JACKASS...

monstermuleyman

To the individual who thought it necessary to bust my buddies window out in Wyoming last week and steal NOTHING but my hard Swarovski binocular case and the lens cover, I hope you enjoy it and take as good of care of it as I did! I am assuming it was a redneck Wyoming hunter who saw the Utah license plates and decided to take a closer look. There was an Ipod, an in dash CD player, his Vortex bino case and cover, and all he cared about was the Swarovski name. Why not steal everything worth money if your going to commit the crime...there was no one around for miles. It makes me sick that people (fellow hunters) would do sh!t like that! If people work hard to pay for hunting equipment, or nice vehicles, leave them the hell alone. If you cant afford nice things, work harder, save some money, or get a damn education.
Coincidentally, according to utahwildlife.net, not far from that site, on the same afternoon, a guy and his wife were out on foot hunting. When they got back to their truck, they were surprise to find all four of his truck tires slashed, and a bullet hole right into his engine block. I don't know about you fellow hunters, but if you had spent the day out in gods country enjoying yourself, and got back to your truck and saw someone had vandalized your property, you would be irate.
Lesson learned. Be aware where you park your vehicles and what you leave in them... apparently, the bad economy has brought out the best in people.

I learned a few decades ago that not all hunters are honorable and some are downright thieves.
At Graylodge waterfowl refuge, someone reached through the crack in my truck window and snagged my rain-coat.
At the Kaibab I was helping a hunter search for his 3x3 that he arrowed while the buck was 20 yards from me. He didn't know I was there so I didn't fault him. I did however get a real good look at the buck.
I tracked the buck and found him with 4 hunters on top of him, quickly quartering the animal.
I asked if they had seen a 3x3 about the same size as that one come through here. Nobody spoke.
I suggested that whoever had killed that buck, had better put his tag on it. Nobody did.
I had politely given them the opportunity to Do the right thing.
I have heard of deer hanging up in camp being stolen, so I know that it's other hunters that do such things.
Why ?
As to your Swarovski case being stolen. Obviously they thought it wasn't an empty case. Don't tempt them.
I always tell my wife not to lock up the vehicle with something in view that "appears" valuable. Sometimes she'll leave a purse on the seat and say "that's my make-up purse" or "it doesn't have anything of value in it" and I have to remind her of how valuable the glass is. I don't like spending $135 to replace a window because she left an empty purse on the seat.

Between Sage Creek, and Sage Junction, Wyoming. Right before the the "T" when you can go right to Kemmerrer, or left towards Jackson Hole.

glass_eye...
I agree with you. I always leave the binos in the case until i get to my destination to keep the lenses from scratching. I had tucked it under the seat as much as possible, but obviously not enough. You would like to believe there are some honest people in the world, and in the hunting community, but obviously not. Sometimes, ya gotta learn the hard way, I can tell you after this experience, it will NEVER happen again.

LAST TIME I HUNTED COLORADO I WAS ABOUT 1/4 MILE FROM MY TRUCK AND I SEE 2 GUYS FRIVE UP TO IT. ONE GOT OUT AND WAS LOOKING THRU THE WINDOWS. I GUESS HE WAS LOOKING AT WHAT HE COULD STEAL. WELL LITTLE DID HE KNOW HE WAS BEING WATCHED BY ME, AND I CAN TELL U NOW THAT IF HE HAD BROKE IN MY TRUCK IDE WOULD HAVE SHOT HIM. HE WAS LUCKY THAT DAY. I GET MAD AND I GET EVEN.

Redistribution of wealth seems to be the fad these days. They just removed the middle man.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I hear of this stuff happening all too often in wyoming, I had a buddy that went on a week long pack trip in the Bighorns, came out to find all the tires on his truck and trailer slashed. I think there needs to be some sting operations set up so some of these a**holes get caught!

I hunt a little in Wyoming and and have noticed that it is not a positive thing to have Utah plates.
Maybe it is like when I was a kid in the 60's and we blamed everything on those D@mn California hunters.
The solution I believe is to start a company where I will rent out plates of the state of your choosing to be used temporarily while hunting season is on.

Well if you guys from Utah weren't such d!cks?.

Seriously though. If you intend to be away from your vehicle for a long period of time, try and set up a trail cam on your vehicle. Preferably up in a tree, far enough away to avoid detection but, close enough to be effective. Might work or you might be out a trail cam in addition to everything else. Sure would be nice to catch the aholes that pull these stunts. Catch a few of them and they might think twice.

Have you ever seen the average Wyoming resident? :) :)

Apparently not since you seem shocked by what happened. LOL

I'd rather see Utah plates than Texas plates
oI_____Io
_?IIIIII?_
U______U

"You would like to believe there are some honest people in the world, and in the hunting community, but obviously not."

Why do you assume that it was a hunter? There are pleny of antihunters out there too, possibly out to see the countryside and decided to do some damage... Just as plausible.

Sorry about the damage and your loss.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I grew up in Wyoming and when I was a kid we hated Ubangees, that is what we called Utahn's. That was when I was a inmature kid, I am grown up now and live in Utah for work purposes, I still have friends that live in Wyoming, they have grown up now as well and have gotten over the hate for Ubangees. Unfortunately some people never grow up and stay kids for ever. I was hunting in the Smithfork area a few years back and a Wyoming resident( in his forty's) pulled over while I was glassing near a road side and proceeded to run off @ the mouth and tell me to go back to Utah among other things, long story short, he regretted doing that !!

I am not a fan of thieves. Hunters or not! I had my tool trailer stole out of my front yard and 12 grand worth of tools jacked. I am not saying I would shoot anyone that stole my stuff but I might cut their arms off so they couldn't ever steal again. I work my ass off for my stuff and when my wife and girls have to go without because of some piece of shiz that wont work for a living then I have a problem with that!

I always keep things out of site, because I dont trust ppl. I too have settled the crosshairs on my own truck from a distance. I hope I never have to shoot to scare or make a point. Im a terible shot. If ppl knew there was a chance of catchin a piece of lead, they probably wouldnt be stealing. HOME OR TRUCK.

I actually know several guys that had tires slashed two years in a row. They went to a junk yard and picked up some WY plates. They change them out before they hike in and leave the trucks. They have never had another problem.

Just be careful guys. Firing in someone's direction only to scare them is still a felony in most states called wanton endangerment. Each shot you fire adds another count (i.e. 3 shots equals 3 felonies).

You insinuate that it was a WY resident and yet you don't know jack about who took yer junk. If yer gonna knock residents when you don't have a clue, the feeling is mutual. We don't need yer sorry azz up here anyway. If the shoe fits...

thank you TripleBB. I was reading these posts i couldn't believe something hadnt' been said.

Sorry for your loss but screw you. No way it could have been some Utah kids that made the 2 hour drive. Seems to me anytime i'm over that way i see almost as many utah plates as wyoming out in the field. What a joke. Hell they were prob just trying to get some normal beer and got lost.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

Yeah all of the Wyomingites suck. Better go hunt somewhere else.

On the other hand, if your up this way and we cross paths, your welcome at my fire. We'll share some stories and I'll give you a couple of tips on the area.

A few bad apples don't a whole barrel make. Most of the locals I know treat the out of staters with every bit as much respect as each other. Sorry your stuff got stolen. Those of us with Wyoming plates have the same thing happen. A few bad ones. The majority are good people of the same brotherhood.

Now that is a the right attitude to have mmwb, I like to hunt multiple states and you are welcome @ my camp fire anytime.

If we were restricted to hunting our own resident state what a shame that would be ! But if that was the case, I believe every one would move to Wyoming;-)

I have hunted in Wyo. for over 25 years and never once have I had someone try to break into my truck or a person trucks I was with while hunting in WY. Not saying that it doesn't happening, but most likely some friggin kids or guys looking for a quick steal and sell for drugs.

Never had a run in with any Wyoming people, always had a good "hello" or "thanks".

Wyo has always been my favorite state to hunt.....and I'm one of those Kali hunters who use to be cursed as the saying goes.

Show respect, receive respect in return.

As far as those who break into vehicles and steal, they are in every state. Bunch of lowlifes who deserve a good ass kicking.

Brian

Sorry your stuff was taken. As you might have read I had stuff taken this year as well. What sucks about these @ss holes is that they make all of use look bad when none hunters hear about it. If you can't pay for your own gear stay out of the sport. A little less people on the hills and in the woods is fine by me. The rest of us work hard for our money to buy what we want and support our families if we have them. I think as a whole we need to crack down on law breakers. An eye for an eye.

Question....say you walk up on someone breaking into your vehicle and you have a firearm on you....what can you LEGALLY do with said firearm (e.g. can you make a citizen arrest and hold a gun on them?)? I've always thought that you could legally use a weapon to protect life and property? I'm not saying all property is worth shooting someone over.

Buckmania:

MOST states have laws that allow citizens to use the force they believe necessary to effect an arrest (i.e citizens arrest). Most people who know the criminal justice system from the inside (the criminals) would rather be arrested by a cop than a citizen. The police actions will be reviewed by internal affairs if the person makes a complaint. The citizens action will be viewed as to what the citizen believed was a reasonable amount of force to effect the arrest. In most cases the citizen will use more force than a cop. So the answer to your question is there is no hard line answer. Each person could do what they believed would be reasonable in different situations. HOWEVER, I don't know of any states that would allow a person to use deadly force to protect a vehicle. Also, know that if a person were to take a bat or boot to a kid who was breaking into your vehicle, most people would not call that reasonable and you would have some spalinin to the courts and a civil law suit.

I have worked in law enforcement for 12 years and that is my understanding. Please look up the laws in your areas and don't take anything you read on MM as the law. Some states have some very strange laws so be warned. JMHO

First off... I have NOTHING against people from Wyoming. In fact, I have some really good friends from Wyoming and would do anything for um'. It was wrong of me to assume that it was someone from Wyoming; but if you were in Logan, UT, and had your car broken into, would you not just assume based on location, and the majority of the individuals in the area are Utahans, that the odds would most likely point to a Utahan?
As far as me assuming it was indeed a hunter... Out of all the things that they could have taken, they took the one thing that was labeled with Swarovski. Seems to me that an individual who didn't hunt, or know hunting brands, would have just as well taken the Vortex stuff, or the I-pod. Seems a little odd to me...

If i was in logan, UT i wouldn't assume that it was a utahan, but if i was in logan, UT i would have already assumed my truck was going to be broken into. J/K

Being a Redneck Wyoming Hunter myself who doesn't break into trucks i just felt something needed to be said. There are bad apples everywhere.

Sooo you know a few of us wyoming folk.. makes you think you can rip us down. Only my fellow redneck wyoming hunters can call me a redneck wyoming hunter.. Thats all i can type right now because i have to go pay my dues to the NAAWRP(National Association for the Advancement of Wyoming Rednecks) With their help we can all stop breaking into trucks. Keep the faith

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

>If i was in logan, UT
>i wouldn't assume that it
>was a utahan, but if
>i was in logan, UT
>i would have already assumed
>my truck was going to
>be broken into. J/K
>
>Being a Redneck Wyoming Hunter myself
>who doesn't break into trucks
>i just felt something needed
>to be said. There
>are bad apples everywhere.
>
>Sooo you know a few of
>us wyoming folk.. makes you
>think you can rip us
>down. Only my fellow
>redneck wyoming hunters can call
>me a redneck wyoming hunter..
> Thats all i can
>type right now because i
>have to go pay my
>dues to the NAAWRP(National Association
>for the Advancement of Wyoming
>Rednecks) With their help
>we can all stop breaking
>into trucks. Keep the
>faith
>
>
>"blaming guns for violence is like
>blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell
>being fat."

Sucks being stereotyped don't it...
HH

My Brother had a bad experience one year, then the next year he rented a truck in Rock Springs and had a great hunt.

Wyoming plates made the difference.

>My Brother had a bad experience
>one year, then the next
>year he rented a truck
>in Rock Springs and had
>a great hunt.
>
>Wyoming plates made the difference.

Or.... the characters related to the first bad experience didn't cross paths with him the second time around....?

I had just consulted with a retired prosecutor. (my father) about the conditions of a citizens arrest.

Under the circumstance that we approached the vehicle while the vandals (not specifically labeling them Wyo rednecks) were breaking into the vehicle it would have been legal for me to pull my side arm. Pointing it at the vandals would only be legal under the circumstance that they were armed with any type of weapon. If they had used a bat to break the window they would have had .380 pointing at their vitals.

If they had an exposed side arm, any sudden movement would warrant shots fired into their vitals.

Under the circumstance that they were unarmed my exposed firearm would just be an empty threat. Unless they had attempted to physically overtake me. Otherwise they would have been able to casually walk back to the vehicle and drive off.

My best bet would have been to get them locked out of their own vehicle and call the police.

WARNING: If you ever break into my car do so unarmed. I was carrying last time I will be carrying next time. When you cross the liminal line of vandalism with a weapon you compromise all of your legal protection and you are at my mercy. The worst violation made is your poor judgement to compromise my safety by intruding on my property (if armed). Such an act warants death.

Wow, its getting deep in here. Even if you believe the law is on your side, there still is nothing from preventing you from getting charged for shooting the vandal. Of course, the vandal is going to have his own version of the truth that opposes your version. Two conflicting statements creates a genuine issue of material fact that is going to require a trier of fact (judge or jury) to render a decision. Hence, you are riding the pine to defend yourself at trial against the dirtball you shot. It's just not worth the trouble under these circumstances when it's only property. In today's age, the dirtball is probably going to sue you too. Pick your battles guys.

Ungulate, don't be surprised to be butt hurt (literally) when you find out it isn't that black and white. people with CCW's really should know better.

Ungulate,

Hopefully that post never comes back to face you in a court.

Sounds like pre-meditation to me. You have spelled out that you would willfully look for the opportunity to kill someone if they were taking your property.

I know there are many on here that would feel the same way if put in that situation, but coming on here and bragging that you would in essence plan to use deadly force in that situation is not smart.

By drawing a weapon, without them threatening you, you escalated the situation.

Believe me, I am not on the criminals side. If I was a prosecutor, I would find with the law abiding guy every time. Unfortunately, that is not the world we live in.

It is not that black and white. If you kill someone, regardless of the circumstances, expect to be arrested and charged. If evidence is fairly conclusive that you had absolutely no choice, then charges will probably be dropped. If you could've avoided the confrontation or, at any point backed out of the situation and didn't, then expect to spend some time incarcerated. By confronting the vandal, you have escalated the situation.

Even if you make it through the criminal system, you will no doubt face the civil courts. Even if you win in the civil courts, the legal fees will probably cost you more than the average persons home is worth, much less their pickup.

Right or wrong, fair or unfair, it is still best to avoid the confrontation if you can. If you can't or won't, diplomacy is the best policy. It isn't about the jerk getting his what for, its about you not bringing a world of hurt down on yourself and your own loved ones.

hillbill,reddog,ohio,and mm. You guys are definitely right and definitely on to something. I am willing to step back over the line and make a contribution to the passive side. With my original post I made an attempt to indicate that even in the event of meeting those guys face to face there is not very much that I could have done. Especially with a side arm. Like i mentioned the best bet to catch the guys is to immoblize them by somehow getting them locked out of their vehicles. Even under that circumstance there is nothing that would keep me from letting them walk off into the sage brush.

My last statement is indicative only to those willing to compromise my safety over property. Under the circumstance that I am genuinely fearful of losing my life I am willing to spend any amount in court fees to remain alive and provide for my wife and children.

If this still does not seem right I am perfectly fine with deleting the post for the sake of promoting more conservative speech about self defense.

Triple_BB and west, you are probably the same guys that go around keying all the cars with Utah plates on them at War Memorial Stadium after the Pokes get blasted by the "U" or the "Y"????

You guys are no better than the 'Necks down South, you know the "Deliverance" kind.......

2a0fcsk.gif

>Triple_BB and west, you are probably
>the same guys that go
>around keying all the cars
>with Utah plates on them
>at War Memorial Stadium after
>the Pokes get blasted by
>the "U" or the "Y"????
>
>
>
>You guys are no better than
>the 'Necks down South, you
>know the "Deliverance" kind.......
>
>
Really??????lol. Don't know what i said to get accused of that but what ever floats your boat and makes you feel better man.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-09 AT 01:51PM (MST)[p]Ungulate, I don't think you should delete your post. Aside from the gross over generalizations about residents of specific states, this thread has catalyzed some good conversation, brings up a topic that needs thought about by everyone before they run into a situation, and increases all of our educations.

Let them drive, get the plate number and detailed description of vehicle and occupants. Odds are they left prints all over. If gloved they probably left other evidence. Most things are not worth legal hassles and certainly not worth bodily harm or death.

I'd kill someone in a second to protect self or other innocents' lives, but don't have any illusion that it wouldn't mess with me emotionally for some time--even if I knew it was fully justified.

Every responsible professional I know advises avoiding deadly confrontation at all costs...even to the point of refraining from "searching" out an intruder unless innocents are in possible danger. Call the authorities and let them handle it.

That said,every confrontation is potentially deadly and I will not hesitate to use deadly force in the event of a reasonably perceived threat to me,my family or any other innocent person.

But all this blah,blah,blah about killing a guy over a theft,vandalism,etc. is mostly just irresponsible big talk to make the talker feel bigger IMO...

I had a guy in Twin Springs, Idaho run off at the mouth about out of state hunters one evening. I would bet he talks with a lisp and doesn't talk Sh!t in front of NR's any more.
Last thing I heard as I walked out the door was " looks Like ole ' Ben got what he was askin for".

Ironhead, lol. You would be surprised how polite people are where I grew up when they know that if they shoot off at the mouth someone just might step outside the bounds of civilized society and pop them in the mouth. My theory is the premise of Southern hospitality is founded upon this threat. LOL.

Where I currently live, people are nasty because that punch in the mouth threat doesn't exist. I'm not saying punching people in the mouth is the answer but I will say that I have noticed that people weigh their words careful where a punch in the mouth is a real possibility.

Y'all listen to MMWB, he's got the right idea and answer

it's just STUFF! Not worth taking a life over even if you get lucky enough to avoid prosecution and civil action. Period.

your life or someone else's in danger is the ONLY reason to ever use deadly force..

bunch of name brand crap ain't near worth that tab..

LH

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-09 AT 10:34AM (MST)[p] sounds to me like teenagers doing what they call car hopping.
they steal from cars just to steal then throw it out the window farther down the road. if you looked around the road out you may have found your stuff.
there is a gang that calls their self ICP that shoots car windows and car hops here in Casper area. they have stolen my call box and my wallet out of my truck only to throw it out a few blocks away the only thing they kept was the compact Bushnell binos i had for backup.
they in another incident shot the windows out of my truck and suburban in my driveway they broke over 60,000 dollars of windows out around town that night.
I'm sure every state has some sort of gang in it and Wyoming isn't immune to it.
it definitely fits their profile.

PS {after reading the rest of this post} everyone knows the threat of thieves and gang violence is to great in Wyoming so do the smart thing and stay home.
I'm with you on that last post hill billy where i grew up if you used the "f" word in front of a woman you would be pooping teeth for a month and therefor it didn't happen. you thought about what you said and where you said it. people were much better behaved and God was still why you behaved without either fear people behave worse and worse every year.
you didn't think what the laws thinks you should do you thought "thou shalt not kill" "tell death do us part" meant something and "thou shall not covet your neighbors property"
back then you would have been free to stomp them into the dirt and the cops would have warned you not to do that again you might have gotten your butt whooped.
some things need to be brought back into society to make it work and it dang sure isn't what our government is pushing now.

A guy in one of my classes says that his friend who owns a towing business somewhere in Northern Utah has been classed out like 3 times this year to get vehicles that were vandalized. Don't quote me on it, because I don't know how reliable my sources is. I just wish people would think before they act.

Dillon

pretty bad when you can't enjoy a hunt without worring about your truck or trailer getting broke into. I thought most of us were americans and all on the same side. slashing tires or any other similar acts is nothing but chicken shiz. make it known if I catch any body doing acts of vandalism to my truck in any state they will wish I would have shot them instead. it doesn't matter to me where you reside, we are supposed to be on the same side we all pay income tax to the same I R S. we have enough trouble with the anti-gun and peta people. If a non-res is hunting in another state the locals should thank him it keeps their hunting costs down. Our troops are fighting for our rights overseas we shouldn't have these acts of terrorism right in our own back yards done by our hunting brothers. Do you know what that white stuff on the top of chicken shiz is? it's chicken shiz to.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom