I'm Done !!!!!!

brutus54

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-19 AT 03:33PM (MST)[p] I didn't think I would see this day for a long time. But I'm done big game hunting. I just retired this past June so I have all the time I need to scout and stuff. But I always said if I can't clean, drag, hang, skin & process a Buck by myself it was time to hang it up! Well this past Saturday evening my hunting buddies had to go home and I done just that. I have a ramp and block & tackle for my truck plus I use the block & tackle for the hanging poles in camp. But after I did all that by myself my hands hurt my hip is bothering me and my back and knee hurts. Damn it sucks getting old. Lol (62) I was in Colorado and the storm came in Saturday night so Sunday I got up and had to hurry and pack up and get the hell out of there before I got snowed in. Well the drive home was white knuckles for the first few hours and after a 6 hour drive back to Utah I could hardly stand up straight or walk when I got out of my truck and my hands hurt. I just came in from the garage from cutting up the last of the hind quarters and I hated every minute I was out there. I refuse to use a game processor I always said if I can't cut up my own meat it was time to quit !! Well here I am. Plus the last few times I have shot something I feel bad for taking it's life more than normal. I do still plan on going every year with my hunting buddies but as camp host. Lol I love being in Deer camp but damn my heart isn't in it any more. I leave 1 point for Deer in Colorado on the table. And 17 Moose, 6 elk, and 3 general Deer in Utah. And I'm at peace with my decision. Hell now I don't have to pack or unpack as much when I go out.:D Has this happened to anybody else ??

Hate to see that...

Maybe it's because I am getting older (50) and dont wanna see the day I post this.

I'm hoping this will be an annual post by you brutus. As in you change your mind and hunt next year then say the same later... kinda like mtmuleys cowboys will win the superbowl in the campfire forum..

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

My father got to the same point you are at about the same age. He never was much for big game hunting, always more of an upland hunter, he knew my brother and I liked it so he took us. The last buck he shot, made him miserable. He has come along on a few antelope and deer hunts since then but has no desire at all to kill one himself. Its not that uncommon.

PUZZY!:D

(((RAZZIN YA!:D)))

You know that sometimes it takes 11-1/2 Months just to Heal Up & do it again,Right?:D

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I'm older than that.........Nope I'm not done. I told my brothers that I want to die of a massive heart attack after having shot the biggest bull I've ever seen just as I'm pulling out my Hatfield knife to gut it. My younger brother said to make sure that it's close to a road so they don't have to drag us both out.

I know where you are coming from. I had such a hard time on my moose hunt with my knees, back, and ankles. I love being out in the mountains, but wonder if it is worth all the pain and stress. I worried a lot about getting my moose when I was alone and how that would work. I went deer hunting with my kids and was still able to clean an old buck quickly without a lot of pain, but they done the lifting and dragging. I still have the desire but wonder how much longer it will be worth it. I am not enthused about doing the road hunting thing but it has just about came to that. I guess I can go hunt with my phone scope and spotting scope. Both work and no blood...haha....gonna keep trying anyway

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-19 AT 06:36PM (MST)[p]>PUZZY!:D
>
>(((RAZZIN YA!:D)))
>
>You know that sometimes it takes
>11-1/2 Months just to Heal
>Up & do it again,Right?:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I think I'm just an old softy. I just don't like to kill stuff anymore!! ?

I hate to admit it but at 62 I feel limited as well. It's hard to face the music. If I can't hunt with Sons I am not sure I will keep going. I have a nice camera and telephoto lens. That might have to do.

Damn I will be 62 in January. I know I can't hunt as hard as I used too but I can still hunt hard. The only reason I exercise daily is to try and follow my boys around the hills.
I'm hoping you have a different outlook come next fall. Who knows maybe in a few years there will be some moose to hunt!

I turn 65 in January. It has been a tough year for me as well. It started with a friend's goat hunt. We got a goat but darn near got killed in the process. On the goat opener, I hiked in 8 miles with a full backpack. It was a slow and tedious process. The temps in Wyoming have been unseasonably cold and I feel it every time I go out. I spent a whole day on October 11th watching a mule deer migration trail. The temperature was 5 below and there was a foot of snow on the ground.

I am headed out in the AM for my last day of backcountry mule deer hunting for the year. I am going solo and could easily talk myself out of going. I don't want to let the "old man" in and let something go that I still enjoy. My 43 year old son was going to deer hunt with me again. I told him not to bother because of the recent season changes that have literally wrecked the mule deer hunting close to home. The G&F claim that they will reassess the situation down the road, and maybe return to the old season dates. I will be dead before these bureaucrats and carnival barkers ever figure it out.

I am going deer hunting in Idaho with my 41 year old son starting November 10th. It will be some good times. I hope I can last for 5 days.

just sayin...mh

I think we will all know when it is time to quit - personally I still have the desire to hunt but also have to recognize that as we get older we have to make some adjustments. I can also understand how one feels about taking the life of an animal - I don't get any joy out of killing but I love the chase and the meat. .

I'm 71 and I hear you brutus54. Part of my problem is I'm mostly a lone wolf when hunting. I only had one daughter and my grandsons don't live close, or hunt. I always hunt alone. Now, I hate driving to the hunt in California alone anymore. There is so much illegal marijuana around you never know when you might have to shoot your way out.

I was skinning a buck out at camp two years ago and 3 guys drove into camp. They asked if I was alone? Yep! They said man you're crazy being up here alone. You really shouldn't do that. My wife agrees.

It's fun to shoot a buck but as soon as it hits the dirt it's like, now look what I did...lol. The poor deer died for the sin of having antlers...lol. And the overall herd is in such poor shape to begin with, it almost feels like it should be illegal. It should be actually until the deer rebound, which they never will in California.

I can't speak from experience.

But my old man is in his 60s and every year he says ? I don't know how many more years I can do this.?

I dread the day the old man gives it in. My oldest is only 6 and I want him to experience some hunts with the crotchety old sh1t.

But we will al recognize that day I suppose. I did a 37 day stent of hunting this year, and did close to 300 miles and I couldn't tell you the vertical. But I know each year it gets harder, and slower. I am working for a couple days to rest and start another big stent after.

I ain?t 23 anymore!!

Only 69, but know how you feel. Camped in the motel by myself waiting for opener tomorrow. Sure was easy to glass and take pics this evening, but wasn?t the same as hunting. Hopefully a buck will cooperate this weekend, so I can get back to elk hunting next week!!!

It's sad to see and hear but I suppose I understand it. I've been the strong back and weak mind for a number of years. Most of my hunting buddies are 65 plus cause they have the points and need the help and I enjoy going. I dont mind the extra work in exchange for the experience. Maybe get younger friends with a strong back and weak mind.... lol

Man what a depressing thread!

My dad turned 72. After last years scare on the mountain with his heart, I thought he was done hunting!

About six months ago he finds some medication for his heart and feels like a new man!

So he decides to buy an elk tag and hunt alone! I tell him I'm going but with limited time because of my limited entry tag I have in my pocket.

We hunt hard for five days with many close calls on big bulls. We ride bikes 10 miles each of the five days. He can't hear an elk bugle or crash through the trees any more (too many years around jets in the air force).

At first he was saying he was gonna hunt for another five days after I left. By end of fifth day he was done! There was no way he woulda found one to shoot as noisy is he is because he can't hear well and can't see well either.

He still has a love for the sport!

We met a guy and his son up there a few years back. The guy was 82 and still hunts this his 55 yr old boy!

Never give up what ya love!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-19 AT 06:40AM (MST)[p]I'm kinda with you, but have big plans to keep going.

Im 59 in a couple of weeks (they call me bluehair because of how I drive;-)) and my bull this year may be my last - for sure the last in the bottom of a canyon. Just too damn big without help. And the help is getting older also - 59, 58, and 57 this year. I think we all just show up because we don't want to miss it when one of us finally goes tango uniform. I can walk all day but the pack trip is getting dangerous. I'm not in bad shape but parts are starting to fail. Knees, back, and as said the hands and joints.

I'm being pickier in the draw because there are some elk units where recovery is easier (not that I will ever draw there) and I just need to be smarter about where I hunt with the bow/ml here in CO. Deer is no problem, I'm lucky there. My sheep days are probably over unless I draw that desert tag.

I still have some unfinished business. I would like to finally go moose hunting someday, and the wife and I can have some fun chasing antelope. To be honest, the exercise from hunting is probably the only reason I can even get around at all. So yeah...I will keep looking forward to next season as long as I can. I don't wanna be done.:)

Bluehair
Splitting my time time between the winter and summer range......
May you live long enough to cash in those preference points. Amen

68 and still going. Archery elk this year. My goal is to kill a bull when I'm 70. After that, I may be an antelope hunter!

My Dad is 78 and had the same thought years ago. I told him I would try my best to do all I could to help him pack it out etc. He doesn't hunt nearly as hard but I think keeping him active helps in so many ways. Im 50 now and feel the same way about hunting alone. I wish I had hunting buddies or children to share it with because I just dont like to hunt alone anymore like I used to.

Your son could easily draw a tag if it was YOUR priority. Why relay on others to make that happen.

I'm 66 and just did the solo deer thing this past weekend. When I cleaned my buck, I took a long time but only because no one was waiting and I was thankful and enjoying the process.

There are indications that I'm slowing down but the drive is still there and as strong as ever. I guess that with serious illness or injury the drive would wain but it hasn't happened yet.

I like a nice camp, whether tent or trailer, more than I did in my youth but the actual hunt, success and processing is still very important to me.

Since I started having kids (45 years ago), the deer hunt has been about the kids and grand kids and I don't put the effort into it to trophy hunt. Sheep, moose, bears etc are another story. I get wound as tight as a 2 day clock over those hunts.

There's no right or wrong answer here.

Zeke

#livelikezac

I appreciate everybody's comments. But my whole point is I don't enjoy it like I used to. More pain than pleasure! This was my second big game hunt this year. I got a Pronghorn also I didn't make a clean shot on him and when I walked up on him he tried to get up. I felt bad like never before I didn't enjoy it one bit. ( I know make a better shot next time ). So this year I got beat up twice. I'm not enjoying the killing, cleaning, packing or unpacking. and processing my game when I get home anymore. But I sure enjoy the meat on my table all year. But that's not worth it anymore. I haven't even mentioned what out of state tags cost now days. My Dad quit hunting the year I started back in 1973 he was in he's late 30's. The reason he quit was he shot a Buck and wounded it he tried to shot him again but their was a dead log in the way. So he had to walk up closer to put him down and the Buck just laid there staring at him as he got closer. My dad said that was the worst feeling he every had and never went hunting again of any kind. I know exactly how he felt. I don't even like killing jack rabbits anymore. So when I feel this way I know it's time to put the rifle away and just go camping and fishing. At least I still enjoy that. :D

>Lots of excercise and stretching. Take
>4 Ibuprofen in the morning
>and 4 at night.

I hear ya on the Ibuprofen !!! I have small bottles laying around the house everywhere. It starts with this one. :D

10893img1926.jpg

My next ones coming from Costco :D

My dad turns 80 this year. He's "retired" form hunting a couple times now, and wants to un-retire again next year. He's made comments to me, very similar from the things you've said.
Maybe the same will happen to you. Maybe it won't. The hunting trip isn't always about the killing, its about the camp life with your friends and family too. Only you will know when your heart isn't into hunting anymore. Good luck, and I wish you the best!

hwy

So?

Don't kill stuff then. Men are pretty sad. Since when did you prove your manhood by killing stuff?

First. Why is doing everything yourself such a big deal? Your retired. If you have to take 3 times as long and gut stuff into small chunks, DO YOU HAVE TO GET BACK TO WORK?

My deer camp.

1 81yrold
1 75yr old who had a stroke
1 75 yr old with cancer
1 71yr old who is in good shape
1 56 yr old with a liver transplant
1 55yr old on disability from 30yrs of coal mining
1 55yr old with a fake hip.
1 52yr old with "all sorts of issues"

Me and my cousin are 46

Our boys, 18, 13, 8

The 3 "youngest" adults who were once kids the adults took care of, are now taking care of a bunch of old dudes. It hard. It is tiring.

IT IS THE BEST DAYS OF THE YEAR!!

Park your damn pride(yup this is a pep talk). Your old. Your not gonna whoop anyone's azz anymore. Your Peter can barely clear your zipper let alone please your old lady. You are deaf, blind, and slow.

And those buddies of yours in camp, would be devastated if you weren't their.

So just dont shoot stuff. No one cares but you!

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

>My Dad is 78 and had
>the same thought years ago.
>I told him I would
>try my best to do
>all I could to help
>him pack it out etc.
>He doesn't hunt nearly as
>hard but I think keeping
>him active helps in so
>many ways. Im 50 now
>and feel the same way
>about hunting alone. I wish
>I had hunting buddies or
>children to share it with
>because I just dont like
>to hunt alone anymore like
>I used to.

2pines I'm in the same boat as you! My pops is 78 he is not into hunting like he used to be, but he still likes to go. I turned 51 today & think about hunting everyday, only my body is tore up from construction. I need a hip replacement, but can't afford with my crappy insurance, my back is jacked up because of my hip. I have no friends that hunt, they say they would like to go sometime then when you ask them its always a bs story. My son is 24 & has never been interested in hunting at all.
I hunt a lot solo because my dad can't get around that great & he can't always go. I dread the day when I'm going to have to call it quits, but when that time comes I will just have to pack a camera & drive the roads. The solo hunting worries me a lot now as so many things can go wrong. I'm in decent shape, but things happen. My wife hates when I go alone!!

>So?
>
>Don't kill stuff then. Men
>are pretty sad. Since
>when did you prove your
>manhood by killing stuff?
>
>First. Why is doing everything
>yourself such a big deal?
> Your retired. If
>you have to take 3
>times as long and gut
>stuff into small chunks, DO
>YOU HAVE TO GET BACK
>TO WORK?
>
>My deer camp.
>
>1 81yrold
>1 75yr old who had a
>stroke
>1 75 yr old with cancer
>
>1 71yr old who is in
>good shape
>1 56 yr old with a
>liver transplant
>1 55yr old on disability from
>30yrs of coal mining
>1 55yr old with a fake
>hip.
>1 52yr old with "all sorts
>of issues"
>
>Me and my cousin are 46
>
>
>Our boys, 18, 13, 8
>
>The 3 "youngest" adults who were
>once kids the adults took
>care of, are now taking
>care of a bunch of
>old dudes. It hard.
> It is tiring.
>
>IT IS THE BEST DAYS OF
>THE YEAR!!
>
>Park your damn pride(yup this is
>a pep talk). Your
>old. Your not gonna
>whoop anyone's azz anymore.
>Your Peter can barely clear
>your zipper let alone please
>your old lady. You
>are deaf, blind, and slow.
>
>
>And those buddies of yours in
>camp, would be devastated if
>you weren't their.
>
>So just dont shoot stuff.
>No one cares but you!
>
>
>From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN,
>PUBLIC LAND.

Damn Dude !! Are you a football coach or something ?? :D I said I was still going to Deer camp every year with the guys to be camp host. To enjoy the things I still like to do. And not do the thinks that don't make ME happy anymore for what ever reason I may Have. :D And did you read post #26 :D

>>So?
>>
>>Don't kill stuff then. Men
>>are pretty sad. Since
>>when did you prove your
>>manhood by killing stuff?
>>
>>First. Why is doing everything
>>yourself such a big deal?
>> Your retired. If
>>you have to take 3
>>times as long and gut
>>stuff into small chunks, DO
>>YOU HAVE TO GET BACK
>>TO WORK?
>>
>>My deer camp.
>>
>>1 81yrold
>>1 75yr old who had a
>>stroke
>>1 75 yr old with cancer
>>
>>1 71yr old who is in
>>good shape
>>1 56 yr old with a
>>liver transplant
>>1 55yr old on disability from
>>30yrs of coal mining
>>1 55yr old with a fake
>>hip.
>>1 52yr old with "all sorts
>>of issues"
>>
>>Me and my cousin are 46
>>
>>
>>Our boys, 18, 13, 8
>>
>>The 3 "youngest" adults who were
>>once kids the adults took
>>care of, are now taking
>>care of a bunch of
>>old dudes. It hard.
>> It is tiring.
>>
>>IT IS THE BEST DAYS OF
>>THE YEAR!!
>>
>>Park your damn pride(yup this is
>>a pep talk). Your
>>old. Your not gonna
>>whoop anyone's azz anymore.
>>Your Peter can barely clear
>>your zipper let alone please
>>your old lady. You
>>are deaf, blind, and slow.
>>
>>
>>And those buddies of yours in
>>camp, would be devastated if
>>you weren't their.
>>
>>So just dont shoot stuff.
>>No one cares but you!
>>
>>
>>From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN,
>>PUBLIC LAND.
>
>Damn Dude !! Are you a
>football coach or something ??
>:D I said I was
>still going to Deer camp
>every year with the guys
>to be camp host. To
>enjoy the things I still
>like to do. And not
>do the thinks that don't
>make ME happy anymore for
>what ever reason I may
>Have. :D And did you
>read post #26 :D

See. My pep talk worked!?

I think as we get older we all are less hard core.

But man im telling you with my crew there ain't no guarantees they will make it a year, and that thought really does break my heart.

Glad I changed your mind?

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

I'm paying tonight for the Mike's I put in trying to catch up to an Elk this morning. Neuropathy in my left foot is very painful. But I had fun trying.

I'm younger than you, but the knees, back and feet have been wreaking havoc. I've changed my tune more to just casual hunting. This year is the first in decades I didn't put anything in the freezer. Gonna have to eat more chicken and pork this next year. Blech.

Still, if I can't enjoy the hunt, I'm not going to do it. Relaxing more and enjoying the mountain keeps it enjoyable. I don't hunt where I think I can't get them out. I also find a greater saddness for killing. Not as in guilt, just my reverence for life has increased as I get older. Still death is part of life and if I and the right animal cross paths, I'll make meat. Didn't happen this year. Well, I did miss that one buck. Haven't done that in decades either. lol

This thread is actually pretty cool. The OP seems OK with his decision, and by the sound of it, probably could have hung it up earlier, since the desire wasnt there and the enjoyment was suffering. Sounds like someone that knows themselves well and is OK. The ones that are older, or suffering, but want to keep going as the love burns hot and don't want to give it up just yet or anytime soon. So they shouldnt! The younger folks want to be understanding and or provide a shot in the arm to the temporarily misguided ?drop-out? A) out of a genuine desire to help but maybe also B) becasue we all know that day will come and dont want to think about it, see it, or believe it so, even amongst a fellow. I am 19 yrs junior to OP and not stopping anytime soon, but man the hips are still hurting after my recent CO trip and I am worried I crossed over the mountain top some time in the past couple years, without even realizing it or having accomplished my ?goals? (as if any such thing matters when it comes to killing a certain size or number of animals). I just hope to have some great experiences for as many years as its fun, and if its not someday, or other things seem more fun, then I take some comfort knowing that hanging it up might not be the bitter dissapointment the young guys or even the old guys fear, but really a sort of step along the way, that when it happens might seem just pretty ho hum an natural, in the moment, given the context. No doubt, many will fight and go down swinging - but thats because they are fighting for what still makes them happy even then. And so fight they should. But not happy with it, no reason to fight. Move on and enjoy the memories and the camps and friends and bullcrsp story telling. Unretire and re-retire as many times as you want and live happily ever after the best way that works for you!

>This thread is actually pretty cool.
>The OP seems OK with
>his decision, and by the
>sound of it, probably could
>have hung it up earlier,
>since the desire wasnt there
>and the enjoyment was suffering.
>Sounds like someone that knows
>themselves well and is OK.
>The ones that are older,
>or suffering, but want to
>keep going as the love
>burns hot and don't want
>to give it up just
>yet or anytime soon. So
>they shouldnt! The younger folks
>want to be understanding and
>or provide a shot in
>the arm to the temporarily
>misguided ?drop-out? A) out
>of a genuine desire to
>help but maybe also B)
>becasue we all know that
>day will come and dont
>want to think about it,
>see it, or believe it
>so, even amongst a fellow.
>I am 19 yrs junior
>to OP and not stopping
>anytime soon, but man the
>hips are still hurting after
>my recent CO trip and
>I am worried I crossed
>over the mountain top some
>time in the past couple
>years, without even realizing it
>or having accomplished my ?goals?
>(as if any such thing
>matters when it comes to
>killing a certain size or
>number of animals). I just
>hope to have some great
>experiences for as many years
>as its fun, and if
>its not someday, or other
>things seem more fun, then
>I take some comfort knowing
>that hanging it up might
>not be the bitter dissapointment
>the young guys or even
>the old guys fear, but
>really a sort of step
>along the way, that when
>it happens might seem just
>pretty ho hum an natural,
>in the moment, given the
>context. No doubt, many will
>fight and go down swinging
>- but thats because they
>are fighting for what still
>makes them happy even then.
>And so fight they should.
>But not happy with it,
>no reason to fight. Move
>on and enjoy the memories
>and the camps and friends
>and bullcrsp story telling. Unretire
>and re-retire as many times
>as you want and live
>happily ever after the best
>way that works for you!
>

Damn well said. :D

I am 70 this year, and can't hit it as hard as I used to. One 10 or 12 mile day in the Wyoming high country, and I need a day or two of rest or easy hunting to recover. The extra cold weather at the end of the Wyoming elk season this year also put a crimp in things and I didn't even go out during the last 4 days of the hunt.

I haven't backpacked in and set up a spike camp the last two years. Camping in an tent with no stove isn't as fun as it used to be. I'm starting to have a little trouble with my knees and hips at times.

I am about ready to turn wimp and get a camping trailer for the latter season hunts, but I hope to keep hunting until I am at least 80. By then, all of my grandsons that want to hunt will be old enough to have hunted with me a few times.

Interesting thread - as for myself I am not done - as Clint Eastwood said, "Don,t Let The Ole Man In" - I turn 80 the end of this month and started hunting when I was 14. Missed a few years due to my job but haven't missed a hunt since 2003 - Have a couple of tags this year and still have meat in the freezer from last year. I don't do the big camp pack-in's like I use to and still walk - don't own an ATV and got rid of my horse and mules a couple years ago - when not elk and deer hunting, I am either riding my ole 1965 BSA or hunting birds with my lab. I know this will not last forever but I am definitely not ready to quit. Best of luck to all of you this year hunting.

Katoom, that was an awesome post!

For me, the older I get the harder it is to adapt to the changes that are taking place in the woods. Back in the day we hunted the same ground year after year and we knew the deer were going to be there. It's a lot more enjoyable when you can count on that. Everybody relaxes and has a great time. Now days I leave the house not knowing exactly where I'm going or where I'll end up. It's a constant state of anxiety. I want to be successful because that's the point of going in the first place. I guess I got pretty spoiled between the 60's and the 90's.

Yesterday morning I killed a small 4x4 mule buck. Years ago, he would have gotten a pass. The deer hunting is so bad up here in NW Wyoming. I hiked an hour and a half in the dark. Most of it was uphill. I was passed in the dark by a young couple. It was if I was standing still when they went by me. At 8:00 AM the buck came through in a horrible spot. One shot through the heart at 220 yards. That is where the fun ended.

It took me the next 10 hours to get him to the truck. I was alone. A few years ago, I could still pack a whole buck out in one trip. I remind myself of a turtle on its back when I try it now. I did move it whole to a ridge uphill to a saddle. Ugh. I had a sow grizzly hanging around. Around here it pays to make a one shot kill. The bears have more trouble getting to you without hearing a few well placed shots for a homing beacon.

I still love it. If I was a road hunter, backyard shooter or a forky hunter I could still get it done. Unfortunately, I love to hunt in the high lonesome.

just sayin...mh

This was my last year for hunting deer. I am really getting old, can't feel my feet and forty percent of my graduating class is dead, but I am still going to donate money for the draw as long as I have grandkids that I can mentor.

I got burned out had to switch up weapons and units and take some time off. Don't take it so serious. Don't feel like you need to do everything yourself you paid your dues it's okay to have someone else do some things for you.

I can relate to a lot of what's been said, and enjoyed everyone's stories, takes, etc. I'm 73, never killed a bull elk, and only hunted for one once when I drew 11 YEARS ago...I have a tag this year, and am going with a guide friend...I thought the excitement would be over the top.I drove around and saw several decent bulls right from the road during the muzzle loader hunt...I was more excited just videotaping and taking pictures, besides it was warmer, my knees, back, joints hands weren't too bothered. I'll have to see how this hunt goes whether I continue or not. All my old hunting buddies I really made lifetimes worth of memories (my Dad, uncle,cousins) are no longer alive,and I worry about hunting alone ( I survived a couple miracle trips or falls that should have resulted in a S&R operation; and on one hunt, I spent half the time on Chiropractor visits!). I will have to assess future hunts to see if my heart and health are up to it. I have become obsessed with just riding around trying to encounter the animals up close and just capturing the moments on video or picture shots. Don't even use phonescope or my spotting scope any more. And from a lot of input seen on this post, I guess "to each his own" decisions need to be made!

While that sucks... Here's an idea: Hire someone to process your meat & let the younger guys do the grunt work at camp. Problem solved.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-19 AT 11:51AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-19 AT 11:33?AM (MST)

>While that sucks... Here's an idea:
> Hire someone to process
>your meat & let the
>younger guys do the grunt
>work at camp. Problem
>solved.

I won't eat anything that I didn't process myself. I don't trust that I would get back my own meat. The thought of getting somebody else's meat that has been sitting out in the sun for days with the hide on turn's my stomach. And my younger friend's have offered to help. But my main issue is I'm just getting to the point where I don't like the killing part anymore. Or the processing of my game. I have been big game hunting since 1973 Deer, Elk, And Pronghorn In three different states. And I have filled my tags most every year. But I haven't went after elk for a while to hard to get out Lol. The last few year's haven't been as fun for me getting burned out I guess. So it's time to be camp host and enjoy just being in Deer camp with my friends. :D

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-19
>AT 11:51?AM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-19
>AT 11:33?AM (MST)

>
>>While that sucks... Here's an idea:
>> Hire someone to process
>>your meat & let the
>>younger guys do the grunt
>>work at camp. Problem
>>solved.
>
>
>I won't eat anything that I
>didn't process myself. I don't
>trust that I would get
>back my own meat. The
>thought of getting somebody else's
>meat that has been sitting
>out in the sun for
>days with the hide on
>turn's my stomach. And my
>younger friend's have offered to
>help. But my main issue
>is I'm just getting to
>the point where I don't
>like the killing part anymore.
>Or the processing of my
>game. I have been big
>game hunting since 1973 Deer,
>Elk, And Pronghorn In three
>different states. And I have
>filled my tags most every
>year. But I haven't went
>after elk for a while
>to hard to get out
>Lol. The last few year's
>haven't been as fun for
>me getting burned out I
>guess. So it's time to
>be camp host and enjoy
>just being in Deer camp
>with my friends. :D

I hear ya.. I've had a few buddies go through the same thing. They instead picked up a great camera and started shooting the animals with a lens instead of a bullet. They find amazing enjoyment out of that. Good luck to you!

I hear ya. I've been somewhat this way for a few years and I'm behind you on the age scale quite a bit. Years ago I started to feel bad taking a critter. Not guilty for it just bad in a sense of reverence. Matter of fact, I don't much care for sharing a big game camp with anyone who doesn't feel that way. Most years I use it as an excuse to take a rifle for a walk and spend some quiet time in the sage brush that would have otherwise been just another day in this rat race. Some of my best memories are good animals I could have taken but rather let them walk out of the cross hairs. A good hunt is so much more than pulling a trigger...or at least it is to me. Many may say I suck at hunting and it's an excuse. I don't care. I gave up caring what others thought a long time ago. I do what works for me. I think I have punched 3 tags in the last decade. Two deer and a OIL. Some folks get waaaay too caught up in filling their tag as if their masculinity depends on it. Personally, most of the dudes I know who will fill a tag at any cost are also the same who cry the loudest about low herd numbers. Go figure. My kids are getting old enough now I can mentor them on some pretty decent general tags since I bought a lifetime tag prior to their sunset.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>I hear ya. I've been
>somewhat this way for a
>few years and I'm behind
>you on the age scale
>quite a bit. Years
>ago I started to feel
>bad taking a critter.
>Not guilty for it just
>bad in a sense of
>reverence. Matter of fact,
>I don't much care for
>sharing a big game camp
>with anyone who doesn't feel
>that way. Most years
>I use it as an
>excuse to take a rifle
>for a walk and spend
>some quiet time in the
>sage brush that would have
>otherwise been just another day
>in this rat race.
>Some of my best memories
>are good animals I could
>have taken but rather let
>them walk out of the
>cross hairs. A good
>hunt is so much more
>than pulling a trigger...or at
>least it is to me.
> Many may say I
>suck at hunting and it's
>an excuse. I don't
>care. I gave up
>caring what others thought a
>long time ago. I
>do what works for me.
> I think I have
>punched 3 tags in the
>last decade. Two deer
>and a OIL. Some
>folks get waaaay too caught
>up in filling their tag
>as if their masculinity depends
>on it. Personally, most
>of the dudes I know
>who will fill a tag
>at any cost are also
>the same who cry the
>loudest about low herd numbers.
> Go figure. My
>kids are getting old enough
>now I can mentor them
>on some pretty decent general
>tags since I bought a
>lifetime tag prior to their
>sunset.
>
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Well said. We all hunt for different reasons and none of them are wrong. Like you said it's whatever makes you happy and everybody should respect that. :D

WOW...??..THIS THREAD HITS HARD !!! AT 66 YOA I HAVE HUNTED WAY TOO MUCH, IN FACT HUNTED MYSELF OUT TWICE (BURN OUT). NO LONGER A HARD CORE TYPE HUNTER, BUT STILL LOVE TO HUNT ELK WITH ANY WEAPON. I HAVE NO OTHER HOBBIES, EXCEPT FISHING. I THINK I WILL HAVE TO SLOW DOWN BIT, BUT SEE THE END IS NEAR.....5-6 MORE YEARS. DEER HUNTING IS NO LONGER A BIG THING FOR ME, AND THIS CONCERNS ME. I REALLY DO HUNT HOGS & YOTES 9 MONTHES OUT OF THE YEAR HERE IN CALI., AND LOVE IT. THIS IS THE REASON I GOT BURNED OUT TWICE. BEEN THERE DONE THAT TYPE OF THING.

GOOD THREAD...?????...YD.

Brutus, I'm sure there are some new hunters in your circle of family and friends that would love to be pointed in the right direction from an experienced outdoorsman. Anything from tips on the back country to maybe just to tag along for some confidences. The younger guys just think they have the answers. Good luck next year. PS.If your rifle needs a new home PM. me. LOL

I'm 56 and feeling it more and more all the time. my boys keep me going and I can't even think about them going without me. I had my first Grandson this year and my goal is to keep at it till he goes on his first big game hunt at least. I do spend more time in the truck and less time hiking than I used to and I'm fine with that. At least I'm on a mountain and not a couch.

I'm 56 and talk about retiring after every hunt. But after several days the pain goes away and I forget about that part of it and can't wait until the next hunt. I've already backed out of going hunting with my buddies in Colorado because I'm just slowing them down. So I will just concentrate on my home state of Nevada. I hunt alone mostly because a lot of the young guys don't like back pack hunting as much as I do. I've gone through several youngsters over the years but thats ok. I love this thread because I see plenty of old guys hunting alone for many reasons. So for now I will just keep doing my thing and when I quit I will live through you people who can still do it and I will start hanging out in my friends hunting camps sometimes. But mostly I will just spend more time with my wife and I'm really looking forward to that. :D fatrooster

Well at 60 I'm close to calling it good. For all these know it alls or youngsters that do not have a clue what they'll be facing in their sixtys, you just waite. Life is different for everyone. I've had back surgeries shoulder surgeries and still get at it. But its definitely not as easy as it was. If it is your time to stop remember the good times and screw what everyone else thinks. Sometimes I feel like I get a bigger rush out of filming these days, less work and not as hard on the body. Enjoy.

Wow. I turned 67 in SEP and while I an not go like when I was 27 I still feel pretty good. Did a moose hunt the first week of Oct, NJ archery bear hunt second week of Oct then went to NY on the Salmon River for 5 days of steelhead fishing. But that being said my best friend has prerttry much packed it in. If you are good with the decision good for you but there is nothing wrong with having others help. That's why most of my current hunting buddies are in there 40's. lol.

Well I just turned 67 and still love to hunt but now that Im retired I mix It up more with fishing and golf. I did a Newfoundland moose hunt this year which was the last hunt on my bucket list.I love to hunt as much as always but I'd have to say I do not enjoy the travel getting there as much. I have a bunch of deer points in CO and WY and moose and elk in UT. Figure I'll pick away at those as long as I can. Good luck and you might be surprised that in a couple years you may pick it up again.

You should continue to put in for tags and mentor them to your grand kids if you have any. I am convinced the only way we will keep the upcoming generation interested in big game hunting is if we give them the opportunity to hunt by passing on a tag.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

I too made a decision back in the spring that I was done this year. I'm 63 years old and my real passion is always been waterfowl anyway as you can tell by my moniker by the way I'm new to your site. I decided to cash in my 18 points and draw a Wasatch late rifle tag. I've always been an archery Hunter but a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder ended my archery career this year. I just don't have the passion for big game like I used to, I don't look forward to those early morning hikes up the hill especially in August and September. All my friends have quit hunting and I'm just too damn old to do it by myself anymore. I've had two knee replacements in the last 2 years one in July which was totally unexpected. So I decided this elk hunt would be my last hurrah I hired a guide and like I said I did not expect that have this knee replacement in July and right up until three weeks ago I didn't know if I was going to be able to do this hunt but I just kept working at it and riding my bike and went into the hunt last Friday thinking I can probably do this. We hunted out of wallsburg down through hobble Creek canyon and I ended up taking a bull down the Little valley drainage just above the left fork of hobble Creek in some awful rough territory. It took me two hours after I shot the elk just to get up to him and luckily my guide had some help I took the back straps down and they brought the rest. We glassed up over 65 bulls in the 3 days we hunted and I finally decided on this one. I had hopes of a bigger bull off this unit but I could tell early on that there's not a lot of those 370 bulls runninh around the Wasatch anymore and this is a very nice bull and frankly for me this home was more about the experience than inches and I couldn't have been happier with the hunt and the results.I used my guides gun a fierce 28 nosler with a nice Zeiss scope and even though I don't think I've ever shot over 300 yards I made a 812 yard shot through both shoulders and the rest was history. I can settle back now and enjoy my retirement waterfowl hunting and let the dog do most of the work.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-19 AT 03:30AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-19 AT 01:15?PM (MST)

First off I'm new to the site at least as a participant. I also came to the conclusion last winter that I just had lost that desire to hunt big game the passion that I once had had disappeared. I'm 63 years old and my real passion has always been waterfowl hunting anyway but I've been a archery Hunter for 40 plus years. My big problem was what to do with 18 elk points. After a little research I decided to draw the late Wasatch tag and hire a guide and make the most of my last hurrah. I was just getting over a knee replacement from a year ago it was actually a revision, may 20 year old knee replacement broke and I had to have that replaced in February of 2018 and figured I'd be in good enough shape to be able to do that hunt no problem then I had to have another one just this last July totally unexpected and I begin to have serious doubts about this hunt but once I got down to my camp and talked it over with my guide we figured I'd just take it one step at a time and try not to overdo it and basically enjoy the hunt. I had a fantastic time and I'm still recuperating two days after I got home from the hunt but I have memories that will last forever from this last big game hunt. To me this was all about the experience not inches although if I'd seen a monster bull I would have taken it, we spotted up over 65 bulls in 3 days and I decided on a bull down in the Little valley drainage just above the left fork of hobble Creek canyon in some god-awful country. I was using my guides rifle since I wasn't comfortable with mine at these long yardages we were seeing down there. I've always considered myself a good rifle shot but I hadn't shot my weapon at anything over 300 yards before this hunt. So I used his fierce 28 nosler with a nice Zeiss scope. The elk was bedded down at 812 yards I got a good rest in a tree felt pretty comfortable with it and after about a 20-minute wait he stood up and I put one right through his shoulders and the rest was history. Although it took me over two hours to hike up to him the guide had some help and they brought everything down but the backstrap I figured I should at least help that much. So unless I draw moose some day or asportsman's tag it's time to kick back and enjoy my waterfowl seasons with my big yellow lab Hank, letting him do most the work.
94606img201911101622401.jpg

Every one questions their drive at some point.
I read a article years ago that really
Hit home with me.
I cut it out and laminated it.I have kept it for many years.
I'd like to share it.If I could figure out how to post.
I would only pass it on as food for though.
So No judging or trashing my option cause it's just something to think about.
When I can get it posted you can ask yourself We?re do you fit in?

>Every one questions their drive at
>some point.
>I read a article years ago
>that really
>Hit home with me.
>I cut it out and laminated
>it.I have kept it for
>many years.
>I'd like to share it.If I
>could figure out how to
>post.
>I would only pass it on
>as food for though.
>So No judging or trashing my
>option cause it's just something
>to think about.
>When I can get it posted
> you can ask yourself
>We?re do you fit in?
>

I sure would like to read it. :D

Some people go hunting, others are hunters.
The difference has nothing to do with skill or refined
ethics. One is not generally superior to the other. The difference may be in the molecular dots and
dashes of genetic code. It may have to do with the bending of character in the tender years of
childhood. Whatever the case, the result is the same.
An outfitter friend of mine had a client with time and money enough to put a lot of heads on the walls
of his spacious trophy room. One day, the client called my friend and said he meant to sell his trophies.
He had gotten himself a new wife who disapproved of hunting.
It was a long time before I came around to understanding that man. My first reaction was glib. Get
another wife. Then I wondered how a man marries a woman without knowing she is going to grind him
for hunting. And if he does know her inclination why bother with her at all?
Fact is, my thinking was wrong. I expect the man did what was right for him. I hope he simply cared
more for the woman than he did for hunting. I hope he was just the sort of man who just went hunting.
Because he and his new wife have hard times coming if he is a hunter.
Except for those hampered by ill health or advanced age, people who ?used to hunt ?invariably turn out
to be people who went hunting. They will tell you how they quit when they went to college or moved to
the city. They make it sound reasonable as if reason counted for anything. To a hunter, these
explanations sound more than slightly strange. As in, ?yes, I used to breathe a lot, but it really is too
much trouble when you live in Chicago?. For the hunter, you see, does not go as a matter of
convenience .He goes because he must. And even if you sentence him to pavement for an indeterminate
period, he remains a hunter. He will cease to be a hunter when he ceases being.
At the end of his life, my father was sick for a long time. We both knew he was never going to get better.
And two weeks before he died, we talked about a new gun he wanted, the shooting he would do with it.
He was a hunter.
Ask a man who goes hunting what he is and he will probably give you his occupation, fry cook,
podiatrist, astronomer. Like as not, he thinks of himself as being that job. The hunter will ordinarily
make the same kind of response. He is lying. He will state his occupation to satisfy social convention, but
he knows full well that the thing he does is for money is not what he is.
As an aside, the term sportsman is one I have never liked much as a synonym for ?hunter??.it makes me
think of polo players, racing yachts and men who lack purpose.it also makes me think of winning or
losing and competition, which is fine in athletics but are sorry reasons for hunting.
By the same token, ?sportsmanship seems a rather feeble word for the behavior required of hunters. A
bad sport is disagreeable. A bad hunter is corrupt.
Sportsmanship is about manners, politeness, and being gracious to an opponent. They are excellent
qualities, but insufficient to guide a person through the complexity of a hunting life.
The animal hunted is not an opponent and hunting is decidedly not a game.
There is no certain way to predict whether a person will be a hunter, one who goes hunting or one with
utterly no desire to hunt. A partner of mine whose family traditions are so deeply rooted in hunting, has
a son who was introduced properly, encouraged, and given every opportunity to become a hunter. He is
a fine young man in all respects, but you could not make him show up to deer camp with a club. Another
man of my acquaintance was born to a family of aristocratic, city dwelling intellectuals. He never spent a
day in the field until he was grown and had a family of his own. Despite the odds, he is a hunter to the
bone. Pushing a youngster in either direction is useless.
I knew parts of this year?s ago. Yet the whole thing came clear only within the last month, as I read a
promotional flier for an outdoor magazine.
The flier contained a single sentence, reportedly spoken
from Sitting Bull. Which is about as strong and straight as words can be. ?WHEN THERE ARE NO MORE BUFFALO,WE WILL HUNT MICE,FOR WE ARE HUNTERS AND WANT OUR FREEDOM.?

A non-hunter might get tangled up in the plight of the buffalo and the injustices visited the Sioux:The
hunter will not. This is not a statement of sorrow or regret. Instead, it is an eloquently simple
observation on the nature of hunters and the hunting is natural. It also contains the absolute
justification for hunting when basic survival is no longer at issue.
The modern hunter routinely leaves the comforts of home, travels great distances, spends considerable
amounts of money and endures physical hardship. These hunts are done with no assurance of success.
Indeed the hunter often knows in advance the odds are heavily against him.
Hunters have not been reduced to hunting mice precisely because they saw that wildlife required
assistance almost a century ago. Hunters have a perfectly legitimate claim to the animals they pursue, a
claim far more compelling than the perverted foolishness of the ?animal rights? movement.
Hunting is more than recreation, more than a wildlife management tool, more than an ancient
occupation.
Some are Hunters and want their freedom.

Full cry I love it. I was questioning my drive about a little over a year ago when I had some health problems and was burnt out and missed being with the family. I could not stop being Hunter though I did change my perspective on things. I was getting caught up in the YouTube slash Instagram thing and it ruined it for me for a while.

>Some people go hunting, others are
>hunters.
> The difference has nothing to
>do with skill or refined
>
>ethics. One is not generally superior
>to the other. The difference
>may be in the molecular
>dots and
>dashes of genetic code. It may
>have to do with the
>bending of character in the
>tender years of
>childhood. Whatever the case, the result
>is the same.
> An outfitter friend of
>mine had a client with
>time and money enough to
>put a lot of heads
>on the walls
>of his spacious trophy room. One
>day, the client called my
>friend and said he meant
>to sell his trophies.
>He had gotten himself a new
>wife who disapproved of hunting.
>
> It was a long time
>before I came around to
>understanding that man. My first
>reaction was glib. Get
>another wife. Then I wondered how
>a man marries a woman
>without knowing she is going
>to grind him
>for hunting. And if he does
>know her inclination why bother
>with her at all?
> Fact is, my thinking
>was wrong. I expect the
>man did what was right
>for him. I hope he
>simply cared
>more for the woman than he
>did for hunting. I hope
>he was just the sort
>of man who just went
>hunting.
>Because he and his new wife
>have hard times coming if
>he is a hunter.
> Except for those hampered by
>ill health or advanced age,
>people who ?used to hunt
>?invariably turn out
>to be people who went hunting.
>They will tell you how
>they quit when they went
>to college or moved to
>
>the city. They make it sound
>reasonable as if reason counted
>for anything. To a hunter,
>these
>explanations sound more than slightly strange.
>As in, ?yes, I used
>to breathe a lot, but
>it really is too
>much trouble when you live in
>Chicago?. For the hunter, you
>see, does not go as
>a matter of
>convenience .He goes because he must.
>And even if you sentence
>him to pavement for an
>indeterminate
>period, he remains a hunter. He
>will cease to be a
>hunter when he ceases being.
>
> At the end of his
>life, my father was sick
>for a long time. We
>both knew he was never
>going to get better.
>And two weeks before he died,
>we talked about a new
>gun he wanted, the shooting
>he would do with it.
>
>He was a hunter.
> Ask a man who goes
>hunting what he is and
>he will probably give you
>his occupation, fry cook,
>podiatrist, astronomer. Like as not, he
>thinks of himself as being
>that job. The hunter will
>ordinarily
>make the same kind of response.
>He is lying. He will
>state his occupation to satisfy
>social convention, but
>he knows full well that the
>thing he does is for
>money is not what he
>is.
> As an aside, the term
>sportsman is one I have
>never liked much as a
>synonym for ?hunter??.it makes me
>
>think of polo players, racing yachts
>and men who lack purpose.it
>also makes me think of
>winning or
>losing and competition, which is fine
>in athletics but are sorry
>reasons for hunting.
>By the same token, ?sportsmanship seems
>a rather feeble word for
>the behavior required of hunters.
>A
>bad sport is disagreeable. A bad
>hunter is corrupt.
>Sportsmanship is about manners, politeness, and
>being gracious to an opponent.
>They are excellent
>qualities, but insufficient to guide a
>person through the complexity of
>a hunting life.
> The animal hunted is not
>an opponent and hunting is
>decidedly not a game.
> There is no certain
>way to predict whether a
>person will be a hunter,
>one who goes hunting or
>one with
>utterly no desire to hunt. A
>partner of mine whose family
>traditions are so deeply rooted
>in hunting, has
>a son who was introduced properly,
>encouraged, and given every opportunity
>to become a hunter. He
>is
>a fine young man in all
>respects, but you could not
>make him show up to
>deer camp with a club.
>Another
>man of my acquaintance was born
>to a family of aristocratic,
>city dwelling intellectuals. He never
>spent a
>day in the field until he
>was grown and had a
>family of his own. Despite
>the odds, he is a
>hunter to the
>bone. Pushing a youngster in either
>direction is useless.
> I knew parts of
>this year?s ago. Yet the
>whole thing came clear only
>within the last month, as
>I read a
>promotional flier for an outdoor magazine.
>
> The flier contained a single
>sentence, reportedly spoken
>from Sitting Bull. Which is about
>as strong and straight as
>words can be. ?WHEN THERE
>ARE NO MORE BUFFALO,WE WILL
>HUNT MICE,FOR WE ARE HUNTERS
>AND WANT OUR FREEDOM.?
>
> A non-hunter might get
>tangled up in the plight
>of the buffalo and the
>injustices visited the Sioux:The
>hunter will not. This is not
>a statement of sorrow or
>regret. Instead, it is an
>eloquently simple
>observation on the nature of hunters
>and the hunting is natural.
>It also contains the absolute
>
>justification for hunting when basic survival
>is no longer at issue.
>
> The modern hunter routinely leaves
>the comforts of home, travels
>great distances, spends considerable
>amounts of money and endures physical
>hardship. These hunts are done
>with no assurance of success.
>
> Indeed the hunter often knows
>in advance the odds are
>heavily against him.
>Hunters have not been reduced to
>hunting mice precisely because they
>saw that wildlife required
>assistance almost a century ago. Hunters
>have a perfectly legitimate claim
>to the animals they pursue,
>a
>claim far more compelling than the
>perverted foolishness of the ?animal
>rights? movement.
> Hunting is more than recreation,
>more than a wildlife management
>tool, more than an ancient
>
>occupation.
>Some are Hunters and want their
>freedom.

That's a hell of a lot to think about. Thanks for sharing. :D

Thank You
I know it is a long read.
But anytime I have ever questioned why I do what I do I think of parts of this message.
I know what I am.Sometimes I may not even like it.
But it saved a lot of therapy.
I think I have read this easily 100 times
In the last 30 years.
I'm very thankful to have my Freedom.
It's our choice.?

fullcry, I like it! And the hunter doesn't turn it off and on with the posted seasons. He lives it 365 days a year. It's a mind set. He may not kill every day and in fact he may quit killing at some point, but it's in his soul. He can't buy it, sell it, have it given to him, or give it away and he carries it to the grave no matter what age.

>I hear ya. I've been
>somewhat this way for a
>few years and I'm behind
>you on the age scale
>quite a bit. Years
>ago I started to feel
>bad taking a critter.
>Not guilty for it just
>bad in a sense of
>reverence. Matter of fact,
>I don't much care for
>sharing a big game camp
>with anyone who doesn't feel
>that way. Most years
>I use it as an
>excuse to take a rifle
>for a walk and spend
>some quiet time in the
>sage brush that would have
>otherwise been just another day
>in this rat race.
>Some of my best memories
>are good animals I could
>have taken but rather let
>them walk out of the
>cross hairs. A good
>hunt is so much more
>than pulling a trigger...or at
>least it is to me.
> Many may say I
>suck at hunting and it's
>an excuse. I don't
>care. I gave up
>caring what others thought a
>long time ago. I
>do what works for me.
> I think I have
>punched 3 tags in the
>last decade. Two deer
>and a OIL. Some
>folks get waaaay too caught
>up in filling their tag
>as if their masculinity depends
>on it. Personally, most
>of the dudes I know
>who will fill a tag
>at any cost are also
>the same who cry the
>loudest about low herd numbers.
> Go figure. My
>kids are getting old enough
>now I can mentor them
>on some pretty decent general
>tags since I bought a
>lifetime tag prior to their
>sunset.
>
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

You make good points here. I grew tired of mentoring younger (and older} guys when they placed too much importance on filling the tag. "I can't go home empty-handed, my wife will kill me"

Excellent post Fullcry on defining what a hunter is but I would also ask the question what is hunting - there are those that object to long range shooting, and 4wheelers. The definition of ethical may take on a different definition to groups of people that may fit the definition of a hunter. Or maybe not - guess if you don't break the law you are a hunter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom