rates and incredibly positive conditions for deer in the south and you STILL want tag cuts. Good hell, man.

I get it. Anything short of shutting down the state to hunting entirely will fall short of your hopes and dreams. I’ll add your sensitive little feelers to my prayers, my friend. I really hope you make it through these very positive times for mule deer in SW Utah. Good times for deer would be catastrophic to your takes on this forum for 20 years.

I've wondered that myself.
I'm not sure if they've used a marine type treated wood or not.
I have absolutely no idea why they build the way they do. I'm not an engineer nor construction expert. I wouldn't begin to try to bid any job for UDOT/DWR. And I won't worry about the bid process.

What I do believe is that those that design and build fence projects and crossing are not working in a vacuum. They use current best knowledge from national resources to get the best bang for their buck with the input of many wildlife experts.

Any of the projects are not nor should not be build and forget. They all require ongoing maintenance.

And range rehabilitation is much the same.

And what really helps with it all is moisture / water. Hopefully the adage "what doesn't kill us will make us stronger" will apply to the animal survivors of this winter.

Ok so the hunt expo originated in 2007,With the famous $5 dollar tag price,3.5 goes to SFW and MDF,1.5 goes to conservation projects.That on a average from attendance numbers should be about ON AVERAGE 4-6 million per year.then add in the Bid tags,Another 5-7 Million per year.
16 Years of non profit money there should been enough to build a hotel Hilton on every unit in the state of Utah to house the deer and elk that are starving to death and getting ran over every day in the state!
Did you figure in what it may costs to rent the convention center for 4 days?
Apparently you don't realize that the auction tag money doesn't all stay here.
Hence....AZ 725k tag goes to AZ, not Utah, same with all the other tags outside of Utah.
These states use the Expo platform to auction their tags for their own monetary uses, (many of which do not even go to conservation) and the Expo receives a percentage as fees.

Although your math is extremely over inflated, have you taken the time to research where the "audited" money has gone?

I won't attempt to speak for other organizations, but MDF put over $20 million dollars on the ground last year alone.
Screenshot_20230402_192506_Gallery.jpg

I have absolutely no idea why they build the way they do. I'm not an engineer nor construction expert. I wouldn't begin to try to bid any job for UDOT/DWR. And I won't worry about the bid process.

What I do believe is that those that design and build fence projects and crossing are not working in a vacuum. They use current best knowledge from national resources to get the best bang for their buck with the input of many wildlife experts.

Any of the projects are not nor should not be build and forget. They all require ongoing maintenance.

And range rehabilitation is much the same.

And what really helps with it all is moisture / water. Hopefully the adage "what doesn't kill us will make us stronger" will apply to the animal survivors of this winter.
I do know we've got a lot of guzzlers needing repairs after this heavy snow winter, a number of them were hit by avalanches as they were built in chutes to capture natural water.

I did learn a little information on HWY89 and why it's not been fenced with crossings with highway mortality extremely high there.

That area is mostly agriculture lands and the ranchers don't want fences and crossings because it funnels the game directly onto their lands depending on where those crossings are.

I can understand that.

Slam
Thanks for sharing that breakdown,Im not bad mouthing these organizations,im just curious as to how the money is spent.
I read that a 10X10 area to rent for the show costs $1700.00,
So I do realize there are major costs associated with this event.
For sure without the MDF & SFW who else would be helping our wildlife!
Bucks

As far as the math examples I used,Straight from there own web sites dated 2019,So I think my examples for prices are low if anything!

Why not decrease the speed limit to 35 MPH from sunset to sunrise in core migratory areas? Would be cheaper than all the fancy fences.

Why not decrease the speed limit to 35 MPH from sunset to sunrise in core migratory areas? Would be cheaper than all the fancy fences.
In Utah? You won’t even get the Subaroo’s here to do that:ROFLMAO:

Ok, I’m not a deer fence expert but we have built a few in CO. Here they are built with pressure treated wood, which will probably last as long as the asphalt. And much cheaper than concrete or “k-rail” as concrete wall barrier is called in pinko CA. It just needs to last until the woofs get here :unsure:

In terms of the other fancy over/underpasses, the range of options is only limited by the twisted imagination of the nerds who don’t drive who design airport traffic patterns. We have bid projects with everything from culverts for turtles to the overpass for bighorns at the WAPA substation at Hoover Dam. The fancier stuff seems to show up in “design-build” projects where they are scored as value-added features.

The deer fencing with escape ramps DRAMATICALLY reduces animal collisions. It should be mandatory on all federally funded projects (where appropriate). Fortunately it’s becoming more common as States tackle their safety upgrades.

I’m always dumbfloundered when I come here :)

Last edited:
Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom