I need an answer! utah dwr

bearbone

OK so i am sitting here looking at monster muleys and watching fox 13 and i hear the lady say " sharp shooters in bountiful are taking out deer that are over populated". Wow first off Utah has a deer heard over populated wouldn't believe that. And second off, the Utah dwr spends thousands of dollars every year transplanting buffalo off the henry's to a new location, and antelope off the Parker to a new location, why are we not transplanting are deer to a new location. State wide deer heards are down but we are going to kill a bunch more. don't get it, don't get it!

There's a couple or so reasons. The sheer number of animals they are looking to remove is a LOT, not just a few. The logistics of netting, trapping, tranqing or whatever, those deer within a city would be a nightmare, to say nothing of the cost, even though it would be shared by the city I believe.

Also, mulies have been caught and transplanted several times before, and they don't do very well, many of the animals die relatively quick, and most don't see it through the first year. Too bad, new blood in the herd would be nice...

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-10 AT 08:54PM (MST)[p]It is too bad, there are some nice bucks in Bountiful. I did some looking into mule deer transplants a couple years back. There has not been a lot of data, but most of what there is shows it to be pretty ineffective. Mule deer are one species that don't do too well when transplanted. I know they have had some success moving them to Santa Rosa Island and I have heard they moved some to the Henry Mtns at one point, but I don't know much about it. I do know that the cost involved in a large scale transplant would be huge, and that survival rate of transplanted animals wouldn't be great. Killing deer with a sharpshooter is a shame, but the truth is the money could probably be better spent doing other things to help deer.

Transplanting deer is kind of like pouring more water into a leaky bucket hoping to fill it up. What really needs to be done is to fix the leak, and then the bucket will fill itself. That is my opinion anyway.

Dax

I would think that deer transplanted would not know migration routes either way??? Boy would it be nice if it worked.

Here is my 2 cents:

There is obviously a huge resident population of deer that live year-around within the city limits of Bountiful (one estimate said as high as 3,000 deer).

HOWEVER, there is also a "winter" population of deer that migrate into the city come November and December. These deer are obviously more wild than the resident population of deer that were born and raised in the city; thus, they tend to frequent areas such as golf courses, cemetaries, parks, etc. where they have a little more space. The sharpshooters will apparently target deer in "public" places, and in private residences when the DWR receives complaints from homeowners. As you can see, if the DWR wants to meet its # goal, it is going to target these deer in more open public spaces.

So, WHY IN THE HELL would the DWR pursue this program in NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER when they will be killing a huge population of deer that return to the hills above Davis County in the spring? Why not carry out this program in the middle of the summer and actually target the problem deer that have been born and raised in city limits?

It is mind-numbingly stupid on DWR's part.

If done the right way, I do not see how the cost could be that much. Have one dwr guy get 3 dedicated hunters and set up a trap. After they catch the deer. Call a dedicated hunter from an area they want to transplant them in. That dedicated hunter could get a horse trailer and run up and get them and let them loose with the local dwr guy. Great way to get dedicated hunter hours.

Back about 20 years ago, they transplanted some deer off of the Beaver unit, and transplanted them to the southwest desert unit. I saw some of those collared deer for years after that. I am not saying that some of the deer did not die soon after the transplant, but I know some made it and did have fawns. I would rather see them transplant them and have 3 out of 10 make it, then see all 10 of them dead. 3 does each has a fawn, and the herd is starting to grow.

Thats my take on it. I would go to bountiful in my own truck and trailer to get a load of deer to put in my hunting area. Free of charge.

What do you expect? The homes keep creeping further and further up the mountain. The deer have no place to go. The human encroachment on the deer winter range is the real problem. I am not saying that there is an easy fix. It is a shame that deer suffer because we cannot find a better place to build our homes. This is going to be a problem as long as we keep encroaching on deer habitat. I am for transplanting or discouraging deer with other methods. This is my 2 cents take it for what it's worth.

Enjoy the moment and relive the memories.

This is more of a question for those that would know, but if they are going to use sharp shooters to kill them one at a time, why don't they just give that same sharp shooter a traquilizer gun? Is it a range thing? They still have to haul them off once they're are killed and take them some where. What's the difference if they tranquilize and haul them to a remote location away from the city, still alive?

what threw me off was that the news said they were going to be using .22 pistols. i think they are just going to have a bunch of wounded deer running around and dying wherever.

My opinion on this is that yes transplant rates on mule deer may not be really great but lets say if you transplant 2000 animals and even if 50% of them don't make it, you have atleast bumped up some other areas of the state by 1000 animals rather than kill them all with a "sharp shooter"

I like the idea of involving the Dedicated Hunters. I know that there would be guys willing to use there horse trailers and trucks to help the cause rather than the DWR haveing to front the complete cost.

To me they have acted alittl to quickly in the matter and have not given it as much thought as they could have.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom