Idaho White Clouds 36A Sheep

Nice work getting a tag. I will pm you some tips. Please post pictures if you get something.

Put in a lot of boot time around Iron Basin, and over the top of the ridge into Swimm Lake. You'll be glassing for days, and hoping to hear the crash of horns to locate a couple rams. They tend to not be as big in there and average 32-34" with lighter 14" bases. O'Calkens Lake is a beautiful hike and place to camp. Sometimes see them in the upper reach above Hoodoo Lake. White Cloud Outfitters usually has a client in there also you'll be competing with. They don't usually go onto the easier side of Railroad Ridge until after your hunt closes. Good luck, that ought to get you started in the right direction.

Yes, sheep and goats both. A friend has taken sheep and goats in there. I took a nice ram in there in the 90's, a goat for my wife the next year, and passed 65 billies myself the following year looking for a Booner, and hunted several more times with friends for sheep. Enjoy your high country experience.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. Here is a photo!

5036unnamed.jpg

Great ram! I would love to see more photos if youre willing to post them. Especially a head on shot.

Congrats!

Congratulations. Gorgeous ram. More info and measurements?????

Hope it was all you expected. Beautiful country, isn't it. The pull up and over from Iron Basin to Swimm is a pleasant walk.

The ram is 10.5 years old. I am not sure about his measurements because I was in a hurry to get him plugged and to the taxidermists because of the hot weather. I am really happy with him because my main goal was to find an older ram.

I shot him on opening day at 10:30 after spending the morning venturing into Swimm. I was out of Swimm at 8:30, after not seeing any rams, and went far down into Iron Basin. Were I shot him was way down there in the timber. It was really more in Warm Springs Creek than Iron Basin. Made for a fun pack out!

I also scouted the day before opening day in Iron basin, but I did not see any rams. It was pretty discouraging. In hindsight I guess I did not go low enough.

This summer I went to Iron/ Bighorn Basin five times to scout. I also went to Sheepshead, Last Chance, Hoodoo, Jimmy Smith, RailRoad Ridge, Tin Cup, and Sheep Creek. Your comments were really helpful because I had only seen Ewes at these locations and it made me realize I needed to look harder in Iron Basin.

I already have him butchered and the meat could not be better. I didn't think a 10.5 year old animal could possibly taste this good!

Some mighty fine Rocky Rams biting the dust this year!
Thats a beauty.
You gotta love the pic with you guys wrapped up in down hoddies wearing shorts!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom