I fired one of these

eelgrass

Long Time Member
First off, I've never been in the military. Secondly, I've lived in California my entire life.

Imagine my curiosity when my cousin showed up with a Vietnam era M16A1 and invited me to shoot it. He just got discharged from serving in Vietnam. I didn't ask him how he got it. The year was 1970. We lived out in the country on 3.5 acres. We shot a couple 20 round magazines and then went back into the house like nothing happened. About a half hour later a deputy sheriff drove by a couple times and stopped and knocked on the door. We told him we didn't see or hear anything.

He offered to sell it to me for $90. I couldn't afford it at the time so I declined. I'll never forget shooting it though.

First off, I've never been in the military. Secondly, I've lived in California my entire life.

Imagine my curiosity when my cousin showed up with a Vietnam era M16A1 and invited me to shoot it. He just got discharged from serving in Vietnam. I didn't ask him how he got it. The year was 1970. We lived out in the country on 3.5 acres. We shot a couple 20 round magazines and then went back into the house like nothing happened. About a half hour later a deputy sheriff drove by a couple times and stopped and knocked on the door. We told him we didn't see or hear anything.

He offered to sell it to me for $90. I couldn't afford it at the time so I declined. I'll never forget shooting it though.

Every every once in a great while, I guy gets to do something where he can not, no matter how hard he try’s, wipe the silly grin off his face!

Guy I worked for in college was licensed. He had one of those along with a couple other fully auto. Ammo was a lot cheaper back then and he was buying so we had a blast shooting them every now and then. Hold low left and hold the trigger... very hard to hold on target on full auto.

$90 might have been a good investment?

Only problem you’d have with that $90 m16…..would be the “transferable” part……contraband forever since it wasn’t made legal at the time your buddy “acquired” it….most likely…

Only problem you’d have with that $90 m16…..would be the “transferable” part……contraband forever since it wasn’t made legal at the time…..
Yeah, I knew that would be a cooler. Still be pretty cool to own now. I would will it to someone like you on the QT.

On the other hand, an unregistered nontransferable M16 might bring a premium if you can find someone to trust. Maybe not with all those AR-15's out there.

I’ve owned several different MGs over the years. The last Colt conversion I had I bought for $8500 and sold a few years lasted for $18k. It would be worth $35k now ??‍♂️

I asked my father in law what his preferred jungle weapon was in the Philippines.

He said a fully auto 12 gauge and a flame thrower.

I said, what about going door to door in a city.

He said, the same.

I guess you can move a lot of leafs and vines in the jungle, and a lot of brick and mortar in town, with double aught buck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom