Idaho

Jmeis

Out of state hunting for the first time. Looking at hunting near Idaho Falls, ID. If I tag an elk are there any recommended processors in the area? How would you recommend getting the meat home if it can't fly with me back to OH? This is the first time I've had to consider the logistics of getting the meat back home. Normally we drive and process it ourselves.

Last edited:
I live here in Idaho, and you've got me corn-fused. The only Idaho Springs I know of is the one west of Denver, in Colorado??

Process it and freeze it, you can still ship it, but will be expensive. The timing will be tough, cause you are probably not getting it back immediately during hunting season, cause they are busy with everyone's meat at the same time! look at a one-way rental for a small U-Haul truck and drive everything back home.

That is why you drive, take a rental if you do not want all the miles on your truck. Get a couple 140/150 quart coolers, put ice in double trash bags so it does not get meat wet. Your good for a few days until you get home. Dry ice is better but a little more money, easier to get out west than in the east.

I live here in Idaho, and you've got me corn-fused. The only Idaho Springs I know of is the one west of Denver, in Colorado??

Process it and freeze it, you can still ship it, but will be expensive. The timing will be tough, cause you are probably not getting it back immediately during hunting season, cause they are busy with everyone's meat at the same time! look at a one-way rental for a small U-Haul truck and drive everything back home.
Hi! I misspoke! I meant Idaho Falls. I'd like to rent a U-Haul but don't have the time to drive home. We'll have to fly back. Thoughts on having a processor send it?

Hi! I misspoke! I meant Idaho Falls. I'd like to rent a U-Haul but don't have the time to drive home. We'll have to fly back. Thoughts on having a processor send it?
You meat or trophy hunting?
meat haul = driving back home
trophy = get some prim cuts and a little burger frozen and shipping it home
and donate the rest to a food pantry/ bank

OK, much better now. I live in Idaho Falls and can give you some help or info as it gets closer to time. The last two years have been good news/bad news situations; all blaming COVID. With the high price of beef, so many people are buying their own and having butchered that the processors are swamped. You will be much better off if you can figure out how to drive tho.

Two of the local wild game processors shut down. One other one went to doing burger only, after hours, and you have to take in the boned meat yourself. The other can't get meat cutters, so no whole animals anymore. They are only processing for jerky, pepperoni sticks, or burger now and you bring in meat ready to process. Couple of others (Shelley, St Anthony and Rexburg) are seasonal only, and I can give you their numbers this summer, if they start back up.

it’s retarded to drive that far for a hunt. Fuel cost and time would make it more expensive than flying. And if you don’t kill an elk talk about the drive of shame. Anyone that thinks driving that far over flying either doesn’t have the experience, doesn’t know how to do stuff efficiently or is old as ****.

Kill the elk. Get the meat cold (frozen if possible) and put it in Rubbermaid totes and fly it home. Pay for the extra baggage. Process it at your house. Do not try to use an Idaho processor.

Also if you attempt to freeze it have the meat in smaller bags. If you just put it as one big mass in the freezer it will take a few days to freeze.

Nope, don't know him
Not a biggie. He was a somewhat noted custom knifemaker & an old friend. I first met him in a fly-in fishing camp at Rivers Inlet, BC in the 1980s. Subsequently, whenever I drove north to hunt or on a photo safari & went through Idaho Falls, I would stop to visit. He made me this knife from my design.

post-82-1189789156.jpg

post-82-1189789163.jpg

I would freeze it (at processors), then ship your gear home. Take an extra soft luggage bag or 2 on the plane with you. Then, pay for the extra baggage charge, ship your gear home, and fly home with the meat. I've done it several times.
Sound advice!
Only thing I would do different is try to find wax boxes and duct tape the hell out of it instead of soft side luggage.

On my Texas pig hunts I bring a cooler with wheels with me as a checked bag. Load most of my clothes and stuff in it. When I come home I carry on that stuff and load the cooler with meat. I will buy a cooler there and bring it home loaded with meat.

I know last year we had a hell of a time finding a butcher in the Pocatello area finding a butcher with them either being too busy or because of some 4H stuff not wanting to mix wild game with the other animals.

Coolers are heavy but would work for a deer. I would recommend Fish boxes. They are cardboard and wax lined.

You got way more issues than just meat. Are you hunting by yourself or with other friends? Going with an outfitter (should have this worked out for you). How are you leaving the airport? Taxis aren't 4WD. What are you doing for a vehicle and getting in and out of the area?? Rentals aren't cheap, and they get pissy if you tear up their Suburbans! Can you leave your buddies to go get all this other crap done? It's 1800 miles from Ohio to Idaho, and you can drive that in two days. I do it every year. You need to re-analyze and look at TOTAL cost. Kiss the wife twice, tell the boss to kiss yur azz, and take 4 extra days!!!

it’s retarded to drive that far for a hunt. Fuel cost and time would make it more expensive than flying. And if you don’t kill an elk talk about the drive of shame. Anyone that thinks driving that far over flying either doesn’t have the experience, doesn’t know how to do stuff efficiently or is old as ****.

Kill the elk. Get the meat cold (frozen if possible) and put it in Rubbermaid totes and fly it home. Pay for the extra baggage. Process it at your house. Do not try to use an Idaho processor.

Also if you attempt to freeze it have the meat in smaller bags. If you just put it as one big mass in the freezer it will take a few days to freeze.
Fuel should only be 10-12 bucks a gallon by this fall. No big

You got way more issues than just meat. Are you hunting by yourself or with other friends? Going with an outfitter (should have this worked out for you). How are you leaving the airport? Taxis aren't 4WD. What are you doing for a vehicle and getting in and out of the area?? Rentals aren't cheap, and they get pissy if you tear up their Suburbans! Can you leave your buddies to go get all this other crap done? It's 1800 miles from Ohio to Idaho, and you can drive that in two days. I do it every year. You need to re-analyze and look at TOTAL cost. Kiss the wife twice, tell the boss to kiss yur azz, and take 4 extra days!!!
Turo. Plenty of trucks on there and cheaper than a rental vehicle…

Nah, we are talking IF, not Boise. Any truck capable of elk hunting is gonna have 2 drunks and lots of guns in it, and be headed for Tex Creek WMA. :)

Kinda like asking "I'm flying into Anchorage. Can I borrow your airplane!!!"

OK, much better now. I live in Idaho Falls and can give you some help or info as it gets closer to time. The last two years have been good news/bad news situations; all blaming COVID. With the high price of beef, so many people are buying their own and having butchered that the processors are swamped. You will be much better off if you can figure out how to drive tho.

Two of the local wild game processors shut down. One other one went to doing burger only, after hours, and you have to take in the boned meat yourself. The other can't get meat cutters, so no whole animals anymore. They are only processing for jerky, pepperoni sticks, or burger now and you bring in meat ready to process. Couple of others (Shelley, St Anthony and Rexburg) are seasonal only, and I can give you their numbers this summer, if they start back up.
Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate the help.

You meat or trophy hunting?
meat haul = driving back home
trophy = get some prim cuts and a little burger frozen and shipping it home
and donate the rest to a food pantry/ bank
Meat

Nothing about cross country hunting is cheap or makes sense. Yes by the time you get home that elk costs about $40 a pound, but it is worth every penny. Last few years I have done a oil change and tire rotation while I am having a down day hitting up a laundermat at same if possible I do so many miles. Still worth it all. $200 a month goes in my gas/food/meat trip budget. Gets close usually my hunting partner and I do every other tank but I drive, his truck sucks.
The woods will be a little less crowded this year with gas so high. Summer will be quiet also. Who knows what we will be paying be Sept, approaching or over $5 I am guessing.

If Idaho finally gives me a moose tag iam coming by for sure!! I have unit 18 whitetail tag I got as a tag along hunt if my buddy draws mule deer. I put in for moose SE of you not to far. Amazing I seem to hit a random 1/100 or worse odds very other year but that 1/12 1/15 odds idaho moose tag has been elusive.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom