Just got bad news

katghoti

I look forward to the Muzzleloader hunt every year and love going with my kid. We don't always get one, but the memories and the time together is worth it. This year my boy and I decided to go to the cache unit instead of the normal unit we go to. So we put in and both of us drew out for tags.

We get hyped up, planning, scouting, practicing shooting, etc. all the fun stuff. Then in July my back started to hurt, annoying at first, but I attributed it to age. We continue to plan, find an area we think we want to go and set a date to go scouting. Then the pain gets worse to the point it is doubling me over, sleep is shortcoming and I find myself gasping for breath. So I go into the doctor...

"Well, looks like you have cancer." The words hit me like a ton of bricks. "You need to get into testing ASAP," he says, "You don't want to wait."

So I am in testing now to determine the extent of the cancer and the next steps. But now, I can't scout the area we picked out. My son has tried, but he is more concerned about me than looking for deer. I just got back this week from my last test and set up a plan for my treatment. I asked the doctor if I could still go out for the hunt and he said that I should be able to, but to "take it easy" and not over do it. Also, if the pain gets to bad, don't go at all. This is assuming that my pain is moderated and the treatments don't take all my energy

So now, my son and I are discouraged. We want to go out, but it may be for a few days at most and now scouting is out. Is someone willing to help point us to a couple of places that we could try and hit up? I want to try and make this a good time for me and my boy because it will most likely be a long time before I can go back out again.

Thanks all.

Man, I feel your pain! Had the exact same thing happen to me in 2017. Bladder cancer, chemo, surgery, etc.
Had a limited bull tag I drew in Colorado. Cost me my 16 points. Didn't want to turn it back, didn't know if I'd live to go again. Prognosis was bad- they gave me a 10% chance to live 2 years!!
So I went. My buddy and I had a mutual friend with a young son that was a packing fool. Took that kid in case we got lucky. Was sure glad we had him! He ended up packing both bulls by himself. He even carried my rifle.
I was puking and sick and tired and wishing I was dead! But was the trip of a lifetime!
Cache is a tough deer unit, but there's a few around. It doesn't matter. Just go out, enjoy the trip. Spend a pile of time glossing from the road, you'll have a fine time and maybe even get something!!
Let me tell you- get yourself some legit CBD oil from a medical outlet. It will save your hunt. I didn't take a single prescription pain or nausea med. That stuff works, but has side effects that are almost as bad as chemo! Its a miracle drug!
PS- 4-1/2yr later, in remission, missing a bunch of guts, but doing ok!

Prayers and best wishes to you. Never have set foot in he Cache. Drove through a few times and look like good area. Don't put much pressure on yourself and just make some great memories.

That's a bad deal, Sorry to hear you have to deal with that. Do what you can to get well and then hunt when you're able.
#CancerSucks

Prayers up. Sorry to hear this, but the hunts will be there in the future. The time spent with family will mean more looking back in this down the road.

Sending prayers. There was a point in my life that I battled cancer to. Six months of chemo and surgeries and was able to beat it. Thank you Lord. Last chemo was in June and by September I was able to go on a Montana elk hunt. I pray that you can do the same.

Best of Luck to you and your son, my son and I do the very same thing every year. The planning and getting there are as much fun as the hunt itself.
Keep the faith everything is for a reason it may take a while but you will see it when the time comes.
Prayers sent

Playing the kid card in addition to the cancer card. Haven’t seen that one yet. Nice touch.

turn your tags in and focus on getting better this year. Try again next for a unit you are familiar with.
You sound like deerkiller…deerkiller, that you?

Praying for you and your family. From a boomer! Went through the same thing with my Daddy. Memories make us rich. Hope and pray you get better and make a lot more memories!

I’m praying for u to have a speedy recovery ❤️‍? I don’t know anything about the unit go have fun and enjoy the memories!
Where has deer killer been ?

Geez!!!… That’s horrible!!! Prayers to you & good luck kicking that crap in the butt. Hopefully you will get to go & spend some time out there with your boy.

I hope he is playing the kid/cancer card. That would mean one less person is struggling with this horrible disease. I will say a prayer for you and wish you well either way.

For those that think this is a tactic to get help, I would be more concerned that he only has two post. I generally like to help people that have helped others

Hey dh?

Check your PM!

I hope he is playing the kid/cancer card. That would mean one less person is struggling with this horrible disease. I will say a prayer for you and wish you well either way.

For those that think this is a tactic to get help, I would be more concerned that he only has two post. I generally like to help people that have helped others

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom